IDW #109: Supersonic Pizza Scooter - Voting
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for you favourite entry in this round of IDW!

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • B-Man

12 22.22%
  • PheKt

16 29.63%
  • I-Z

0 0%
  • Pixie Trick

0 0%
  • NickTrip

3 5.56%
  • maeshanne

2 3.70%
  • Dan Levy

0 0%
  • Teh Gosu

9 16.67%
  • vorp

0 0%
  • John McKenna

1 1.85%
  • multadroit

0 0%
  • alive

1 1.85%
  • NR43

1 1.85%
  • Faeruithir

0 0%
  • Vibhas Virwani

9 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: IDW #109: Supersonic Pizza Scooter - Voting

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Icon IDW #109: Supersonic Pizza Scooter - Voting

IDW #109 Topic: Supersonic Pizza Scooter

Deadline: Sunday, September 13

No voting for your own entries! I repeat, no voting for your own entries

Give critiques and comments, we're all here to learn from each other!

Original thread: IDW #109: Supersonic Pizza Scooter

Name:  IDW logo poll smaller.JPG
Views: 1329
Size:  7.5 KB

Last edited by yoitisi; September 6th, 2009 at 05:32 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  IDW#109_B-man.jpg
Views: 2140
Size:  302.9 KB

Björn Silfverberg

B-Mans Spanking

Friends sketchbooks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

so i herd u liek pizza

some background info on the image

Attached Images Attached Images  

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PheKt For This Useful Post:

I-Z is offline Concept Design :: Visual Development :: Illustration Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Designed in 3 modes for Speed, Agility and a bit of both

Pixie Trick is offline Industrial Design of the Week Leader
    Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Supersonic Pizza Scooter was first used on Nova Terra III. As the first planet set aside exclusively for agricultural purposes, the population was low and widespread. One family would farm large expanses, tens of kilometers sqare, as they were needed only to care for livestock injuries and mechanical repair. As the settlers were direct immigrants from the bustling metropolises of Earth, they were unhappy with the lack of services that could be provided compared to earlier in their lives. A fellow immigrant and entrepreneur, Samuel Ri'cland, saw this need and stared the first pizza delivery system. He scavenged from the rusting hulks of old spacecraft, and created the first supersonic scooter to start. It had to be easily maneuverable in the city, where the pizzas were made, but be able to go at high speeds on the grid system routes to the distant farms. In time, he advanced his design, and it is now being used by other pizza companies, as well as by couriers.

Name:  scooterish final.jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  129.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maggie, of the locally famous "Maggie's Pizza", custom built this pizza delivery scooter in order to cross the great "Endless" desert between her home town and the "Next" town. She declared that even if an order came from across the Endless, she would still deliver in 30 minutes or less.

Everyone around her asked "Why-a you go through-a so-a much-a trouble-a, Maggie-a? Why-a not-a open a new-a store in Next-a town-a and-a hire a nice-a young-a boy-a to run-a the new-a shope-a?"

But her pizza recipe was super secret and couldn't be shared with anyone, not a single soul!

My Website / My Sketchbook / My DeviantArt

Garlunk|Human|lvl07|pvp00|E0|Siren's Well
    Tomyris|Mystical|lvl02|pvp00|E0|Killrog's Palace
    PAINT HAMMER! The Art Making RPG!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is my final, it isnt as finished as i wanted it to be. But i think the concept is clear.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    scooter concept on photoshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The industry standard Pizza Scooter. The SS 9000 has a maximum speed of 500km/h, with excellent handling and maneuvrability, making it ideal for Skycity travel. The inferior gravitron projectors are finely tuned, making balancing, braking, and those difficult turns effortless. The front levers give optimum control over throttle and altitude, while the foot pedals control front and rear thrust, designed for slower travel. The levers are attached to the "joystick" which can be shifted in all directions, giving optimum control over direction. Pizzas are located under seat with added heater, ensuring pizzas stay oven fresh, even during those slightly longer journeys.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

IDW#109 supersonic pizza courier

In the future, the world is getting densely populated and people are forced to live in extremely tall skyscrapers. Elevators are elaborate (slow/low capacity) so transportation through sky is a lot more efficient. Also, the rich and poor are getting more separated and crime rates are higher then ever.

Pizza’s are still popular in the future and have to be delivered. The typical scooter is being replaced by an air transportation vehicle, called a speeder. Being a pizza courier in the near future is a very dangerous business, because they need to deliver in the bad parts of town as well, where they often get robbed and killed for the loot. Luckily, when the courier is in danger, he can get into supersonic mode (push the big fat red button). Once this is used, the speeder will go to supersonic speed in 6 seconds. It’s wise to aim at the sky because once it is used inside the city, you’ll crash for sure :p

“it’s a shitty job, but it’s good money … and I like money…”

Last edited by JellevdVegt; September 5th, 2009 at 03:13 PM. Reason: fat red button

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JellevdVegt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After retiring from the Coalition Air Force, former fighter pilot Ed "The Eagle" Walowski decided to try his hand as a restauranteur. Using his retirement pension, he bought and stripped out a single U-38 E pulse-jet engine from a decommissioned F-108 Strike Falcon. After a year of work and countless modifications, Ed now has the fastest delivery vehicle in the entire Eastern Sector. He has quickly built up a loyal customer base across the entire continent with an average delivery time of just 15 minutes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Let's go

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After market after burner added for supersonic burst capability.
    Pizzas normally ruined afterwards, but most people pre-pay, so...no biggie.

Boston Area Splinter Cell 36: Jushra | Vorp | Purb36 | PartialArtist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was a lot of fun, there's some really cool designs this time around!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    scooter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And now, off to bed...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great work everybody, great topic, cant wait for the next one
    ps. i know on the green one i deviated from the design , i had to change the 3/4 design in order to make it better, my favorite is the red one i think it has the most pizza feel to it I think

Last edited by alive; September 6th, 2009 at 12:45 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome Entries!

Here's mine, hope you like it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres my submission

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Figured that if we are supposed to drive at that speed we'll need to change the orientation of the pizza or the fillling will all be at one end on delivery.

Last edited by Lander; September 6th, 2009 at 03:30 PM. Reason: oups! flipped

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay heres my entry , focused mainly on the design n concept of the vehicle ,

boosters under the vehicle for upthrust
    bosters on the (front) sides are connected to the handle for a low turning radius
    pizza boxes are stacked behind the seat of the driver
    and thers lots more of that sorts which im too lazy to list ATM

good luck to everyone , great entries so far
    this round was too much fun thanks everyone
    -vibhas

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few notes on this round as usual:

It seemed like a pretty popular round, seeing as that there were 20 entries in total. Rather exceptional for IDW However, this also means that I took the liberty of applying a bit of quality control as I mentioned a few rounds earlier. These are:

AprimeD: While the very general layout and idea behind your concept might be somewhat clear, the image is rendered really flat and lacks most detail. It looks too rushed. Take more time out for your work and really invest in it next time is my advice. Also, pay attention to lighting and communicating form.

NoShot:Almost made it, but what kept it from the poll was the added but unfinished character. Silhouetted or simplified characters might work to explain scale of your design, unfinished characters rather distract from the actual vehicle I'm afraid. Also, try and define shape and watch your lighting.

Feil Magnus: I'm afraid both views look too much like a quick paintover or copy of an photograph of an existing scooter, and the added parts are hard to distinguish or read. If you're not sure you can pull renderings off in perspective view, try orthogonal views to figure out your design first.

Miran: Yours also almost made it to poll, but you used a lot of blur and smoke to actually hide your design, rather than enhance the image. Combined with a rather unfinished look I think you could've spend a little more time on it.

Lander: While I like the concept of changing the orientation of the the pizza's, it isn't really clear where the scooter gets its speed from, and the painting looks really rushed.

That said, I hope these crits helped a little and to see you guys back next round

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yoitisi,
    No problem. I was trying to go for a sort of "ghosted" figure outline similar in intent to a silhouette, but I can see how it came across as an unfinished character. Fun topic though! I voted for Phekt.

Pixie Trick is offline Industrial Design of the Week Leader
    Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great to see so many entries!!!!!! Great job everyone. It was really hard to decide who to vote for, but it ended up being for vibhas virwani. Nice render. Nice design. Power sources are clear. It's aerodynamic (my sticking point on this topic). Bg is a bit boring. Noting a nice funky texture brush on low opacity couldn't fix.

Crits (*the usual feel free to ignore disclaimer) ):

B-man: I think the smiley on the backrest sums your piece up. Cute! I'm not sure I would actually sit on it and trust it to stay in one piece, let alone go supersonic, but definitely fun.

PheKt: I really like the shape and the colours of your scooter. It looks a bit flat, and I can't see it being easily maneuverable.

I-Z: I like the bending idea for this. Your more fully rendered image is a bit confusing and hard to read. I think you used the smudge to try to show motion (I'm probably wrong ) which would work best if all of the smudging were being done in the direction of the movement.

NickTrip: Love the story! I cant' decide if I like or dislike the overall grain texture. Before the story, it was distracting, but afterward I saw why it was there.

maeshanne: Net idea! I would have liked to have seen the scooter version of the bot too.

AprimeD: Everything yoitisi said.

Dan Levy: Clean design. I like how you kept some texture in the surface of the scooter. A hint for glowing things like lights is to put the colour mixed with a little white in the centre. Another little thing, is that I looked at the right one first and saw a radioactive sign on the pizza compartment and had a wtf moment. There's also a little L shaped thing on the left one that isn't on the right one. Just little minor nitpicks.

Teh Goshu: I saw the lines in the wip thread and was looking forward to it in full colour! I really like the sketch and the design of the scooter. MAybe next time you'll have more time.

NoShot: Ditto what yoitisi said. Maybe use a higher opacity brush too.

Fiel Magnus: I'm wondering where the silver pieces on the sides would go when it was in slow mode?

Vorp: Clean design. Uncomfortable seat. No repeat customers......

John Mckenna: Nice design. Your painting appears to be a bit 'blobby'. I think it's an accumulation of things, but I'm not too sure.

Multadroit: I would do a study or two, or just look a bit harder at how the materials you're trying to portray reflect light. You have specular hilights all over the place, and large amounts of middle tone, without broader areas of plain hilights. The direction of your light source is also a bit unclear.

Miran: Ditto yoitisi.

Alive: The green's my fave. I like all of them though. I didn't vote for yours partially because I'm not able to show which of the three I'm voting for via this system. O, and more nitpicking: I noticed each had at leas one thing different from the side to the 3/4s view.

NR43: I think centreing the scooter in the frame would help here. You have a lot of empty space to the left that can just be cropped off.

Faeurithir: Makes me think of a rickshaw crossed with a scooter almost. The striped bg is a bit distracting.

Lander: Ditto yoitisi:

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pixie Trick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yoitsi, what can I say...

I could've gone for the initial simpler version - a rendered scooter over a gradient background but I got an idea and decided to bite the bullet and try to squeeze everything withing a couple of days.

I could've uploaded some of the backup WIPs without atmospherics and scenery but I guess it was too late for a warning or something... :-/

Coulda, woulda, shoulda... spilt milk... etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What do you mean rushed I guess 20 minutes is a bit short. I totally didn't have the time for this but I thought it would be fun and different from what I do. So time for some hard surface rendering studies. Cheers every one and I'm glad to be in here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice designs yalll!'

vibhas virwani: hmm, how can anyone sit in that vehicle? i think the driver will bump his head on that roof. i dont understand the form of the seat, how can anyone sit in there?

Phekt: ok, i like the graphical look, it's a nice silhouette and all... but i think you miss a bit of depth in your design. I dont understand any relation with pizza's, apart from the 'multiply layer' domino logo you added on.. i think you haven't looked at what is typical about a pizza courier in real life.

alive: cool renderings! what is the purpose of these elephant like tentacle forms on these two scooters? the are pretty dominant shapes, im wondering why they are there.

maeshanne: i dont understand how this vehicle can go supersonic

B-man, i like that you went with a cute version, totally cool.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JellevdVegt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Miran: Yah I probably should've given a bit of a warning to some people earlier, though you did post it only yesterday I'll try and keep an eye on the WIP thread this time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh Gosu View Post
    vibhas virwani: hmm, how can anyone sit in that vehicle? i think the driver will bump his head on that roof. i dont understand the form of the seat, how can anyone sit in there?

alive: cool renderings! what is the purpose of these elephant like tentacle forms on these two scooters? the are pretty dominant shapes, im wondering why they are there.
    @Teh Gosu : I am glad you asked , yep i have thought of that too ill make a sillhoutte of a person on the seat soon and show you with the help of that , its a two seater vehicle , its just that i didnt get enough time to finish the image as well as i would have wanted to .

@alive : yeah i agree with Teh gosu a little bit , great rendering for sure but i thought that your designs looked a bit bulky and as for concepts they didnt really seem aerodynamically supersonic . and other stuff like if its supersonic then there needs to be some protection even and other practical stuff , but great stuff anyways

I-Z is offline Concept Design :: Visual Development :: Illustration Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good turn out! like the different approaches to the designs,
    Pixie trick: the smudge lines was supposed to suggest heat haze coming from the boosters but i can understand why its confusing, thanks for the crit, can only improve from it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.