Page 22 of 74 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 72 ... LastLast

Thread: Ringling College of Art and Design 2010 Hopefuls

Thanks
    Ah I see, ditto. I wanna hold out for my art teacher, but he hasn't gotten to mine yet and another teacher has already submitted his....guhhhhh.
    Nikkatzu's Well of Forever...or sketchbook. (Update 1/23) Please criticize it unmercifully : http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...32#post2555232

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoshell View Post
    What, really? I already sent in my online app on commonapp, and I was gonna send in my teacher recommendation stuff by mail. Where did you hear that from? I don't know how to send in the school forms online, because mine doesn't have the "invite" option. I asked my counselor how to send it online, but she told me it would just be easier to mail it.
    o.o me too! I've already sent in my online application and I'm going to send in my transcripts and teacher recommendation forms by mail =X

Thanks
    Ahhh damnit...i did it wrong...>_> I have four invites and one confirmed teacher.
    Would anyone care to take a looksie at my sketchbook? I'm just curious about how I may hold up...I'm hoping to get into CA, and I've also been trying to upload a demo reel of some 2d animation I've done in flash (I know its usually not a good idea to do that but when i showed admissions they said that in my case it was good enough that it would likely help my portfolio if it was my best work) but the file wont upload .
    Last edited by Nikkatzu; December 15th, 2009 at 12:00 AM.
    Nikkatzu's Well of Forever...or sketchbook. (Update 1/23) Please criticize it unmercifully : http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...32#post2555232

Thanks
    Looking good Nikkatzu. Push your figures you figures more, both traditionally and experimentally. Try things differently, look at things in regards to shape, force, straight vs. curved, shadow, etc, etc. Take the time to focus on drawing solely in regards to each one. Play around and experiment and direct it too. Push beyond your boundaries of default.

Also, you aspiring GADs may be interested in this:
    http://athey.deviantart.com/art/Game...uden-145619882
    Athey went to Digipen, graduated and worked out of field for a couple of years (blockbuster...), then got a temporary in job at Sony, was hired, and has been working there for the past few years. Last I checked she was working on PSP games.

Happy winter break everybody!
    and good luck to all of you who are finishing up your portfolios!

Thanks
    I don't have an invite option, so I gave both of my teachers the evaluation forms, and a stamped envelope. I have their number so I can contact them, so that part of applying is done. I also have my application fee finished, I just gotta wait for the 22nd of this month to get my Transcript to send Ringling my grades.

My portfolio is my biggest worry, At school I draw with confidence, but at home, in the environment I'm in, i just can't concentrate at all. I'm more comfortable drawing on a big easel then drawing on a sketchbook at the computer. But, I have to get the rest of my portfolio done no matter what.

Thanks
    I don't have an invite option, so I gave both of my teachers the evaluation forms, and a stamped envelope. I have their number so I can contact them, so that part of applying is done. I also have my application fee finished, I just gotta wait for the 22nd of this month to get my Transcript to send Ringling my grades.

My portfolio is my biggest worry, At school I draw with confidence, but at home, in the environment I'm in, i just can't concentrate at all. I'm more comfortable drawing on a big easel then drawing on a sketchbook at the computer. But, I have to get the rest of my portfolio done no matter what.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DanialGlover View Post

Will you art teacher let you come in before school or stay after to draw? Or if there is too much going on at home try getting up early or staying up later

Thanks
    Go outside! Unless you live up north... then I can totally see why you wouldn't want to...

Cafes, libraries, etc are all great places to go draw and get out of the house.

Thanks
    Sooo, I just called the Admissions Office and she said it was okay to send forms both online and by mail.

Thanks
    Just do what I did- I cleared out a corner of a storage room in my basement and put up some white sheets to cover the junk. ta-da, instant studio.

Thanks
    Thanks Liz, I've been trying to push my figures more recently, planning to submit my portfolio at the end of this month. Does that all have to be submitted at the same time on Slideroom or can I upload and then submit?

Also, something Ive been extremely paranoid about, over the past 4 years at my high school various stress related issues and such have really interfered with my performance. My first year I had a 2.3, and my second i had a 2.2 average, Last year was somewhere in between a 2.9 and a 3.0 and this year (even though the transcript i think that has been sent averages out to a 3.3 because one grade that is now in the 90s was a 70) so far is in the 3.6-3.7 range. A friend of mine said that if I had stated the stress prob on my application it would have been noted, but I've already submitted it, so does that upward trend get recognized too?

Edit: Additionally, I know that normally it isn't a good idea to submit animations in a portfolio, but when I visited and showed some of mine, the admissions counselor that I was talking to actually encouraged me to put together a demo reel of my best work. Is this truly a good idea and if so how long should i make it?

Thanks
    I don't know about portfolio submission. I would find out from someone applying now or just call up admissions. My year they were having people send in their work on CDs, but I see that's changed...

Hopefully they'll look at your progress. I've heard that schools in general look more at the junior and seniors years as indicators of performance, but it's all done and said now, just wait and see. Portfolio is point #1 anyways.

Unless it really is legitimately good animation I would leave it out. That's just a general consensus. Some people applying do actually have real industry experience though, and I think including animation in a portfolio is more for them (or crazy kids who have too much time on their hands and have read through the animators survival kit and the illusion of life, etc). It's only a good idea if it is truly good, and 98% of the time it's not.

Page 22 of 74 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 72 ... LastLast