Page 18 of 74 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 68 ... LastLast

Thread: Ringling College of Art and Design 2010 Hopefuls

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Azheryn View Post
    See, I would be taking a figure drawing class if they were offered where I live. Unfortunately, figure-drawing classes are pretty much unheard of in the town that I live in, as far as I know.
    Actually, there are some figure drawing classes here now. However, they are not offered often, and they take place during school hours from what I've heard. I've meant to look into them more, but until school lets out for Christmas break, I probably won't be able to.

--

And dang, Yates, if that's not enough work, I'm in trouble! Lol! I've got some observational stuff (over half the required minimum at least). I've been kinda slow with all the other stuff going on in my life. But I'm starting to pick up the slack. Been doing alot more recently. If I can keep up this pace, it'll all be good. ;]
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    See, I would be taking a figure drawing class if they were offered where I live. Unfortunately, figure-drawing classes are pretty much unheard of in the town that I live in, as far as I know. Locals would probably consider them blasphemous. xD But my two cents are that if you have access to figure drawing courses, you should definitely take them.
    -
    That's unfortunate. Where do you live? o.O And yeah, I think I'm gonna go to a few drop-in figure drawing classes next week. I am anxious! Looks like next month is gonna be busy for a lot of us.

Thanks
    i dont think i have any non observational, should probably get on that..

Thanks
    Don't worry about having non-observational work in your portfolio yet. It really doesn't matter at this point. Just create observational work in an interesting way.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to thesinfulsaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishcup View Post
    Actually, there are some figure drawing classes here now. However, they are not offered often, and they take place during school hours from what I've heard. I've meant to look into them more, but until school lets out for Christmas break, I probably won't be able to.
    Huh, woah, really? o_O That's news to me...aughh I wish they didn't take place during school hours. >< I would totally look into doing them over Christmas if I wasn't going to be in North Carolina then... :/

Quote Originally Posted by Mangoshell
    That's unfortunate. Where do you live? o.O And yeah, I think I'm gonna go to a few drop-in figure drawing classes next week. I am anxious! Looks like next month is gonna be busy for a lot of us.
    A small town in Texas, actually. Closest figure drawing classes would probably be in San Antonio or Austin, both of which are about an hour/an hour and a half away. xD;

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinV View Post
    Good stuff, thanks for clearing some of those misconceptions up guys. Now I am wanting to learn towards GAD. I don't want to just draw and paint (it wouldn't be bad though) I want some "technical" aspect involved too.

I heard they were starting to introduce 3D modeling to ill majors, is that true? It would be really awesome.
    While you won't be touching any hard code (C++, C#, etc.), you will be doing some scripting work (Unreal Kismet, UnrealScript, Python, MEL) depending on your level of interest in those areas. A couple of us are looking into just how far away from Unreal Tournament we can get the gameplay without needing to break into the C++ code. In the 2nd semester of your Sophomore year of GAD you'll be taking a scripting course in MEL, Python, and Unreal.

The Illustrators are modeling using Zbrush, as mentioned above. GAD also does modeling in Maya and Mudbox, with all our final products in our 3D class being in the Unreal 3 Engine.

So don't you worry, GAD gets technical.
    Junior, Game Art and Design
    Ringling College of Art and Design

Thanks
    A small town in Texas, actually. Closest figure drawing classes would probably be in San Antonio or Austin, both of which are about an hour/an hour and a half away. xD;
    I'm a junior here in the same situation. Stuck in a small Texas town with NO life drawing. It's extremely conservative where I live [the only acceptable art: cowboys and bluebonnets]. I went EVERYWHERE in town and the only place I could find was a shady group of old men who draw nudes in a barn.

I'm not applying this year... but I am following this thread for next year. I was hoping to get life drawing practice before senior year... oh well. Just know that I completely understand your situation, Azheryn.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Praemium View Post
    I went EVERYWHERE in town and the only place I could find was a shady group of old men who draw nudes in a barn.
    Sorry to butt in, but, thank you. This made me laugh so hard.

Thanks
    So i've been doing a lot of drawings lately (ps...i am now OBSESSED with soft pastel and colored pencils!) and have been wondering...how important is it that drawings for a portfolio have backgrounds?

I almost feel like adding a background would take away from the drawing, such as when i'm drawing something from observation or doing a portrait.

second...i've seen a loooot of portfolios that are just black and white drawings and such. is color discouraged? or just not done often? cause I love it!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gabs View Post
    So i've been doing a lot of drawings lately (ps...i am now OBSESSED with soft pastel and colored pencils!) and have been wondering...how important is it that drawings for a portfolio have backgrounds?

I almost feel like adding a background would take away from the drawing, such as when i'm drawing something from observation or doing a portrait.

second...i've seen a loooot of portfolios that are just black and white drawings and such. is color discouraged? or just not done often? cause I love it!
    Funny thing. I kinda had the same idea in my head. Most of my drawings that I took when I met with the admissions counselor had no backgrounds. That was the main thing he addressed in the meeting. He told me that including backgrounds in your work is definitely something you want to think about since it can help the person actually looking that the piece understand the perspective and light source better. It makes the main focus of the piece appear more realistic in general. So yeah, I would definitely try to do backgrounds on at least a few of them.

And from what I've heard and seen, color is just as spiff as black and white. There shouldn't be a problem with tossing some color in there.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fishcup For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    So far 2 of my portraits are finished, and possibly 3 figure drawing studies. The rest will probably be more figure drawings on either grey or black/white big paper.

Thanks

I am applying to Ringling!

I am applying to Ringling and I really hope I get accepted since it is my dream school! I am applying for the Game Art & Design program and I was wondering how hard it is to get into? What kind of art should I include in my portfolio? (I'm nervous) and was it hard for any of you to get in? I also would like to make friends that are applying or already enrolled at Ringling. Does anyone have any messengers to chat, I also have livejournal, myspace and facebook?

Thanks
    See, I would be taking a figure drawing class if they were offered where I live. Unfortunately, figure-drawing classes are pretty much unheard of in the town that I live in, as far as I know. Locals would probably consider them blasphemous. xD But my two cents are that if you have access to figure drawing courses, you should definitely take them.

My portfolio is coming along but is currently on stand-still as I'm working to finish a piece (have to have it finished by December 4) for a contest that could potentially rake in some scholarship money. Said piece that I'm working on will definitely be put in my portfolio, however, so in a way, I am still working on my portfolio. -nodnod-

Hey I'm from Texas too and I have no place to go to live drawing classes. So you are applying to Ringling too?? We have to be friends then so we can help eachother out and I added you on Aim. So what part of Tx are u from I'm an hour south of Corpus Christi.

Page 18 of 74 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 68 ... LastLast