Page 18 of 64 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Oh ya, that's where I got mine from too, I just remembered.
    Patience is a virtue, but who wants to be virtuous?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hi, I don't think I ever actually introduced myself, but hi. I'm Maggie. I'm applying for fall 2010, and most likely to the CA program.
    I've been lurking for a while, though, so I guess I've picked up a bit.
    And I'm actually writing a piece on animation and how it has evolved and such for a school newspaper. Since some of you are studying at the top school in the country and learning all the new technology as is comes, might I be able to ask one or two of you some questions? It would just be over email, simple stuff about what you are learning/the techology/your opinion on animation. So, yeah. If you could, just PM me. That'd be great, and I know it seems like a lot, so if you can't, don't worry about it. Thanks for all your help in the application process!

To the rest of you, how is the application process going? Portfolios ready?

Thanks
    Wow, I had no clue one a thread like this existed! I'm glad to have stumble upon this in my college search! =) *waves to everyone*

Ringling just recently hit my list of schools I want to apply to. =) I know they're know for their computer animation program, but what about illustration? I'm assuming it's pretty good since "34 illustrations (twice as many as any other school) were chosen out of a possible 5,600 pieces submitted by colleges throughout the country." I read somewhere that even topped RISD's record!

I know what to do for the college app and where I need to be with my grades, so I'm good there. The thing I'm most concerned about is COST. =( I heard that Ringling doesn't award any scholarships based on portfolios. I've recently talked to a Ringling rep at Portfolio Day and I asked her about it. I didn't get a clear answer, but I did find out that there are more scholarships than just grade based ones. So I was wondering, does anyone know what the average scholarship is? Or could some one tell me a little more about financial aid? I'm also curious about the average amount of debt students leave with at graduation too. =( I need to know how to pay for $30,000 tuition and $10,000-13,000 Room + Board price tag! x_x Cost seems like a deciding factor for me right now. =( Ringling is like my dream school, but if I can't go there it's not the end of the world.

I'm sorry, I have a TON of questions. >< Since the room + board price is a bit high, I'm looking into apartments not sponsored by the college. Are there any good apartment complexes in nearby (30-40min max)? What is the average cost of an apartment? About how long does a full year at college last? I tired Googling FL apartments and got diddly squat. =( I'm not a FL resident so I'm at loss about many things. @_@

Thanks! =)
    Last edited by hopebay; December 7th, 2009 at 03:54 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hopebay View Post
    Wow, I had no clue one a thread like this existed! I'm glad to have stumble upon this in my college search! =) *waves to everyone*

Ringling just recently hit my list of schools I want to apply to. =) I know they're know for their computer animation program, but what about illustration? I'm assuming it's pretty good since "34 illustrations (twice as many as any other school) were chosen out of a possible 5,600 pieces submitted by colleges throughout the country." I read somewhere that even topped RISD's record!

I know what to do for the college app and where I need to be with my grades, so I'm good there. The thing I'm most concerned about is COST. =( I heard that Ringling doesn't award any scholarships based on portfolios. I've recently talked to a Ringling rep at Portfolio Day and I asked her about it. I didn't get a clear answer, but I did find out that there are more scholarships than just grade based ones. So I was wondering, does anyone know what the average scholarship is? Or could some one tell me a little more about financial aid? I'm also curious about the average amount of debt students leave with at graduation too. =( I need to know how to pay for $30,000 tuition and $10,000-13,000 Room + Board price tag! x_x Cost seems like a deciding factor for me right now. =( Ringling is like my dream school, but if I can't go there it's not the end of the world.

I'm sorry, I have a TON of questions. >< Since the room + board price is a bit high, I'm looking into apartments not sponsored by the college. Are there any good apartment complexes in nearby (30-40min max)? What is the average cost of an apartment? About how long does a full year at college last? I tired Googling FL apartments and got diddly squat. =( I'm not a FL resident so I'm at loss about many things. @_@

Thanks! =)
    I am a recent graduate of Ringling and received a BFA in Illustration so I'll do my best to answer any questions.

As far as private art schools go, Ringling is one of - if not the - top illustration program in the country. It is also one of the more affordable options compared to other top art schools (talking strictly about private art schools - community colleges and public universities are the most affordable art degree options), taking into account cost of living in Sarasota as compared to places like NYC and California. There are affordable places to rent in the area, though I would be wary of anything too close to campus as it's a dangerous part of town. I lived about 5-10 minutes away from campus in an apartment complex for a fairly affordable price. I could easily recommend them if anyone is curious about off campus options that I know several students live in. There are benefits to living on and off, so it's up to you.

Look for local scholarships - most of my money I received a year (~$15,000), came from local scholarship programs that I applied to through my high school. I know not every community/high school has a large population of wealthy, old Greeks with awesome scholarship programs set up, but look into your local options. There is money out there and every little bit will help.

Inevitably, your education is what you make of it. If you put in the time and energy and dedication into Ringling, you will do well. I don't want to scare you but the reality of student loans are hitting a lot of us recent graduates. Really research who you are borrowing from and their interest rates and be active in setting up your repayment plan. My boyfriend has been on the phone with Sallie Mae for months trying to sign up for a less aggressive, more reasonable monthly payment option - it's a grim reality of going to an expensive private school. However, he is also working full time at a creative studio so I know he doesn't regret his loan payments as he is doing what he loves for a living. It's an investment in your future and career.

Also, on a side note, my education wouldn't be what it is today without the Illustration Academy - which is now the Visual Literacy Program - and Conceptart.org. If you're looking for an affordable education and access to industry professionals providing feedback to you, the VLP is an excellent provider. Pursue whatever will make you the best creator you can be; you're investment will only make you a better artist.

You can email me with any questions at skmarino@me.com and I'd be happy to give feedback.

Thanks
    Hi guys! I'm applying for CA 2010. Here are some examples of the life drawings that I plan to send in. It would be great if I can have some feedback regarding my chances of getting into CA and where I can improve on =) I also plan to do a couple of still life, self potraits too. Is it necessary to have fully rendered pieces?

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p...ate/portfolio/

=D

Thanks
    I've got my applications printed out, the evaluation forms still confuse the hell out of me online, so I'm probably printing them out with the rest of the stuff, filling out my part, and giving it to my professors this week(tomorrow and Monday)

I still need my $70 for the application fee, and I've got a few more portfolio pieces left.

Other than that I'm pretty much set for acceptance or rejection for the college. I can only hope to get accepted.
    Last edited by DanialGlover; December 12th, 2009 at 03:57 PM.

Thanks
    The application fee went up to $70???
    I think it was only $50 when I applied two years ago :/

Thanks
    Seems like they're raising the prices every year... Has the cost of tuition gone up as well? 'Cause on collegeboard it says its 28,924...and the last time I checked, wasn't it 27,000 ish? This is making me sad.

Anyway, I just got a spiffy calendar from Ringling in the mail

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoshell View Post
    Seems like they're raising the prices every year... Has the cost of tuition gone up as well? 'Cause on collegeboard it says its 28,924...and the last time I checked, wasn't it 27,000 ish? This is making me sad.

Anyway, I just got a spiffy calendar from Ringling in the mail
    me too!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by yyates05 View Post
    me too!
    yayyy

Thanks
    Hola all, also a Ringling 2010 hopeful, plan to post up sketchbooks, my portfolio stuff and my demo reel. I'm going for CA >.>.

Edit: Sketchbook posted. I have a few questions about letters of recommendation, I have 4 teachers doing letters and one counselor, apparently they are all physically sending it. How long does it usually take to process in the system when it gets there and should I call about it? Also, do I just use the school address or use the email option from the Common App? It's been very confusing submitting....

Additionally does my application have to be in before my portfolio on slideroom?
    Last edited by Nikkatzu; December 14th, 2009 at 04:08 AM. Reason: Question in thread

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkatzu View Post
    Hola all, also a Ringling 2010 hopeful, plan to post up sketchbooks, my portfolio stuff and my demo reel. I'm going for CA >.>.

Edit: Sketchbook posted. I have a few questions about letters of recommendation, I have 4 teachers doing letters and one counselor, apparently they are all physically sending it. How long does it usually take to process in the system when it gets there and should I call about it? Also, do I just use the school address or use the email option from the Common App? It's been very confusing submitting....

Additionally does my application have to be in before my portfolio on slideroom?
    First of all, you cannot submit part of your application online and part of it in paper form, as far as I know, because then it's difficult to find all parts of the same application. Second, you can only have one teacher letter of recommendation, and one from a counselor. You have to select your two recommenders and invite them by clicking on Ringling, then clicking on "School Forms" on the bottom left and entering their name and e-mail. It will send them an e-mail asking them to upload their letter, but be sure to remind them often!

Thanks
    Yes, you definitely want to check to see if Ringling received your letters of recommendation. My counselor had mind send about month ago, and Ringling never got it!

For some reason, the Common App never gave me the options to send my letters through email. It just says offline in the school form. When I try to click on it a pdf file just opens up.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gabs View Post
    First of all, you cannot submit part of your application online and part of it in paper form, as far as I know, because then it's difficult to find all parts of the same application.
    What, really? I already sent in my online app on commonapp, and I was gonna send in my teacher recommendation stuff by mail. Where did you hear that from? I don't know how to send in the school forms online, because mine doesn't have the "invite" option. I asked my counselor how to send it online, but she told me it would just be easier to mail it.

Quote Originally Posted by gabs View Post
    Second, you can only have one teacher letter of recommendation, and one from a counselor.
    I don't think this is true. You can get 2 teachers to fill out an evaluation form and do a letter each.

This is from their website:

# Ask one of your high school teachers to complete a Teacher Evaluation Form, also at www.commonapp.org under Download Forms.
    # Ask your high school counselor to submit the Secondary School Report, available at www.commonapp.org under Download Forms, OR submit a second Teacher Evaluation form.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by samethsim View Post
    Yes, you definitely want to check to see if Ringling received your letters of recommendation. My counselor had mind send about month ago, and Ringling never got it!

For some reason, the Common App never gave me the options to send my letters through email. It just says offline in the school form. When I try to click on it a pdf file just opens up.
    Yes, I have the same problem! Does it say on the top that there is no "invite" box because your school uses Naviance or College Planner or something like that? I asked my counselor about this and she gave me a vague explaination and told me to just mail the school forms. You should still ask your counselor though, he/she might be more helpful

Page 18 of 64 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast