Ringling College of Art and Design 2010 Hopefuls - Page 14

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cepheuss View Post
    no sleep at all Aurry no sleep at all! I'm drawing during the day and during the night i'm having nightmares about the 15th of January and i wake up with my hand moving around as if its drawing....

" Remember, remember the 15th of January. The charcoal, painting, and figure..."
    hahaha. i fall asleep freaking out about the deadline...it's like i feel guilty for sleeping lol. I should be drawing instead

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Wow...that sounds like winter break and this week. All I've been doing is keeping myself awake using episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and drawing my ass off XD.

Nikkatzu's Well of Forever...or sketchbook. (Update 1/23) Please criticize it unmercifully : http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...32#post2555232

4. Question: How long does it usually take for mail to arrive? I talked to my counselor and she said she was gonna send in my rec and transcripts by the end of this week. (So I guess..Friday?) I live in VA and I'm just paranoid it might arrive late...

Quote Originally Posted by copperfire View Post
    I always love to see the rush I remember how nervous I was. D: I sent my portfolio too late the first time, didn't make it in, buuut went to community college for a year instead, got lots of liberal arts classes out of the way AND got lots of lovely scholarships for Ringling! Applied again the next year and got in! So moral of the story is....

GO GO GO D:!!!

but really, don't stress too much ;3 Good luck everyone! :3

Oooh, that must have felt terrible, even if it was eventually for the best. D:
    Not getting my portfolio in on time is my worst nightmare right now though. There's so much to do and so little time.
    I kept falling asleep accidentally this past week, and now I'm behind. Ugh, I so do not like school right now. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by copperfire View Post
    I always love to see the rush I remember how nervous I was. D: I sent my portfolio too late the first time, didn't make it in, buuut went to community college for a year instead, got lots of liberal arts classes out of the way AND got lots of lovely scholarships for Ringling! Applied again the next year and got in! So moral of the story is....

GO GO GO D:!!!

but really, don't stress too much ;3 Good luck everyone! :3
    I'll probably end up doing the same if I don't go to SCAD but I've been wondering...what are the advantages of getting those classes out of the way?
    Does it save money?

Quote Originally Posted by nkhybrid View Post
    I'll probably end up doing the same if I don't go to SCAD but I've been wondering...what are the advantages of getting those classes out of the way?
    Does it save money?
    The advantage of getting liberal arts courses out of the way is that it opens up space in your course schedule to take the electives that you want. It's considered kind of a waste of money to take general liberal arts courses at an expensive art school. You want to spend your time at Ringling taking art courses, not Psychology 101.

Also, it allows you to lighten your course load Senior year in order to spend more time on your thesis.

Good luck

Patience is a virtue, but who wants to be virtuous?

Cant you always, take Liberal Art classes at a Community College, over the summer, I wonder ?

Look, Iam diet drama, want to spend tha night dont bring pajamas, man there's so much heat beneath clothes, you see me !

JesArt Sketchbook, go have a gander..

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110233

Quote Originally Posted by JesArt View Post
    Cant you always, take Liberal Art classes at a Community College, over the summer, I wonder ?
    Yep, you can do that too.
    The one near me also offers 3 week "mini classes" over Christmas break, where you can get a liberal arts course done super fast. I almost took one over this break, but decided not too. Might do it next Christmas, though.

10. Question: How long does it usually take for mail to arrive? I talked to my counselor and she said she was gonna send in my rec and transcripts by the end of this week. (So I guess..Friday?) I live in VA and I'm just paranoid it might arrive late...
    I wouldn't rely on mail being this late. You should ask your counselor to e-mail it to admissions@ringling.edu if you can. That's what I did just yesterday. I got a copy of my recommendation from my counselor, scan it, and email it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishcup View Post
    Oooh, that must have felt terrible, even if it was eventually for the best. D:
    Not getting my portfolio in on time is my worst nightmare right now though. There's so much to do and so little time.
    I kept falling asleep accidentally this past week, and now I'm behind. Ugh, I so do not like school right now. Haha
    It did D: I felt awful for awhile, but it was indeed for the best I now take lots of super fun classes! weeiiii!
    But yeah, I remember hating high school so much for taking up all my time Never fell asleep accidentally though! LOL I applaud you for your extreme work ethic!

I'm thinking of waiting to apply next year. I have the chance to go to my community college, for free. Yes, for free, up to 12 credit hours, full time, free. So, I was thinking of just getting the liberal arts courses out of the way, so I can enjoy more minors. Granted, I can't do that this semester, since it's already finished being registered for. Summer/Fall and Spring of 11, I'll get my liberal arts out of the way, to apply for Fall 11.

But, exactly which liberal arts classes do I need?

Quote Originally Posted by lowercase View Post
    Yep, you can do that too.
    The one near me also offers 3 week "mini classes" over Christmas break, where you can get a liberal arts course done super fast. I almost took one over this break, but decided not too. Might do it next Christmas, though.
    HOLY, wish on near me did that D: ! I'd so jump on it XD the liberal arts classes here are a joke (well, most of them) , and they make you take some of them regardless of your transfer credits, like science ( I do know of some who were able to transfer out, but more then likely a science class like physics or chemistry or even some biology won't transfer)
    *ramble ramble*

I'm sure that's been discussed here by now lol.

Quote Originally Posted by DanialGlover View Post
    I'm thinking of waiting to apply next year. I have the chance to go to my community college, for free. Yes, for free, up to 12 credit hours, full time, free. So, I was thinking of just getting the liberal arts courses out of the way, so I can enjoy more minors. Granted, I can't do that this semester, since it's already finished being registered for. Summer/Fall and Spring of 11, I'll get my liberal arts out of the way, to apply for Fall 11.

I think that's a great idea! Aaaand if your community college offers art classes, Ringling will take them based on your portfolio They took my drawing and figure for core.
    I would talk to an adviser about what classes transfer. They are VERY picky about some liberal arts, and sometimes they won't take AP (advanced placement credits from high school), for things like, science and psychology (last I heard).

Quote Originally Posted by DanialGlover View Post

I took a year off to go to community college before applying to Ringling, so I can tell you from experience that it's a smart idea. It's given me the luxury of never having to go over 4 classes a semester.

As for what classes to take, I'd try to get some Core studios like figure, drawing 101, color, and the like out of the way. If you can, try to take a class to get rid of 3d design - that class tends to eat up a lot of time.

As for liberal arts, definitely take English 101 so you can get out of writing studio. Also, be sure to take art history 101 and 102 classes as they'll get you out of Ringling's freshman art history classes. No point in paying big bucks for those. My community college actually used the same textbook for those classes as Ringling. Haha.

Psychology 101 is a new requirement for the CA/GAD majors, so take that while you're in community college as well. As for other classes to take during that year, any humanities classes should transfer as ICS courses with no problem. Some may transfer into weird categories (I had a class that I was sure would give me my 'cross cultural' credit, but it was counted as an ICS class), but it will still free up a lot of time.

Finally, though I know it's an unpopular suggestion amongst the CA/GAD faculty, I would try to familiarize yourself with Maya prior to sophomore year. So if you have access to a class that teaches that, take it. Even if it's just getting used to the interface, any sort of experience will help you a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jollesslauds View Post
    If you can, try to take a class to get rid of 3d design - that class tends to eat up a lot of time
    and money.

There's about ten or so liberal arts classes required (not sure if that varies between majors, but I think it's fairly standard). You'll need: english, lit, env sci, cultural, humanities, +5 ICS courses (kind of like the liberal arts grab bag...).

If you are going to to community college to get these out of the way make sure that the exact classes you are taking will transfer. You'll probably need to get in touch with the registrars office. Before you talk to/email them though take the time to look through your CC's course catalogue, pick out the stuff you think you'll be taking, and have it ready. They're not familiar with the courses of other colleges so you need to specifically ask if each one will transfer for such and such requirement. Take the time to do this, they're busy people up there.

Well, I've been in community college for a year, I took the following already.;
    Drawing 1(Drawing 101 I guess) Drawing 2, Life Drawing 1, Life Drawing 2, Portrait Drawing, Portrait painting, Painting 1, Visual Design 1, Graphic Design 1, Color Theory.

These classes were put towards my transfer credit, but not sure how many of them would of transferred.

I don't really mind taking the liberal art classes at Ringling, but it'd just be cheaper to take them here, as the books would be free, and the government is paying for the classes.

For 3d Design, I guess 3d Foundations would be similar?
    And as for Maya, I'm currently taking a 3d Rendering/Modeling course, and an animation course, both using Maya.

For the most part, I guess I could get English, Psychology, and whatever else the counselor tells me are eligible.

There's this funny misconception floating around that if you take classes at a community college and then transfer over to Ringling you'll save money. That's not the case. Ringling doesn't charge per class/credit hour like a lot of other schools do. There is a flat rate (full time) tuition - regardless of however many classes you're signed up to take. If you take less than three classes for a semester then you are considered a part time and pay per class. Four to six classes a semester is considered full time (flat rate applies). Classes over that limit (or a sixth class in the spring semester if you already took six in the fall semester) cost extra. Five classes a semester (or four if all studios) is considered normal.

...just in case anyone didn't know yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzybeth
    There's this funny misconception floating around that if you take classes at a community college and then transfer over to Ringling you'll save money. That's not the case.
    I think part of the misconception is a misunderstanding of how transferring works at Ringling. Generally, people advise you to get your liberal arts and core classes out of the way at a community college, and then transfer into the art school of your choice. You'll enter as a sophomore, and save a full year's tuition.

If you're applying for illustration, graphic design, or another major other than CA or GAD, this is possible. As far as I'm aware, they still accept transfer sophomores. But as has been mentioned by Lizzybeth and others, you should talk with admissions and the registrar's office to verify that 1) the major you're pursuing allows sophomore transfers and 2) the credits you're planning to take will transfer.

With CA and GAD, entering as a sophomore is a lot less certain. I won't say impossible because it has happened - I transferred in as a sophomore with a handful of other students in 2007. But my class was the last time that this happened, to my knowledge. There are a number of factors that go into deciding whether sophomore transfers will be allowed - principle of which being that a new traditional animation class will need to be organized for incoming students to keep up with the sophomore curriculum, and if there isn't room in the schedule, or an available faculty member, then it's not happening. Even when I enrolled, I was told to expect to enter as a freshman, until the last week of July when someone from admissions called and told me I'd gained sophomore status. It was totally last minute and caught me by surprise.

So, as lowercase emphasized, the biggest benefit for CA and GAD applicants to do community college first is to free up some credit hours. If you're ready to enroll in Ringling and don't mind following the laid out curriculum, then by all means, go ahead. If you have reasons you'd like to wait a year, then community college is a smart idea. Some students I know have had to overload their semesters or take intensive classes during their breaks in order to graduate. Believe me, you don't want to get to senior year and have to take six classes when you'd rather be working on your thesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Jollesslauds View Post
    Finally, though I know it's an unpopular suggestion amongst the CA/GAD faculty, I would try to familiarize yourself with Maya prior to sophomore year. So if you have access to a class that teaches that, take it. Even if it's just getting used to the interface, any sort of experience will help you a lot.
    For all of you shootin for CA,
    YEESSS!
    I am SO glad I took a class at my community college, just be warned, it'll be boring and time consuming (at least most community Maya classes are). I almost decided I hated Maya so much that I wanted nothing to do with it. But I took the plunge at Ringling anyway and learned twice as much quickly, plus it was fun Only Maya is the same, you'll still have a love hate relationship :'D

Does anybody know if Ringling has adult students that attend their universities? Like over 30?

a question about all this college credit talk...does Ringling take AP English scores (4/5) for Writing Studio credit? Also, could I get any kind of credit for US History, European History, foreign language AP tests...

24. Really? You don't learn Maya till sophomore year?

25. Can't...click..."Submit Portfolio" button...

Quote Originally Posted by JerzNerd View Post
    Does anybody know if Ringling has adult students that attend their universities? Like over 30?
    I know several people in their mid-late 20s and 30s. I even know a freshman who is 50.

Last edited by kedrew; January 9th, 2010 at 06:59 PM.
    http://kedrewdraws.blogspot.com

My Adventures at Ringling ^

Quote Originally Posted by mangoshell View Post
    Really? You don't learn Maya till sophomore year?
    That's right. Freshman year is all about the Traditional animation and Core Classes.

http://kedrewdraws.blogspot.com

My Adventures at Ringling ^

I know that they definitely accept AP English scores. When I visited, the admissions counselor gave me a list of what AP test scores they take. I think they take most history as well. I am confused about that though. I've been told that all my test scores are acceptable, but I'm not sure as to what liberal arts classes I can be exempt from. Like if I took Psychology and made a 4, do I still need to take it at Ringling?

Also, this might sound like a silly question, but would it be a good idea to fill out all the details on ever piece I submit for my portfolio?

29. Quote Originally Posted by Fishcup View Post

Also, this might sound like a silly question, but would it be a good idea to fill out all the details on ever piece I submit for my portfolio?
    Lol, I was worrying about that too. I just filled everything (including descriptions) anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mangoshell View Post
    Can't...click..."Submit Portfolio" button...
    me either

31. Quote Originally Posted by kedrew View Post
    I know several people in their mid-late 20s and 30s. I even know a freshman who is 50.
    Woww, awesome. Good to hear that people are following their dreams regardless of age!

Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6