Ringling College of Art and Design 2010 Hopefuls

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ringling College of Art and Design 2010 Hopefuls

Link to 2009 hopefuls thread: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=134784

I just had to make this thread. Seeing as it's already like, September...and I've been waiting to see the 2010 thread pop up since I first started lurking in the 2008 hopefuls thread...-crawls out of her secret!corner-

SO! Anybody know if they're going to the open-house in October? o3o

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there! I'm happy to see that there is finally a 2010 thread, too.

I'm aiming to transfer into Ringling's Illustration major as a Sophomore next year. Right now, I am attending a community college in California and taking classes that match up to RCAD's first year curriculum according to an admissions counselor (so it seems like). I want to squeeze in some extra Liberal Art courses and am crossing my fingers that those credits will transfer.

I'm also new here at ConceptArt.org, but hope to meet a lot of Ringling comrades who I'll be seeing in a year. ;D Any advice would be very much appreciated as the months go by and all of us hopefuls prepare our portfolios, essays, etc.

Azheryn: I don't know if I can make it to the Open House in October, but I want to pay a visit to the school before the end of December. Thanks for creating the 2010 thread! I think a lot of people were waiting to see this one appear.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ThuyHo: I was thinking about going to a different college for a year or two to get all of my liberal arts courses out of the way--even if it wouldn't get me in as a sophomore, at least I wouldn't have to worry about those extra classes. But...I think I'll be going straight to art school. 8D

As it stands I've already taken a US History course thought a local community college (dual credit for HS and college) and have taken the AP World history, AP Psychology, and AP English Comp. tests and plan to take the AP English Lit., AP Government, and AP Human Geography tests this year...soo...hopefully that will get quite a few things out of the way. XD Now that I think about it, however, I heard somewhere that Ringling doesn't give credit for the English Lit. Test, and that aside...I'm realizing that I've taken an OBSCENE amount of Social Studies AP tests...not even sure how much good it'd do me to take any more. 8D;

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ohh, another 2010 hopeful here. Watching the 2009 thread was a lot of fun so I'm looking forward to this one. Right now I'm doing community college to knock out some requirements--hopefully I can transfer in as a sophomore. I totally need to get off my ass though, because I haven't got my portfolio started yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good luck guys!

Patience is a virtue, but who wants to be virtuous?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys and gals. Well I am a hopeful probably for no sooner then 2011 but will be posting along with yall here until its my time. Wishing Navy Sailor dreams of working in the gaming industry or on movies. I have alot of work to catch up on if I want to competitive at Ringling. So lets get to it guys!

NewGuy.

"If you want something. Go get it. Period."

Sketchbook : http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=151856&page=4

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys! It's great that you're already starting a new hopeful thread. I'm a sophomore Computer Animation student so if you have any questions, I can attempt to help.. haha. I think there are going to be a lot of applicants this year, so do your very best!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there. I'm Betsy, a Junior Computer Animation student and currently an RA on campus. Soo... I know a lot about both the CA major and campus life! Shoot me an e-mail if you have questions. ebauer@c.ringling.edu

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally apart of this group.

Sketch page coming soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice to see the Ringling 2010 thread has opened! I'm a 1st year CA and I must say Ringling is awesome so far. If anyone has questions, I'll try to assist.

Last edited by kedrew; September 8th, 2009 at 09:28 PM.
    http://kedrewdraws.blogspot.com

My Adventures at Ringling ^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone! I to am a Ringling 2010 hopeful and I've been spying on the 08 and 09 forums for quite sometime lol. I'm going to get a sketch book going soon..
    Quick question though, for anyone who knows, is posemaniacs a good site for gestures? I can't take a figure drawing class, there litarally isn't one being offered in my county.. With that said I don't understand gestures or the figure for that matter. What should I do?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlendOfColors View Post
    Hey everyone! I to am a Ringling 2010 hopeful and I've been spying on the 08 and 09 forums for quite sometime lol. I'm going to get a sketch book going soon..
    Quick question though, for anyone who knows, is posemaniacs a good site for gestures? I can't take a figure drawing class, there litarally isn't one being offered in my county.. With that said I don't understand gestures or the figure for that matter. What should I do?
    posemaniac is good but you can normally tell between that and a true figure, Id say maybe travel to figure class at least once if you can.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by yyates05 View Post
    posemaniac is good but you can normally tell between that and a true figure, Id say maybe travel to figure class at least once if you can.
    Oh.. alrighty I'll do my best to find a figure class then

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are there any community colleges in your area that might have figure classes? Even if you have to travel a little bit, it would be worth it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just searched the near by community college and they do have a course called Introduction to Figure Drawing. I'll see how my parents feel about the cost for it though..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi everyone
    i am applying to ringling 2010 for the CA program. I've been working on my portfolio quite some time and i'll post it up when its completed.
    I have an important question... is the January 15 portfoilio deadline for both domestic and international students?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    posemaniacs is better than nothing. There is, however, no substitute from drawing from life. It just challenges you in different ways, especially in learning to see. Do still lifes, self portraits (with a mirror not a photo!), people watch/gestures. You can draw animals too, they're living just like us and, conveniently enough, are always naked. Zoos, farms, Starbucks, they're all good places.

In addition to community college classes look into open sessions where you pay per visit. The school may have them or you may be able to find them elsewhere around town. Ask around in your local art circles to find out what's out there.

I don't think there's a separate deadline for international students. At least I've never heard of such a thing here. If you're really worried about it though, phone up the school real quick and check.

And just to reiterate, the workload here is killer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    in addition to my figures, still lifes, etc. i am thinking of adding a short animation walk cycle
    what would be more effective a traditional animation or one done in maya?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    in addition to my figures, still lifes, etc. i am thinking of adding a short animation walk cycle
    what would be more effective a traditional animation or one done in maya?
    DO NOT--I repeat--DO NOT include animations OR 3D in your entrance portfolio*. Your portfolio should consist only of observational drawings. The faculty will more than likely label you with an immediate NO if you include 3D or even traditional animation in an otherwise decent portfolio. You are coming here to learn those things. Just show that you have a strong foundation in traditional art.

*The exception to this is if you have a LOT of experience with Maya. (And by a lot, I mean you were more than likely working with the program professionally before attending Ringling.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by thesinfulsaint View Post
    DO NOT--I repeat--DO NOT include animations OR 3D in your entrance portfolio*. Your portfolio should consist only of observational drawings. The faculty will more than likely label you with an immediate NO if you include 3D or even traditional animation in an otherwise decent portfolio. You are coming here to learn those things. Just show that you have a strong foundation in traditional art.

*The exception to this is if you have a LOT of experience with Maya. (And by a lot, I mean you were more than likely working with the program professionally before attending Ringling.)
    I included three 3d pieces, including one animation, in my portfolio, and was accepted and praised for those particular pieces. I was advanced for a highschool student, but no where near pro level.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Meloncov View Post
    I included three 3d pieces, including one animation, in my portfolio, and was accepted and praised for those particular pieces. I was advanced for a highschool student, but no where near pro level.
    There are exceptions to every rule; however, I am repeating what I have heard directly from the mouth of the head of the CA department. Since he has the final say about who is admitted and who is not, I wouldn't take the advice too lightly.

However, I guess I will rephrase a bit-- do not include mediocre 3D pieces or animations in lieu of strong life drawings. The best thing you can do for yourself is get into a figure class and make a portfolio out of mostly that work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    would you think it would be best if your portfolio consisted of almost ALL really well done still lifes and a few good figure drawings, but no sketching stuff?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your portfolio should consist of good artwork, period.

People spend way to much time wondering,
    "should I do 3D, or not?"
    "still lifes or figures?"
    "gestures or long poses?"
    "traditional or digital?"
    "drawings or paintings?"
    "animation or not?

You can put all of that stuff in! Just make sure it's good.
    It's really not that hard to get accepted, even into CA. (unless your GPA is low, then you could be da Vinci and you're still screwed.)

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lowercase For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there Folks!

My name is Tarrah and I'm currently a sophomore Illustrator here at Ringling and also a Student Ambassador working in Admissions. So let me know if you have any questions whatsoever. We're expecting a lot more applicants this year due to our recent feature in US Today's Top College's in the Country edition. So Good Luck to you all! :-). I've lived on campus my freshman year and now am living off, also I've triedto work off campus as well my freshman year so if anyone has any questions regarding balancing working off campus and Ringling or the off campus lifestyle compared to on campus let me know :-).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello meatbags....jk

I'm Tim and I'm aiming towards the Game Art and Design major.
    Does anyone here who goes to Ringling know if this major is just as competitive as the Computer Animation major?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by lowercase View Post
    Your portfolio should consist of good artwork, period.

People spend way to much time wondering,
    "should I do 3D, or not?"
    "still lifes or figures?"
    "gestures or long poses?"
    "traditional or digital?"
    "drawings or paintings?"
    "animation or not?

You can put all of that stuff in! Just make sure it's good.
    It's really not that hard to get accepted, even into CA. (unless your GPA is low, then you could be da Vinci and you're still screwed.)
    Im not worried about my GPA so much.. I have a 3.6 unweighted and over a 4.0 weighted.
    I'm just stuggling with how my sill lifes should look like. Should they be a complete scene of random things or things that go together? I'm going to stick with still lifes and portraits.. just worried about the look of the still lifes, you know?

And by the way.. when I read about the US Today my heart dropped to my feet along with, what felt like, a 5 ton elephant on my back. like we all need to worry about this more haha..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome job with the GPA, you have a fair chance already. Now for a strong Ringling animation portfolio, fill it up with mostly figure gestures, figure drawings, and drawings from life. (ex: self portraits, landscapes, still lives) If you are really strong in some thing like sculpting, throw in a couple of sculptures as well. If you're unsure about how strong your pieces are you could go to portfolio day or visit the college for a portfolio review.

Last edited by kedrew; September 14th, 2009 at 03:09 AM.
    http://kedrewdraws.blogspot.com

My Adventures at Ringling ^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    TheBlendofColors, if that's your GPA than you're as good as accepted.
    Now I'd say forget about whether you're going to get in or not and just start focusing on improving your artistic abilities.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by lowercase View Post
    TheBlendofColors, if that's your GPA than you're as good as accepted.
    Now I'd say forget about whether you're going to get in or not and just start focusing on improving your artistic abilities.
    are you saying his gpa is more important than his portfolio?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    are you saying his gpa is more important than his portfolio?
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the school will see that the applicant in question has a good work ethic, and that the rest can be worked on. So yes.

Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 9