Advice, should quit this independant concept gig?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking Advice, should quit this independant concept gig?

Hello all,

I'm in a bit of a pickle. For the past 4 months I've been doing environmental concept art for an independent game company. I will be making royalty over salary.

But, my only issue is that I applied for character concept work, and that's where my strength and passion lies. They hired me because I can do environments relatively well but they had no one else to fill the position.

After working for them for a month I asked to be switched to character because I just wasn't getting any sort of enjoyment out of drawing structures.

Needless to say they never really switched me over to character and I find myself really wanting to quit.

I feel like I'm wasting time doing all this environmental work when I want to be a character concept artist and designer, and I'm not getting the relevant experience as such.

If anyone can give me some words of wisdom or tell me what they would do, I would greatly appreciate the help.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sometimes we can't always do what we want to

If you can afford to (both financially and legally) I guess you could always leave, but even if you get another job you might not be totally happy, either with the work or the project.

I guess all you can really do is try to find some kind of enjoyment out of it - even if you want to focus on characters, maybe the study on environments will help you round it all together..?

"It's not rocket surgery." _Sebudai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sometimes you have to do things you don't really want to in order to get ahead. (Just think of it this way--you could be doing these environment concepts that you're not crazy about, or working at a two-bit crap job that you hate.)

I would say stick it out, finish this job (royalties are good!) unless you are absolutely miserable and/or can financially afford to quit. Just remind yourself that it could always be worse!

Critters! Dinosaurs! Lovecraftian horrors! ~~~~~> My creature sculpting thread!
    The Savage Goldfish Blog

"I started to see human beings as little lonesome, water-based pink meat, life forms pushing air through themselves and making noises that the other little pieces of meat seemed to understand."
    -Devin Townsend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do what makes you happy but I personally would stick it out. If you quit you'll probably burn the bridge and won't get any work with that company in the future. You never know what the future holds, if you prove that you can work well with that companies demands and give them everything they need then in the future they'll give you more work because they'll know this is a person who always meets our demands and puts the overall project before his personally likes and dislikes.

Check out my sketchbook: Draw or Die

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you could be shoveling cow shit for a living or something like that, so it's not all bad. i'd stick it out and just keep pushing for a character concept art job.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don’t know that leaving a job without having another one lined up to take it’s place is a good thing to do right now. You could maybe submit your résumé to other companies with your qualifications and work experience and request “ character design” as your preferred interests. I’m not saying it will work or that you’ll get what you want but it could happen.

Secondly if you are really feeling held back and you can not stand to do the kind of work you’re doing then weighing your options…….you must do what you have to do. I will say that I have left jobs before that had me feeling stifled and stale.

Bruce

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No. Nonononononono,

NO.

In this time of economic downfall you do not have the luxury to pick and choose what kind of artistic job you want to engage in.

Like it or not, you're doing what many fledgling and talented artists would gladly hack off their small toes to do; you're working as a concept artist and getting well-paid to do so. The fact that it's not exactly the area you enjoy doing is a small downside to this, imo.

Would you rather be working freelance? Working at a meat-packing plant? Throwing fish into boxes? Standing at a construction plant sorting malfunctioning parts from working ones while only dreaming about having the luxury to sit and be creative with what you actually want to do?

Take a look at the employment climate over the world. It's bad - really bad compared to how it was a few years ago. You have a job where you can create. If it's not exactly what you like to create - work with character concepts in your free time. Or, perhaps you could be open to the experience and see it as a chance to learn more about enviromental design. Being a multi-faceted artist these days is a plus, nay a requirement for some of the more prestigious positions.

Try not to take offense, but you sound a bit spoiled.

Do you know what i do when the journalism/writing market is dead and i need money? I cut and carry wood. Lots of it. Mountains of stapled timber that i need to hack, cut and saw into bits to carry into a large shed to appease the wintery requirements of the various people where i live. While the job has excellent pay and it's employment and truly intense workout neatly rolled up into one, i'd sacrifice alot to be in your shoes

My words of wisdom, and a summary of this post? Suck it up, you're in a position many would us would kill to be in.

//Sebastian

Last edited by Sebastard; September 7th, 2009 at 11:32 AM.
    - When you cannot win a large victory, learn to settle for a small one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, if you do end up finishing this job out. Maybe they'll keep you in mind for a character designer if they do another project.

I think the problem with pen&ink is that there is no Ctrl+z command.

writers and artists have a lot in common -- we both draw from life, we both paint pictures, and we'll both spend to many sleepless nights on our work.

My (new) sketchbook: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=100982

My (old) Sketchbook:http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=88773

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep doing environmental concepts. I'd kill someone to get your job, so don't think little of it. Keep applying for character concept art, eventually a spot will open or they will give you a chance (because you keep asking them 100 times a month ). Be happy what you've got and try to get what you want. At the end of the day....you're a concept artist and most of the people here on CA are not and would like to have your job.

Think about it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reply guys!

I've decided to run with it and tackle it all in the best way possible.

I'm sure it was shitty to think about dropping it but I just needed to ask other people in the field on their opinion.

Again much appreciated to everyone for the kick in the ass!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Shogo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude I make signs.

I like making characters more than environments too, but if given the opportunity to do EITHER i would jump on it.

Just keep pushing for more character work, OR start looking for another job where you get to do more character stuff. But don't quit your job before you find something, and don't feel so sorry for yourself ;P

MY WEBSITE: PaintedSky.ca
    MY SKETCHBOOK: Ook's Book - Karyl Craves Your Approval

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure if I understand the situation well, do you get royalties instead of a salary or on top of a salary?

If it's instead, you might as well start looking for a new job now, I wouldn't bet much on ever seeing significant money.

If it's on top, well, I would start by reminding them that you prefer to do character art, but then I would start looking again. How long has it been since you started working there? Is it their first game? I guesss if they have many concept artists and you have been at it for months, either they have a lot of experience or their game is way out of controle scope wise for a team of rookie. If they are rookies, I wouldn't count on royalties, at all.

So unlike the others, I'm not going to say "suck it up, it's a dream job." I might say that if poor you ended up doing enviros for Blizzard or something. But if it doesn't pay the rent, it's not a dream job.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Qitsune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are you kidding? I'd take your job any day!!!

Zazerzs is offline ....bing me the bore worms Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you are receiving no money now and will be paid on game revenues you might as well start applying to other established companies and use this experience as portfolio and resume fodder.

Keep up your character work on the side and keep applying at other companies until you get the job you want.

Realistically you will never see a dime from a start up company with promises of payment in the future. Do it until you get something better then get the hell out of there.

my 2cents

Last edited by Zazerzs; September 10th, 2009 at 08:22 PM.
    "Talent is a word found in the mouth of the lazy to dismiss the hard work of those who have achieved."
    Anatomy Thread
    Sketchbook
    Interested in learning more about color? Read this!
    Fletcher:Color Control

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Zazerzs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The 3rd from the last and recent post hit it on thead, its just royalties and a start up gig.

Keeping to build portfolio and make the resume better. Thanks again for the feedback guys!

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you're not actually getting paid (and nothing up front with the promise of future royalties, should the project ever be completed [HA!] and turn a profit [DOUBLE HA!], really is the equivalent of not getting paid) then you're under no obligation to continue. Why work for free for somebody else doing what you don't want, when you can just as easily work for free for yourself doing what you do want?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Elwell's got a point. What it boils down to is, do you believe in the project and the company you're working with? If you think you've got a dynamite project that's going to be a success, then keep going. If you look around and see it's never gonna happen, then jump ship.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    If you're not actually getting paid (and nothing up front with the promise of future royalties, should the project ever be completed [HA!] and turn a profit [DOUBLE HA!], really is the equivalent of not getting paid) then you're under no obligation to continue. Why work for free for somebody else doing what you don't want, when you can just as easily work for free for yourself doing what you do want?
    Yeah thats what I was thinking... I think it's boiling down to giving it till next work-load switch, which is about a month, and seeing what they give me.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.