Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

what else do you do?

besides drawing do you have any other goals/activities that you spent a good deal of time on? Do you think it gets in the way of your drawing, art, painting, etc..

If you don't feel like reading much all you need to read is the above^

I play guitar and wonder if it might get in the way of my drawing career.
    I want to become a composer and classical guitar player (i wanted a piano but i live in a small apartment with 5 family members) at the same time draw and learn physics...i just might triple major when i go to college...(will it be tough?)

I am working on a guitar piece which i am always waiting for the right tune in my head to come along and i write it down. With physics i don't really do much about it but i read books months ago but put it back down because it was too complicated (most of the stuff i didn't even learn in school yet) but i am a very good student in a crappy school (public city business school with over 2500 kids and i regret my past ignorance because it led me to my current school...i don't want to become a business man).

i dropped business class for my senior year and picked up 2 AP 2 science....they don't have music teachers in this school and i can draw better than my art teacher....yeck

of course that will mean i will not be more talented in drawing due to focus on other subjects..right ?

do you just draw...draw...draw...?(besides the routine activities of course)

I am concerned that i might not suffice in my drawing...shall I abandon a subject?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Yes, but I love the other things that I do. It means that my successes will take longer, and I accept that.

It all depends upon what your time frames are.

Thanks
    A good friend of mine Cynthia Shepard is not only a very talented artist, but also plays some friggen awesome music, does a bit of modeling, has some very cool photography, and does graphic design for her day job. She's about as multi-talented as I've met and she does each one at a high degree. How does she do it? She actually works on each one as the inspiration hits, and doesn't seem to spend her time worrying about any of them being a waste of time. Also probably massive amounts of karma for just being an awesome person.

Don't worry about it. If you have the drive to improve in both you'll do fine.

Thanks
    I listen to A LOT of music (always searching for new artists/genres), but that doesn't really compete with drawing.

There really is almost nothing else I do besides drawing. I find it immensely fulfilling.
    VatselArt@Gmail.com

Vatsel.com

Facebook page . Twitter

Thanks
    I really enjoy cooking, sometimes I wish I had gonne more to the cooking world, than the art world, but I still prefer drawing over cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by brewin View Post
    I listen to A LOT of music (always searching for new artists/genres), but that doesn't really compete with drawing.

There really is almost nothing else I do besides drawing. I find it immensely fulfilling.

I enjoy that too, discover a new band or artist, look up they're story, the story of the album or song, organise the album with correct information, it is actually really fun to do.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I don't really "do" much else. I play games, work out, read (history and some science stuff mostly) I can do some very basic web design and I went to school for graphic design. I used to be into martial arts but quit. Being surrounded by all sorts of nature and access a provincial park, countless trails and to two camps you'd think I'd be outside all the time, but in all honesty I find nature pretty boring. I do help my uncle split wood up at the lake from time to time.

I'm probably the most boring person you'll meet

Thanks
    I was sort of in the same boat as you.

In highschool i played competative tennis ranked 54 in state 3rd in highschool tennis team, and i loved physics/astronomy, and art. so i needed to pick one of the 3 to continue because i knew i would be ok at all of them but not the best at each. I ended up choosing art because my brother was a programer and we decided to create games eventually.

so i have droped tennis (although i miss it alot) and i figured the only reason i liked physics and astronomy was because of the visualizing of all that awesome stuff, might as well just do the art. Now im a graphic designer while still pursuing traditional and digital art.

It's really your choice if you think your good enough to be awesome at all three. Personally i can only be good at one thing at a time or else i get too distracted thinking about other stuff.

Thanks
    I'm a huge music nerd. I collect CDs and vinyl records mostly. I have around 600+ CDs and about 400+ records

I'm also a big gaming nerd. I love playing different types of games and looking at different qualities of them, what makes them good, what makes them bad, how to improve on it, etc
    Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

My Sketchbook

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Straight Edge Ryan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I get on espn.com WAY too much...

Thanks
    I did graphic design when I was a wee Jovian (err, I guess that was rather recently). But I suppose that could almost be lumped in with art? I dunno.

I used to be really good at piano, but I haven't had access to one in quite awhile, so I dunno how I'd be, now. I started to play guitar, a little while ago. Just teaching myself songs, here and there.

I'd kind of like to get into acting. Nothing serious, that'd get in the way of drawing, but I wouldn't mind trying out for films/tv shows, had I the opportunity. Or voice acting, or something. Being on South Park would be awesome. haha

Thanks
    Thanked 5,794 Times in 1,166 Posts
    I'm studying Evolutionary Biology full time at my local university, so yeah, it does take time away from drawing, but it sure is worth it.
    "I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    I do a tiny bit of martial arts. Muay thai. But I think sparring would be too much for me, probably just going to scale it back to just working out and eating healthy. And traveling! I love traveling. And writing. I might pick up violin again or learn guitar.

I've been all-art all-the-time for a few years now and while it is really fulfilling I need to have something else to do too.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,323 Times in 907 Posts
    I usually take like an hour outta everyday to skateboard . Also play around in reason with the synthesizer . Always gotta have somethin else of interest goin on or else I think all this time inside workin would make me a crazy hermit.
    'If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems.And that's a big mistake.'
    www.DaveRapoza.com - Step by Steps, Videos, PSD Downloads, and tons of other crap
    SketchBook
    My Twitter Account
    Schoolism Alien Video Tutorial!
    -HAHAHA B.B.F.F. Forever...-

Thanks
    I'm a chubby, so I try to get a bit of working out everyday, I also do a bit of learning Japanese/German whenever I can.

Thanks
    Yup. All were/are sports based: karate, boxing, kickboxing, bodybuilding, strongwoman, power lifting.

Competitive in several of those, too. ETA: last couple of years, primary focus has been art; you could say, my competitive focus has been moved to there. Still do some of that stuff for recreation - it helps the creative thing out tremendously.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 516 Posts
    I'm trying to get into shape by the time my unemployment ends. Since that might not be for another 7-12 months, (insane but true) I figure I control my destiny.

If I'm not working next Summer I hope to get an Amtrak railpass and see a lot of the country I haven't already seen, including San Diego for comicon.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    A lot of time goes into my university studies, where I'm studying architecture. It devours my free time!

Otherwise, I love playing the piano (practiced for 12 years), reading (mostly ancient history, mythology and such), doing yoga, studying all kinds of trivia (I almost know all the capitals+flags in the world...so useless, yet so fun) and I also love travelling, when I have the chance. A pretty random bag of things, here.
    sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

Thanks
    I love to cook and have considered opening a restaurant, but I still enjoy art over that. But more than art; I love to WRITE. I just have trouble actually finishing a story.

And I'm a science major. lol

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    I train in Chinese martial arts. I do kung fu, mostly Hung Gar, Tai Chi, and Chin Na.I teach Chin Na as well. I also do traditional Chinese Lion dancing through my martial school.

edit: OH, and crossfit and GymJones workouts
    Last edited by Hookswords; September 2nd, 2009 at 09:00 AM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Hookswords For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    i practice the art of beard growing, it takes such strains on me
    Representing Ringling College of Art and Design Class 2012

Blog
    (its pretty rad)

Current Sketchbook

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Equality72521 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    This.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 593 Posts

28. The Following User Says Thank You to DanielC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Dawn of War 1&2, travel, Blood Bowl, writing and geocaching.
    ----------------------------------------
    Sans la colère. Sans la haine. Et sans la pitié.

I always find myself instinctively arrayed on the side of the barbarian, against the powers of organized civilization. -- Robert E. Howard

Writer, illustrator and artist.

Thanks
    Bars, movies and 4chan.
    And I don't think it's getting in the way. It's just what I do when I don't feel like drawing.

Thanks
    gym about 5 times a week, guitar, sometimes games & movies, school. if I don't have much time to draw I just try to learn as much as possible from everything else I do.

Thanks
    I am, constantly, doing something artistic...unless I'm at work.

I build models, both kit based and scratchbuilt, some light sculpting, getting into painting, love drawing, woodworking,....Heck, I'll do anything creative.

What gets in the way of all that...two things: work and cutting the yard/snow blowing(depending on the time of year. )

Thanks
    What do I do? I go to yahoo chat rooms and tell people they are wrong for what they are saying, even before I know what they are talking about.

Thanks
    Eh, personally, I guess a lot of my non-art activities are ocean-related. I spend a lot of time fishing, sea kayaking, cooking seafood, and keeping an aquarium full of weird creatures that I find on the beach after hurricanes.

Currently, my aquarium contains a truly massive giant sea hermit crab that I found last year. It is very lively and quite creepy. I'll have to post a video of it sometime because I'm sure it could inspire some really sick alien concepts.

I don't think other hobbies are any detriment to artwork. It's healthy to have other interests, and those interests can often serve as inspirations for your art.

-----------------------------------------------------
    portfolio=ORANGEMANTIS.COM
    Blog
    SKETCHBOOK
    -----------------------------------------------------

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Katfayheirti For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    SCA heavy combat. Clears my head of ragehol.

It can't be healthy to fixate on only one thing.
    Last edited by Pierce9; September 3rd, 2009 at 04:22 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.