Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Spaggen's beginning of a long journey

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mr-roi View Post
    Hey, cool work.

Your poses look really static, for some reason... Try and find poses where the whole body moves, and try using lines that kinda flow in the direction of the part your drawing, instead of the standard lineart. Could be fun to try

I like your concepts, by the way XD
    Hm, I've never thought of that before. Maybe you're right. I'll try to do more flowing lines in the future.

Thanks for the comment, I appreciate it!

Last edited by Spaggen; October 6th, 2009 at 05:31 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have got some good work going on here. Keep it up and draw whenever you can!
    You will improve a whole lot

And thanks for stopping by my SB ^^

Help wanted
    >>>Sketchbook<<<

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eraiasu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Eraiasu View Post
    You have got some good work going on here. Keep it up and draw whenever you can!
    You will improve a whole lot

And thanks for stopping by my SB ^^
    Thank you man!

Update later today/tonight.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks for the comment Spaggen. Yeh I do have some sketches to show. I've been doin some anatomy based studies similar to you. Might post them up when i've done some more.

It seems you have good attention to detail. I would suggest standing back from the page if you don't do already - in order to see the bigger picture and not get to involved with details at this stage. Try working larger, which will open your body up more and use more than just the wrist and hand. With the figures, look for the big shapes and masses first of all, block them in, and when you have those proportionally correct, then go into details. I don't know how you work or start a drawing but I find it helps to work on the whole drawing at once, thinking about the bigger picture, not spending too much time on a particular body part but moving around the body going back n forth checking proportions and relativity, negative space. I think the main thing that has helped me is too loosen up on the initial stage of the drawing - not putting pressure on my self to get it right first go. Draw lightly, work things out, lay down some simple perspective lines, if it's not right, don't kid yourself - change it. Most of what i've said here has already been uttered but you're doing the right stuff, goodluck man.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Callumbo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Callumbo View Post
    hey thanks for the comment Spaggen. Yeh I do have some sketches to show. I've been doin some anatomy based studies similar to you. Might post them up when i've done some more.

It seems you have good attention to detail. I would suggest standing back from the page if you don't do already - in order to see the bigger picture and not get to involved with details at this stage. Try working larger, which will open your body up more and use more than just the wrist and hand. With the figures, look for the big shapes and masses first of all, block them in, and when you have those proportionally correct, then go into details. I don't know how you work or start a drawing but I find it helps to work on the whole drawing at once, thinking about the bigger picture, not spending too much time on a particular body part but moving around the body going back n forth checking proportions and relativity, negative space. I think the main thing that has helped me is too loosen up on the initial stage of the drawing - not putting pressure on my self to get it right first go. Draw lightly, work things out, lay down some simple perspective lines, if it's not right, don't kid yourself - change it. Most of what i've said here has already been uttered but you're doing the right stuff, goodluck man.
    Thank you very much for the great comment! I'll definitely look for the big shapes and masses and work bigger.

So my goals for my future figures: More dynamic lines/better flow. I'll look more carefully for the big shapes and masses. I'll work bigger.

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not much of an update today actually. I've been experimenting a lot with watercolors, but nothing worth showing here, haha. Well, some 60 sec figures I did earlier today (before I received all the good tips ).

UPDATE DAY 19 - 6/10 - 09

Name:  Figures16.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  35.2 KB

Good night!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not much to show here today either. Just some stuff from my book. I've been doing life drawings all day at school. I'll maybe post it here later this week. And I'm still experimenting with watercolors and it's really fun!

UPDATE DAY 20 - 7/10 - 09

Name:  Doodle.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  27.0 KB

Suggestions and comments are very very welcome. Good night.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That old lady is wicked hh! Curious about your watercolors as well, check out Paul Bonner, You'll be surprised what can be done in watercolors!! I know I am every time I look at his stuff hehe. And yeah work bigger, perhaps you do that in school though. Hows your studies coming along!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Konstruktion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Konstruktion View Post
    That old lady is wicked hh! Curious about your watercolors as well, check out Paul Bonner, You'll be surprised what can be done in watercolors!! I know I am every time I look at his stuff hehe. And yeah work bigger, perhaps you do that in school though. Hows your studies coming along!
    Thanks for the comment and for the link. I always like when you drop by, I've seen his stuff before (mostly the art for Rackham) and they are totally badass! But I didn't know they were done with watercolors, thats sick!

I'll work bigger in the future indeed. I'm not used to it but as you said, I've started to do it in school now and I feel it's even more fun.

Hm the studying part.. Not so much right now to be honest, but soon mate, soon.

Some quick stuff for line and speed training and a sketch for a watercolor piece.

UPDATE DAY 21 - 8/10 - 09

Name:  City life.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  36.6 KB

Name:  Diver.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  26.7 KB

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hello mate .Try adding some weight in your lines (different width in outlines,and other variations using line)
    Very good sketches and these people with the hat are very good.I see you drew some masses for some bodies up in the previous updates.Thats very good for the understanding
    Keep up mate

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kingkostas View Post
    Hello mate .Try adding some weight in your lines (different width in outlines,and other variations using line)
    Very good sketches and these people with the hat are very good.I see you drew some masses for some bodies up in the previous updates.Thats very good for the understanding
    Keep up mate
    Thanks mate for the great comment, appreciate it. I will think about the line weight in my next drawings for sure. And hey, thanks for all the compliments!

Damn! I promised myself to update everyday, damn me, haha. Well, hopefully a big update tomorrow or on monday. Good night.

Last edited by Spaggen; October 11th, 2009 at 05:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    UPDATE DAY 22 - 13/10 - 09

Nothing really interesting here. Just some Hogarth studies and 30 sec figures. Your comments are very welcome as usual.

Name:  Hogarth4.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  36.0 KB

Name:  Hogarth5.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  27.3 KB

Name:  Hogarth6.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  26.4 KB

Name:  Hogarth7.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  32.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Spaggen, I can see that you are doing all the right things in learning how to draw, with figure studies an all. But I see you want to be a concept artist, in that case don't forget to excercise your imagination as well.

Ask yourself what kind of concepts you see yourself doing. Fantasy creatures? sci-fi battleships? wacky environments? a bit of everything?

combine your imagination with the solid studies you are currently doing and you will be well on your way

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Nutter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutter View Post
    Hello Spaggen, I can see that you are doing all the right things in learning how to draw, with figure studies an all. But I see you want to be a concept artist, in that case don't forget to excercise your imagination as well.

Ask yourself what kind of concepts you see yourself doing. Fantasy creatures? sci-fi battleships? wacky environments? a bit of everything?

combine your imagination with the solid studies you are currently doing and you will be well on your way
    Hey Nutter. Thanks for dropping by! I definitely see your point.

Yes, I really want to be a concept artist. I've always loved to create fantasy and sci-fic creatures (I love the warhammer/world of warcraft universe for example). But I've had some problems with my imagination drawing since my studies begun. But I think it'll come back as it was before soon, I just don't want to force myself to draw fantasy/sci-fic stuff anymore, I've tried a lot but it didn't went out so good, hehe. But soon man, soon.

Update later!

Last edited by Spaggen; October 24th, 2009 at 03:20 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    UPDATE DAY 23 - 14/10 - 09

My first "real" life drawings. Some big errors I know (too thin thigh, small head etc). But well, I'll have life drawing classes the whole week so hopefully I'll improve a little bit.

And the goal for tomorrow, softer lines!

Name:  Life drawing3.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  21.1 KB

Name:  Life drawing2.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  22.1 KB

Good night!

Last edited by Spaggen; October 13th, 2009 at 06:13 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,098 Times in 491 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    maan..good stuff, keep it goin

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Verehin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Verehin View Post
    maan..good stuff, keep it goin
    Thanks man. I'll do that.

Update tonight.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    UPDATE DAY 24 - 15/10 - 09

Some unfinished watercolor shit, some from referances. And a creature from imagination (finally, haha). The second guy says "Bum, Jason Bum" if you're wondering.

Name:  Bum.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  26.9 KB

Name:  Jasonbum2.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  43.0 KB

Name:  Creature.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  25.2 KB

Good night!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A very uninteresting post, sorry all hehe! But there will not be any updates for a while (if anyone cares). One week's holiday now. I'll draw like a lunitic anyway of course, but I don't have access to a scanner unfortunately.

Well, see you later!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, how ya doin'?

Good stuff, man, good stuff. Your knowledge of anatomy has grown, i can see it in the creature sketch u drew. I can't see any major problems that you're not already aware of, but perhaps you should try sketching more from life. Not just figures, but books stacked on one another, or a room, even animals. It all relates and improves your skills. Cool, isn't it? Drawing ANYTHING from life will definately improve your knowledge of the human form. I also tend to only worry about the human figure, but i am now just drawing anything from life and it is helping. Keep it up, man, you're doing good!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Flanagan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see some GREAT stuff here. Your 30 second studies are definitely showing signs of improvement. I loved the old, evil looking nun. At least I thought she was a nun by the size of her habit! Loved the Hogarth studies. Looking good!! I also have to say that your attention to detail is pretty darn good. If you can find a way to get greater contrast in your drawings, that will help emphasize the subject and give a "feel" to the piece as well. kingkostas and someone else also posted about contrast. Here is what I have used in the past and currently:

Pencil Purpose

F Layout
    2H, 4H Glazing and establishing detail
    2B, 4B Deep shadow and emphasis.
    6H Very light glazing

I also keep my pencils sharp. I have a series of mechanical pencils with various hardness with flat or rounded tips for massing in areas.

Man...I need to get drawing again....

Enjoyed the thread! Thanks for sharing!

Check it out!

Why, yes I DO have a Sketchbook!!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard_M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Flanagan - Hey mate! I'm doing good. Thanks for the compliments and the suggestion! I'll definitely sketch from life more in the future. I promise you, next update will contain some life drawings. Thanks again!

Richard_M
    - Thanks a lot for your kind words! Posts like yours really motivates me!

Haha yes, the old lady is a nun, a very evil nun of course.

You're right about the contrast issue. I always think my drawings end up flat. I'll use more different pens with various hardness in the future. Thanks for the tip!

Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,

looks nice,
    I like your sketches which contains animals / beasts and "the freaky face-hat" is so funny :p

only thing i can say is that i find some of your stick sketches a little empty on the inside. But that's maybe because of the scanner.

keep up the good work, i will check your sketchbook again in a few days.

Also thanks for the comment, just subscribed on concept art and it's fun when you get a response so fast.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfInspiration For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think you're making great progress! loving the hand studies, keep it up!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to teroteki For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OutOfInspiration - Hey man! Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook. I'm glad you like the creature sketches. You might be right about the emptiness of the figures. I'll practice more on masses later, now I just want to practice lines, hehe. Thanks again and I'll definitely check out your sketchbook again in the near future.

teroteki - Thank you very much sir! Appreciate it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, cool stuff, youre doing really great improvements and think your line quality is very good, I think youre values are getting better and better as well, Im not so far with anatomy so I wont comment on it but Im sure the life drawings will bring you to the next level, so keep it going and up of course.

dont know if you know riven phoenix but I think hes amazing and maybe worth a look for you too...

tnx for commenting on my sketchbook too...

Ill check back .... so see you later...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by android411 View Post
    hey man, cool stuff, youre doing really great improvements and think your line quality is very good, I think youre values are getting better and better as well, Im not so far with anatomy so I wont comment on it but Im sure the life drawings will bring you to the next level, so keep it going and up of course.

dont know if you know riven phoenix but I think hes amazing and maybe worth a look for you too...

tnx for commenting on my sketchbook too...

Ill check back .... so see you later...
    Hey! Thank you very much for your kind post, a big motivation boost. I'll check out Riven Pheonix, never heard of him before.

Thanks again and I'll visit your sketchbook in the future for sure.

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    keep it up mate .Try to avoid describing the eyes, the mouth and the nose and to depict them through relationships of shadow and light.I mean dont make an outline for the eye etc.It may have some shadowed part under the upper protection of the eye and in the lower nothing(ok bad explanation but i think you will understand )

see ya

39. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kingkostas View Post
    keep it up mate .Try to avoid describing the eyes, the mouth and the nose and to depict them through relationships of shadow and light.I mean dont make an outline for the eye etc.It may have some shadowed part under the upper protection of the eye and in the lower nothing(ok bad explanation but i think you will understand )

see ya
    Hey mate, thanks for dropping by! Not a bad explanation at all. I totally understand what you mean. Of course I'll try that in my future drawings. Thanks again and keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good goin' on the lifedrawing! Softer lines would be cool in certain areas

Keep doing the studies! There are some issues in the underlying structure, but you'll get around to it if you keep doing Hogarth, Loomis and all those guys Bridgman is good for structure!

dC

42. The Following User Says Thank You to dCepT For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3