got some words anyone??...

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

got some words anyone??...

Hi folks, first of all, sorry for my (not perfect, but getting better) english

i decided to write this post not to rant about past decisions i made, or to talk about my future plans, but also to seek some motivation from you guys, since i get a little discouraged and lose motivation, sometimes.

Me and my wrong decision

im from Dominican Republic, 24 years old and im in 4th year in college, studying advertising. Back in school i always dreamed about studying an art related career, because ive been able to draw since i can remember. Now u ask, how did i get into advertising??.. well, if we take A) a guy (ME) who didnt get any info about art related carreers or schools when he finished school, B) another guy (A FRIEND OF MINE) who told the first guy that advertising has a lot of drawing and painting and C) some whiny, pushy demanding parents that didnt want me to waste time thinking what i wanted to study.. ???.. youre right, you get a guy studying the wrong carreer, in the wrong place, and wasting some valuable time.

Me and my dissapointment

Fast forward four years>> >> im dissapointed by the drawing quality they demand from me. I feel cheated, laughed in the face and kicked in the ass... but never mind that, i decided to do something about it.

Me and my good decision

Im just one year away from finishing advertising, so i decided to start a degree in illustration in a local college. Since my parents paid me my first carreer, i have to pay for this second one. So i decided to learn tattooing (still have a long way to go on this one) to do it part time while im studying illustration, since tattooing requires some drawing abilities.

and thats pretty much about it. thnks for reading my (holy bible long) story, and i hope u guys can share some motivational words with me, cuz i really get lazy sometimes. :p

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I'm surprised you're looking into a tattooing career.....yeah, it does offer drawing, but I think you'll be able to do a lot more REAL drawing if you work as a concept artist?

With tattooing, it's always the same old skulls, wings, hearts, dragons etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for your opinion Xeon_OND. Youre right about working as a concept artist, it requires a lot more real stuff than tattooing does. But the fact is that here where i live, in Dominican Republic, you cant make money from concept art, as much as you can do with tattoing, and i will need that money to pay up for my illustration carreer, otherwise, id work as a concept artist in a heartbeat. On the other hand, is possible to be creative in the tattooing industry, because you can design your own stuff (though there are some tattoo artist who use canned stuff like those skulls and dragon you mentioned before).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well best of luck to ya!
    I wanted to be a Paleontologist from an early age (thank you Jurassic Park), but when I was about 15 I realised I wouldn't get the grades to be good enough for that, so had to take up drawing since that was what I was best at. For the passed five years I haven't learned that much due to my teachers not being that great, but mainly due to myself not realising what I'm missing out on and not going out of my way to look for something else to help me improve.
    I've learned the most from browsing this site, which referred me to Loomis and tons of other great artists that have provided a shit load of valuable knowledge. I'd say in the last year or two I've improved significantly than in all the previous years.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.