Chow 171 :: Ti'phar of the Ararita - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Chow 171 :: Ti'phar of the Ararita

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    since i really didn't give any comments during the last chow i thought it would be nice to give some in this round xP

quinn simoes: i really like the clothes and the very conservative pose, but in my opinion she is looking a bit too much on the maquiavellic side of things, more shady than graceful. and awesome style btw

dwinbotp: lovely design and anatomy, but i gotta ask, is she naked with just that skimpy suit or is the whole thing her attire?

pxelslayer: love the face, and do hope she keeps the dreadlocks

arthemis: love the use of machinery as a fashion accesory, although your first design is my favorite

sweidee: the big pic is my favorite, although the sword makes her look more like a queen general. wanna see more

sidharth: lovely dress design, and all the pleading's making it look really sofisticated

progress shot. i'm feeling much better with this chow than the previous one. i'm going to leave her clothing with as much simplicity as i can, and wanna do something elaborate for the hair and face, although i don't know what yet D:

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Muscari For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Muscari: the upper body is coming thru nicely, i think the "pants" & the legs somehow doesnt work towards the regal, digni feel. also the hairdo can contribute more towards the characterization?

quinn simoes: love the dark tones that associate with power suit, apart from what's being said by others, i guess it leaves the eyes to help out on the characterization.

dwinbotp: have to revisit the brief on how the character cover herself, clothing is very much a part of her characterization, unless of course armour plates with skin tone reflects the aesthetic of her culture? otherwise a well rendered piece! edit: saw your updates that you'll be putting more clothing on, so just happily ignore what's been said.

pxelslayer: one of me fav so far, love the legs! i think the "regalness" is really in the pose and you've got it!

arthemis great fashion there, tells a lot about the character's fashion sense and aesthetic. really like to see how the design of meshing the sft silky garments and heavy metals eventually turns out! also watch the character's left collar bone.

zweidee: will need to see how this develop, at the moment am not getting a lot of "queeness" from it

sidharth: great use of repetition in garment folds, shoulder accessories, fabric pattern to compose your character!! great design work! look forward to more tweaking of the pose.

gerezon: it works when it was cropped by the page before i scroll down further and the feet, seems to contradict with the rest of the otherwise great design, the feline in arms also suggest nobility!

tonysaurus : nice concept on the portraiture, just be careful to represent all her character traits in the brief!

audit: i like the setting, need to tweak the costume a lot to give her more nobility, at the moment she's looking more like a servant than the mistress of the house. probably use the Bene Gesserit (frm dune fiction) as part of your referencing material?

Aphotic Phoenix : great concepts, extra difficulty in using insects legs to pose the character in a regal, dignified and elegant! the upward swinging appendage doesnt help towards that end.

Mike: have to develop the pose more.

witek: the sketch is looking great so far, like the ying & yang skin texture playout well, designing the character floating does give her a greater presence and greater sense of "air"

Brett_Schmidt: shoulder twitch for a queen or concubine? have to read crits by others on posture, hand movements and gesture to land the character more nobility. the reading character on our left seems to exude more wisdom and prime minister/ queen like. maybe she can look up at her subject, a pause from her reading?

mivva : lets see how the parts work together in forming the character!

missconstruction: be careful, too much action and facial expression doesnt jive well in the royal court, imagine how a lady CEO would react in a boardroom tussle, she would probably lean back than stand up, which her regional manager or department head will probably do to defend something. but then again your character could be a PM that's passionate and expressive when dealing with issues related to the population she serves, even that, the broadcast debate in Westminster would probably help.

zimfin : the body language of her arms? is that something you want to convey?

Windsrock : she seems to be consumed by her garment, she'll need to have more control over her garment if she's going to have some control over the governing of her world.

Wiggers : fantastic setting, one of my fav so far. the feline pet can be designed as a compliment to her soft elegant character or can be a manifestation of "the hidden side of her" inner characters, great design tool, i use is as the former!

d-funct: wow, the face come out somewhat brilliantly, alien yet human, looks like some empress of spanish decent! will need to have a garment and pose that works towards her characterization.

westoon: study how drapery would react when hitting a hard surface as in this case the floor, it will spread out more instead of making arcs? the redering of the lights are not helping to read the image or the character more. the facial expression is key since you basically got everything sorted out.

i probably miss out a few, got to rush to work. in general, the head piece/ hairdo, arms and legs gesture, posture, clothing etc all contribute towards a character, after that look at settings, other design tools like pets, subordinates, royal court, palace, lighting on the character helps tremendously, some uses light from above (holiness), some uses dimmer lights (3rd wife, concubine, mood of the palace) contributes greatly towards the narrative part of the character.

good luck and hope to see more updates, cheers!

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to zenichi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everyone! First time here!!!! The CHOW ideas are really wonderful and all of your arts are very inspiring to me! I could not wait to try one myself. Critics welcome of course.
    This is just a first sketch. Not really a super original and alien design... was inspired by victorian queen mostly.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh wow. lovely work coming out thus far. i want in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi everyone ^_^ im new to chow (its my first one (>o^ _ ^o<) ) so heres what ihave so far:

its too darn dark and undefined atm so hopefully yull understand something out of it and ill try to update soon
    some things i know i need to do :
    *increase the contrast of the pic
    *making something similar to a background
    *defining the pic more
    *ADDING MORE ACCESSORIES (this is by no mean the final design im just thinking about it along the way ) and i think the theme ive found is rather nice
    and the thems is....holographic jewellry/display
    ^_^ what can be more sophisticated then to overcome the physical inconviniencies of wearing weird jewelry,heavy one, or just one kind for the entire evening if you can just change it by simply clicking a button .
    im thinking about adding a belt that has the same thing just incase she wants to shake hands so the belt will be the secondary display thingy that will complete the display incase something interrupte the shoulder pads

C&C are more then welcomed and yeah i know the crown spikes do remind me of the statue of liberty so i think ill change these

gl to all and HF

Last edited by acb; September 2nd, 2009 at 11:24 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The word ‘anarchy’ comes from the ancient Greek αναρχία in which αν meant ‘without’ and αρχία meant first a military ‘leader’ and then ‘ruler’. Anarchist society is one ‘without rulers’: a classless, non-hierarchical society.
    “You need people like me.
    You need people like me so you can point your grubby fingers and say, "That's the bad guy.""

SKETCHY Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally got some time to write some critiques while drinking my morning coffee.

Quinn Simoes Love what you got so far. I hope you can finish your painting!

westoon Perhaps it's just me, but I'm not very fond of the colour scheme you've chosen here. Complementary colours are naturally not quite harmonic when combined together. I personally think that the red is not really complimenting her skin tone. Another thing that bugs me is her sitting on the bench. Perhaps it's just the shading or some other tiny detail but to me it looks as if she's rather floating than sitting. You colouring and shapes doesn't really reflect the weight of her body when sitting. (I hope that makes sense to you.)

Sidharth Chaturvedi Really nice design. Pay attention to her pose and her mass centre. In the current one she looks a bit bent forward too much. But that is probably just the photo.

d-funct It's a nice start - don't give up!

dwinbotp I like your design. Though as you said, she doesn't really look quite modest. Good work but missed the theme. :/

Wiggers Love the sketch! I hope you have time to finish it!

Windsrock Don't really know where to start. I'm feeling you're missing the theme here with your huge undefined dress design. My eyes can't even tell what shape it is supposed to be. I'd suggest to slim it down and give the dress some clear lines and shapes.

zimfin Nice start. I like the dress. Though it looks more like an evening dress than her all day attire.

PxelSlayer I like the sketch you chose. Good luck with the colours.

zweiDee Nice thumbs. You have some really interesting shapes!
    Will be interesting to see what you'll choose.

missconstruction Ti'phar in action - great idea! Not sure if the lines work so far. I rather looks like wallpaper in the background now.

mivva Can't say much about your sketches yet. Interesting ideas.

Brett_Schmid First sketches look good.

witek The sketch is a nice start. Though I need to wait for some more concrete stuff until I can give some advice.

Arthemis IX Your ideas are fabulous! Though keep in mind the character is all about decorum. Showing much skin is probably not the way to go for it.

audit Looks great so far! I'm eager to see the final touch-ups.

Mike D Pose looks good so far. Don't forget to align the background perspective.

Aphotic Phoenix Interesting idea. It's definitely stressing the idea of "humanoid".

gerezon That's a pretty cool design. Love the silhouette!

Muscari Nice start. I'm not quite happy with the pose though. It looks a bit uhmm... too girlish (for the lack of a better word). Not quite the proud confident politician.

Elzora Great stuff so far. But I must admit that huge Victorian dresses are one of the last things that I'd associate with "modesty". So maybe try not to go overboard with it.

acb I really like the holographic projection idea. I hope it'll work out in the end. Every other point I could think of you already said them yourself, haha.

lkjhgfdsa Great start! I actually like both colour schemes so I can't really help with that. My only critique would be that the character is supposed to be tall and thin while your character looks rather small and bulky.

Hope I didn't miss anyone! Keep up the great work!!

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Pretty_Angel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    zenichi: Thanks. Yeah, although I liked the arms, I could not think of a good reason why they would be folded since I don't think she is the defensive, self conscious type. Changed that now.

Pretty_Angel: Thanks. I am trying to make it so she dresses beautifully at all times, like a queen on a planet of artistic beauty should. Her day time attire should be no less impressive than our version of evening attire I guess.

I have worked on the environment more too, though it is at a very basic stage. Itching to get the colour in now! :-)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 492 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    start

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try and be a little more creative with your concept zimfin. At the moment she dosen't look remotely exotic or alien.

See if you can mix up the costume a little, keeping the classic evening gown look but adding some elements that you wouldn't normally see on a dress, just to give the viewer a hint that she's not from around these parts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So here's my attempt, got some free time on my hands

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    zimfin I see where you're coming from. Though I agree with Nutter - it wouldn't be the worst idea if you could push your design a little more.

Verehin Oh god, these shoes look painful. XD I needed a second to realize the leg structure. In any case it's an interesting take on the subject!

SinnerMan This is definitely exotic! But the pose and face look kinda aggressive. O_o

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My current progress:
    • refined the clothes
    • put her a bit more into the centre

Name:  CHOW#171_Pretty_Angel_WIP3.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  136.0 KB

Next thing on my to do list would be the background.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 391 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    @acb - holografic jewlery? You little devil you! That`s really original, I like it!

Well, someone liking what I`m doing...that`s a first! Thanks for the info people, greatly appreciated. Leaving the tentacle hair and facial details for the end. I really want them to make the image "pop". Now if only had a first clue about values...

Wip so far.

Damn internet connection, keeps breaking off...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty_Angel are you kiddin? She gives all Araritans a hardon I guess you're right about the face (the pose is just governmental, she's a tough b*tch)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update (ignore bad background if possible)

The word ‘anarchy’ comes from the ancient Greek αναρχία in which αν meant ‘without’ and αρχία meant first a military ‘leader’ and then ‘ruler’. Anarchist society is one ‘without rulers’: a classless, non-hierarchical society.
    “You need people like me.
    You need people like me so you can point your grubby fingers and say, "That's the bad guy.""

SKETCHY Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did three thumbnails just now, and the last one came out the best, so sticking with it...it's the large one, with the colour... =P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SinnerMan I sure as hell wouldn't want to piss her off! XD

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Another update. I'm not sure if I should stick with that. Feedback would be much appreciated!

Name:  CHOW#171_Pretty_Angel_WIP4.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  144.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutter View Post
    Try and be a little more creative with your concept zimfin. At the moment she doesn't look remotely exotic or alien.

See if you can mix up the costume a little, keeping the classic evening gown look but adding some elements that you wouldn't normally see on a dress, just to give the viewer a hint that she's not from around these parts.
    Thanks , hopefully it is all in hand! The Alien quality, (as you can now see) is in the skin and violet eyes or it will be when I am finished. Haven't even reached her leg yet. I am jumping back and forth between figure and BG at the moment so nothing is finished and she blends a little too much into the BG too. Just wanted to post a progressive step. I might still do something exotic with jewelery or dress, I am not sure. There will be things like scrolls, goblets, alien stuff, whatever on the table at some point.

Last edited by zimfin; September 3rd, 2009 at 12:13 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty Angel: I think you could add more alien like thingie to her, she looks now more like an elf :/

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Windsrock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    messing around with headdresses.

she needs to look a bit more like.....alien.

final version will have clothes of course just woke up and felt like drawing some boobs for you guys.

Last edited by Villa; September 3rd, 2009 at 12:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Spent most of yesterday working on a BG....that I won't be using=/ Will probably use it for another piece, so no BG yet since BG's and me have a hate hate relationship.

Thus far here is where I'm at, still not too keen on the wonky pose and left arm yet. Will hate it soon enough, but I really needed the practice on female types. I have never painted a female, and have not actually drawn one in probably 7 years =/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Ti'phar.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  45.4 KB
    Think I'm going to try coloring this now.

Last edited by Medarel; September 4th, 2009 at 01:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Worked some more, nearing completion. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another WIP, background done, got rid of the animal feet, added a touch of up-lighting to the face. I've started on the sci-fi suit but it's taking a while to make it look right. Ignore the rough outline, a few layers were in the wrong order when I flattened it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    missconstruction: Yeah, after some more planning I decided to draw some clothes - or something like that - on her. Maybe a leg or so to show the bodypaint...
    Pretty_angel: It's no wonder, as my sketches are usually smudgy... I'm not very good thing at things like that, I'll try to improve that.

It's great to see how people help each other, the best thing in weekly activities from my opinion ^^ .

gerezon - You've captured her dignity very well and at the same time the fact that she's young. The pet adds an innocent feeling to the pic. I think that you could improve your picture by making the dress (especially its hem) a bit more alienish or unusual. Something that would surprise us, maybe? But the colour scheme is beautiful

lkjhgfdsa - I like of your character's head structure, it's very interesting! But her body could be more like in the description, tall, thin and elegant. It would look more like that if her shoulders were more narrow, waist and her legs little thinner. ((writing your name was difficult, but then I realised the system... Slow me ))

Looks like you all are very quick at these, let's see if I'll make it (I hope so)

Searching for critiques in order to learn more.
    mivva.deviantart.com

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mivva For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    from what i can tell there is a lot of great art going on here
    unfortunately most of the images arent loading for me so ill check back later and dole out some crits

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by CrookedHorn View Post
    from what i can tell there is a lot of great art going on here
    unfortunately most of the images arent loading for me so ill check back later and dole out some crits
    Phew, I thought they weren't loading because my internet connection was crap or something. You are right about there being a lot of good art in here. Some great stuff!
    Well, I still need to work more on the figure, especially the skin and then I will get back to the BG. I am quite happy with the way the dress turned out.

*edit* Looks like only attached images aren't loading. Some problem cropped up in the system I guess. *edit*

Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 391 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
    Spent most of yesterday working on a BG....that I won't be using=/ Will probably use it for another piece, so no BG yet since BG's and me have a hate hate relationship.
    Et tu, Mike D? Good to know I`m not the only one

Sure thing, images aren`t loading...shoot. Well, here`s mine so far. Thing is, I`m quite happy with how the face turned out, but only when you`re looking up close. From distant it looks pretty...bland... 8/ ...humm...

35. The Following User Says Thank You to PxelSlayer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gerezon - just one thought, the background seems to be competing with your character, you could make it more of a blue colur or desaturate it so it doesn't compete for our attention so much, otherwise I like it.

abc - it's unusual to have a red background as red is considered to be a foreground colour. Just make the background a neutral, cloudy grey blue and concentrate on the character, that's what we want to see.

lkjhgfdsa - Love the head shape, could add some gold chains or attachments to add a crown effect. I'd probably smooth out the cheeks a little to make them less pointy/aggressive and the feet look too big to me but nice colour combinations.

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to electricbill For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.