Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: teroteki sketchbook

Thanks

teroteki sketchbook

Hello sketchbook!

<ramble>
    I'm teroteki and this is my first sketchbook! I've never owned a sketchbook before :/
    Tired of my career (lol graphic design lol) and my goal less existence... I stumbled upon CA with its amazingly talented community - it's been so inspirational that I want to learn to draw/concept!
    I don't know what I'm doing at all - feedback will always be appreciated!
    I thank you.
    </ramble>

#1 post images have been moved to post #3 :)
    Last edited by teroteki; March 6th, 2010 at 08:44 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Welcome! (Although I just joined too, lol)

It looks like a great start. A lot of your drawing looks very influenced by anime and I'd love to see some studies from real life.

Like. . put a cone, square, and a sphere together and draw them with vine charcoal on newsprint (or pencil on paper). Maybe. . a self portrait. . . . anything from real life.

Might want to check out, "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain," by Betty Edwards
    Last edited by illustrateth; August 30th, 2009 at 10:22 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    haha welcome too :D
    you're right, there's a complete lack of drawing from real sources :\
    I need force myself to spend more time on paper too.

it was surprisingly difficult to find a cone/cylinder/cube - so i made them out of blu-tac. my first scupltures. go me.
    hopefully i'll find some more interesting items!
    Last edited by teroteki; March 6th, 2010 at 05:19 AM. Reason: moving #1 post images down :)

Thanks
    lol. . that was fast. . that's great. Very resourceful! lol

for a cylinder, maybe a glass? or toilet paper tube?
    for a cube, maybe a die (sp?) (one of dice)?
    for a cone, I don't know how to describe it in words, but you can roll a piece of paper into a cone.
    For a ball. . . well, a ball I guess. . . tennis ball, golf. . . .?

I think you're drawing is good. Half the time I feel like you are really observing what you see, and the other half of the time you are drawing what you think you know is there - or stylizing it.

For example, on the cube, you really captured the "squishiness," and the way the top of the cube was pressed in with your finger. On the other hand, if you look at the left side of the cube, you can see that you drew what you knew should be a straight side of the cube, but the same line on the actual cube curves to the right.

(Though maybe you did that on purpose and I'm being too picky.

Vilppu says to imagine your pencil point is actually on the form as you draw it instead of the paper.

Have you ever done blind drawing? You take a pen and very slowly trace the edges of what you're trying to draw with your eyes, just letting the pen move on the paper without looking at the paper. The drawing won't end up looking like what you see, but the lines will have a lot of character, and it's a really helpful way to force yourself to see things. (it's a lot more interesting and less boring to do this with a hand, or a plant instead of straight edged things.)

That's also in the Betty Edwards book

P.s. Looked at your website and and really liked the "Ak," drawing. You've got amazingly clean lines.

Thanks
    you've got great line quality. there's a lot of confidence in your strokes and i like that definitely do some more observational studies. Great start

Thanks
    every time i wander the house to look for objects to draw, i have flashbacks of being at school again and doing bad drawings for my art homework!
    so i had a look through some photodiscs and drew from reference - does that count?
    is it bad to learn solely from reference material?

and yes you're right again - i noticed that i draw from 'memory' and ive really got to focus and force myself to draw what i see.
    also, i've just had a go at doing the blind drawing technique you mentioned - it's so much fun! i'm definitely going to have to track down that Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain book :D

thanks burdie - but my strokes are only confident on a computer, i frantically hammer undo :) on paper i end up tearing away the paper ;\

that raises another question - is it 'bad/wrong' for me to attempt to learn solely using digital methods?

Thanks
    Welcome teroteki. When I saw your thumbnail of the manga heads/faces, it reminded me of when I used to fill a page with Gray alien heads for practice/study. There's something familiar about that part of your style or the way you group the objects you are studying.

Thanks
    thought i'd try some experiments to help make my line strokes more confident.
    here's some abstract forms, the key theme being continuous line strokes

Thanks
    hello! I'm digging the way you paint skin - loving your digital sketches. Great start and great observation!

Thanks

confident lines

Um, I don't think you need to worry about your lines being confident at all. Even your pencil sketches have a nice line, and your abstracts are amazing.

I'm also not sure it matters so much that you use pencil and paper or not. I don't know enough to tell you. However, a good artist should be able to learn any medium, as drawing well is about how you see, not what you draw with. In graphic design, they make you reduce things down to their simplest form and symbol. Exactly what you want to avoid in drawing, if you want to draw what you see, then you have to avoid making symbols for things, even if they're more sophisticated symbols.

I don't know if I'm explaining it very well, but if you go to the Photoshop thread, you can see people learning to paint in Photoshop, but they are still doing it by observing things carefully, even though they're using Photoshop instead of a pencil. . or pen. . or paint. The medium doesn't really matter as much. . .

I used to have a teacher who would tell his students they could bring any medium in on the last class and he would draw with it. He said one student once brought ketchup and mustard, but he still made a good drawing out of it.

Thanks
    i come from a design background.. and that completely explains why i keep trying to simplify things! haha i never noticed it before!
    i'll be checking out the photoshop threads methinks. i might also try out a ketchup 'n' mustard doodle

small test trying to structure shapes with values
    Attachment 771409

another test attempting to fuse my 3d models with a sketch (which i hope to paint at some point)
    Attachment 771414

Thanks
    haha painting is so hard it always looks flat and pale :3

Attachment 772109

Lusaka, Zambia. Willing to relocate to anywhere in the world.
    Thanks
    very nice update i love the chick though i think she lost some of that attitude she had during the conversion from line art to painting, cool 3d models too, wish i could do 3d stuff half that good.
    Last edited by miycko; September 7th, 2009 at 06:54 AM.
    DRAW UNTILL IT HURTS
    AND THEN DRAW SOME MORE

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast