Portfolio thus far - please offer criticisms and advice, eager to improve

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Portfolio thus far - please offer criticisms and advice, eager to improve

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ok so this is the selection of images I have so far.

comments are welcome, especially constructive criticism.

All in all im pleased with these images but I would like to gauge how the community thinks.

Thanks a lot CA

James

Website - www.james-tennant.co.uk

Please visit.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Evil Clown. I quess this should be in the critique center?

First of what is the focus of your portfolio? Are you aiming for game concept artist? Then loose the portraits, they're fine to have as personal studies but not something you put into concept art portfolio.

If characters are what you want to do, then do more of them. Also turn-arounds and orthographicla designs wouldn't hurt.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I was going to put it in the critque centre, but I read that the finally finished section is also for critiques of works of maybe a higher level than those found in the critique centre. Namely intermediate to professional work.

I would like a portfolio to advertise me as a commission artist, willing to do portraits, or well known characters in my own style.

What do you think of the style of illustration?

Thanks

Please visit.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Clown View Post
    Well I was going to put it in the critque centre, but I read that the finally finished section is also for critiques of works of maybe a higher level than those found in the critique centre. Namely intermediate to professional work.

I would like a portfolio to advertise me as a commission artist, willing to do portraits, or well known characters in my own style.

What do you think of the style of illustration?

Thanks
    Gonna be honest with you, your skill isn't in the intermediate to professional range. You have lots of work needs to be done on anatomy, and your general understanding of form. I'm kinda guessing the portraits are paint overs. Your lines are not dynamic at all, which is counter-productive to the look you seem to be going for. Also I wouldn't suggest using those basic textures on the characters. If you don't know what you're doing with texture, it just comes off as amateurish.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the input man.

However the portraits are not paint overs.

Please visit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you want critique, you shouldnt pass up the critique forum because you think you are too good for it. You'd be surprised by the quality of critiques, some by professionals too i might add.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didnt mean I was better than this forum. I hope that hasnt been what people have thought. Im sorry.

I just thought that because all my pieces were finished I could put them up in the finally finished section.

Please visit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry, i misunderstood then.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sept13 and Liffey are spot on with their critiques of your actual portfolio and your work in general.

I'm going to critique your attitude;

You've been posting on these forums for a long time now getting some great advice from other members on how to improve your work but you're just not listening - If you were, improvements would start showing. All of your actions say to me that you're not actually after critiques at all, you're after replies and back-pats. Every time you get a critique, you defend your choices and actions which is a sign that you're not willing to improve.

This is about the 4th thread that I've seen you post those exact same portraits which is completely unnecessary.

My advice; Start taking all of the useful advice that the other forum members are giving you and actually use it. Don't give excuses and don't keep posting the same work unless it has drastically improved based on the critiques you have received.

DeviantArt is for replys, favorites and back-pats.

ConceptArt.org is for becoming a better artist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im sorry that you feel that way. I do want to get better and I feel I have improved since I first posted. Anatomy and pose were issues when I first posted, and although Im by no means fantastic I think I have improved on those areas based on critiques given to me by this forum.

My painting skills were also lacking, from the first portrait I put up on here a while back. However now, again due to the criticisms and help of the forums I believe I have posted vastly improved portraits.

I am sorry for posting up the portraits again I just wanted an overall critique on the portfolio this time round.

I apologise if my attitude comes across as negatively as that but believe me I take all critiques seriously and try and improve with every piece I do.

Please visit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Portraits: They may not be paint-overs, but they look very "photo referenced." Specifically, photos with flash, i.e., crappy snapshots. I'm sure you learned some things doing them, so, not a complete waste of time.... but they shouldn't go in your portfolio. Try again using photos with good lighting. Also, watch the grays in your skin-tones -- whether it's accurate or not, it's not flattering, especially on women.

My advice: Keep working. Do more studies and fewer "finished" pieces. You're not ready to put together a professional portfolio. I think you can get there, but you need to put in a lot more time.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Morgan_R For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah - they're paintovers. There are particular signs with light and line that make this show.

Don't get me wrong, painting over a photo can be a study tool, but it's really not a great way to get to the desired end point.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wouldn't go as far as to say paint-over, yet at the same time very photo referenced. Most employers look for two things - creativity and technical ability. On that note the portraits are weak in both categories. Your strongest work is the Inventor. If this is the style you prefer explore it and develop it. The portraits are your weakest link. If they showed a mastery in painting and form I would leave them in. If you want to do more realistic painting, and get better listen to the comments. I'm a senior graphic designer at a design firm, and I'm responsible for hiring graphic designers and illustrators for client projects. I wouldn't hire you based on your portfolio.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to eb_sculpt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks a lot for the comments guys.

Eb-sculpt - I do feel most comfortable doing work in that style (the inventor) So I will improve it and try to get better at it.

Mini-goth - They arent paintovers

More studies it is - thanks again!

Please visit.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.