Could use feedback with the figure... and everything else!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Could use feedback with the figure... and everything else!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Could use feedback with the figure... and everything else!

Here's a line drawing of some Warcraft fan art I'm working on... I've only done some basic figure drawing before, so this is all a bit foreign to me. I really want to improve with these kinds of drawings though, especially when it comes to natural poses, perspective, etc.

To crit myself a bit, I'm not too happy with the left hand (right on screen) - forearm might be a bit too long. I'm probably going to rework the face as well and make it more interesting. Then I'll spend a few hours coloring...

Anyway, would love some feedback! Thanks in advance!

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by kryoth; September 1st, 2009 at 11:10 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Something about the figure looks a bit stiff to me, but I can't really place anything specific. Perhaps it's because the whole body seems to be pretty much straight up and down, not sure. The does bring me to ask what's causing her wrap to flip up like that in the back. It doesn't seem to be responding to any movement of her body, and her hair seems to be moving in the opposite direction. So I'm not really certain what's up there.

The visible leg looks a little stubby from the knee down, as compared to the rest of her build, and the foot placement seems awkward. The forward foot really should be lower than the rear in this case, but the heel seems higher. You can fix both those issues at the same time, I'd say.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nezumi Works For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What really is popping out to me is proportions - the knee is usually half way between the torso and the ankle.
    Secondly, I recommend paying attention to the details of the connection of the feet to the legs and the rear hand to the wrist.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to softocean For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Top half looks pretty good. As has been pointed out, the knee is low and the feet are tiny.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, thanks a lot for the feedback guys! Lots of work to do, but hopefully I'm getting somewhere. I'll post an update soon.

Nezumi Works: Not sure how I'd correct the stiffness, hopefully fixing the legs/feet will help a bit. As for the dress and hair, I was just randomly playing around with both separately and will change them quite a bit to be more consistent. Thank you very much for pointing this out!

softocean: Wow, knee being half way between hip and ankle makes a lot of sense... Somehow I didn't have that proportion straight in my mind. Thanks!

Elwell: Thank you! I actually started off with just the torso, but then decided to do a full figure - maybe that's why it looks off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, I think (hope) I'm good on proportions and all that jazz, but please let me know if anything sticks out. Getting pretty tired, will continue with this tomorrow...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think this is one of those cases where you rely on reference and your own body. Try standing in the position your character has, and shift until it feels natural. Keep that in mind and either have someone photograph you that way, or find stock that matches that feeling. That should give you a guide.

I think one thing that's making it look stiff is her weight seems to be evenly balanced between her two legs. Mostly when you stand you'll put your weight more on one or the other, so think about that when you try it out. That, of course, effects how the rest of the body balances, how high or low each shoulder is, etc., and should add more tension to the whole composition.

And speaking of tension, that's another thing you could do is make the hand with the orb/focal point a bit more dramatic. That way, you can draw attention to the balance between what her arm and hand are doing, and the rest of her body. Maybe treat it as if the floating ball of light actually has weight, or it takes some physical effort of another sort. Just suggestions, and you may take it another way, but worth thinking about.

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Nezumi Works For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Better, but by moving the foot back you've thrown the figure off balance. And the feet are still tiny.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep an eye on your perspective. You've got the guidelines I see, so remember to apply that to the foot positions. Forward foot should be lower.

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Nezumi Works For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh you guys are hard customers to please, this is turning into quite a pain for me. This is good though, I really need to get better at this stuff. Hopefully some figure drawing classes are in store for me soon too.

Anyway, I played around a bit with just crudely lasso-selecting and moving the legs around to get that balance back, and I think I like this latest iteration.

Nezumi, as you suggested, I tried to mimic this pose on my own and took a long hard look in the mirror (no friend with camera around unfortunately) and I think it helped. You mentioned the hand with the orb, and I actually do want that to be a focal point in the end, so I might add a bit of dynamism there. I don't wanna push the perspective too much, but please let me know if it still looks off. Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Elwell, thank you very much for the comments again! Hopefully the balance is better now, and I beefed up the feet a little. Were they really that tiny? I'm almost afraid to make them sasquatch-size now, but I trust your judgment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Much better, I think - although it seems to me that the right thigh (our left) is too long now in perspective. I'd shorten it and angle it more, maybe.

Definitely comes across as more dynamic now.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to GoldSeven For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agree with GoldSeven, there's a lot good going on with this pic now. The left thigh looks a little long and the right calf looks a little short, and the crotch area in general is a bit fuzzy so I'm not sure what's up there, but there's definite improvement.

I wouldn't push the orb arm all that much more either, honestly. What with the change in stance and expression, the tension is just fine now. You can drama things up a bit with lighting effects from the orb itself, of course.

Keep at it, this is coming along wonderfully.

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Nezumi Works For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, thanks a lot for the comments again! Haven't had a chance to work on this yesterday, but put a few hours in tonight. Hopefully I got those legs dialed in now, jeez...

Anyway, I'm starting to dress this lady up and running into a few dilemmas - mainly the choice between the long and shirt skirt (if you can call whatever that is a skirt). On one hand, I kinda like the way long looks better, but it almost completely hides the right leg. I could be OK with that if it doesn't confuse the viewer in any way. The short skirt just looks a bit too slutty to me, or is it? The line between sexy and slutty seems a bit blurry to me a lot of times.

Also, as I start this detailing, I hope not to make too crazy with all the swirly things, colors, etc. Please let me know if I'm already pushing that.

Thanks again guys! All this feedback has been extremely helpful so far, and I really appreciate it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Split the difference. And maybe make it a lighter fabric, the longer version looks very heavy and would take a pretty stiff breeze to blow that much. As well, I'd say have a little fabric coming over the hip. Doesn't have to be a lot, but it would sell the fact that she's not entirely exposing her left butt cheek better.

The anatomy looks way better, by the way.

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Nezumi Works For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nezumi, thanks a lot for feedback again! I was toying around with a shorter skirt, but decided to go long in the end. It also fits better with all the artwork I've seen from Blizzard (I think...).

Anyway, here's the progress. I hope I have a lot of major parts pretty much done, but obviously still have to do the staff, some background maybe, and a bunch of little details here and there. I also want to go over the face again, get that hair situation straightened out a bit, etc.

As always, would love to hear feedback!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Something's funny about the eye placement, I think. It's subtle, but I think her left eye is closer to her nose than her right, once you take perspective into account. It's not a big deal, and I'm not 100% sure I'm even right there. Otherwise, I'd say you've done a great job. I assume you're still going to do lighting effects from the orb, finish the staff, and so forth, so no point commenting on that.

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nezumi, I think you were right about the eyes, I ended up moving the right one a tiny bit closer to the nose. Thanks!

Anyway, I think I'm getting pretty close to done, but I'm struggling with the background a bit. The focus of this image is obviously on the character, so I don't wanna get too hung up on the background - but I don't want to leave it half-assed either. I feel like it has to be a fairly dark environment to make the character and blue glow stand out, but I'm not sure... it's not clicking with me just yet.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, you're pretty much past my level by this point, so all I can say is you've done a great job all 'round.

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nezumi, I highly doubt that I am "past your level", as I obviously learned quite a lot from your suggestions here. Thank you very much!

Anyway, I tried to balance the background a bit more, added a few details here and there, and I think I'm ready to call this one done. I'd love to get some overall opinions on this, what I could improve on in the future, etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All I can say is, she really knows how to work the AH to get an actual set of matching armor. I've never been able to do it in the actual game.

Personally, I'd say you learned a lot on the way through creating this image, so saying anything other than "well done" would be superfluous. So well done!

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.