Star Wars Scene, Kamino jedi/sith battle
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Star Wars Scene, Kamino jedi/sith battle

Last edited by Space dust; August 27th, 2009 at 09:43 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the idea, I think this can turn out with a really epic feel to it, with a few changes.
    the first thing that i noticed is that it's too hazy. It's very hard to make anything out at first glance, try to sharpen out the structures/floating buildings some more, and add some contrast. The jedi and sith stand out very unnaturally, even though I understand that you want the focus to be on them and the light sabers.
    overall, love the concept, waiting to see where you take it!

"I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    http://jonathanguziart.blogspot.com/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jo2morrow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool concept, for sure. It's funny...I've been on an AOTC kick for the last few days anyway, so this looks quite familiar.

I agree with Jo2morrow that the haziness is overkill. Atmospheric perspective and haze and fog and rain can contribute marvelous things to an image, but you have to be careful how you use it. Instead of obscuring the whole thing, try bringing out closer and/or more important elements while letting more distant ones fade away. Having more contrast and definition on the main platform would be really nice. The sky could also use some darker areas. And down at the bottom, it's a little indistinct what we're looking at...is this platform floating, or does that pylon go down into the water? In any case, it appears to be going behind a cloud, which means it should get significantly paler and less distinct. That'll help with depth, too.

The lightning also needs some work. It looks like you were trying to be subtle about it, but the result is just that it doesn't look like lightning. Nearby lightning is never subtle. If it's as close as the platform, the core of the bolt should pretty much be pure white, with sharp edges and soft glow around it. The more distant stuff can be more subtle, but definitely study some reference photos to get a better feel for the shape and overall appearance of the lightning. That'll improve the depth, too!

Oh, and one last little thing for fun, if you want...you might want to highlight just a few tiny droplets of rain near the lightsabers. It'll enhance the drama and realism a little. Try doing the same thing with the lights and lightning, too. Just a tiny, hard brush with a bright color and a fairly high opacity.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Datameister For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the replys

i too think that the haze and rain killed it, because theres meant to be more platforms in the background.

ill tone it down, and add some depht to the front platform, the 2nd lightning bolt does need brightening up because of how close it is, and ill sort out the jedi properly and add some after touch effects

thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think if you added some waves crashing against the base of the tower it would help with the floating structure issue. I like how you have created the rain affect, was this a texture you used?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the rain was a technique i use for animations that have rain,

you add a new layer to the top, fill it with black, add noise makes sure its monochromatic and gaussian, move the slider to the depth of rain you want, then you add motion blur, again move the directional to the way to want it, and the length of the rain. then just change the opacity and maybe put the layer to overlay or soft light

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Added water, tried to darken the platform, other platforms in, minor things

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Definitely an improvement, I'd say. Still some issues to sort out, however:

* With the addition of the ocean and the horizon line, you've introduced some rather serious perspective issues. If the tops of the platforms are flat, we wouldn't be able to see them from this angle. You'd only be able to see them if they appeared below the horizon line. So you either need to hide the top surfaces or move your horizon line up near the top of the image. Now, if the tops are dome-shaped, that's different - but you need to shade the domes in such a way that they look rounded.

* I preferred the more saturated lightsabers from before.

* There are some weird hard edges in the clouds, and it's rather hard to tell where the light is coming from.

* Now the lightning just looks smudgy. Gotta use some reference, man! You want a hard-edged, extremely bright core with a somewhat colored glow around it. In fact, lightning really just looks like a very large, jagged, desaturated lightsaber.

For inspiration, definitely check out some of the Kamino concept art that Ryan Church, Erik Tiemens, and Doug Chiang did. There's some great stuff in The Art of Star Wars: Attack of the Clones. Actually, that was THE book that clued me in to the wonders of digital painting.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Datameister For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, i realised that after i put the water in the perspective went way off

will fix that, remove the lightning maybe put something else in, define a proper light source and do general touchups

will post soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a cool idea but I think you need to render the platforms a lot more. Rain will give off a fuzzier look to things but you still need to put detail into it.

Art

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sluggert For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think ill just leave this here

tryed to fix perspective

Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.