IDW #108: Monster-hunter Gear - Voting
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite image in this round of IDW!

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • SIME

4 13.79%
  • lkjhgfdsa

3 10.34%
  • Dan Levy

13 44.83%
  • paran0id

0 0%
  • Ryan DeMita

8 27.59%
  • alive

1 3.45%

Thread: IDW #108: Monster-hunter Gear - Voting

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Icon IDW #108: Monster-hunter Gear - Voting

IDW #108 Topic: Monster-hunter Gear

Deadline: Saturday, September 6

No voting for your own entries! I repeat, no voting for your own entries

Give critiques and comments, we're all here to learn from each other!

Original thread: IDW #108: Monster-hunter Gear

Name:  IDW logo poll smaller.JPG
Views: 1584
Size:  7.5 KB

Last edited by yoitisi; August 29th, 2009 at 05:20 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is my first time entering in here, great topic, had to have a go!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SIME; August 28th, 2009 at 06:57 AM. Reason: rubbish spelling!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    H.P. Lovecraftian

The word ‘anarchy’ comes from the ancient Greek αναρχία in which αν meant ‘without’ and αρχία meant first a military ‘leader’ and then ‘ruler’. Anarchist society is one ‘without rulers’: a classless, non-hierarchical society.
    “You need people like me.
    You need people like me so you can point your grubby fingers and say, "That's the bad guy.""

SKETCHY Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An assortment of equipment carried by a typical monster hunter. Due to most monsters being demonic in nature, they usually have a resistance to worldly damage, thus hunters often opt to bless their weapons before engaging in combat. This causes them to appear "glowing" to humans, but their "higher" nature renders them invisible to "lesser" entities, ensuring the hunter remains unseen. Hunters will usually carry a few Holy items, including a symbol of their chosen God, blessed water, and a tome of blessings, which act as wards against weaker monsters. A hunter usually carries short and long range weaponry, favouring long range over close combat due to most monsters' superior strength. Poisons may also be carried in special cases, to incapacitate or confuse foes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I never believed people who said that their computer died and they couldn't finish the task... Now I feel kinda bad. Nevertheless...

Name:  iwd_003.jpg
Views: 1502
Size:  60.3 KB

Cocktail:
    Jin and Tonic was yesterday.

Knife:
    Inflicts pain.
    Black antireflective coating, double edged, cuts wood and bones, operational from -40 to +100 celcsius.
    Preferd victims: Goblines and Witches.

Machete:
    For more delicate matters. Likes sunsets. Also Zombies and Mummies.
    Prefers slow moving or stationary targets.

Rifle
    Long range engagment.
    Old monsterhunter saying: "If you can hit it with a pistol, you are already dead."
    Not many werewolves can say of themself to have seen Betty up close. None lived to tell the tale.

iCross:
    The final Touch

Monsterhunter on the subject of hunting... vampire females:
    "Its armor value is greater than my good old friend alone so I equip 'em immediately. This ain't no fashion show, you need to protect yo' ass when there are fucking vampires around and no Glocks in sight."

Remember! They are immortal. You are not!

[] sketchbook [] [nsfw]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hit em with the electrified 50 cal, they're not gettin up...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

draconis armor /wilhelm belmont

draconis armor, worn by the legendary slayer of dracula....

so I did another one, I thought castlevania would be awesome inspiration so i tried to create my very own Belmont character, i think it came out ok but I was having trouble with a background so i put it on white. I think I will try to add a secondary lightsource and background to make him dramatic, but I think that that his general design does have a castlevania feel to it so i am very happy

Last edited by alive; August 28th, 2009 at 10:53 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Just a few notes on this round:

Nice to see this topic brought some cool entries. Also cool to see a few familiar faces back in here That's basically it. Please vote and don't hesitate to give crits to everyone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everything is imho and personal preference!

SIME
    + clean design, clean presentation, actually possible to work
    - maybe to cold, emotionless, only one gun
    lkjhgfdsa
    + lots of stuff,
    - store wall has a very unfinished feel, design of the big guns kind of hard to imagine to work, imho some weapons are over-saturated with cool details that dont make sense, like the flame thrower with all those holes in it, or the chainsaw with strange mounting and a grip very far away from your other hand, if you imagine how to hold it.
    Dan Levy
    + fancy, nice lighting
    - feels kind of plain, the upper bag seems to hang in the air
    paran0id
    - no background, unfinished rendering, not enough obvious monsterhunting stuff, should have drawn all items in the same perspective on the same file, maybe in the same scale, cross looks like a plastic piece of shit
    Ryan DeMita VOTE
    + personal preference: fucking love the repeater style rifles of wild west, nice presentation, good render
    - only one gun
    alive
    + nicely rendered
    - I hate the huge sword, huge armor stuff, the dude below works but isn't this more castelvania fanart than idw108? Also anatomy needs work, length and thickness of arms and legs, the size of the boots in comparison to each other.

[] sketchbook [] [nsfw]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i cant seem to choose one i like the best, between lkjfsgs and dans i think would be my two favorites

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks paran0id. I agree, I was struggling a bit to actually "design" the gear, rather than just draw some stuff that already exists. Nice to see you critting yourself too.

Gotta agree with all your crits. I like lkjhgfdsa's idea, but I feel a little more time could've been spent designing making the guns "feel" like they'd work. They seem to have random bits all over them, and they don't look very solid.

Also, alive's stuff is cool. I'm just a bit unsure what any of the stuff does. I'd like to know a bit more about the things he's carrying.

Pixie Trick is offline Industrial Design of the Week Leader
    Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are two things that keep on running through my mind as I look at this thread: 1) A study from Carleton University that found that if the world were to be overrun by zombies, we would have to attack hard and furiously, (Link here) and 2) The book, The Zombie Survival Guide's mantra -> axes, knives etc, don't run out of ammo/fuel. This is what is particularly keeping me from voting from gun heavy/only gun entries. Solo item entries also don't cut it as a "kit" in my mind, especially if it is to kill a variety of monsters.

Sime: Very nice design, and neat idea for the bullet.

lkjhgfdsa: I agree with the others in that it looks like there are way too many bits that serve no identifiable purpose. For some I had to read the description to tell what they were for sure. I like that you have a variety of items, and knife-guns are always cool.

Dan Levy: I like your lighting. Yes, you could have designed the items a bit more advenurously. The bag looks like it's floating a bit.

Paranoid: Better luck next time with your computer problems. I'm going to have to say that the design of your weapons could have been worked out a little more.

Ryan DeMita: "Not meant for users under 12 years of age"

Son, I know you can't drive yet, or drink, but I think you're ready for this. Now just aim there and give that evil monster a nice hole in it's chest.

That's just the little scene that ran through my head with the warning. Always the best part of any product. The butt of it is a bit of a mystery right now. Maybe some nice patterns there or something.

alive: Your entry is a bit more ChOW than, IDW material almost. This also seems to be more armor design than weapons.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good round guys! fun topic for sure

pixie trick- Good point . Although, despite what Charleton university says, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a game company out there that's not going to have lots guns for killing monsters. I think it might be interesting to see some designs that solve both problems by having guns with attachable melee weapons. Thanks for the kind words, my design was a bit of a joke. Some long lost gun design that's completely dangerous to use.

Everyone did well, but my vote went to
    Sime- I just feel it was handled very professionally, as shown through the process work. It has all the goods: interesting design, believability, nice render, ect. I only have one nit-picky crit, the gun site mechanism is a bit odd. The "rail" (where add-ons such as sites, lights, ect, are attached) is covered by the handle. There are also a some ergonomic issues, as mentioned before with the shoulder rest, ect. Other than that, great work!

ikjhgf- I think these rock, seriously. Its obvious you set out to make something fun and out-there. I think you're very close to finding that balance between realism and abstraction. Once you do that, you'll be kicking some serious ass.

dan levy- beautiful render! You really have an eye for color and form. As mentioned, I'd say putting a little more into the design work would make this totally rock. You obviously have the skills!

paranoid- I love your description. Maybe putting some of that character into your designs would really make them shine. Great work!

alive- You put a ton of work into this! I love Castlevania. Keep doing what you're doing. There's a lot of really great reference out there for armor and such, use it to your advantage. You took that topic and really pushed it which is awesome to see.

fun stuff here,
    -Ryan

Last edited by Ryan DeMita; August 31st, 2009 at 03:23 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thnx ryan, appreciate you saying that, i liked your concept alot too but i think the back of the rifle could have been more refined, that would be my only crit for ya this week cause it was awesome, u should design some pizza scooters now, -later

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for Dan Levy, I also find Ryan DeMita's gear very cool

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ARGH! I can't believe I missed this!!! I got to wrapped up in to TeamCHOW to even notice...son of a....oh well...I voted for Levy. I really like the non-technological approach he took. Old school monster fighting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dan levy, i love your entry.... absolutely great art and a very nice story.. It's subtle in design, i like that! congratz!!!

Members who have read this thread: 1