C.O.W. #153 -- Lean, Green and Mean -- VOTING - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your favorite Lean, Green and Mean creature!

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lander

3 3.26%
  • Arbinn

1 1.09%
  • PowleyMan

0 0%
  • Ironhead

3 3.26%
  • Yor

2 2.17%
  • lkjhgfdsa

0 0%
  • Jerik

2 2.17%
  • kimliatach

2 2.17%
  • evolvingeye

0 0%
  • StreetBehemoth

0 0%
  • mobius-9

7 7.61%
  • dwinbotp

2 2.17%
  • Mr--Jack

27 29.35%
  • ATAnderson

6 6.52%
  • Crustibian

0 0%
  • Verehin

8 8.70%
  • FAST ART

5 5.43%
  • Steve Somers

0 0%
  • Dulcahn

0 0%
  • NickTrip

1 1.09%
  • MikeBurns

0 0%
  • darkly

2 2.17%
  • GoldenSerpent

9 9.78%
  • GentlemanCrow

4 4.35%
  • jsn

0 0%
  • BlkCelebration

3 3.26%
  • Izer

0 0%
  • alive

0 0%
  • The Searle

0 0%
  • Lege1

1 1.09%
  • Mike D

0 0%
  • scorge

2 2.17%
  • yoitisi

2 2.17%
  • jrbarker

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: C.O.W. #153 -- Lean, Green and Mean -- VOTING

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: The Searle

Concept: The Berwick-upon-Tweed Dragon
    At night whe the wee ones wer' a'kip. Thee Dragon came doon and gave us lip.
    With temper mickle and wings a muckle. The flames did pour the bridge did buckle.
    The high-street soured a mighty flame. Ah hadnee not a soul to blame.
    But merry sir was on said haal. A wizard sacrificed it aal.
    The magic man he cast a spell, but we aal nah the dragon is wiel.
    Now upon the Tweed their lies a curse which spoken of is in this verse.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Searle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Lege1

Concept: Acropede

[/B]The Acropopede is a sinister forest dweller with an attitude and creative anatomy. It lurks amongst the forest blending in with the shadows of dusk and dawn during it's feeding time stalking all the forestland has to offer. No animal can survive against this predator as it's god of it's terrain. The Acropopede has a unique anatomy that allows it to manuever around the complicated labyrinth of trees in the the forest that it considers home. This creature contains a venomous and most paralyzing bite as it rips its prey to shreds and devours them similar to some of our favorite dinosaurs.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Lege1; September 1st, 2009 at 09:27 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Mike D

Concept: Thraxus
    The Thraxus is commonly used for sport hunting by members of the Zu-tuoa race located within the solar system T-23456.0. Originally used as guard dogs of a sort for the local miners due to there toughness and aggression. But now widely used in games of life and death by local high stake gambling circuits. There almost evil like cunning and pure enjoyment of the hunt has made them extremely popular among betters and odds-makers alike.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it would seem i've missed this wan, oh well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Scorge

Concept: Bitter Bug
    Not since man has a more loathsome and devilish creature roamed the earth than the Bitter Bug. Frustrated at its inability to fly and said to be green with envy at its imperfections, this meany wreaks havoc on every living thing unfortunate enough to cross its path. With a permanent scowl and murder on its tiny mind, the bug scours the land in search of victims in order to unload its primitive and childish fury.

Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: yoitisi

Concept: Swampdog

This cold-blooded creature lives in the tropical swamps of the planet Ghordunji. It has a mean temper and despite it's lizard like body system it's very quick on it's three feet. The fourth limp has grown into a weird kind of fin, that it uses to swim.

Name:  COW 153 Lean Green Mean final small.jpg
Views: 1455
Size:  429.2 KB

Last edited by yoitisi; September 3rd, 2009 at 01:18 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Artist: J.R. Barker

Concept: Fissk

Nocturnal and elusive jungle carnivore.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great entries all around. I voted for Fast Art. This piece just drew my attention with the lighting, the composition, and the creature looks awesome. I really liked Scorge's, Lander's, Mobius-9's, and Mr--Jack's. Great round!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to evolvingeye For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 394 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I voted ATAnderson, love it, looks so realistic, and somehow melancholy.

I also like Mr--Jack's colours, Alive's armour-like skin, and Lander's animal owning that poor, slightly surprised-looking Mobawatuu.

Great work all round guys, keep it up.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Choob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd say this was a fantastic round. I don't think I have ever seen som many cool critters.
    Will next round be the revenge of the bunnies?

I voted for Verehin but there were several that came close second. I hope to get the time to write something about the entries but I have a load of kids to care for so now is not the time.
    See you hanging

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Lander For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey great round here, had too decide between a few but GoldenSerpent gets my vote! The piece seems seems so alive with emotion for me and I love the style.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hate only being able to vote once! though it makes sense to only allow one vote per person.

It was tough to pick just one but I had to go with GoldenSerpent. The pose, the design, the composition, it all just took a hold of me. The description really enhances the image too, I can almost hear it screeching! I felt this one excelled on so many levels that I had to pick it.

There were a lot of other tremendous entries too. Some personal favorites include: Arbinn, Ironhead, Jerik, dwinbotp, Mr--Jack, ATAnderson, Verehin, darkly, BlkCelebration, and scorge. I'll try and specify more later. Nice round everyone!

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeBurns For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for goldenserpent as it actually looks lean, green and mean...

The word ‘anarchy’ comes from the ancient Greek αναρχία in which αν meant ‘without’ and αρχία meant first a military ‘leader’ and then ‘ruler’. Anarchist society is one ‘without rulers’: a classless, non-hierarchical society.
    “You need people like me.
    You need people like me so you can point your grubby fingers and say, "That's the bad guy.""

SKETCHY Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for ATAnderson. Great design, composition, silhouette and color scheme. I love the style, not too overworked but also perfectly defined and solid. But there were so many great entries. It was a tough choice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote went to Arbinn and the Sugarsnake, just a interesting take on the topic, a different kind of mean.. Awesome work to all that participated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was a really awesome round with a ton of killer artwork! Everyone did a fantastic job. Here's some crits I've put together. I hope these are useful...

Lander - That's a really cool idea and I like the design of the creature. I think your image could have used a little more polish

Arbinn - Your's is funny. I especially like that its sticking out its tongue at the kid. You did a good job with the color and details. I think you could soften up some of your edges, everything is really hard edged at the moment.

PowleyMan - I like the way you've textured it's skin as well as the overall storybook feel to the artwork. I would say that you might want to tighten up the drawing a little bit more and also, the lightning bugs seem to be a little to bright and distract from the creature a bit.

Ironhead - Nice design, your creature has a nice style and feel to it and I like they way you handled the color in this piece. Everything is bright and smooth. You might be trying to do a perspective thing here, but I think it's eye would look better if they were the same size.

Yor - Very cool piece. It has a sort of ben templesmith, dead space feel to it. The upside-down arrangement of its features is cool, but what are the red slits on its head? They look cool but they're a little confusing.

lkjhgfdsa - You've got a cool sea dragon-esq design going here. I like how you've coated it's head in blood. It looks like the thickness of it's body between the two fins gets a little weird though. Good work!

Jerik - Very cool idea, it would have been nice to see some more mandrake in the final design. The style is great though!

Kimliatach - I like how you have the legs double as a stem, but the bug looks a little too much like an ordinary leaf bug.

evolvingeye - Poor Curt! I like that you've used red for the sky instead of the standard blue, I think it just needs to be a little brighter. Also the hands of the monster look like they could use a little more work. But overall you've come up with a pretty cool piece.

StreetBehemoth - I really like the style and the POV. It seems like the piece could use a little bit more color.

mobius-9 - Awesome work! The composition is great as is the painterly style. Some of the scribbles bug me a little bit, I think maybe they get a little too loose here and there, but overall you did a really fine job!

dwinbotp - Another awesome picture! You have a great sense of motion and form on both the creature and the figure. The only thing I would say is that the ground is a little plain. But the creature looks great!

Mr--Jack - I really like all the detail you've included in your creature, it's plates are really cool looking. I agree though that its a little hard to read the structure on the far side of it's mouth..

ATAnderson - Really great style and painterly approach. Your creature seems solid and well designed. I would say maybe you should add a touch of bright color here or there. Great work!

Crustibian - Your story has that weird messed up classic fairy tale feel to it. I like it. I like the way your piece feels and the way you've textured it, but overall the image seems a little bit too dark.

Verehin - I voted for this one! I really like the textures to everything, your style, and the wicked design! Great work! I would have liked to see some more of those textures and details on it's stomach.

FAST ART - Your creature is awesome. I also really like the apparent angle of the artwork. It does get a little too dark in places though. Now these people sacrifice one baby per day? They must be very busy!

Steve Somers - I like how you put your creature to practical use! You did a good job with the oil paints, the style is really nice. The water in the bg seems to be tilting forward rather than receeding back into space.

Dulcahn - I like the idea and action of your piece, but the creature looks like a cameleon with wings.

MikeBurns - Gopp sounds a lot like my dog... Your creature is creative and unique! I think you just need to crisp up some details on it.

darkly - Very nice. Your creatures are nice looking with a cool style and I love your approach for the bg. The only thing is that the grass seems a little fluffly and lacks the same lighting as the creatures.

GoldenSerpent - Again you've made a sylish and thoughtful design. Great work! The bg is a little bit loose but overall the artwork is great!

GentlemanCrow - I like all the thought you put into the backstory for your creature. The design of the creature is cool, but I think

overall the image could be a little lighter.

jsn - I like the multilegged design, but I think he's a little crammed into the side of the composition. Move it away from the edge a little.

BlkCelebration - You did a really great job with the colors and the overall design of your beastie is great. I think the brushes you've used in the background have a little to much detail compared to the level of detail in your creature.

Izer - Great job with the texturing and overall feel of the piece. The glowing effects are working really well. The only complaint I have is that the creatures face is a little too human-like.

alive - I really like your style. Your mark making, use of color and forms are really nice. I like how it has arms on its arms. I think you're trying to use perspective, having the further parts of its body smaller than the nearer stuff, but its making it look a little off balance. I would say try having all the symmetrical parts be the same size.

The Searle - You have an interesting style and it seems like there could be some nice things happening with color and texture, but your image is too small and too dark to be easily read.

Lege1 - I think you said you had some trouble in your personal life, and couldn't finish, but I actually thought this was already done. You did a great job with the design and drawing and the whole image has a really great misty forest feel to it. Great work! The bear could use some work but overall the image is nicely done.

Mike D - Really cool, I like all the details you've added. It could use a little more color variation.

scorge - Wow, really well done. You did an outstanding job designing this alien creature. The amount of detail is stunning. The only improvement to this that I could suggest is that the bg is a little unresolved.

yoitisi - Really dynamic drawing. Everything is very well done I would just like to see some more colors.

jrbarker - It's got a cool expression and you've done a good job with the rendering. I think it looks a little bit too much like a werewolf though.

Great job everybody!

Last edited by NickTrip; September 6th, 2009 at 03:34 PM.
    My Website / My Sketchbook / My DeviantArt

Garlunk|Human|lvl07|pvp00|E0|Siren's Well
    Tomyris|Mystical|lvl02|pvp00|E0|Killrog's Palace
    PAINT HAMMER! The Art Making RPG!

26. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to NickTrip For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually cried a bit looking at those poor rabbits gettin massacred scorge, heartless brute!

dwinbot and mobius stuff were also crasy along with a couple of others.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnj For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys,
    Sorry I haven't commented or anything but I've watched this COW evolve and it kind of motivated me to make the following critter. I'm not sure he would've even been acceptable as a submission but here he is:

Here's the WIP:

I started this when your topic opened up but I was too busy with team CHOW stuff and work. Sorry I couldn't participate. Comments to people who did participate:

Scorge: Wtf do you have against bunnies! That's brutal, I love it!

Lege1: That's a real cool creature but doesn't look very lean to me...

Lander: There's lots of motion in that work, like it very much. I think you should've selectively saturated the color in some parts of the image though. Right now it seems over saturated. I think you nailed the brief though... and poor cows, they're so tasty!

Ironhead: That is a very strange snail-like thing... I think it works.

Yor: Careful, looks on the border of being a CHOW. Very humanoid looking.

Mobius-9: Wicked looking, made me stare at it for a while. Good job!

Dwinbotp: Creature neat, plenty of motion in the picture. The runner doesn't work for me though, can't even say why... sorry. Great work either way!

Mr-Jack: That might be a winner, very good concept.

AT. Anderson: That's real well done painting too, congrats!

Verehin: Amazing work, yours is the one that really stands out for me in this challenge. The only part I'm worried is meeting the "lean" criteria. Imma vote for you!

Sorry I didn't comment on everyone's work. Looks like you guys had fun though, cheers!

Niva's Links: Sketchbook | Eternal Seven Website
    Doomsday Dream Clan Artists: Clanlord | Headhunter
    Team CHOW III: Doomsday Dream Clan

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Niva. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Comments? Comments.

I voted for Darkly's, as I think the image best conveyed the concept. They look like greyhounds, and have very mean angles and spikes. Lots of nice rainbow colors all around guys. Very interesting designs, well done pics. So, you probably want to hear some crits maybe. Just maybe. Well it's late, but I have time for a few. I will comment on the ones I was thinking of voting for, for a time.

Ironhead: nice concept. Cool lookin beast, bright Miami-like lighting.

Jerik: ooooh superdetailed... not quite lean though... at least not what I envision.

Mobius-9: I REALLY like the snake part of it. The lighting on that is superb, and I was going to vote for it just for that reason. The rest of the creature is a bit strangely put together though, for a minute I thought the furry thing was part of it 0_o . So, it gets a little muddled in other parts, I think because some things are hidden by the trees.

Fast art - woah, awesome ground and environment, especially that front paw, but the rest of him kind of gets lost. Dramatic and striking image though.

BLKCelebration - The colors are magnificent. The creature itself is rather ugly though, and it's not very lean. Beautiful lighting though.

And everyone voted for Mr. Jack because he is the god of COW. What can I say.

My DeviantArt Page | Help me improve!! My Sketchbook

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meganite For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Crits!

Lander - Nice work and I'm especially fond of seeing Falkor the luck dragon being disemboweled.
    Arbinn - Taking candy from a baby, now that's just plain mean. Even though I can see this one didn't get the same time as some of your other creatures, I think the concept is strong, and it communicates instantaneously.
    Powley Man - That turned out nice, even though you ditched the head I liked. But the lighting adds a nice tough, with the reflected light from the fireflys.
    Ironhead - I was suprised and impressed to see how far you took your piece. It's a very strange and unique idea, that wouldn't be nearly as effective without the attention to rendering you gave it.
    Yor- I like the upside down head and shaky walk, a nervous little fella like that could really unnerve someone.
    lkjhgfdsa - It enters the anus? Like it wasn't gruesome enough, now I have to picture it swimming up my ass, great. Your work always has that nice markmaking, with a lot of consecutive small lines, really gives you a signature style. Always love seeing your pieces.
    Jerik - Love the style of your Stygian Mandrake, the linework is very confident, fluid and descriptive, somewhere between knotted wood and ornate metalwork.
    kimliatach _ that's a very scientific approach, like a naturalists' drawing.
    Evolvong Eye - I like the concept of your beast because it evokes images of werewolves and arthurian dragons, so it feels like a creature from 1000 years ago, plus the gore is just good fun.
    Street behemoth - the humor and animated quality of yours make it unique, the type of design that begs for animation, plus your background is really quite nice.
    Mobius 9 - Yours is one of my favorites this time around, i like the design of the creature combining snakelike qualities with some alien and dragon like touches. This would've worked for the "canopy grazer" COW too.
    dwinbotp - Your root hound is a unique blend of plant and monster. The teeth becoming like roots, and the flowers on it's back give it a surreal feeling. Your running elf dude is well done too, particularly good knee.
    Mr. Jack - I checked out some of the other creatures you've made. All I can say is WOW.. the screecher here is just another example of how good you are at creating gnarly beasts. I think perhaps the reason you tend to run with your first idea is the same reason you don't have to lay out perspective lines when you draw - because you can see it in 3 dimensions before you even begin.
    AT Anderson - Your moss lion feels huge and ominous, almost like a dinosaur because you place the viewpoint low, and grey out your colors as it recedes. I think Battle Cat would shit a brick upon seeing him.
    Crustibian - Nice backstory, weird and morbid -- but the part about giving birth 13 times and the final birth being most diffiicult has mythic resonance. I think if you start with storytelling, and build your creatures from there you may open up a whole new world of ideas.
    Verehin - I think I had a nightmare about your creature this weekend, it's superbly disturbing. A true venereal horror. The strange anatomy and upside down / sideways twists, contrasted against that soothing background make it all the more unsettling and real. I was transfixed in it's gaze.
    Fast Art - Very well rendered, frightening beast. The environment is especially well done.
    Dulcahn - That's a scary chameleon if I ever saw one. You don't see many dragon sized lizards with the chameleon legs and eyes, but maybe there should be.
    Nick Trip - The feeling of this monster rushing at me is very potent. I think you're right about my background tilting up, it is confusing.
    Mike Burns - Cool, I like the way that turned out. Adding the dog and broken stuff helps communicate the creature's intent better. Reminds me of my siamese cat.
    Darkly - I like that impressionistic background you added. The creatures feel very predatory, and having them hunt by olfactory sense alone is a unique concept.
    Golden Serpent - There's something really balanced and sinuous about the marks and shapes to comprise your creature this time. I don't know if that comes from it starting as an actual physical drawing or not. It has an almost oriental, decorative feel to it, which seperates it stylewise from your last two, but it still has that completeness of intent the others had. Plus I really enjoy that this is another solitary and somewhat hostile, female. The Ovipositor proboscis coming out the rear reinforces it's expendable and dominant relationship over the males.
    Gentleman Crow- I really enjoyed the story that accompanied your Barkskin Stalker, I could picture a discovery channel special about him. He has very regal pose as though he has total claim to his territory.
    jsn - Cool to see a more abstact, loose, and impulsive approach to this. Looks like it was fun to draw.
    blkcelebration - So it eats their wings off? Yeesh.. that's horrible, but a solid idea. The bright colors on such a vicious creature are a clever juxtaposition.
    Izer - I liked the various stages of this, had a nice ornamental feel. You may want to try saving the final as different file type, looks like your gif? lost a little in the export.
    Alive - I'd like to see a set of stickers with your beasts on them, I think kids would love 'em. The repetition of the 3 circles with rectangular slots is a nice motif.
    The Searle - I'm glad you contribute to this just because your style is so different from everyone else's. It's more playful and colorful with an emphasis on texture.
    Lege1 - well in spite of any perspective issues you had going on, there's a lot that works really well in yours, the shapes desaturating as they recede, and the unique anatomy of the creature overall. The texture overlay gets a bit distracting in some areas for me.
    Mike D - I see some alien, some dinosaur and even a little giraffe going on there. Nicely rendered. There's some symmetry issues and the cast shadow seems to contradict your light source, but a mean lil bastard none the less.
    Scorge - Awesome, so glad you got this in. When you were posting your wips I was wondering what all the extra limbs were for, and the bunnies were a brilliant touch. The green to purple exo-shell on him is so nicely done, and his face is freaky-scary. The background coloring is a bit odd for me, but the ground texture is working, it recedes well.
    Yoitsi - the fourth limb evolving into that fin is a very cool concept, nicely drawn piece.
    JR Barker - That's a big furry fissk you've got there. I like the proportions, big paws, long ears. The back legs look a bit out of perspective with the rest.
    and n1va - you should've entered that, it's a great piece and it fits the description. I like the animated gif WIP too, cool.

Updates and new work:
    www.stevesomersart.blogspot.com

CA Sketchbook:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=175919

Available for freelance

34. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Steve Somers For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jerik got my vote, though I too wish we could do the -no doubt complicated- multivote thing they do in CHOW as I really like quite a few of these. Most notably: Yoitisi, Golden Serpent, Darkly & Mr. Jack, Jrbarker, Lander, lkjhgfdsa & Mobius9.
    Thanks for the Crit's peoples.

Please check out today's character.
    www.365characters.net
    Thank You

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the C&C Nicktrip and Steve Somers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote went to Ironhead. Really liked your take on it, and a nice rendering as well.

Fast Art, Verenin, and Mr--Jack. Beautifully painted!

Kimiliatch-Liked your concept. Would have liked to have seen more about the creature though.

Big up to all who participated.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cosmicbeanbag For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was hard. There were so many great entries!

I'd like to vote for Mr. Jack's Viridian Skreecher~ I thought the design was well executed and it fit the prompt of "lean, green and mean" well enough to communicate it with just itself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm very sorry, I voted and didn't comment - Been a bit snowed under lately and nearly missed the voting entirely lol

I voted for ironhead, cos I loved the simplicity of design and the execution. Your sundew-esque plant captured me from the first time I saw it, and I still like looking at it

41. The Following User Says Thank You to AhkNemet For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 1