Team Chow II :: VOTING :: Good and Evil - Page 4

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Team Chow II Poll! Woooot!

Voters
324. You may not vote on this poll
  • Team Chow II :: VOTING :: Good and Evil

57 17.59%

6 1.85%

14 4.32%

21 6.48%

13 4.01%

59 18.21%

8 2.47%

12 3.70%

198 61.11%

10 3.09%

22 6.79%

26 8.02%

8 2.47%

9 2.78%

8 2.47%

10 3.09%
  • Team Obsidian (no thumbnail)

6 1.85%

29 8.95%

214 66.05%

10 3.09%

33 10.19%

59 18.21%

9 2.78%

10 3.09%

20 6.17%

16 4.94%

9 2.78%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, if it makes ya feel any better I'm 1/3 of the way through a fairly hefty crit myself (though perhaps not as thorough as yours I'll admit). I want to give each team my full attention so it might be a while though.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Marco Mazzoni For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    same here actually
    just got side tracked with all the dragon con festivities hahah

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trevor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've started writing up some comments too but been busy with work. I also need to vote! Will try and get something up soon.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blackcherry For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok here we go with Critique Part 1. Wanted to at least get part of it up.. if only to force me to write the rest of it :

Team Steam Boat
    I really liked your team's entries.. thought they had a lot of style and class. If I hadn't made a choice to only vote for one team during this competition, you guys probably would have got my vote as well.

The Light/Dark Human Brawler are my favorite of this matchup. They both have a ton of weight and personality, and enough shared design elements that you can tell it's the same person while still making them their own unique character.

The Light/Dark Elf Brawler are also cool, though they lack a bit in the personality of the human. Part of that might be in hiding the entire face of the dark elf (though I dig the helmet design). Her mule kick technique sounds awesome and you did a good job of implying the power in her legs.

A few gripes: why choose Brawler for the class of both characters? It seemed like you could have taken the opportunity to experiment further with another class while still keeping them in the same world. Is there a reason for her roll of hair in both the light/dark version, beyond an aesthetic choice? It seems like having a big hair log for opponents to grab onto would be more of a hindrance than anything. Also, since when did elves have hooves?

Team Daemonic Squirrels
    It's cool that you said you learned a lot and had fun with the contest. That being said, all of the pieces feel like they are nowhere near finished, regardless of any stylistic treatment you guys were going for. Just for example: very obvious pencil lines, with colors bleeding into each other on the Drawven Minstrel. There was no attempt to color his horn and belt.. they're the exact same flat green as his pants. That's the sort of detail that shouldn't take more than a couple of seconds to address. Also, there's a heavy amount of JPEG compression in your finals which doesn't help matters. Still though, I think there are a few promising design choices, especially in the corsair. The proportions are working fairly well on her as well. Mostly it just seems like you guys need to spend more time looking at what really makes a piece presentable and practice your lighting, rendering, composition and color.

Team Doomsday Dream Clan
    It was my understanding that each set of portraits was supposed to be the same character, just an evil/light version. But here it looks like you've created two entirely different characters for each. Ignoring that fact, however, there's definitely some interesting things going on here.

Elven Archers: The shin guards are inspired, especially on Arthane. He also has some nice asymmetry going on in his design. I'm not a fan of the turquoise color on some of his outfit, but that's just a matter of personal taste. Fares feels a bit more generic to me as a characters, though I really like the horn elements on the front of his crossbow.

Spellcasters: Lorain has some cool design elements going .. I like some of the almost middle eastern fabrics he's using, as well as the design of his headdress. The green tiger stiped fringe on his boots seems like a bit much though. With Delamar, I have no idea what he's doing in this pose at all. Is he floating? Standing on his tip toes? Some shadowing might have helped, but he honestly just looks awkward and uncomfortable. The sharp toe knives are kind of cool. One personal gripe: the pentagram/star pattern for evil villains is way too played out, and was getting old and overused in the early 1990s. Try to dig a little deeper to find symbols you can use to convey his evil nature.

The Omen Twins: Sorry, but while these two got a quick chuckle out of me, they just strike me as bad cupid knockoffs. And the fact that you can google "angry baby" and the first image that appears is that rather famous meme pic that you obviously used for ref almost verbatim... these just feel last minute and thrown together. Also they really don't seem to fit in the same world as the other 4 characters at all.

Team Chow II :: VOTING :: Good and Evil

A few overall thoughts: to me, the pencils are much stronger than the final pieces. The lighting in most of the pieces feels flat & confusing (coming from a lot of strange directions simultaneously: see Lorian for a specific example).

Team Interglacial Chlamydia
    Your first 4 pieces have some strong elements working for them, and I can also believe that they exist in the same sort of tropical/coastal world.

Haldis: The design of Good Haldis feels a bit bland to me.. the patterns you've chosen are pretty minimal, and are his boots supposed to be metal or reflective cloth? The feel a bit wobbly and confusing to me. The orange glowy patterns in his torso could have possibly benefited from some assymetry. I hate to say it, but he feels in some ways a bit sci-fiish with even a touch of Star Wars. That being said, he does feel powerful and confident and the idea that he's a demigod is at least partially conveyed to me without having to read the text. Evil Haldis looks pretty brutal and mean. Again, there's a bit of sci-fi feeling for me with the glowing elements. Also since this is a character competition, I would have liked to have seen less of him obscured in shadow. It's hard to tell what's going on in his lower half.

Dialda: I really dig the weapons on both of these. The anchor on Good Dialda is awesome and the Bloodwave is just plain brutal. I also like some of the seashell elements on both of them, and the hair styling for the Evil Dialda. Both of them look like they're at home by the water. I think these two are my favorite and have the strongest character out of the batch.

Gaius: Sorry, but these look like they belong to entirely different world altogether. They're completely separate stylistically from the rest of the group and while the technique used in their creation is interesting, it doesn't really seem to benefit the group since it takes away from a feeling of cohesiveness. Also there's a few shape differences, but beyond that the design choices are so similar between good and evil that I think it misses the mark.

Final thoughts: Spend more time communicating and collaborating so you end up with a group that really fits together entirely, rather than only being 2/3 of the way there.

Team Brotherhood of Heel
    There's something about the storybook feel of these characters that really appeals to me. I actually like looking at these quite a bit. They rendering is pretty flat, but that seems intentional and all of these pieces feel "finished" to my eye. My main beef is that there doesn't seem to be a ton of thought put into the design as much as there is in the illustration. All 4 characters seem like well-illustrated versions of characters we've seen many times before. Friendly/Vicious Ent crack me up, in a good way. Again, if I hadn't decided to only use one vote for the competition, I might have put on a vote onto your team as well for sheer charm.

Team Birthday
    Wow, the two elves are gorgeous. The Good Elf feels fairly typical in design, but is still beautifully rendered. And I absolutely love the plant/insect elements in the Evil Elf. Really I think her design is fantastic. Also, this is one case where I think keeping the same pose for both pieces works in your favor, because it allowed you to go all out on the design of the Evil Elf and we can still recognize it as the same character.
    Elf

Not as big of a fan of the goblins.. there are parts that are extremely well rendered and other parts that just feel flat and noisy with texture. I also feel that they're borrowing a lot of design elements from the LotR movies. They're still good, but they don't impact me as much as the two elves do.

Final thoughts: Nice, cohesive final presentation. Your team did a good job of making all 4 characters feel unified. Another team that might have got my vote if I were handing out multiple ones.

Random Team 1
    Fairy Spellcaster: Other than the fact that one is frowning, I would have no idea which is the evil character and which is the good one. Both characters are pretty typical and the anime/manga-inspired eyes don't fit stylistically with any of the other characters in this group. If you're going to make the cut of the clothes basic, I'd suggestion putting more time/energy into the patterning and ornamentation on them. And also playing with more ways to incorporate some assymetry.

Werbear Warrior: Similar gripes about this one, though hes a little more interesting. 100% symmetrical design on both Good and Evil Werbears. I can definitely tell who's supposed to be good and who's supposed to be evil.. the poses and color schemes are helping convey that. Well, that and the dripping, bloody tomahawks on the evil one

Human Ranger: It looks like the Good Ranger is stabbing himself in the foot. Very little attention paid to material breakup in his clothing.. and a lot of belts-and-straps-for-belts-and-straps-sake design. His outfit feels a bit like something slapped together for a Ren Fair... sorry. The Evil Ranger has a lot of flat blacks going on that are obscuring any sort of design. He looks suitably evil though. I'm trying to understand how those skull sticks are attached to him.

Orc Bard: I like the idea of an orc bard, at least it's straying from convetnion a little bit. The bright pink and yellow patterns feel kind of arbitrary to me, and very distracting within the context of the whole piece. His bladed flute is kind of an interesting weapon. He looks calm and peaceful. Both characters, once again, have incredibly symmetrical designs, aside from the sash on the Good Orc. I don't care for the bright jewels in the Evil Orc's leg armor at all.. they really pull my eye downward and away from his face, which seems like it should be the focus. Remember that composition rules apply within character designs as well, not just for the whole image. Also, is that war paint on his face, or a cut-out cloth mask? It's difficult to read.

Overall thoughts: Using Native American / Tribal design choices to convey evil feels kind of dated and tacky to me. Most of these characters feel like they strolled out ofa Renaissance Fair or out of a 1st-time D&D player's character sheet. Isn't there a way that could have been twisted around a bit? Pretty bland overall. Also, some of the pieces don't look finished.. a lot of lines still showing through and blotchy/flat coloring.

Team Coco Meowza
    Siman: Evil Siman doesn't actually feel particularly evil to me. If she was standalone, I'd probably assume she was one of the good guys. Still, though, I like her overall design. Her jewelry is pretty cool and I dig the African motif in all of these characters. Helps set them apart from the rest of the pack. The zebra pattern from the legs being reflected in the mohawk is a nice touch as well. The Good Siman is nice as well, I like her hair twists. The design between Good & Evil is very similar though.. it's mostly just a few color/pattern differences. Some exploration into more ways to separate them visually while still showing them as the same base character would have really paid off, I think.

Renomek: I dig the ornamentation and weapons on both versions. The arm guard and patterning on the Evil one in particular is cool. A small gripe, but the fact that each chain has the exact same broken link at the end kind of bugs me. I can't help but think that at least of those would have fallen out as he's running. The flat, front-on view of his face in both pieces feels like a missed opportunity. Would have been more interesting to see his head in 3/4 view.

Amod: The Evil Amod feels pretty bland when grouped with the rest of the characters.. especially since Evil is usually more fun I'd say out of the 6 characters, these two are the ones that grab my attention the least (the the Good version being slightly more interesting).

Overall thoughts: The graphical breakup works well in all of these designs, and they definitely feel cohesive. Still, though, I can't help but think what they would like like rendered up, rather than with the flat color treatment they've been given.

Dekal
    Evil Goblin Assassin: It's a shame you guys ran into time constraints, because this guy is pretty cool! His weapon is awesome... wish your team could have made it to poll. Better luck next time.

Studio Moinoi
    Alright, let me stop drooling for a minute. You guys must already know, these illustrations are beautiful and you really put your talents together into one insane collaborative unit. Not to mention their, uh... inspiring names Honestly I could talk about all the positive points of these for a while, so I hope you'll forgive that I'm mostly going to focus on the few issues about them that stand out to me.

Ynnub Iruy: The sprits in both of these pieces are breathtaking and a joy to look at but the dryads themselves, which are actually the character focus, aren't much more than a naked lady. Not that I'm complaining. And even though their simplicity serves as a nice contrast to the spirits, it still would have been interesting to see more design put effort into the dryads.

Raeb Odep: Really can't say much about either of these.. I really dig both of them. Especially the evil one! But the Good Raeb Odep is beautiful too. The one thing that bothers me about that one is the kid on the right.. his face seems more like a grown-up and the light just feels strange on him.

Regit Atohs: The cropping is a shame on the Good version, because the full piece really sings. But chopping off his mount like that really hurts the presentation image. I dig the material breakup in his pants (...) The Evil version is just awesome. No complaints.

Yllana Depar: Good version is absolutely awesome... have no complaints (except maybe the perspective on the horns of her headdress feel a little off). With the Evil version, the illustration itself is beautiful but I think her costume design itself could have been explored further. The flower petals and headdress are a great touch, but the rest of it feels a little too much like a typical goth-y/dominatrix costume.

Minor complains aside, you guys absolutely got my vote. I'm impressed by / jealous of every one of these.

Team McFly
    With no descriptions, I'm just going to be guessing what these characters are supposed to be.

Elf(?)/Goblin(?) Shaman: Both characters feel similar to me... with the Evil one just having a few skulls, a pentagram (again, overused) and a scowl to set her apart. The pose helps, but I think the differences could have been pushed much further. Also, I'm not sure exactly what's going on with the Good one's weapon. Are those pieces of glass or rock embedded in there?

Boar Warrior Dude (?): For some reason both of these guys feel like He-Man characters to me. Whether that's good or bad, I'm not sure The background of the Good version feels unfinished. I like the helmet/shoulderguard/leaf combo on the Evil one. Again, this feels a bit unfinished especially in the arm/axe area.

Monkey Orc Dude(?): These two are by far the strongest of the bunch. Nice use of asymmetry on both of them, and their facial expressions are great. Also the colors feel harmonious to me and the different materials and patterns are interesting without being distracting. For me, the crazy proportions on the limbs are working too. Also: bonus points for the angry skull-dog on the loin cloth.. I keep looking at that and cracking up.

Final thoughts: I think more collaboration might have helped you. Since it's a team exercise, you can really take advantage of each member's strengths to put together a more accomplished whole. For instance, if one member has stronger painting/rendering skills, maybe they can help polish everything off while the whole team collaborates on the actual designs.

_____

That's all the typing I can do for now, I'll work on the rest later!

9. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Twitchfinger For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    wOOOOOWWW THANKS CKLamb AND Twitchfinger FOR THE AWESOME CRITS!!!!!!!! GO TEAM!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crit twitchfinger, yeah I used that as a ref for the evil baby. I definitely had to use a reference as I'd never drawn babies before. We made a tactical decision to include them for humor and uniqueness sake. Also I felt since this was a gaming character design we wanted to show a character development concept at the initial stage of the game.

Dalamar was definitely a floater, the position he was in was very difficult for me to give him an environment.

You're very right about our story, it was in all cases 2 separate characters. However, as gaming characters they would be played as the good and evil version of the same class. I think we managed to tie the story together.

Congrats on your entry btw, you guys did great. Critiquing your work from our perspective doesn't make sense. Cheers!

Niva's Links: Sketchbook | Eternal Seven Website
    Doomsday Dream Clan Artists: Clanlord | Headhunter
    Team CHOW III: Doomsday Dream Clan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like I hit about the same stopping point as Adrian, so I might as well post what I have as well. We probably sound like we're repeating each other at points and that's because the Howling Loveboys (-Mr.Delicious) looked at these all together a few times and discussed each entry.

General crit/advise first. I noticed a few entries were inconsistant with themselves bringing the entire entry down. The most important thing for these team challenges is to be on the same page with the rest of your mates. If you don't have the benefit of working directly with them, pm them or set up an email thread in the very beginning and stay in contact with them, daily if possible. Don't be afraid to give serious crits to keep eachother on track and on the same project. Yeah, this is all for fun, but if you seriously want to improve and get paid to do your art, you need to learn how to work with other people.

Team Steam Boat - These are fantastic entries. The color scheme, level of detail and presentation really do a great job of tieing them all together. I do think that the elves would be better suited as a different class though. There just isn't enough brutishness to them to read as a fantasy pitfighter. If they were sweatier and beefed up a bit it might work, but honestly I think it would have been a much stronger entry if they were rouges/assassins instead.

Daemonic Squirrels - To be perfectly honest these are difficult to read. The backgrounds have more contrast and opacity than the characters which creates some strange space issues. The characters themselves have some strange design and color choices that don't feel coherent, the Dwarved Dirge and the Orc Witchdoctorbeing standing out the most in this regard. The orc Shaman and Elf Valkyrie seem more succesfull, but for all of the pieces I would highly recomend spending more time working on cleaning up your values in b&w and don't even worry about color for now.

Doomsday dream clan - There's really no easy way to say this, the cherubs just do not fit with the rest of this entry. The archers and the spellcasters are dark and gritty with fairly intricate designs that are consistent with eachother, but the cherub designs are simple and whimsical, not a bad thing, but it seems like they were created without input from the rest of the team. All of the set pieces feel well thought out and do help the overall presentation. I would suggest thinking a little more about the character's pose before pushing to the full render. Specifically, why would the human spellcasters be lighter on thier feet than the elves? Over all it looks like you guys really pushed yourselves on this challenge, I hope you'll do the same on the next one too.

Interclacial Chlamydia - There are some great things going on with the designs and compositions here. For the demigod, the face on both are very nicely done, but it seems to fall apart a bit when you get to the legs. The good one just needs some tightening up of the anatomy while the evil version would benefit greatly from just planting that front foot on the ground instead of just the heel. The sea elf is quite unique, and the only real thing holding it back is some anatomy issues, again mainly the legs and feet, although I'd take a look at the ribs/seratus area as well.*edit* I just noticed that Gaius was supposed to be a part of this entry. While this is an interesting approach for a character, it really does not fit with rest of the team at all.

Brotherhood of Heel - There's something terrifying and awesome about these, hahaha. Since you guys seem to be going for a more twisted cartoon look, I would suggest playing around with textures, patterns or different materials underneath your lines. This could give you a little more depth while still keeping that animated feel. Oh, and I would watch the proportion of that good witch, even stylized, those legs feet seem a bit small and unstable for the upper half and it makes it look a little too different than the evil version.

Team Birthday - I have to start by pointing out how awesome the sketches were in you thread. The elves turned out great. I could nit pick and say the anatomy gets a little akward on the hands (for both) and that they seem far too different to be the same character, but really, these are solid pieces. It does seem that a lot of the energy and design got lost and flattened out in the heavy texturing on the orcs though. The biggest problem here is that the textures just don't wrap around the form. For example, the texture on the far shoulder of the good orc is just as strong and even as his front shoulder. It would also help if a little more care was taken in how the light falls on the form.

Random Team 1 - I assume by the name you guys were thrown together without really knowing eachother before this, which makes your group shots pretty impressive. I smell some good teamwork going on here Really the only crit I can give is to keep hitting those fundimentals. There's really more work ahead of you guys than I can help you with here, but I'll try to give a few specifics to keep you on the right track.
    For the fairy and the orc, don't worry about rendering anything untill you get those proportions right, and don't just focus on head to toe, make sure your arms/legs are the same size.
    The werebear (especially the good) has a decent weight to the overall form thanks to the render, but there's an even roundness to everything. Get confident with your anatomy so you can start making interesting forms and more dynamic poses.
    The human ranger has the start of some decent designs and the proportion isn't bad, but the vague, lumpy anatomy is holding it back. Start paying more attention to how muscles can lay next to, overlap and interact with eachother.

Coco Meowza - The unique take on fantasy with an African twist is surprizingly refreshing. The designs of the rhino warrior works pretty well, but they both feel a little flat, mostly due to the straight on shot of the face. A 3/4 view would be much more interesting here. The shape and pattern on the dark warrior's armor should wrap around the arm, not just sit on top of it. The arms and head on the socerers seem a bit over sized and the waist on the ranger (mostly the dark) seems akwardly thin. I would also vary up the poses a bit. The dark sorcerer and light ranger are very similar.

Studio Moinoi - ....................fuck. Almost every piece fills me with a sort of euphoric rage. It's a shame about the last minute croping, but you knew that. I must say though, that as much as I like your good Pedo Bear, that kid sneaking up behind him looks a little off. His proportions don't quite match up with the other kids and the light on his face is almost as chalky as the ogre. Really, that's the best I could come up with. My only other crit is that you should have posted more (and sooner) in your sketch thread. We could have had such a beautiful rivalry

13. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Marco Mazzoni For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by n1va View Post
    Thanks for the crit twitchfinger, yeah I used that as a ref for the evil baby. I definitely had to use a reference as I'd never drawn babies before. We made a tactical decision to include them for humor and uniqueness sake. Also I felt since this was a gaming character design we wanted to show a character development concept at the initial stage of the game.
    Totally understand.. babies can be really difficult to draw and get right. And there's nothing at all wrong with using reference. I guess my main point is to try and analyze and translate your reference to serve your drawing, rather than having your drawing serve the photo, if that makes sense. Also maybe dig deeper for reference that is less instantly recognizable.

Quote Originally Posted by n1va View Post
    Congrats on your entry btw, you guys did great. Critiquing your work from our perspective doesn't make sense. Cheers!
    Hey, no one's above critique You should feel free to point out anything that you think could be improved. Trying to pick out what feels off in someone else's work can be a valuable learning tool as well and there's plenty of issues in my own work so I'm always looking for ways to improve.

Last edited by Twitchfinger; September 10th, 2009 at 01:37 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Twitchfinger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some comments I've been writing on the different Teams. I'm halfway through so this is the first half! Hopefully I'll get the rest in tomorrow if I have time, so I'm sorry if I haven't got your team there yet.

Also, I don't mean to be overly-critical about anyones work or designs, so if it comes out that way I apologise!

Team Steam Boat:
    First off thereís some great work in your sketchbook, even though itís not particularly long. I love the first post of fighter sketches! I think youíre work in progress and research was concise but focused and your final pieces are a great result of that. Also your styles work together very well so the fact both characters are by two different artists isnít obvious. The dark and light versions of both fighters are really well done, I love both. I also like the colour schemes and frames for finals. Great work

Favourite character: Either the Light Human Brawler or the Dark Elf Brawler.

Daemonic Squirrels:
    I find the colouring of the final characters rather washy and I think this deters from some very nice designs. I also donít think the frames compliment the pieces either. The line work for the characters is good and thereís a lot of nice details in each of the designs which I feel are not being set off successfully due to the final colours. The backgrounds are bolder colour-wise than the characters despite having less detail. If I sound overly critical I donít mean to be!

Looking through your sketchbook at the work there I can see the line work for your characters being shown much stronger. Thereís some really great sketches and design work with variations for different designs. The posts made on the last page of your sketchbook before your finals are a lot more striking than your submissions I think, thereís a really nice colour of the orc-mage and also the drawings are great.

Overall, it looks like you worked well together as a team and youíve produced some really nice pieces of work in your sketchbook. I think if youíre finals had been coloured to the standard of the orc-mage character they would be a lot bolder and striking.

Favourite character: From the finals I think it would have to be one of the variations of the elven character.

Doomsday Dream Clan:

Nice colours, design and presentation of your characters. Thereís good attention to detail and also the backgrounds work well. I like how all the light versions have a nature related background and the dark ones all seem to be in a sort of Ďhellí environment. I also like the symbols for the light and dark. The characters work suitably well as a group, though Iím not sure about the omen twins, but it does add an element of humour which I like.

After viewing your sketchbook I think you all collaborated well as a team and itís great to see how your designs progressed.

One thing I noticed which I think could be altered (and this is nit-picking) is the green glow around the dark omen twinís pitch fork and the blue glow around the light ones halo. The reason I say this is because your dark spellcaster has blue and the light one has green therefore to me it would make sense to have them match rather than alternate.

Favourite character: Dark elf or Light Spellcaster. Both are interesting designs with some nice details.

Interglacial Chlamydia:
    Interesting team name, lol. Nice set of character designs, tied together with an interesting theme. I think as a set the look of the healer doesnít quite fit in with the other two, this may be down to the different colouring style more than anything else. Also I feel thereís not enough of a visual difference, mainly in colour, between both versions of the healer character though the overall design concept is great and both pieces stand well on their own.

The pose of the good version of Haldis, who I assume is floating, seems a bit strange. Iím not sure, but something about it doesnít make his floating look natural to me. Also I feel he should have been positioned more central.

Good team collaboration and attention to supporting detail with some nice sketch work in the team thread!

Favourite character: Character-wise it would have to be the healer, for the interesting concept and design. For the final piece though it would be the Dark sea elf.

Brotherhood of Heel:
    I like the traditional watercolour look of your final pieces, though Iím not too fond of the surrounding black frame. Not sure if both characters fit together as a set, the witch design seems more realistic than the ent character, though I can see how theyíd work together in the overall theme.

Your sketchbook shows some good WIP of your character designs though thereís not much interaction between you both as a team.

Favourite character: Vicious Ent

Team Birthday:
    Cute logo and great overall presentation! I like the museum portrait feel with the description underneath, I also like the style and feel to your pieces and the attention to detail in each one. Your sketchbook has some really awesome sketches and WIP shots of your designs even though itís only a page long. I like the textural look to the goblins skin, and I think the skin and different elements of each design have all been painted very well.

Criticisms? Iím not sure, Iíd have to be really picky I think because nothing jumps out at me. I think possibly the left hand in both elves could do with tweaking? but thatís about it. Great work!

Favourite character: Dark Elf! Love the colours and design. The mask is really cool!

Random Team 1:
    First off I think the look and feel of all the pieces is a bit of a mixture. There doesnít seem to be a common theme or style that stands out to link them all visually. The good version group work better as a set than the dark version to me. However, each character individually can be matched to its alter ego, the one thatís most varied is the Orc. I think the dark versionís boots need to be altered as theyíre a little sci-fi looking, I think it might be due to the blue light and this de-tracts from the tribal feel to the character.

I like the summer/winter contrast between the two versions, though I donít feel that all the dark versions fit the winter environment with their clothing, not sure if thatís really a huge issue. The characters themselves also differ somewhat in appearance more down to the style of drawing. I find the fairy has an anime feel to it whereas the others are heading more towards realism.

Good sketchbook with lots of thought gone into your work. You seem to have worked well as a group with good team communication which is always good and what this whole thing is about. Thereís also some nice thumbnail designs for character versions and costumes.

Favourite character: Werebear Warrior!

Coco Meowza:
    I like the whole African tribal feel to all your pieces, its different and makes for a cool theme! I donít like the frames around the finals though, I donít think it sets them off very well. I also like the contrast created between both versions mostly with the use of colour as well as the alterations in the characters themselves, while still keeping them easily recogniseable.

Nice sketchbook, thereís some really cute funny drawings on the first page, hehe! Thereís also really good design exploration, sketches and WIP shots too. Looks like you made a good team!

Criticisms...some of the poses look a bit off/unnatural, particularly in the ranger character. Aside from that I think youíve made a really good effort in tackling anatomy and proportions in your designs!

Favourite character: Siman, dark sorcerer. I like the animal-human mix with the African-tribal looks, itís very original. Also the design is great. I like her face and her hairstyle and piercings are cool.

Studio Moinoi:
    WOW! I think I should just leave my comments all down to that one word to be honest. Awesome pieces, all of them! My only criticism is that some had to be cropped! I love all the character designs and the presentation of the whole project. I wish there was more in your sketchbook though! Oh and great cookie designs also! Haha! Love it!

Favourite character: Dryad Druid. The piece is fantastic! Thereís soo much detail and the lighting and atmosphere to it is fantastic! All the designs are awesome though.

Team McFly:
    Your finals seem to be in varying degrees of completion. I think they could all do with a bit more work, but the first two pieces posted look to be the most complete. The second character needs more defining and the third could do with backgrounds for both versions. They donít seem to be tied together except for the tribal related costumes, I think related backgrounds for the good and evil versions and some written information could have helped to secure this.

I like the tribal feel to your designs. Your sketchbook has good research and sketches exploring this and is shows in the costume designs of your characters. I think if the animal pieces were more defined and a background was added to the third character pieces the final result would be a lot stronger. Character descriptions would also be a good addition to provide more information on your designs which is also important.

Team Chonyid Bardo:
    A good set of characters submitted. I like the winter theme of them all and theyíre well presented. I think the art styles of the characters are a bit varied with some looking more realistic than others, but I think they link together quite well despite this. One thing Iím not sure about is the dinosaur in the last piece...I think maybe a dragon or something more along those lines would have been better.

Good sketchbook, lots of work and research going on and lots of interaction as a team. It seems like everyone did their fair share of the work.

Favourite character: The Dark King. I really like the style of the design, plus he has a cool red eye!

---------------
    I know its been said already but I think it would be cool if a lot more people would give reasons for their votes and give some constructive criticism to the other teams in this challenge as a lot of hard work has gone into it.

17. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to blackcherry For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

um....WOW

so much critiquing going on! awesome to see!!
    in the interest of not boring anyone i wont bother posting the crits as marco and adrian have kind of said pretty much everything
    and like marco said we have all looked at these together a few times (its easy when you see each other over 40 hrs a week haha)
    although
    if either one of them wants to skip out on the last half of the crits il write them up
    just throwin it out there

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, poll is closed!

Congrats to the Howling Loveboys!

Expect a PM from me in the near future. :]

Thanks to everyone else who participated!

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you everyone! This competition was way too much fun. Our next step is to form a band and take this show on the road.

Team Chow II :: VOTING :: Good and Evil

slightly larger version HERE for anyone awesome enough to handle it...

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marco Mazzoni For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this was so much fun people
    i think we all grew as artists quite a bit!
    but this is not the end for the howling loveboys NO!
    we have plans.....
    ......BIG plans

Attached Images Attached Images  

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trevor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats dudes! We'll kick your ass next time!

And great work everyone, this was tons of fun!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i have a better idea
    just join the loveboys army and we can rule together! hahahah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much everyone, this contest was inspiring as hell and it was an unhealthy amount of fun working with these guys. It was great to see so much collaboration all across the board.

And algenpfleger: yessss, join us! We need to love, not fight! You can be a loveboys too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So is it just me or is anyone else waiting for the...

HowlingLoveboys- "yessss, join us! we can rule together!" Algenpfleger... we are your father...

Noooooooooooo

hehe

great work everyone this was awesome!
    Congrats Loveboys! nice work setting the bar so high you guys rock!
    I can't wait for the next round!

WARNING!!!!!
    WAAAAAY WAAAAAY way out of Date!

My Sketch Book
    TEAM CHOW I
    TEAM CHOW III
    I'm always trying to improve.
    Any help, encouragement, crits,
    or comments are greatly appreciated!
    Please let me know what you think

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CONGRATULATIONS BOYS!!!!!! HAHAHA GO GET THEM DOGS! GOOO GO GOO HOWLING LOVE-BOYS!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. - greetings http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abQgw...eature=related

Last edited by clanlord; September 14th, 2009 at 01:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    guess what i got for the loveboys victory?
    carpal tunnel AND tendonitis in BOTH hands!!!!!
    hooraaayyyyyyyyy
    algenpfleger - how did you deal with that?
    i just got some shots in my hands and now i have braces on both
    what did you do to pass the time?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Trevor: That seriously sucks man Same story here btw, it's why I had to cop out of this one. Watching tons of tv and movies on my computer was about all I could do, even holding a book killed me. Take tons of rest (frustrating as it may be) and hope your arms get well soo!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dammnnnn! lots of casualties in this round of chow. hope your tendonitises and carpal tunnels get better, yoi and trevor. :/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    So sorry to hear that Trevor :/ Sent you a pm!

But I won't join the pink side for now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    congrats to the howling loveboys

So were there any individual prizes awarded this time around? There was some mention about awarding best single char design, leadership etc? or was that within the winning team?

Had oodles of fun with this one, and learned a lot, thanks to all who took time to do crits. Hope i have time to do the next one too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats! ~

"Be either full-assed or no-assed. There is no half assed."

SSG SKETCHPOT/FLYING RADISHES/ OR JUST PLAIN AWESOME.
    KT | Reutte | Darkmoon |Asatira | AnthonyV

[CENTER]
    My Website
    ~ My Sketchbook ~ My Blog ~ My Twitter ~ My Deviantart ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't see anyone comment on this yet. Was it just me, or did anyone else think that it was harder to vote when you had to vote by the team logos instead of the actual pictures in the polls? Having to play match up when you go to vote is just annoying.

My baby's first photo blog: davidduck.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all congratulations to the winners,

and much more important, thank you very much for the detailed critiques, really.

Last edited by Quike Garcia; September 23rd, 2009 at 08:05 AM.
    気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, there will be individual prizes, which will be announced shortly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yaaaaaay!! Awesome CHOW that I wish I coulda been part of! Maybe next time.

Congratulations, Howling Loveboys! ...I love that name, but the animation was CRAZY!! @_@

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    TEAM CHOW II INDIVIDUAL PRIZE WINNERS:

Studio Monoi - Algenpfleger, Janaschi and Alexandr Pascenko: For leadership through inspiration, and all around awesome work. http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...1&postcount=12 Because this is an individual prize, you'll have to split it, but all three of you worked so flawlessly together.

Lake, from "the Real Atelier Team" for excellence, with this particular painting: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...7&d=1251792219

and

Jason Rainville, from Interglacial Chlamydia, for excellence, with this painting: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...2&d=1251744331

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Members who have read this thread: 7