Team Chow II :: VOTING :: Good and Evil - Page 3

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Team Chow II Poll! Woooot!

Voters
324. You may not vote on this poll
  • Team Chow II :: VOTING :: Good and Evil

57 17.59%

6 1.85%

14 4.32%

21 6.48%

13 4.01%

59 18.21%

8 2.47%

12 3.70%

198 61.11%

10 3.09%

22 6.79%

26 8.02%

8 2.47%

9 2.78%

8 2.47%

10 3.09%
  • Team Obsidian (no thumbnail)

6 1.85%

29 8.95%

214 66.05%

10 3.09%

33 10.19%

59 18.21%

9 2.78%

10 3.09%

20 6.17%

16 4.94%

9 2.78%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for Studio Moinoi, as their entry has everything you could ask for... EVERYTHING! I'm gonna get those pieces printed as cards and put them up on my desk

If I wouldn't have tried to just vote for one team, I would have definitely voted for the Loveboys (damn, 16 pieces, thats like 2 days for one picture) and the Thundercats, even though they couldn't make it to the finals... Of course, there were some other great teams as well.

I want to thank each and everyone of the participants for their work and inspiration. Special thanks to the lovely deastwen all the whole team for organizing this.
    THANK YOU

I hope there will be many more of these Team Chows to come. Also, I think having the number of characters to submit depend on the number of contestants per team is a good idea.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    can we do another one? .... when can i start?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing work here everyone!

Voted for the howling love boys. I subscribed to your thread right away and I've been looking several times a day. Its hard not to fall in love. You guys's sense of humour and art is fuckin awesome!

Thanks daestwen (and co?) for this great initiative. Im definetely joining in next time if I can get a team.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gerezon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am blown away by the effort and talent everyone put into this. It's great to work on a team!

I voted for a bunch: Loveboys, Moinoi, steamboat, baguette, birthday, amnesia

Really really impressed by everyone's sketchbooks too.

My favorite pictures are steamboats Evil Human Brawler and Loveboys Good Half-giant Brawler.

You guys all make me want to be a better artist, Thank you.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomCardin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Team Moinmoi.. damn incredible. Amazing. My hats off to you. I really hope you guys win this.

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted, tons of great character concepts!
    and im looking for a team for next one

My Sketchb00k regular updates
    -= i am looking for work =-
    DeviantArt . CGhub gallery . www.artofinca.com . Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to say thank you to everybody for this great work..

I voted for the teams that shocked me the most, Moinoi, Milk of Amnesia, The Howling Loveboys and Team Baguette. Thanks a lot to all of you, really.

See you in the next one, I hope

気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Quike Garcia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love you howling loveboys. Your WIP thread was amazing, especially those group pictures. I laughed so hard. And still your work rocks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I followed grandma with voting for everyone, for about the same reasons. Too much good mojo comin from this little game... I hope that these somehow become bimonthly.... (nudge nudge)

Just the colaborating is good experience.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Crazy Dude SRD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That was a great round guys. There is a lot of great stuff. Here are my thoughts.

Team Steam Boat I like how you guys handled the characters. Your color pallete match each other and it makes it easy to recognize the nature of the character. Kudos for the presentation. Love the painted-on-wood-feel

Daemonic Squirrels Good idea to use the background of the same area in a slightly different way in each of the characters to show the world. It really gives a warm vs cool, good vs evil feel. The characters are handled well. I can see by each character what it's thinking and what its personality could be.

Doomsday dream clan Great balance of opposites. The colors, gestures, weapons and everything else just works with each other. Well done.

Team Interglacial Chlamydia I just adore how Aldia is handled. The evil Aldia is sooo cool *saves image*. Dear God, I can't say much. I just keep looking and forget that I want to say something. Great concepts, excellent paintings. VOTED

Brotherhood of Heel I like the style you worked in. It really works together and they fit in one world. The evil gypsy just cracks me up xD.

Team Birthday Well... Happy Birthday!! xD The frame around the characters gives it a real artsy feeling. I really, really like how you handled everything. Colors, details and dear god....focal falloff. I want a copy of each and every one of them. Well done! VOTED

Super High Five Squad Too bad the other two bailed out. My deepest respect to you to still post what you have.

Coco Meowza Good use of animal skin to create a African feeling. It's something the characters share and ties them together. Good use of colors too. Good job

Studio Moinoi Wow...Do I need to say more? Jana, Alex, Hannes...I've always adored your work. Be it in the collabs you do or in the individual work. VOTED

Team McFly Those are some excellent new species. I've never seen them before and I really like them. I like how playfully you handled the characters. Great details, colors are appealing.

Team Chönyid bardo You guys had nothing else to do this summer right? I mean, 10 portraits? :o Yay for the snow. It really ties them together. I enjoy watching the characters.

Team White Rabbit The expression on the face of the good elf just cracked me up! I really like the details and design on your characters. What you see is what you get. Just the way I like it. VOTED

Team Fluffy Fledglings Although there is a difference in how the characters are painted it stays appealing. I think it's too bad they differ so much from each other in terms of the world they live in. I can't see if they live in the same world. Nevertheless still great to look at.

Team cobra yawn Great team name! xD Creatures are lovely. The human knights have a great traditional feel to them. I do miss it in the other four portraits. But they are handled well. Great colors and design.

Random Team 3 It's been a good decision to make them stand against each other to show they're opposites. Details and design are very enjoyable.

The Happy Little Trees You guys also had to much time right? xD You stayed true on a design and changed it to a good or evil characters. It clearly works. Good job.

Team Obsidian Seeing your characters makes me curious and I want to see more, which is a good thing. It's too bad I'm not able to see real visual difference in good and bad. The expression is there, but you could have gone further in terms of color and design. Don't worry though, it's a hard thing to learn and you're on the right track.

Milk of Amnesia Great design! I like how in each portrait the background compliments the character. Good use of the Asian culture. I like it.

Howling loveboys I'm gonna keep it short: Wow, what a paintings! :| (Great sense of color and design, a real eye catcher! ) VOTED.

Team Ken-Do-Pu-En-Ds I think you went to far away from each other as a team. The characters don't really seem to come from the same world, there is not much that ties them together. On another note, I like the use of colors.

Team Kyzulus The monk is done in a nice style. I like how you handled him. The High Elves don't share a lot, but that's good. I like the priestess. The Human/demon look sweet. Great design.

Team Baguette...is back. Each characters is handled with care. Design, color and unity is done great. VOTED

Dangerous Only Great, just great. I love every character. It's handled great. There is not much detail needed to deliver a message. Less is more. You guys understood that. Love Krushgroove btw. VOTED

Team Goon Squad The evil goblin is a bad ass m*otherf*cker. That's just great! The good goblin is the exact opposite. Nice contrast there The Tyrant has the same thing going on with the colors and mood.

Team The Real Atelier Well...lets start off with the team logo. IT CRACKED ME UP!! I lol'd for like 10 minutes non stop xD I keep up making the sounds in my head Okay...let's get serious now. Nice use of design and mood. Evil is evil and good is good and it shows (I almost voted because of the logo xD)

Team Tall, Grande & Venti I really like the design of the Lizardman. Good job with the mood of every character. It's working very well.

Team Supreme I like the design in the characters and the fact that you left some characters mysterious. That's really working.

Weeeelll...that is my 2 cents on every team.

I really enjoyed being part of this again and sign me up for Team ChOW III!

16. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to LostFayth For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would love to see the final results, but 90% of the pictures aren't showing up! Is the site a bit messed up? Because its happening everywhere else...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good job everyone!!

¡Que Viva El Concept Art Atelier!

[Website]

[Blog]

[ Sketchbook! (old) ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congratulations for the beautiful work! It really deserves more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by CavyWolfe View Post
    I would love to see the final results, but 90% of the pictures aren't showing up! Is the site a bit messed up? Because its happening everywhere else...
    Same here!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,271 Times in 737 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The attachments aren't showing up anywhere right now. Kind of frustrating. The impression I get is the MB thread in Finally Finished overloaded the system. I'm sure things will be back and running soon. If not, we'll look at extending the poll by a day or two.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for Team Interglacial Chlamydia...the characters are just SO original!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Irony??? seriously guys??

This is Team Chow. Its a competition.
    And just because the winners have amazing entries does NOT MEAN they cant learn anything or benefit from those videos and prizes. Its coming off as , 'lets not award the winners cause theyre wayyy too good' .

Its unfair.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Umm...I said it was funny, like tickle me Elmo funny, not ZOMG stop the UBER ELITZ FRUM TAKUN OVER! Winners are winners, they worked just as hard as any newbie team did, they just happen to have better results .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And, I completely agree, it's all based on the assumption that these teams are above advice, which no one is. So it's superficial irony at best. If I offended anyone, especially the fore-runners, I didn't mean to, maybe I should just censor my funny bone next time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no one said the elite teams couldn't benefit.

everyone here can benefit.

lets just enjoy all the entries.

"Be either full-assed or no-assed. There is no half assed."

SSG SKETCHPOT/FLYING RADISHES/ OR JUST PLAIN AWESOME.
    KT | Reutte | Darkmoon |Asatira | AnthonyV

[CENTER]
    My Website
    ~ My Sketchbook ~ My Blog ~ My Twitter ~ My Deviantart ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's right, nobody said that, but what I'll say is that the elite teams will arguably be in my less need than the worst teams given the prizes for this challenge. It was obvious looking at the rosters at the start of the challenge who would win this with ease. Perhaps the team with the least votes should win the top prize (and I'm not saying this because we're in the running for the least votes.) Also given this experience ca.org should perhaps consider different prizes for winners for such a challenge.

Can we please get some constructive critique for the Doomsday Dream Clan entry? Going into the final burning thread I thought we had a good entry. Everyone says nice things about it, but very few people voted for us. I'd like to know why our entry didn't appeal to more people or if we missed something hideously wrong.

For the people who did vote for us (even if you also voted for everyone else): I want to hug you all. We worked hard so those votes mean a lot to us.

Special thanks to Daestwen for running this challenge and answering a gazillion questions for us. I'm looking forward to the next one!

Niva's Links: Sketchbook | Eternal Seven Website
    Doomsday Dream Clan Artists: Clanlord | Headhunter
    Team CHOW III: Doomsday Dream Clan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rather than that I think in the future it might be interesting to have tiers or levels to compete on (like people who have already won a CHOW compete against other teams of CHOW winners--rough idea, has it's pros and cons.) . But that requires much organization and planning and no one gets paid to run these competitions.

That's a risk you take when you join this competition is that you will be competing against possibly some of your own idols who already have a decent resume of success.
    What it comes down to is what standards you vote on. I voted for three teams, 1 of the "elites", 1 of decent skill and ideas but could use some more development, and 1 team that has a lot to learn skill wise but had lots of creativity and fun with there designs.

That's my personal judgement.

MB offers many pro level classes (especially the streaming classes--like the freelancing one or the portfolio development one) as well as dvds for foundation painting or marks foundation download on shape and form.

everyone can benefit from the prizes. end of story.

[CENTER]
    My Website

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ugh can we please move the discussion about prizes and winners and whatnot to the appropriate Team Chow II: Feedback & Discussion Thread? Many of these points have been heard before and might have a place in there, but in here I feel they take away from the fact that:

Team Chow and every team that participated is awesome with lasers from outer space aliens attached cool! I think everyone, from top to bottom, learned tons from this experience not only on painting and drawing but also on collaborating and working in a team. Daestwen has added awesomeness for taking the time and effort to set it all up, keeping it running and answering tons of questions for a second time already

Thanks.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didn't know about the feedback thread-sorry bout that

[CENTER]
    My Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe we should get the ball rolling on some feedback and critiques. I'll try to take on each team, person by person (or character by character if the work is collaborated on). Give me a few and I'll have my first round of critiques ready. If you'd do the same for other teams, I'm sure we'll get a lot out of the extra advice and critiques.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to {CKL} For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, so I'll do an overall Team assessment and then some individual critique, here goes:

Team Steamboat

Great overall cohesiveness to your characters' look and feel, I really enjoyed that you incorporated a more renaissance/ baroque look to your costuming. A lot of entries, I feel, got way to off point on costuming, but you guys kept it high fantasy. As far as the rest of the brief, the portraits coupled together don't exactly come off as being the same character portrayed in two different ways, they feel more like 4 different characters, and the description brief only pushes them further apart. Also, the brief wanted some variety in both race and class, so having two sets of brawlers kind of was a downer, though very entertaining as a concept unto itself. Formating is a bit away from the 2:3 aspect ratio, and the images are pretty large compared to the example given. And, while I looked at your sketchbook as you chugged along, you forgot to link back on the final's entry.

Rich- I really enjoyed your concept sketches and development method in your team sketchbook, everything was very clear and easy to interpret. I will probably go out on a stretch here, but I am pretty sure your dark brawler is the most memorable character to come out of Team CHOW II (Though Moinoi's Dark Queen is a pretty close contender). The layering of materials and patterns, alongside the nuance given to small details (like the tattoos) are absolutely win. As far as the light brawler, I feel like he could have used just a little more love in the costuming department, I completely get the fact that he's stripped down and fights a good honest fight, but compared to his dark counterpart he just doesn't have that same vibrancy and memorability.

no_name_brand- I think of the two, your light brawler has more going on for it. The pose has a nice balance between being cocky and just plain being comfortable in your skin. The costume shapes really grab me, especially the mid-section where you've layered several different articles of clothing. If I were to suggest anything, it would be to use the teal highlight color and use it a bit in the head-wrap, right now that whole area is very very warm colored, and I'd take the knuckle-dusters off the hand on the hip, it looks a bit forced and like an afterthought. Now the dark brawler you created comes off a bit awkward in it's posing, the hooves don't seem to quite touch the ground and the gauntleted arm lacks the fluidity that the rest of the figure and the light brawler seem to have. The helmet design is pretty damn interesting, along with the color choices, but I'd say the design isn't quite as successful as the light brawler.

Whew...okay one down....a lot more to go, I'll see If I can get to the Daemonic Squirrels and the Doomsday Dream Clan by the end of tonight.

Last edited by {CKL}; September 5th, 2009 at 05:22 PM.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to {CKL} For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Daemonic Squirrels

So...I just went through your team sketchbook. From the beginning Rabbi Satan stated that this was more about learning to work within a team than trying to win the competition. I hope you guys learned a thing or two because you got off to a pretty rocky start. At the onset of the month, someone should have taken a clear leadership role and initiated a course of action that could be put into place immediately. I think what really hindered your team was that this didn't occur until about the 15th of August, which put you behind by two weeks. Also, things happen and we are often forced to put off things like CA activities in order to take care of life obligations, but there is no reason you shouldn't notify your teammates about what is going on and how long you might be away. I noticed several inconsistencies in attendance and a lack of informing others of what is going on, alongside spans of inactivity in actual production. That being said I do believe you were getting on the right track towards the end, unfortunately it was a little to late. Now, don't take this as being chided at, I say this as one colleague to another, in the hopes that the next time will be much different for you. On the topic of final entry format, I believe you met the format requirements, everything was posted at the recommended ratio and at the right size. However, there weren't any character descriptions...which is a bad thing I would suppose. Considering your team divided up the work I'll try to establish a critique based on what your role was.

Quike- From my understanding you did all the base line work and the majority of what would be the final character designs. Quite frankly this was the strongest point in the entries, your line work was very clean and well-developed and the character's themselves were interesting to look at and pick apart. By far my favorite is the elven valkyrie, she is both elegant and full of strength. The dwarves, on the other hand, could have used a little more attention. The expressions and stances are nice enough, I just feel like the skinny thing just wasn't sitting quite well with me, the anatomy could have really been played with a lot more.

Rabbi Satan- I know your original job was to just take care of the value/rendering of the characters, however as time progressed and Maeve's computer went down you took over the reins on color and format. So, to begin with, had you not taken over around the 15th of August and given this team some direction, there most definitely wouldn't have been a finished project. On your rendering and coloring, my suggestion would be to invest a lot more time into traditional studies, as it stands there is very little sense of depth and form, it feels almost arbitrary in some instances. Though, I do believe working with Quike's sketches was making it hard on you, because I felt that you didn't want to mess them up, so you didn't push to far into the rendering (we should be able to see the line work on the final render). And, on the color, I think you ran into the problem of using a colorize layer when the render itself wasn't quite there, so everything looks a bit washed out and overly simple. Like I said previously, traditional studies will work out these kinks, but it's going to take a lot of time and patience.

Maeve- Okay, so you were supposed to be in charge of coloring, but you had a computer go down. However, you did manage to fire off a few pieces in color before the end of the competition. And, I have to say, they were pretty darn nice. It's really unfortunate you could fulfill this role as you would have been able to improve upon the finals quite a bit. While the color could kind of get simplistic, the over all render really worked with Quike's line work in an appealing way. Given the fact that your computer went down, I think you could have stepped up to the plate and finished off the character descriptions, their absence is kind of a big thing on the final's thread. Even a quick 5 line description would have been beneficial.

Last edited by {CKL}; September 8th, 2009 at 10:58 AM.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to {CKL} For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh and one suggestion, especially those that voted but did not participate, instead of just saying who you voted for and why (which is usually pretty obvious, especially considering we can see who voted for who on the actual polls) and then ducking out, it would probably be more constructive to tell us who you didn't vote for and why, also.

Last edited by {CKL}; September 5th, 2009 at 11:02 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    free beer and party at my house in celebration : D
    my apartment might 404 on itself with the amount of traffic tho XD

I'll try and get some crits in soon too. I really think everyone did a fantastic job--it's evident that everyone pushed themselves really hard (including the teams who didn't make it to the end :< i really hope they post their work up anyway cuz a lot of group SB's had some real treasures in them).

A general crit--I see a lot of teams had good designs, but their was no narrative to their compositions. I'm guilty of it too. Stronger pieces display not only the characters role (or in this case, there "class"), but their personality. Are they a wimpy knight, or a hardcore-my-armor-is-covered-in-brains knight....etc. That should be conveyed in what your character is doing in the piece. I think the harder you strive to convey that, the more creative you become, and the more dynamic your overall piece will be.

I hope that helps some pplz : )

[CENTER]
    My Website

40. The Following User Says Thank You to hala For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm trying to finish up some work atm, but I've still got this on my brain, I read through Doomsday Dream Clan's sketchbook the other day, and I've got a critique sitting around in my head for them. Once this painting is finished up, I'll post up. It's been over 1.2k views since my last post, and only one person(thanks Hala) took the the time to add some critique....that's kind of disappointing.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to {CKL} For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6