My Little Dilema!!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My Little Dilema!!

Hello everyone.

I am studying a degree in illustration, and i am almost halfway through my final year. I have always wanted to be a concept artist for film and television, and went into this degree with the intention of doing so, but my lecturers wont let me learn how to become a production designer, they keep making me do editorial and advertising illustrations instead.

this is surprising, because at the beggining of this final year, i was set to do a storyboard project, which went extremely well, and the lecturers thought so too.

i was advised not to do design work, as it would lower my marks, but this means that if i do what they tell me, i will get a really good grade, but a career that i dont want, but if i go ahead and do some design work, i will have a portfolio that will be more likley to get me the job that i want, maybe in tv or film, but i will get bad marks as i was told.

this is frustrating as i have very good drawing and design skills, that i believe are not being properly noticed or appreciated.

i am a bit stuck as to what to do.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm no where near the end of the program i'm in, but i'd advise you to do what your instructors ask. you can do whatever you want for your portfolio, which is what employers will go on.

get your various assignments done, then do some design work, after class or whatever, show your extra stuff to your instructors and ask them what they think. get advice. i find that most teachers are willing to help all they can, especially if you're going above and beyond.

i realize that is probably not what you wanted to hear. i seriously advise against stepping outside the proverbial box here, give your instructors what they want, then do what you want. i'm repeating myself left and right here, but show your instructors the design stuff you do on your own time, i'm sure they'll be willing to work with you to make the most of your portfolio.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Malicious has a really good point. There is no stopping you from doing your own work in your own time.

Besides, when you get a job, you will be asked to draw very specific things, so you may as well show that you can adhere to someone elses guidlines.

.: I am a Middle Class Member :.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok, thanks.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.