Masonite Backing

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Masonite Backing

Hey all, I'm looking for a new clipboard type thing.

I've been lead to believe that masonite would make a great surface for me to perform my sketches over, but every lumbar yard and hardware store locally doesn't have the stuff..

So I've resorted to online vendors but still can't seem to find something worthwhile.

I'm open to other materials, but can someone suggest something(purchasable online) that they use to draw on?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Masonite

Does it have to be actual Masonite? Masonite is a brand name. It's like asking for Irish Spring instead of soap. If it doesn't have to be Masonite, you can go to Home Depot and get hard board in 2 feet by 4 feet sheets for around 5 bucks. They'll even cut it to size for you if that's too big. If you're looking for something bigger, then they sell the 8 foot sheets as well.

If you need actual Masonite, the only place I've seen it is in a Dick Blick store. If they don't have a store around you, I'm sure you can get it from their website. They also have the pre-made drawing boards with the clips already mounted to them.

Here's a link to their drawing supplies page (they also offer pre-cut hardboard panels):

http://www.dickblick.com/categories/drawingboards/

Thanks
    No it didn't have to be masonite, I was under the impression, after minor research, that masonite was the composite material, like particle board with a smooth finish.

Thanks for clearing that up though!!

And that link is great!! Thanks so much!!

Thanks
    Yeah, I went through the same confusion when I started using the stuff. I think Hardboard (and that's how they refer to it at Home Depot) will do just fine.

Thanks
    I've been doing paintings on gessoed hard board. Works well, doesn't bow. It comes in 2x4 sheets, which I have them cut in 3rds. I get three 16x24 surfaces for $3.50.

Thanks
    Hehe I've been to a couple Home Depot/Lowe's and they always scratch their head when I ask for "masonite panels"

I'm glad the confusion was cleared up..this website kicks ass!! Totally getting a couple drawing boards and some accessories..

Its like Christmas in August!!

Thanks
    The 2' by 4' stuff is there, and smooth on both sides. It's 1/8" thick. The 1/4" thick stuff that is much stiffer and is smooth on one side and corrugated on the other side is over in the section of 4 feet by 8 feet stuff like plywood. The latter is what I grew up calling Masonite. I doubt if you want that big of a piece, except that the 1/8" stuff can be a little bendable for a drawing board you will be rough toward. If you are going to be rough, get a real panel/board over in the 4' x 8' section.

Thanks
    Get at least 1/5" thickness, although one step thinner could work ok.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.