Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Why is it so difficult to draw a self portrait?

Thanks
    I don't take direction well. Every time I try to get me to do a provocative pose I invariably tell me to go fuck myself and storm out.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to IKV Nexis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Like others have said, it's drawing likenesses to people you're close to that prove difficult. It's more subtle things that always throw me off, like the smaller angles where parts of my face curve, where certain parts of my face are in relation to the rest of my face, little subtle things that you may not notice right away, but make the entire picture look off when they're not done right
    Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

My Sketchbook

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Straight Edge Ryan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    Another thing about faces. A face is a 3D form, and people's heads move so often, that our memory of that person is more of a composite than one particular image. That's why sometimes not even photos look like the actual person. So, unless you look at yourself a great deal in the mirror, you might not even have that composite memory of what you look like, and no drawing would ever really look like you - to your eyes.

Just a thougtht.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,868 Times in 3,972 Posts
    Use two mirrors;a reflection of a reflection - then you are seeing what others see and it's new to you as well.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 291 Posts
    its because you have a self image, of what you think you look like, which is usually not exactly what you look like. its the same way when you hear your voice recorded, alot of times it doesnt sound like you think you sound....working representationally means you need to turn off your subconscious opinions about how you think things look, and try to concentrate on the analyticals of how they actually look. slef portrait are by far the most difficult to do. my advice it so measure and get the spacing and placement of the features right. spend your time...and be honest with yourself.
    the more hte picture makes you uncomfortable, the more it probably look slike you

rendering out the forms matters alot less than getting the proportions correct if you're going for likeness. hope this helps.

c36

11. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to el coro For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Speaking of portraits and looks, just throwing it out there, since you never see anyones face online and the avatar is all you have to go by, I think you people look like your avatar.

So yes, I think TAS is a child, Why is it so difficult to draw a self portrait?

Coro looks like this: Why is it so difficult to draw a self portrait?

Ryan always stares in a creepy way Why is it so difficult to draw a self portrait?

Shamandalie IS a cat
    Why is it so difficult to draw a self portrait?

And blackspot never opens her eyes Why is it so difficult to draw a self portrait?

I did a self portrait for an assignment once.... I actually knowingly "enhanced" some parts of my face. I even actually shaved before doing the portrait.

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to hippl5 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    i don't know if anyone else has this problem, but i've always had trouble visualizing my own face. that is, i focus on sections, and find it hard to comprehend my face as a whole. i have no trouble with other peoples' faces, but understanding my face beyond its separate elements is incredibly difficult for me. maybe i'm just a little off

15. The Following User Says Thank You to serhc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts

17. The Following User Says Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    el coro said what I was going to say. For example, when I first starting drawing myself, I would make my lips way too big. It's because I know in my head that my lips are huge so I overcompensated and made them bigger than they are. I also used to draw my face so fat. It's hard work breaking that habit.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to JJacks For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,595 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Sometimes it just a matter of embarrassment, both at seeing yourself honestly, and thinking of what others will think of your drawing. Don't worry about it...just repeat after me--I LOVE having three eyes! I LOVE having three eyes! I LOVE having three eyes! I LOVE having three eyes! ...
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

21. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,281 Posts
    fer me its hard to replicate the perfection haha i kid i find it the easiest im the most familiar with my face i have seen it almost all my life an when i draw it i try to think of it like an object versus my face or me kinda helps i find that i tend to add similar characteristics of my self when i draw random characters without think'n about it kinda subconsciously ahh an a cool therapeutic thing i do that is fun i try to draw my self when im really mad or sad or what ever an by the time im done i fell good again an i get to werk on add'n emotion er expression to a paint ahh an one more thing ah touch yer face too dun know helps me an the more senses i use the better i might even try to lick ma nose or an ear er someth'n
    Last edited by SMILEFACE; August 24th, 2009 at 02:52 AM.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JJacks View Post
    el coro said what I was going to say. For example, when I first starting drawing myself, I would make my lips way too big. It's because I know in my head that my lips are huge so I overcompensated and made them bigger than they are. I also used to draw my face so fat. It's hard work breaking that habit.
    i do the same thing, i always draw my lips to big and i made my face to round.. i am starting to get better with those two things, however i still get the length of my nose wrong.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 516 Posts
    I can never finish a self portrait. After about a half hour of staring at a mirror I've usually got my shirt off and am busting out some poses.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast