Academy of Art College - Page 8
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Results 211 to 228 of 228

Thread: Academy of Art College

  1. #211
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    400
    Thanks
    473
    Thanked 325 Times in 84 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    On the other hand, I found it useful for LA classes where I would have saved a lot on commute. (was living in SJ at the time)

    On the other hand, for drawing classes...well, I was there when they started having them, and there was interest in trying them out and seeing what they could do. But they are basically like forums, you attach your images/documents to new threads, the teacher and other people respond. The teacher has the ability to do drawovers, but not in any sophisticated fashion. (think "mspaint", unless they have upgraded recently)

    On the other hand, it does relax your schedule since you can attend the class any time during the week and you can save the lecture webpages for later.

    Magnas- For this school, you will be okay starting out from square one. The initial classes will cover the basics, and as long as you can keep up then you will get up to speed.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  2. #212
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Woah woah woah wait a minute here, so you guys are saying I don't have to go through the actual BA degree system? I'm a high school senior in San Francisco and I've applied to AAU and City College. I'm much more concerned about becoming a famed artist (3D) with a high paying job than getting some degree crap.

    So what is this "Certificate Program" you guys speak of? You mean I don't have to take any Liberal Arts classes and just go with the personal enrichment classes and save thousands? Originally I had two options; go to City College for 2 years then transfer to AAU or go to AAU right after high school if I get enough financial support and get my BA Degree. But now discovering this, maybe I'll have a third option?

    Can someone provide more info regarding this please? This is making me exited

    Last edited by SenseofTouch; February 14th, 2008 at 02:54 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  3. #213
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Can any current students give me an opinion on their 3d visual effects program?

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  4. #214
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    126
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SenseofTouch View Post
    Woah woah woah wait a minute here, so you guys are saying I don't have to go through the actual BA degree system? I'm a high school senior in San Francisco and I've applied to AAU and City College. I'm much more concerned about becoming a famed artist (3D) with a high paying job than getting some degree crap.

    So what is this "Certificate Program" you guys speak of? You mean I don't have to take any Liberal Arts classes and just go with the personal enrichment classes and save thousands? Originally I had two options; go to City College for 2 years then transfer to AAU or go to AAU right after high school if I get enough financial support and get my BA Degree. But now discovering this, maybe I'll have a third option?

    Can someone provide more info regarding this please? This is making me exited
    you have to take 120 credits (BFA is 132 credits i believe) and only 6 of those are Liberal Art classes. Only problem is you will run into having to take 4 studio courses a semester if you need financial aid or need to stay in student housing. Thats about it really. I have also found that my advisors care alot less about prereqs because I am in the certificate program. But it may also cause problems with things like cal grant and financial aid so i would look into that.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  5. #215
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    1,004
    Thanks
    506
    Thanked 678 Times in 186 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    My biggest beef with this institution is that they do not reward merit with scholarships or grants.
    They have a ton of money due to open enrollment and targeting wealthy students from over-seas.
    But Elissa Stevens would rather spend all of that extra money on cocaine. (but you didn't hear that from me....)
    I say fuck that, give the students an incentive to do well.
    Give back to the students that can add to their list of companies that the alumni now work for, who are now struggling to pay for these debts.
    I know several talented graduates that have found themselves in $100,000+ in debt. This is capitalism at it's worst.

    I had a great time at the academy, and I learned quite a bit. But the politics of that school are some of the worst out there.
    Don't waste your time with a degree. I have never had a client ask me for my educational credentials.
    Take the classes you want with the instructors you want and then get the fuck out of there. That's what I did, and I'm all the better for it.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  6. #216
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by James Kei View Post
    My biggest beef with this institution is that they do not reward merit with scholarships or grants.
    They have a ton of money due to open enrollment and targeting wealthy students from over-seas.
    But Elissa Stevens would rather spend all of that extra money on cocaine. (but you didn't hear that from me....)
    I say fuck that, give the students an incentive to do well.
    Give back to the students that can add to their list of companies that the alumni now work for, who are now struggling to pay for these debts.
    I know several talented graduates that have found themselves in $100,000+ in debt. This is capitalism at it's worst.

    I had a great time at the academy, and I learned quite a bit. But the politics of that school are some of the worst out there.
    Don't waste your time with a degree. I have never had a client ask me for my educational credentials.
    Take the classes you want with the instructors you want and then get the fuck out of there. That's what I did, and I'm all the better for it.
    So what exactly should I do?

    Well first of all, I don't need housing because I'm a local here in San Francisco and it takes me only 30 minutes to get to school by BART.

    I'm currently a 2.5 Grade Point Average high school student.

    The only options are City College and Academy of Art University for Fall 2008.

    I'm not rich.

    What should I do? Don't aim for the BA degree and take the Certificate Program instead? Generally how long is the Certificate Program? What should I apply for? I am so confused. There's this issue and the financial issue.. Can someone help me come up with a good plan? It'd be great if someone can explain to me on instant messenger or something.

    My AIM is "Cybad3n",

    MSN "TheSenseofTouch@hotmail.com"

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  7. #217
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    1,004
    Thanks
    506
    Thanked 678 Times in 186 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    It depends on what you want to do.

    If you want to be an Illustrator/concept artist. Practice a lot on your own. Take "personal enlightenment" classes at the AAC and only with the teachers you want. (I can give you a list of teachers if you would like) Thet will give you the foundations you need to get started with. Attend all of the free drawing workshops at the academy. Work a part time job if you need to make ends meet, and focus the rest of your waking hours to study, and drawing. Post your progress here on the boards and seek helpful criticism.

    That's all.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  8. #218
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by James Kei View Post
    It depends on what you want to do.

    If you want to be an Illustrator/concept artist. Practice a lot on your own. Take "personal enlightenment" classes at the AAC and only with the teachers you want. (I can give you a list of teachers if you would like) Thet will give you the foundations you need to get started with. Attend all of the free drawing workshops at the academy. Work a part time job if you need to make ends meet, and focus the rest of your waking hours to study, and drawing. Post your progress here on the boards and seek helpful criticism.

    That's all.
    Oh sorry I forgot to mention, I want to be a 3D artist. And yes please gimme a list of teachers, thanks.

    I also want to know what kind of classes generally should I take? I'm not that good at drawing

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  9. #219
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SenseofTouch View Post
    Oh sorry I forgot to mention, I want to be a 3D artist. And yes please gimme a list of teachers, thanks.

    I also want to know what kind of classes generally should I take? I'm not that good at drawing
    I would definitely take as many figure and life drawing workshops/classes as you can afford. Those will definitely point you in the right direction. I'm a 3d art student as well and can say that it defintely helps. I'm in the same boat and have decided to take a 3d visual effects program offered in my area rather then AAU. When it comes right down to it, employers look at your portfolio and could care less about a degree. I would also definitely get involved in your local Siggraph chapter if you haven't already. It's a great place to meet other 3d artists and potential emplioyers.

    Networking, Networking, Networking!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  10. #220
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Arin View Post
    I would also definitely get involved in your local Siggraph chapter if you haven't already. It's a great place to meet other 3d artists and potential emplioyers.
    What's a siggraph

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  11. #221
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SenseofTouch View Post
    What's a siggraph
    I am so glad you asked! Siggraph is a yearly convention for 3d artists where you can hook up with other artists, learn about the latest software, get to know your potential employers, etc. It's a great place for anyone interested in 3d arts to check out.

    A lot of cities also have local chapters. Members gather every month or so for lectures and discussions on the latest technology, techniques and generally anything about 3d. It's fantastic for networking as well. I've been a member for less then a year and have already met staff from Blizzard, Pixar, Blur, Dreamworks, etc.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  12. #222
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Arin View Post
    I am so glad you asked! Siggraph is a yearly convention for 3d artists where you can hook up with other artists, learn about the latest software, get to know your potential employers, etc. It's a great place for anyone interested in 3d arts to check out.

    A lot of cities also have local chapters. Members gather every month or so for lectures and discussions on the latest technology, techniques and generally anything about 3d. It's fantastic for networking as well. I've been a member for less then a year and have already met staff from Blizzard, Pixar, Blur, Dreamworks, etc.
    http://www.siggraph.org/s2008/ ?

    Last edited by SenseofTouch; February 18th, 2008 at 03:05 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  13. #223
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SenseofTouch View Post

    Yep, that's the convention website. Below is the website to locate your local chapter.

    http://www.siggraph.org/chapters

    Let me know if you have any other questions.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  14. #224
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    73
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Speaking of conventions and since you've mentioned 3D, you should check out the GDC (Gamers Developers Conference) thats happening right now at the Moscone Convention center. Its the start of the few videogame conventions this year, its a good place to get a feel and information about working in videogames. I'm not sure if videogames is an avenue you want to go into, but its a good career option once you're done with school. Its a great place to network too!... then stop by WonderCon afterwards!

    Its expensive to get in, but on Friday is discounted for students at $75.
    http://www.gdconf.com/register/passoptions.htm

    Opinions and critiques always welcomed!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  15. #225
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by IcyM View Post
    Speaking of conventions and since you've mentioned 3D, you should check out the GDC (Gamers Developers Conference) thats happening right now at the Moscone Convention center. Its the start of the few videogame conventions this year, its a good place to get a feel and information about working in videogames. I'm not sure if videogames is an avenue you want to go into, but its a good career option once you're done with school. Its a great place to network too!... then stop by WonderCon afterwards!

    Its expensive to get in, but on Friday is discounted for students at $75.
    http://www.gdconf.com/register/passoptions.htm
    Yeah, I would have gone myself but it's an 8 hour drive and classes just started.

    PS: If anyone in socal is interested, they're holding an event with Blizzard down here. Let me know and I'll post the details.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  16. #226
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by silentbrain View Post
    Magnas- For this school, you will be okay starting out from square one. The initial classes will cover the basics, and as long as you can keep up then you will get up to speed.
    Whoa, massive delay. Sorry about that!

    Many thanks for your advice! I know they have an open enrollment, but being able to learn from scratch is a completely matter entirely. I was worried it was just a sort of marketing ploy of theirs.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  17. #227
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hi, I've been a long-time lurker on the CA forums and the AAU thread piqued my interest.

    I had actually planned on attending the 2008 Spring semester in S.F. at AAU but I ended up getting cold feet and bailed because the cost made my hair curl. (I'm a poor girl that can barely make ends meet already and I got declined on a loan that would've helped me cover living/first semester tuition costs. But I digress...) I was originally enrolled in the 3D Animation program and was taking a bunch of random first semester pre-planned classes that I felt didn't fit the bill for foundation courses. You don't have much choice in the matter it seems. My enrollment counselor guy, Scott, plopped me in Introduction to Computer Graphics for Animation (yawn!), some Super 8MM photo storyboarding class, Experimental Animation, and a figure drawing class. Some of the classes felt more like "fluff/filler" classes to run up my debt. Maybe not all of these classes specifically, but some of 'em are pretty friggin' stupid.

    Anyway, I decided for the next semester or two I'm just gonna work more on foundation drawing on my own. (I have a well-known artist father who's been in the illustration industry for fifteen years and he agrees it's a solid idea.) I.e. going to the zoo, park, etc. and doing life-drawing yadda yadda yadda.

    So here's where this long-winded story is getting at. I already know that professionals and employers don't really give two shits (overseas jobs and circumstances aside) whether or not you have a degree, and it's all about your portfolio that reflects your talent. My dad went to CCAC and AAU back in the late 80s and took about 2 years at both schools, took the classes he wanted, and dropped out when he felt he had absorbed as much as he was going to get from those colleges. So my question is this: nowadays they're not as lenient about students going to upper-level classes/skipping out on your Gen. Ed. classes because, really, all they want is more of your money (because they're all blood-sucking capitalist vampires).

    How would I go about taking a similar route that my dad did...? And that is: taking classes that I need and finding teachers in advance that don't suck ass, all the while learning stuff that isn't my main "art major". I plan on Illustration being my main area of focus all the while becoming proficient in 3D.

    I've read most of this thread this evening and gotten a few names/courses, but if there's any more to the list that anyone would like to add, that'd be super helpful. Whether it's awesome teachers, workshops, or classes I should really take or classes to steer away from.

    Sorry this is super long, but I felt it'd be helpful to be pretty specific since I really don't wanna be at the AAU spinning my wheels taking useless classes and then not being able to pay off my debt until I'm forty-five.

    Last edited by waltlindsay; March 10th, 2008 at 06:18 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  18. #228
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    90
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I'm currently happy with it. The teachers there are really helpful and have a lot of insight. And the online class feature is pretty nice, although I only use it for my liberal arts classes.

    Some previous posters were right on target about the expense though. And I guess you can say that the school might be open to some financial criticism due to it's open enrollment and it's private/"for profit" status as a university...at least according to some critics.

    I'm doing the whole student loan thing...which is giving me more incentive to practice more and more since I know I'm going to owe a decent amount once I'm through. Really I just want to make my way as someone in the field of traditional illustration.

    All in all, a good school to learn from. Just be careful with your financial decisions.

    "And you will shed tears of scarlet."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •