Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Academy of Art College

Thanks

The Scamademy, huh?

Don't don't don't don't don't don't don't don't and don't
    waste your money on the on-line classes.

The Acadamy is a big-time business, and the on-line classes are all a scam. I'm talking about the art classes...but who would want to pay $1,500 for a liberal arts class? The Academy is a cool school, but please go to a J.C. and pay $30 a unit first for all of the gen. ed. As far as online art classes, that's a rip off for sure. You get no one-on-one benefit from the teacher, and no help from the students. It's a total scam.
    www.theconcol.com

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    yes, definitely take your liberal arts classes at a jc. there are some really awesome teachers in the illustration/fine arts department. if you are planning on attending the academy i would suggest taking teachers like zhao ming wu, james wu, henry yan, kazu sano, stephen player, and chuck pyle just to name a few.

and actually you dont have to test in to classes unless you are trying to skip the prereqs.

Thanks
    Thanks for the info!

Thanks

Time for a bumper on this thread...

I was recently looking into AAC and I have a question myself:
    Do you know if the credits transfer to other colleges?
    I'm checking it out this Tuesday and I will e-mail the other colelges I'm applying to, but I just wanted to find out in case anyone knew already.
    I'm looking into a BFA Cinematography (I saw that both Humboldt, Western Washington, and Evergreen State University in Olympia, WA -the other colleges I'm applying to- have Theatrical courses with similar Cinematography classes) and BFA Storyboarding in Computer Illustration.
    Carpe Diem.

Thanks
    I am CURRENTLY enrolled in AAC san francisco.. I'd have to agree with most of what Hagac has said. I am pulling a double major in Illustration and 3D and I feel I have alot of potential that is bieng STOMPED on by lack of money. I am constantly wrestleing with the faculty when it comes to loans. It is not uncommon for them to make huge errors in loan ammounts and dispersal dates that can ruin you and make you late on RENT. They DO think of you as a number, with a big dollar sign on the end of it. If your lucky enough to get a good teacher the classes can be great but there is no in between with the school when it comes to help with supplies or financial aid. They don't offer any scolorships or assistance (screw poor people). My overall impression is FUCK THE ACADEMY.. the rare good class is not worth the hastle or CASH.. . there has to be a better alternative to this. If you find it, go there. This is my last semester here.. I'm going to look for a better school. Maybe the CCAC or the Art Institute SF.

Thanks
    also, Klev... you go there now right? you said some solid shit about the school... good luck in your studies bro.. If I stay here I'm switching to a full illustration major so maybe I'll be happier with that.. peace.

oh, and gays are people too, it's all love! -a true SF opinion

Thanks
    Hey guys, can you point out how much is the cost per course/class and the cost of each credit/unit. I am considering of taking like 2 courses, and maybe I can complete a Associate of Arts degree in a couple of years. Also, what are mandatory fess for online classes?

Thanks
    There has been recent press coverage about the Academy of Art University (they recently changed their name). This story was featured front page on the SF Chronicle. here's the link:

A Work of art or a harbinger of violence? Grisly short story gets student expelled from S.F Academy

Here's what a teacher had to say:

"Alan Kaufman, author of "Jew Boy" and editor of "The Outlaw Bible of American Poetry,'' teaches modern art and popular culture at the school and has taught sections of Narrative Storytelling. "The (school's) system is based on corporate greed,'' he said. "It doesn't even give the bare minimum to students in terms of psychiatric counseling or social services. It just treats kids like credit cards, like clients, basically. There is no artistic vision."

To answer your question, each class is $1650 (550 per unit). This doesn't include hidden course fees which are about $65+, lab fees $100, registration $140 each time you register per semester (and online courses), supplies, and if you are doing housing (which i don't recommend) that will run you $1000 a month. Believe me, you will be buried in debt. And financial aid/administration is really not that helpful to your plight. You are a number.

For an associates and BFA, I would not recommend taking online courses. They are a waste of money. You might as well go to class and try to get a teacher/student relationship. If at all possible, try transfering credits from another institution.

for BFA: The catalog says you must take 5-6 classes to graduate in four years. LIES!! Advisors say, realistically, 4 classes is more than you can handle.If you really want a good portfolio, a life, and if you are planning to work part time to ease your financial troubles and the high cost of living in SF, you will graduate in 5 or 6 years...or maybe longer. I know plenty of students who have been there since 98 or 99. If you want to graduate in four years, you will have to take 5-6 classes every semester, summer school, and possibly winter intersession. Again, that will probably leave u with a shitty portfolio and an early death due to stress.

hope this helps.
    "The love between a couple is expressed by the unity of two complementary colors, by their mixture and contrasts, by the secretive vibrations of similar tones."

---Vincent van Gogh

Thanks
    I go to AAC as well... They renamed the school Academy of Art University recently after getting their full creditials.

Thanks
    It's got some cool things going for it, reps from Blizzard North are giving a presentation on Monday, for example.

Although some of the stuff that goes on in the school may appear unfair to us students, in reality it is no different at any other college. The difference is - in order for this degree to pay off, you have to be extremely talented. That is my warning to all new non-3d students.

The 3d department is slightly different, as I've seen some insanely good modelers that could not draw or paint to save thier lives. However, they are extremely dedicated and focused, and often do more then is required of them by the school.

www.Panzar.com - for new 3d students, this is at least what you should have on your senior demo reels, when you get there.

www.GoodBrush.com - For new Illustration students, this is the quality of work you need to be putting into your senior portfolio, when you get there.

Do not make the mistake of only comparing yourself to your fellow students, as they are not your only competition. Do not let this discourage you, as we all have to start somewhere, but excelling beyond those examples should be your goal.

Thanks
    hi all.
    been lurking about for awhile, but this thread made me register

I was wondering, are there any thoughts on AAC's Transportation Design course? I'm contemplating mortgaging my life away with student loans, but wonder if AAC is worth it . . .

Thanks
    I've seen some amazing stuff come out of that department, and the teachers seem really qualified - but I've only had a few classes there.

The best thing you can do is go on a tour. Ask students what they think about the program on the tour.

Thanks

yo

Hagac makes a good point.. any school you go to is going to be what you put into it at the end... but be warned and prepared for money to be a constant problem at art school in general. If your dad isn't rich you are going to have additional struggles rich kids won't have... AAU isn't the worst school as a whole like I might have imlied.. but the financial aid department and counseling ARE the biggest disasters I've ever seen..

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast