Sketchbook: The Unconvincing World of Witcrack - Page 9
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: The Unconvincing World of Witcrack

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Scanlon: Thanks. Will try to materialize that idea more And, the fish creature (murloc), i'm actually still trying to figure out how it would look from another angle . It's not my original idea and i even have references, but still, it's not that easy to do it based on my imagination alone, now i figured . But i'll post another angle soon.

Aldo: Haloo Aldo! Pakabar? Dah lama ga online nih, sy. Jadi aktif disini ya? Greaaat! Hehe. Anyway, thanks for your comments and for dropping by here. I checked back at your SB and i like what i found there. Keep it up you too

Well here's another update:
    A bit continuation on the winged bear creature, i don't think i want to finish it though
    Name:  THE-SUMMON-2.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  31.6 KB

And another portrait for the thread, "The Official - Draw from "What Does Everyone Looks Like"." It's Zephyri.
    Name:  Zephyri.jpg
Views: 1735
Size:  96.7 KB

I'm making mess here: Sketchbook .
    also on dA and blogspot

Cool people:
    Rotor | Kristoff | Kingkostas | Angel Intheuk | bbwolf
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hello mate!!!the works are going very nice.By looking at these i would say they just need more work and probably some more contrast.But mostly just more work.I think you are on the right track.
    i did a quick paintover cause i wanted to see the potential.
    I see you have a power so keep it up!!!
    do more value training.Dont use that much highlights at the first stage.first put up the main values and put highlights at the end

Attached Images Attached Images    

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I second what king said. You need more blacks and contrast, to attract the viewers eye and interest. In the portrait for example, higher contrast between the hair and the face and darker values on the eyes + lips would help to get a focal point for the viewer. Nice rendering on the clothes btw

For training value I can always recommend http://www.youtube.com/user/FZDSCHOOL
    Helped me a lot in understanding value and point-of-interest thinking 'till now. Just saying

My Sketchbook | My blog

Only lawyers and painters can turn white to black. ~japanese proverb

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arestocrat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your comment Witcrack! the winged bear has a good concept and nice drawing, why you don't want to finished it up. I think it's good if you make more detail of it.
    and I like the costume of the Zephyri, the stroke is quite rough yet it still maintain the good detail, I just think that it's good if you continue on doing the face part, make more solid on the value! lanjut gan! =D
    eh I just realised that your english is good! I'm just wondering if you are working overseas?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to aLDoDarK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work, keep it up. Keep drawing from references too! One thing I notice is that most of your work is dark. Not color wise but subject wise. The energy is typically quite dark. I challenge as I was once challenged; to create more feel good/enlightened art.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunny For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    King: Thanks mate! That actually is helpful. I agree that i need to be more confident playing with the values from the start. It might help me to work more quickly. It just that, to me, blacks are frightening

Ares: Thanks for the link to the vid. I subscribed to the whole channel. It seems very good. I'll go and check more of it soon.

AlDo: Thanks for your support, Al! No i've never out the continent (yet. i really really want to travel across Europe) I learned most of my English from Movies and, off course, RPG games

Sunny: Thanks for dropping by here. I actually have those bright and cheery pieces (in early pages). But yeah you're right, most of my stuffs are gloomy, especially lately. Even my photographs (as a hobbyist) are too. Maybe it's my tendency, maybe it's life's influence, i'm not very sure. But I'll answer the challenge, i know i have to be able to do so once in a while. Thanks for the support.

---

And now the update. I just did a refreshing DSG The topic is "JEEBUS, THAT ROBOT'S IN BIG HURRY--WTF!?!"

Here it is, done in 3 hours on Painter:
    Name:  jeebo-1.jpg
Views: 890
Size:  170.4 KB

also on dA and blogspot

Cool people:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Witcrack!

Haha, love the robot in a hurry, clever having him disappearing off the page!

Sorry not been here for a while and thanks for your continuing support in my SB ..

Firstly the clown is looking really good. I think you can push the shadows further on him, round his head, the background and his shirt in particular and if you use a dark blue/black or a dark purple and then use that shade but desaturated on the shadows on his face that would tie the whole piece together...hmm just trying to imagine...alt I could attempt a paintover to see if I can show you what I mean if that's ok?

Oh and I really like the sand ninja at the bottom of that post, you gonna work that one up?

That Gimp prog looks good, is that free? I want to try out painter but don't have that much money to spare :/.

The summoned beast is great, I do however like the original sketch better because he looks quite soft and cuddly which could be a interesting concept if he's incredibly huge (maybe I'm just too much of a girl and like looking at cuddly things) however, I do like the fresh sketchy feel of the different textures in your work.

I agree as well about values, you could try doing some black and white illustrations, I'm going to check out that Francis Vallejo Ink Techniques workshop when I get paid, I reckon that would be a perfect medium to experiment with, you worked in inks much?

Anyway will stop rambling now and just say, keep up the good work!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As sunny mentioned, the gloomyness and collorlessness is something that strikes me aswell when I look at your SB. I do wish for some more color in your life to wash the EMO away. anyways keed painting from ref its something that helps alot and dont be afraid of colors. Keep it up mate!

Björn Silfverberg

B-Mans Spanking

Friends sketchbooks

14. The Following User Says Thank You to B-Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wit! those rock! keep going doood

The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    witcrack, Bman, purb, Jeff
    kostas, danny

16. The Following User Says Thank You to krel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think your color work is coming along well, you have a palette that's really conducive to making realistic pictures, lots mixes of "greys" and "browns", not a whole lot of intense saturation. i think that next step is learning where to put those accents of saturated color, especially as a compositional tool to lead the viewer's eye around the picture. you're doing really well man, keep it going! peace!

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

18. The Following User Says Thank You to purb36 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet sketchbook man!
    Love how you made the robot appear to leave the canvas, nice idea!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Angel: Thank youu! Don't feel sorry, there's no obligation anyway, just feel free
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel Intheuk
    Firstly the clown is looking really good. I think you can push the shadows further on him, round his head, the background and his shirt in particular and if you use a dark blue/black or a dark purple and then use that shade but desaturated on the shadows on his face that would tie the whole piece together...hmm just trying to imagine...alt I could attempt a paintover to see if I can show you what I mean if that's ok?
    Yeah, i actually concentrated only on the face, cuz i felt lazy . I actually get what you mean, but if you want to paint over it, then please . Maybe it can be a collab work, it'll be great i think. What say you?
    About The Sand Ninja, maybe i will, but i don't know... hehe. Let's just see...
    The GIMP is free. The one i use require a couple of patches though. Here's the link for Official GIMP. Then DL this (it's in Japnese, but no worry, just click the dl button. Then download this. For the patches installation, there's some info you need to read first, just browse through it. Not easy and the interface is somewhat awkward, but hey! it's FREE
    As for Painter, I think Paint tool SAI is a (very) good alternative to Painter. It's smaller and it's much cheaper. (DL the 30 days trial and later you can activate it within the program) If only i know about it before i bought Painter .
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel Intheuk
    I agree as well about values, you could try doing some black and white illustrations, I'm going to check out that Francis Vallejo Ink Techniques workshop when I get paid, I reckon that would be a perfect medium to experiment with, you worked in inks much?
    Yeah, i'm curious as well about that Vallejo guy. I used to work with ink a lot. Back when i did lots of graphic works (sometimes before i joined CA).

B-Man: Am i EMO? still?? i thought i already past that stage. Well then, i've to find the right solvent to wash that away. Something strong, i think . Well anyway, yeah, i agree. I'll try to be more colorful

krel: Thanks, mate!

purb36: Thanks, purby! I too think that realism is my tendency in whatever style i experimented. Thanks for the encouragement man.

Sulphur: Hey, thanks man! Really glad you like them

---

Now for some updates. I'm not doing much art lately, just some doodles and digital-paint-sketches that rarely taken form. heheh. But here's some that do... well, slightly

These were actually for CHOW, the first one is Mother Nature, the second one is Father Time. But as you can see, i didn't managed to past through these early stages. Bummer
    Name:  GAia_001.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  52.1 KB
    Name:  Father-TIme.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  47.6 KB

Another murloc. Photoshop this time, mainly playing with its brush's texture feature.
    Name:  ikan.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  44.6 KB Name:  ikan-detail.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  53.0 KB

Here's the most recent one, as i've read some comment about colors in my SB, i try to make one in high saturation. The concept of the character is random though (Halfling techy/shooter girl, ... or sorta ).
    Name:  dwarven-heroine.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  72.3 KB

Last edited by witcrack; July 28th, 2010 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Fixing the attachments
    also on dA and blogspot

Cool people:

21. The Following User Says Thank You to witcrack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do the update pictures show? I can't see it from here... strange...

Last edited by witcrack; July 28th, 2010 at 02:25 PM. Reason: grammar check, still not sure :teeth:
    also on dA and blogspot

Cool people:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Problems are fixed. The pictures are showing allright
    now, bump!

also on dA and blogspot

Cool people:

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    thats it.Great contrast and use of values in these.They look like they contain more "paint".
    keep up the good work!!!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha! 3 hours in painter rocks! xD

And I kind of like that girl with long black hair, nice contrast with her body ^_^, though the anatomy of her lower body is of and not well defined.

Keep up the good work! ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice update man! Keep on rocking. Will post a more constructive comment once i get home from vacation.

My Sketchbook | My blog

28. The Following User Says Thank You to arestocrat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wit! That shooter kid is way cool! Nice rendering of the face area

The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    witcrack, Bman, purb, Jeff
    kostas, danny

30. The Following User Says Thank You to krel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kingkostas: Thanks man! You help a lot, you know
    Kristoff: Thanks. Glad you like it and yeah, the girl painting is rushed 'cuz I had a suspicion that I won't be able to finish it. Heheh. The same goes for the next one too (the old man painting).
    Ares: Will be waiting for it. In the meanwhile, Happy vacation!
    krel: Thanks man! Oh and, i wanted to say this: your new avatar makes me laugh I like it.

---

Now, the updates. Not much though:
    A pack of cigarettes. Start this sometime ago and i forgot about it. I accidentally found this recently, sitting in my downloads folder (what the ??)
    Name:  A-pack-of-cigarettes.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  63.5 KB

and a cartoon piece i recently did. Frenzied children or whatever... Still am not sure. I plan to color this one and replace the (wtf) butcher's knife .
    Name:  SMIIILE!!!!.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  79.3 KB

That's all I've been very busy doing commissions and stuffs. Can't/Won't post them here though, they're more to graphic design than illustration.

Last edited by witcrack; August 3rd, 2010 at 03:00 PM.
    also on dA and blogspot

Cool people:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So! You're advocating violence amongst children and smoking?! Just Kiddin Those last two are really good, that kids face is so funny! The halfling welder girl is pretty cool too

Thanks so much for the downloads, I will check that out. and I would like to have a go at seeing what I can do with that clown, I'm not much of a collaborator but I would like to be please feel free to pilfer anything from my sb you think you can add to

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the cartoony ink picture... Your line drawings seem a lot more confident then your paintings.. Really looking forward to the colored version.
    A few things about the paintings that you can try out... 1st use a textured, darker background,... a white( or light grey) background is really boring and hurts the eyes/ changes the impression of the greyscale/ colors a lot. This will also help to make the highlights of your character pop a lot more. 2nd always check drop shadows, would make the father time picture a lot more realistic... even in this preproduction stage and last but not least: You use a nice range of values. Now you have to lead the viewers eye with them, not just doing the same value in every part of the body... I really like the cigarette picture, because you did just that. Taking the focus to the box.
    Overall great improvement bro!
    Hope to see more from you soon.

My Sketchbook | My blog

35. The Following User Says Thank You to arestocrat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did an overpaint to your drawing, and now I realized that yours looks so much good. It's a cool gamma of colors sort of golden and black. Looks like a painting of William Blake. So, the idea was that you shouldn't turn to saturated colors as some people were saying, so I tried to get a better and more acurated advice, but it turns out that I am the one that should be looking for advice.
    So here is my drawing, it looks like a fucking circus beacuse it has so many color. Now, perhaps if I would have desaturated a bit. Anyhow, it seems that the more saturated this stuff is, the more it works as an illustration (because it catches the eye), but the more desaturated it is, the better it looks once you watch it for a moment (it looks more serious, like fine art).
    Well, my idea was to use two oposite colors, orange and green. I also add blue to the green and the shadows to get more color variation, and put more red to the hair of the beast. Still think that it looks like a freaking circus, it's too much color. In any case, beware of certain advices, too much color is BAD.

Attached Images Attached Images  

37. The Following User Says Thank You to lennon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everyone for the comments

Lennon: I don't think anyone directly said that i should turn to a more saturated colors. They were only saying that i should get more colorful thematically. I agree with that because my somewhat dark themes are mostly come from my fear of colors, especially after reading some theories and discussions about it (sooo much rules! ). What i did lately with very saturated colors is my struggle to break out, something like "trying to make colors my friends again" Cuz to me, art should be more intuitive than scientific and to be intuitive i have to be bolder. I knew i'll make some errors but it's much better than not trying at all.
    I agree to what you are saying, don't get me wrong and i like your paintover. Oh btw, the previous color work of that gigantic beast (that i also like, since it especially opens my eyes about the possibilities i did not realize before) is done by Kingkostas, in case you are not aware of that

Um... it may seems like i'm being nice here, agreeing with everyone. But tbh, i'm not, every thought mentioned here in my SB is worth to think over and about. So once again, thanks everyone!

---

Here's a little update:
    Name:  SMIIILE!!!!.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  64.7 KB

Last edited by witcrack; August 6th, 2010 at 10:51 AM.
    also on dA and blogspot

Cool people:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another small update, i did them just recently

Fruits:
    Name:  pepper.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  71.4 KB
    Name:  Untitled-3.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  47.5 KB

And a quick portrait based on a reference. I didn't aim for accuracy though (resemblance), just wanted to see what i can do starting with blocks of values (no initial lines).
    Name:  girl-lying.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  80.4 KB

Crits and comments are always welcomed

also on dA and blogspot

Cool people:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The fruits both look a bit flat...
    Check your value range and light... always the same saturation is not good. Think of warm and cold, like warm light (sun) and cold shadow i.e.
    Let the shadow areas get a little bit more greyish/ blueish and make warmer highlights, will make the whole thing more realistic. Also add shadow and bounced light from the surface. Not too difficult to make, but makes a lot of difference in the final picture.

Really digg the portrait, nice practice. Love how you done the lips, eyes and nose

Keep it up man!

My Sketchbook | My blog

41. The Following User Says Thank You to arestocrat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey great man ! lot of stuff since the last time i came ! you have some good study, and good traditional stuff !
    I love the little girl you did !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love love love the shading on those kids It looks so polished, have you used the lasso tool?

The fruit are looking good as a base colour, I reckon you could experiment with using complimentary colours for the shadows.

And good tonal drawing! proportions are a bit off but other than that it rocks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude!
    Haven't been to your SB in a long time, very cool updates.
    You are very productive, it's great to see you working on so many different styles and always experimenting. Kids are also great.

Keep it up mate!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ares: hey ares! Thanks for the crits man, it's well appreciated
    axel: thanks, axel. your stuffs rock too
    angel: Yeah I used lasso tool (yeehaw! ) and gradient tool, no brush for this one, except of course, the lines. The way I usually do for my more graphical works. I should experiment more with colours, I agree. About the proportion on the girl's face, I didn't nailed it quite right, yeah? gotta train more
    rotor: Hey man, how're you? Thanks for visiting again man. I've been absent for a long time to your sketch book too. I'll fix that right away

---

OK so, here goes the update... Big dumps, straight from my sketchbook

I was starting to draw with pencil again and, damn!, it appears that my hand has adapted to short strokes due to excessive use of small tablet (a small Bamboo Fun), or maybe i just don't draw enough .
    Name:  kneeling-man.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  58.6 KB
    Name:  darkchild.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  64.8 KB
    Name:  slark.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  71.2 KB
    Name:  Untitled-5.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  70.1 KB
    Name:  cano.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  69.6 KB

And so I did some life drawings, not timed though, just a very casual practice
    Name:  nico-3.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  57.5 KB
    Name:  nico-2.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  33.4 KB
    Name:  nico-1.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  55.0 KB
    Name:  heads.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  74.8 KB
    Name:  atZentech.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  48.0 KB

and some still-lives:
    Name:  stills.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  52.6 KB
    Name:  stills2.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  74.6 KB
    Name:  trashcan.jpg
Size:  52.5 KB
    Name:  kunci.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  14.3 KB

then some from references:
    the photo-reference for this one is taken from the thread "the official draw from what everyone looks like", it's spaz, i think i have to finish her face if i want to post this there
    Name:  cowgirl-spaz.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  49.6 KB
    and this is the young Jane Birkin:
    Name:  jbirkin_01.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  81.6 KB
    Name:  jbirkin_02.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  126.5 KB

I stumbled across last week's CHOW, The Samael, and God! i wanna do him. Bad! My idea of him is quite cliche but I've this idea of posing him like David, it could be really good to practice my anatomy and value. But once again life came to interfere. Jobs!
    Here's the sketches anyway
    Name:  sammy-sketches01.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  55.4 KB
    Name:  sammy-sketches02.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  48.0 KB
    and here's in Painter, he's not suppose in baggy, it's my idea to cover the legs' muscles. Bad idea, i know .
    Name:  SAMAEL_001.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  53.5 KB

Well that's it. I certainly need to do this more, especially the pencil drawings. I actually have planned to only paint with a tablet and sketching in pencils until i got a larger tablet, but then i got strayed
    Practice practice practice!

Commentaries, encouragements and critics, anyone? I can't get enough of those. So please people

Last edited by witcrack; August 20th, 2010 at 02:00 PM.
    also on dA and blogspot

Cool people:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Small updates:
    Some doodles, the muscly guy at the bottom was based on a reference
    Name:  100825-sketch-anatomy.jpg
Size:  52.0 KB

and I started a new painting, it's a character in the book Abarat by Clive Barker, she don't have any role in the story, except maybe adding some absurdness to the scene. But I find her quite ... attractive. So here it is
    Name:  Fish-Bowl.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  168.1 KB

also on dA and blogspot

Cool people:

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 53