Industrial Apocalypse

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 133 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Industrial Apocalypse

i dont read too many essays but i found this one compelling and interesting, its actually more of a debate than an essay between two viewpoints,

http://www.alternet.org/module/printversion/142051

The writing is on the wall for industrial society, and no amount of ethical shopping or determined protesting is going to change that now. Take a civilisation built on the myth of human exceptionalism and a deeply embedded cultural attitude to "nature"; add a blind belief in technological and material progress; then fuel the whole thing with a power source that is discovered to be disastrously destructive only after we have used it to inflate our numbers and appetites beyond the point of no return. What do you get? We are starting to find out.

i kind of like human exceptionalism, and i have a blind belif in my Wacom tablet.

oh well , lets make some meaningful art while we still can Kidos.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Android For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that's our nature. In the beginning the human race where a nomad race, we moved to a spot drained all of it's resources and them moved to somewhere else. Unfortunately now, we don't have nowhere else in this planet to go.
    I know that this sounds too much sci-fi, but I think that we need to find another "Earth" or soon (by soon I don't mean in this immediate future) our civilization WILL collapse, and we can't do nothing about it.
    In my point of view, we are a nomad virus, and we should accept it Just like turtles accept being turtles and wolves accept that they are wolves.

I fell lighter now I will draw.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Humans should accept they are a nomad virus like a turtle accepts it is a turtle and a wolf accepts it is a wolf... okay... (I'm not trying to start a debate on whether we're a virus, just saying maybe try for a more logical train of thought ).

Anyways, I believe in destiny to a certain degree. For example, my job requires that I climb up tall, often bent ladders, in the mud, on slopes (washing windows). It would be easy to fall off, but I don't worry about it because I'm going to become a professional artist, and if I took a 40 foot fall, I probably wouldn't be able to do that. That doesn't mean I'm not careful; one wrong move and my destiny could be out the window. I feel the same way towards the state of the environment. Sure, we could be treading dangerous territory in the far, far future, and it would be a good idea to try and set up a good foundation of safety while we can, but I feel that as long as we're careful, we do have a purpose that won't allow for an uninhabitable earth. It's a bit of a blind inclination, and has something to do with my belief in God, but that's just where I stand on the situtation. I know I probably sound like a whack-job for not believing in data and charts and graphs as reigning over all... but I just can't do that. Call it irresponsible, ignorant and/or selfish, but sometimes I feel that it's my place to draw what I see, and let the 'important' people decide on the important matters. With any luck, my visions inspired by the world our leaders create can someday inspire them in return, and their consequent visions can inspire me again.

That said, it's a good read, and I like this bit a lot:
    And who wants it tamed anyway? Most people in the rich world won't be giving up their cars or holidays without a fight.

...As for saving the planet – what we are really trying to save, as we scrabble around planting turbines on mountains and shouting at ministers, is not the planet but our attachment to the western material culture, which we cannot imagine living without.
    EDIT: Haha, just reread my post and it probably looks like my second paragraph contradicts my first one to most of you... it actually doesn't though

Last edited by Ian Barker; August 22nd, 2009 at 09:22 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I mostly agree with you, I'm not saying that "we're a virus, let's burn earth - hell yeah". In fact I think that we should be super-duper-careful here: if we kill the earth now we're in SERIOUS problem - just like a virus when it kills his victim before infecting another.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    No one ever said we were a smart virus. Just an effective one.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hookswords For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ... and I'm back to "fuck hope"

EDIT: something from The Dark Mountain Project's Manifesto;

Mainstream art in the West has long been about shock; about busting taboos, about Getting Noticed. This has gone on for so long that it has become common to assert that in these ironic, exhausted, post-everything times, there are no taboos left to bust. But there is one.

The last taboo is the myth of civilisation. It is built upon the stories we have constructed about our genius, our indestructibility, our manifest destiny as a chosen species. It is where our vision and our self-belief intertwine with our reckless refusal to face the reality of our position on this Earth. It has led the human race to achieve what it has achieved; and has led the planet into the age of ecocide. The two are intimately linked. We believe they must decoupled if anything is to remain.

We believe that artists – which is to us the most welcoming of words, taking under its wing writers of all kinds, painters, musicians, sculptors, poets, designers, creators, makers of things, dreamers of dreams – have a responsibility to begin the process of decoupling. We believe that, in the age of ecocide, the last taboo must be broken – and that only artists can do it.

Last edited by Jason Rainville; August 22nd, 2009 at 04:07 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And yet, even in the face of the obvious fact that we can't accelarate forever, that someday we will reach a turn called "low resources" while being too fast to even imagine making it, still some people urge us to multiply and consume, consume and multiply. Cause it's "good for the economy".

My take on it? Countries and regions who will be smart enough to develop economical plans, industrial designs for a more sustainable living on low resources as well as a smart ways to introduce it to their societies will be the winners.

If there will be any winners.

Or... the optimist are right and the priests of the new god - science, will "save us" from apocalypse by bringing salvation of new energy technologies. A "second coming" of sorts. Then we will again accelerate to the very limits of new possiblities and beyond.

Unless we'll grow wiser, and learn how to teach whole societies to be wiser.
    Which doesn't seem likely.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If humans are on a massive ego trip about being the chosen species, then I think that everyone believing we are powerful enough to destroy the earth is just stroking it even more.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckWeisel View Post
    If humans are on a massive ego trip about being the chosen species, then I think that everyone believing we are powerful enough to destroy the earth is just stroking it even more.
    Heh, I've always thought that too. The only thing we're gonna destroy is ourselves, Earth will truck along just fine afterward. Seriously our planet in it's younger years was an anaerobic, hostile, vicious, murderous environment. When life began on our planet, the environment was hostile in ways we could only dream of matching. And yet life still grew.

Anyhow, in recent years I've been feeling like we'll all be revisiting the population growth theories of Thomas Malthus. The only difference will be replacing food with fuel.

I think the problem is less that we're living it up too well as it is that there's just too damn many of us. We need less environmentally conscious shopping and more condoms. :)

-My work can be found at my local directory thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Anid Maro View Post
    We need less environmentally conscious shopping and more condoms.
    Exactly.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to thesaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My two cents .........

There are four* monumental threats facing humanity during this very generation, and all four together point to the imminent (as in ten years or less) downward spiral of modern civilization into the convulsive throes of a relentless and irreversible demise. The severity of the demise will (as soon as it begins, in ten years or less) cause millions of people to die, resulting in severe attrition to our entire global population. Currenly at 6 billion, we will likely be reduced to well less than 2 billion in a mere 50 years. It will not be an easy transition. It will be VERY messy. The civilization-wide convulsions will last for several agonizing decades. And there is no stopping it.

No, I'm not exaggerating.

Oh and ... try to have a nice day.

Seriously though ... here are those *Four monumental threats:

1) Peak Oil
    2) Climate Change
    3) Food and Water Scarcity
    4) Rampant Pollution

Each by itself would be able to deal a nasty blow to this planet. But all four together are the Perfect Storm capable of bringing down our entire civilization in less than a generation. For anyone here who doubts the very existence of only one or two of those four threats I have itemized, even if you choose to disregard just one or two, there's still the other two or three on the list lurking around the corner ready to pounce upon the human race with a big nasty mallet of reality. And if anyone here doubts the existence of all four, then I guess there's no arguing with you. (But hey, I did my best here today, right? )

I am ................................................ A WRITER
    in search of ...................................... AN ARTIST

Here is my current WIP:

American Crude
    A Novel of the Coming Post-Oil Collapse

sandwichboardroom (at) yahoo (dot) com

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Innocent Byproduct For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think we realised some time ago that we are not so significant to the fate of "life on earth" as much as we think. It's not about "poor cute pandas" anymore. It's our own ass getting hurt we're talking about.

And I second the condoms.

Last edited by Reign; August 22nd, 2009 at 05:29 PM. Reason: clarity

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I live in the middle of nowhere and everywhere, right on the edge of the Appalachian Trail and surrounded by nature preserves. Studying animal behavior has taught me a lot about human behavior and how we as humans have become numb to our surroundings and have let technologists take a big chunk out of our environment. Our basic survival instincts have been replaced by so many devises that we can't seem to live without.
    If an animal is distressed they either fight or retreat. If an animal's natural habitat is taken they (normally) move and make due with what they can. If the winter is too long the deer come and eat all of my plants and bushes.
    We as humans need to adapt to the severe surroundings starting to encroach on our planet or start now to create a new preserves, stop building, stop having more than three children per household (Mormons will hate me) , we should learn to make due when times are slim, cut down, cut down on paid entertainment and take hikes, read, create...

This is the best quote in my opinion: "What could you do? You know the answer as well as I do. Join up, protest, propose, create. It's messy, endless and uncertain of success. Perhaps you see yourself as above this futility, but it's all we've got and all we've ever had. And sometimes it works."

21. The Following User Says Thank You to kelly x For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly x View Post
    ... stop having more than three children per household...
    My question is, how would you enforce or encourage it? Because a standard "let's start with ourselves" in this particular case would mean that there are less children of inteligent, informed people and more children of people who don't know better or don't give a shit. Dangerous in democracy...

But then again as it is, inteligent informed people rarely have more than 3 children (not saying that people who have - aren't, just talking about general tendencies here)

Still leaves as with the question - how to convince others.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm gonna get myself a post-apocalyptic power suit with cool weaponry...

nuff said.

VatselArt@Gmail.com

Vatsel.com

Facebook page . Twitter

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Vatsel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    only encourage it this would be a mess and that is also a world we couldn't live in...
    and thank you for asking

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    brewin, now that's a brilliant idea, hahaha
    I have a bomb shelter in my basement from wwII
    I have many neighbors with 5-10 kids a household... these are not "stupid" people, but it's still happening. Everyone knows someone with more than 3 kids in America.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    What if our purpose is to do what we do technology or not it is what we do an what we will continue ta do until we are no more what if the world earth created us to throw off its balance what if we are apart of something bigger much bigger than we can imagine an our purpose is to add chaos to what has to be nearly perfect ecosystems to bring life, like a virus (an this is not ment negatively a virus has no malice it just does what it does) or how sickness causes us to build immunities what if we are the the wild fire of nature that destroys the forests to help rebuild an make them stronger what if we are the conscience thought of the universe expressing it self what if i am tired cause i havent slept in a few days my reasoning might not make sense but we will do what we do good or bad or even both i feel its good to talk an take action an do our best but i believe that if i do things an try my best the future will never come an the present will always remain forever changing with or without me so to be lucky to feel emotion an share w/ others is a gift i would like to keep an share an just i guess go on tell until i stop

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,190 Times in 1,723 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Technology is the great balloon that lifts us and carries us above the mud. With each new gust of technology the balloon gets bigger. And civilization rises once again further from the mud.

But then we fill up the basket with more passengers until the balloon can no longer rise. That's where we are now. Stagnating, uncertain. And when we look over the side of the basket, boy that's a long way down!

But the next technology is being inflated as we speak. Lots of us are huffing and puffing into the great envelope above our heads. How high this next expansion will take us, nobody knows. Maybe into the troposphere? Maybe into the stratosphere? Or maybe we'll just go for a ride around the globe.

Either way, as long as we have the lung power and the wind, we will stay afloat, soaring in some direction or other, like the flying monkeys we are.

kev

Last edited by kev ferrara; August 22nd, 2009 at 06:16 PM.
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Problem is - technology is no magic. Doesn't just come with greatness of human spirit. It needs tools and resources. And it did happen during the course of human civilizations that some depleted their resources to such an extent that they could no longer sustain their advancement and had to move to other lands and/or suffer downfall. However, now for the first time we have a chance of doing it on a global scale. We might even deny ourselves a possibilty of reaching to other lands, just like people who cut all the trees on their island and despite their great knowledge of woodwork can no longer build a ship because they don't have anything to build it from.

They can huff and puff into their baloon all they want, but if they run out of firewood to get some really hot air into it, they will go down.

Last edited by Reign; August 22nd, 2009 at 06:49 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    development of civilization = Destruction of humanity

Raise in population = Destruction of humanity

one thing goes up, the whole ting comes down

Enjoy

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bloodless For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just had an idea we should start have'n art conests that would or could help the future alot of modern technology is based off ideas from artist maybe like a chow you can sign up if you want or not yer choice but ideas are what bring things to life maybe even grow into a web site with a similar format as ca only make the world a better place . Org er something contests chould be anything from conceptualizing efficient modes of travel to save'n energy or even space ships (endless probabilities) once it is started the art could help inspire people to create these things in the real world i believe something like this could really help push us in a different direction an allow us to help in our way an a positive one just an idea i dont know how it could work but when people work together we can do anything ....sorry after i stay up fer a few days i kinda crash then get all hyper an no i dont do drugs just pizza cherry coke an cigarettes

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandmassa Mr. Spect View Post
    I just had an idea we should start have'n art conests that would or could help the future alot of modern technology is based off ideas from artist maybe like a chow you can sign up if you want or not yer choice but ideas are what bring things to life maybe even grow into a web site with a similar format as ca only make the world a better place . (...)
    It's aways a good idea to draw, but I think that you idea is TOO complex. Let's just do some art for now and post some sketches! I vote for a theme like "Humanity last hope" or something like that.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thesaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really love how people think they are so smart that they know we are destroying ourselves without acknowledging that the very things that they think are destroying our planet could actually help it too.

We were born as doomsday thinkers and we are intrigued by the very thought of it so we fantasize about how mighty and powerful we tiny humans are and are able to destroy anything (let's compare us as a species to the size of the entire universe shall we :o)

Nature has it's way of balancing everything out so it can keep on living and if it gets tired of us we will eventually be removed from the face of this planet.

PORTFOLIO
    My Sketchbook
    Leslie Van den Broeck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm in Granny!! Also The Saint, yes the simpler the better... I'm not sold on the title, it's almost there but I think it needs a more proactive title? I can't really think of one at the moment... But this would be interesting. This is so strange to me because I've had two shows "Bringing The World Together Through Art" This title is way too long but this is maybe the basic premise?? And so is yours The Saint.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to kelly x For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha YALL RRROOCCKKKKKK!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree Kelly! I think your tittle fits very well "Bringing The World Together Through Art" I'm in! Well, if someone have another title that fits here, please, fell free to share.
    Should we post the images here or should we create a topic somewhere else?

42. The Following User Says Thank You to thesaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Innocent Byproduct View Post
    *Four[/I][/B] monumental threats:

1) Peak Oil
    2) Climate Change
    3) Food and Water Scarcity
    4) Rampant Pollution
    I thought they were the Four Horsemen of Apocalypse.

Seriously, I agree that those four factors will eventually do us in. That is one of the drawbacks of civilization-- take away the natural cycle of death (diseases), and we multiply like rabbits. Factor that in with our ever increasing demand and greed for comfort and luxury...and you have a recipe for disaster. Our civilization hangs on a delicate balance...resources that we depend on is becoming scarce. An sudden and abrupt shortage in oil will literally bring the entire civilization to a grinding halt...majority of our food, water, and power production is virtually dependent on that essential energy source. Take that away, and we no longer have means to farm or transport food, let alone provide power for hospitals, industries, and so forth.

Aside from natural disasters, plagues, or all-out global wars that could also happen, our dependence on oil will prove to be our ultimate undoing. While we are trying to move away from dependence on oil, it is not happening fast enough to avert the crisis if it comes down to that.

While our population is burgeoning and on verge of becoming 7 billion, I am no fan of the Malthusian method of population control using forced abortions and eugenics. I don't think that anyone has the right to decide who lives or dies, let alone the government. The only solution is that if people, governments, and industries work together to make better use of resources, educate people on their responsibilities. Yeah, right, like that would ever happen....there are way too many greedy and irresponsible people.

-Mike Cross

Sculpting Thread|My Website| DeviantArt |My Blog
    -Also on FB and Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly x View Post
    stop building, stop having more than three children per household (Mormons will hate me)
    Sounds like this book I'm reading right now where the author tries to anticipate what society will be like when over population forces countries to adopt laws on the number of births couples can have and who can conceive based upon the probability for certain diseases in their genetic make-up. Was written in the 60s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stand_on_zanzibar

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.