Thanks

Smile artistic clothing

Hey there guys! first post!

I've been trying to talk to fashion people about this, but I think the art community might have more to offer me. I know you guys are experts on art and not fashion or clothing but....

I'm a professional (local) musician trying to find a look for himself. I've spent the last month thinking about it, and I'm having a lot of trouble because I don't really understand fashion/clothing.

Maybe you guys can help me find places to look!

I'm basicley trying to dress in a way that my clothes send the same message as my music:
    avante-garde
    aggressivley weird
    unique
    yet, very sophisticated

here is a sample of my music if you like:
    www.myspace.com/johndunlapjazz

When I gave that to the clothing guys they gave me designer suits that were cut kind of funny. I'm hoping the art crowd might know a designer or style that could give me somthing closer to what I mean by "avante-garde"

I'll take any suggestions!
    websites that sell clothes, or maybe a wiki article that might explain a style of clothing would be a big help too!

thanks so much for reading!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    Uhhhhhh... I wear like worn down jeans (black, grey, or dark blue), a black band t-shirt, and black sneakers every single day of my life.

Dude, by trying to be avant-garde you're never going to be avant-garde... that entirely defeats the point of avant-garde!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You might find some interesting examples at http://hel-looks.com/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Taneli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Kobrin View Post
    Uhhhhhh... I wear like worn down jeans (black, grey, or dark blue), a black band t-shirt, and black sneakers every single day of my life.

Dude, by trying to be avant-garde you're never going to be avant-garde... that entirely defeats the point of avant-garde!
    I agree, however I don't mean avantgarde as in literally the newest thing, and I definitley fear being a overdone, and poser looking but:

the gangs of street-clothes wearing musicians these days sort of blue together.

What I'm going for is:
    This is Strange! yet fascinating?

and, I mean strange, is the grotesque expressionist way.

My music is meant to elicit a sort of joyful "what the?" kind of feeling. My dress is eliciting a "hangs out at a music shop" kind of feeling.

thanks taneli
    that link had some interesting things. Maybe a little too much of the standard "indie" look for me.

thanks everyone for your help so far

Thanks
    I did some video for Dan Zanes and his troupe, you might want to check out their very peculiar, joyful approach to costume.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,221 Times in 134 Posts
    I have some friends that are artist, they make clothes and they sell them here
    http://www.fiveanddiamond.com/ they have a store in sf at 510 valencia street,

here are some other artists i know that make clothes http://www.ayyawear.com/
    they also designed and sell the boots that the klingons wore in the latest star trek Movie

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Android For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts
    Personally, I would say just wear whatever you would normally wear. If I were in a band, I'd probably go out on stage in a t-shirt, jeans and socks. I don't really have any issues with people who want to strive for a certain look either, but if you're making the music you like, then maybe the clothes you like would already be a fine fit.

One thing that annoys me a lot though, is art majors who put a lot of effort into dressing 'artsy' or 'indie', and then don't really strive towards becoming an actual artist that much... so make sure your focus is always on the music!

Oh, and thanks for the links, Android. I've been needing to start building a fashion reference library for my character design, and this will be a good place to start.

Thanks
    That store is awesome Android. I'm not sure, but I bet I saw you wearing something from there in some picture (probably in some workshop).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Thanks for those links Andrew, seriously awesome stuff. I would love to do stuff like that some day! Makes me wish I had a ton of money. :]

Thanks

Smile

thank you andrew !

one thing I wish I understood is the differnce between all these dress shirts.

so far hookswords victorian store had the best stuff for my sound. If only it all came in purple....

Thanks
    Here are a few others. Some of Which are sold on the same site Andriod provided.

http://skingraftdesigns.com/
    I got a Jacket from This Crew myself sold here, but mine is black http://www.forgottensaintsla.com/726a.htm

http://www.forgottensaintsla.com/welcome.htm

http://www.deliciousboutique.com/

All that said, I wouldnt dress just to try and be artsy, buy the clothes because your into fashion and the styles. This stuff doesnt often come cheap so if your dressing to try have a look that isn't really you. You may end up allot of expensive clothes that just sit in a closet.

I wont claim to know you, so im guessing that you already know this.

Thanks

re

Be yourself and dress which ever way you think looks the best, and if you really have no personality wrap yourself in seran wrap, that would be original.

Thanks
    I think that as a musician, how you dress has a special significance because it serves as a visual signal to potential fans of the type of music you can offer them. For that reason, I don't necessarily agree with those who have told you to just "be yourself." Certainly just dressing "as yourself" might end up reflecting your taste in music, but you also have a need to use your clothing as a way to market yourself to your fans, and for that reason you might want to go a little above and beyond if you feel your performance requires it. After all, the costume is often part of the show.

That said, Andrew offered some great links and although I don't have any links for you I just want to wish you the best!

-----------------------------------------------------
    portfolio=ORANGEMANTIS.COM
    Blog
    SKETCHBOOK
    -----------------------------------------------------

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Katfayheirti For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    as a professional costume designer/.
    I would happily consult to see if we can find the perfect look for you
    To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    i would just wear like black sweatpants and black sweater every day. its like, so anonymous and styleless that it ends up being incredibly unique and stylish. wat

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Sad side-note; has anybody else noticed how comfortable their favourite apparel gets just before it dies?

My favourite trainers fit like a second skin now, but they're getting porous, and the left one squeaks and wheezes when I walk if it's been raining (at least, I HOPE it's the trainer)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 379 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Android View Post
    I have some friends that are artist, they make clothes and they sell them here
    http://www.fiveanddiamond.com/ they have a store in sf at 510 valencia street,

here are some other artists i know that make clothes http://www.ayyawear.com/
    they also designed and sell the boots that the klingons wore in the latest star trek Movie
    I've always thought you've got some REALLY nice clothing tastes. :>

Thanks
    1.) Find clothes you like
    2.) Put them on
    3.) ???
    4.) Profit

'N all that.

Thanks
    lookbook.nu
    I think for a band musician look, black skinny jeans and a shirt suits best.
    Look at photos of musicians such as Bob Dylan, muse, kings of leon etc.

Thanks
    It's difficult to be artistic with clothes in a convincing and un-tacky way, particularly for men. There is that occasional desire to express yourself via what you wear. I go between a lot of light bold colours, black stuff, grungey ripped jeans... also a lot of small children's coats that lead to occasional awkward looks from parents when they realise you're wearing the same thing as the six year old they're holding hands with.

(That doesn't express anything though. They're just cheap and comfortable.)

I've never really thought about what people wear as artists. Most here just go for Topshop, some of the girls make their own stuff.

Thanks