Thanks

Anyone know who drew Deathwing?

So the new WoW expansion was announced today, and with such news always comes amazing art. There are two images in particular which I am dying to find the artists (artist?) for:

The first (I could spend hours just looking at the zoomed in detail on this, holy shit): http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/wo..._Cataclysm.jpg

The second: (the backdrop image) http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/splash-cataclysm.htm

Anyone have any idea who drew either of these? My mind is thoroughly blown by the level of detail.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    It wasn't me, but those pics are delicious!

Thanks
    Yeah. The concept art on Deathwing immediately stood out for me when I went to the website.

It's very unfortunate the in-game model will most likely only be 10% as badass as what's in the artwork.

Thanks
    Considering the crazy ass detail in the artwork, I imagine that making the model half as badass and still practical would be pretty near impossible. However, I know fuckall about 3D (which I will be remedying soon), so maybe not.

You guys should check out pretty much any Blizzard concept art you haven't looked at yet. The Diablo III gallery has some really sick art as well. There's a lot of hit or miss work, but it's worth taking a look at. I want to find out how long those pieces took, hence my search for the artists.

Thanks
    The splash page on the cataclysm site is now my desktop background and I was wondering myself who did that. It looks so fucking awesome.

Thanks
    I dislike World of Warcraft as a whole... but I have to admit, it has some awesome concept artwork! The first image in particular just blew me away with all of the shiny detail...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    I dislike World of Warcraft as a whole... but I have to admit, it has some awesome concept artwork! The first image in particular just blew me away with all of the shiny detail...
    I agree. I can't believe they are coming out with ANOTHER expansion. They need to let their cash cow die. But... it can't be denied that they have some extroardinary talent there, and the art style of the game is one of my most favorite aspects of it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 516 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianWeeks View Post
    They need to let their cash cow die.
    Never look a cash cow in the mouth.

Thanks
    lol. the ironic part is i will probably end up getting it. It does look very creative, how they are going back and changing everything from the past.

Thanks
    Mr-Jack was the first to come to mind. I had to search for his other stuff but I find them similar.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=122981&page=7

not positive though.

Thanks
    They need to let their cash cow die.
    Why? Millions of people still play it (fortunately I am no longer among them), so what reason is there to let it die if people are still enjoying it and excited for new expansions?

Thanks
    I love the game - something to do with my sig. other when we just want to stay home, but do something more interactive than a movie. And I like being able to chat with my friends in other parts of the country about random silliness; it's like getting together and chatting over a board game when that's not reasonable once a week.

The new expansion looks like it's going to be something really special.

Thanks
    Oh boy, scary snowplow face

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ninjerk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I agree. I can't believe they are coming out with ANOTHER expansion. They need to let their cash cow die.
    I read this everywhere. It's a cash cow, but there's a very good reason why it became a cash cow. It's not like it magically happened.

The game has improved drastically and steadily since the day I bought it during its release in 2004 and there's no sign of stopping. It's probably the first MMO that caters very well to the casual market (though it wasn't always this accessible before) which stopped previous and future MMOs from succeeding. Millions still love the game for a reason, which does not include me because it was becoming too addictive .

I think every game designer and artist need to take notes on why WoW got to where it is today rather than call for its death Age of Conan (which I've also played very briefly) actually reached 1 million players much faster than WoW ever did, but great design always wins out and AoC sank faster than the Titanic.

Thanks
    Another expansion? I just canceled my subscription because I no longer have the time to play.

Those are really sick dragon pics...no idea who did the artwork. I do know a few WoW artists, though. I agree with what Alex Chow said...the artwork is one of the strong points of the game--stylized, over-the-top art is continually inspiring and appealing to many people. It does help to have good game design, too.
    -Mike Cross

Sculpting Thread|My Website| DeviantArt |My Blog
    -Also on FB and Twitter

Thanks
    If you look at the top, there are indications that suggest the Deathwing piece is a paint-over of a Z-Brush model. This leads me to believe that it is a collaborative work done by several artists - hence, why it's not signed.

I had the opportunity to speak with some of Blizzard's cinematic concept artists last year, when they put out their excellent Art of The Wrath of the Lich King book, and asked them why they didn't include credits for specific artists under each image. They explained that some pieces are a group effort - sometimes they go through so many hands it becomes difficult to tell who worked on what. I'd wager that's the case here.

In any case, wonderful work.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sfa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    WoW won't stop making expansions. Even classic everquest is on something like it's 16th expansion and people still love playing it. So long as there are fans, there will be expansions.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

Thanks
    Bernie Kang perhaps? He's got a awesome concept in the Art of Wrath of the Lich King book of the dragon that Arthas summons in the Lich King intro cinematic.
    Chris Bowden
    http://www.artofbrain.com/ - Crawling back

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtZealot View Post
    WoW won't stop making expansions. Even classic everquest is on something like it's 16th expansion and people still love playing it. So long as there are fans, there will be expansions.
    The biggest reason to keep it alive is that they can afford to be adventurous with other franchises (not that Starcraft and Diablo were having problems with popularity).

Thanks
    It also helps fund the new franchise their working on. Blizz has a pretty solide track record, but even if this new project completely bombs, they won't really be hurting for money. [

Sfa: Yeah, I noticed that, but I was hoping someone might recognize the painting style. Ah well.

Thanks
    Damn. This looks like tons of fun. I wonder how many hours it takes to get through evrey quest, in evrey expansion pack.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kool-ka-lang View Post
    Damn. This looks like tons of fun. I wonder how many hours it takes to get through evrey quest, in evrey expansion pack.
    You will have to wait so long to get groups you'll probably not get them all done for a couple of years.