Page 44 of 53 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon_OND View Post
    Yo Kamber, good to see you putting so much effort in your tricycle! I must say, though, you're brave to try and draw this design, because it looks painful to draw! LOL
    Plenty of curves and ellipses which are a PITA.

I've since given up on trying to draw ellipses with 100% accuracy; as long as it looks right as part of the whole, it's more or less ok.

Now, we're awaiting your final finished product!

And Diarum, if you're reading this....where's yours? Maybe you need to have Kamber's dead squirrel stuffed into ye' mouth to spur you on! LOL
    I posted mine some time ago, you best go look!
    The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 887 Posts
    General Note: started a new job that emerged from an old job that went into some crazy hours before the transition-- thus, took an inadvertent "vacation" from my usual posting. Now-- back to it.

Couple digital Peck things to restart:

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Awwwwwww poor squirrel
    I hope you washed your hands

The sculpture on the last page was looking good! Also nice shading work in your anatomy studies!
    Insanity is the key!
    Also, studies are a key. And passion is a key. Also, so are inspiration, motivation and dedication. Talent can be a key. Insomnia can also be a key, depression is a sad rusty little key. Damn, artists need one hell of a keyring.

Current Sketchbook

My little webspace

My Old CA Sketchbook

Thanks
    kamber great work on the tricycle, but don't beat yourself up too much over smooth curves and such. I feel like i can tell from your linework when you are drawing relaxed and when you are not. your figure studies remind me of those drawings where you don't lift your pencil from the paper, IMHO that is you at your best. i would like to see the tricycle approached in this fashion. "Kamberized" as it were, lol. anywho, keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Hey PermaN00b!

Yeah, it's a slightly different sort of drawing-- trying to keep something in perspective boxes-- was really over-working the crap out of it.

Anyway. . . .

Cafe studies in graphite:

Man
    Girl

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I had a fun time looking at the first 10 pages of your sketchbook, that I'm subscribing.
    You have improved so much, keep it up.
    *** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Flashback For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aila View Post
    Awwwwwww poor squirrel
    I hope you washed your hands

The sculpture on the last page was looking good! Also nice shading work in your anatomy studies!
    Hey Aila! Pardon my faux pas, again, of not replying to you after such a long hiatus! Heh! I always use surgical gloves when handling my little dead friends.

Flashback-- thanks for the kind word and the drop in! (I've always kinda hoped that people would find this book a bit more fun than the others. . .)

Anyway. . . .

I'm pretty far behind on the Daily, with work and all, so I figured that I'd dump in the images from a whole 3 hour life session and a few pages of post life problem solving to play (a bit of) catch up.

3 Hour Life Study: 15 2 min. gestures/5 20 min. studies. Yeah, my proportions ARE bad-- sped through all of these to try to work on rendering some form and structure.

4 pages of rough form and value studies-- trying work on plans for quickness in laying in form, being more decisive in laying in values-- ref = various fineart.sk images.

Thanks
    Extended Journal-like Comment:

(I'm getting back to this SB after my day job enlarged to a couple of back-to-back 80 hour weeks. I'm assured that this is not normal. And, I should now be on a more sane schedule.)

I've probably lost too much time to finish up 365 images for this year. But, ya never know. . . I'll still consider 100 images a "Book" and 365 images a "Volume" and just keep drawing, regardless.

MISSION STATEMENT

My goal, now, is to make the jump from persistent hobbyist to legitimate amateur artist. (By "amateur" I mean professional grade work worthy of financial compensation, though without the compensation-- sort of like an Olympic athlete.)

My focus is on two areas: Becoming an independent cartoonist and/or a fine arts watercolor painter with a focus on nature and animals. Admittedly, making a serious living in either of these areas is a statistical long shot. But, I'll see if I can make it to being a real amateur then worry about the rest when the time comes.

To the above ends, I've identified directions I must take with my time from here on:

1. Focusing on producing actual comic strips.
    2. Focusing on producing actual paintings.
    3. Mastering Life Drawing to the extent that I am able.
    4. Learning Digital Painting.

Thus, the bulk of my "studies" and "sketches," from hereon, will be roughs and developmental work for 1 and 2 above. (The Daily in my SB, here, will turn into a sampling of these or a 20 minute random sketch on days I'm doing more abstract or book learning tasks).

I'm trying to hit a least 1 local Life Drawing session per week. But, in achieving #3 above I feel that I can't go it alone. So, eventually, this is going to involve hopping on a plane down to So Cal and attending some workshops of the "Modified Reilly" sort.

Same deal with some watercolor workshops-- I neither need nor want to spend 2 to 4 years in "art school," but I don't think I can bring my skills to a fine edge without some live correction/instruction from people who know what they're doing.

As to digital, I'm in no real hurry. I gather that most community college type classes are very elemental. But, signing up for a class would qualify me for student discounts on the better software. Per Art Discussion discussions, getting better at trad art will lay the foundation for good digital practice. And, I'm guessing that most good digital instruction out there is probably through downloads and DVDs.

ANYWAY-- all that is just to focus my mind on the direction I'm headed. . .

Guy working on his SB, 25 min., graphite.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Not going to lie, he looks like he is beating his meat......lol
    The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Diarum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Diarum: yeah, go draw! Oddly, sorta puts my long-winded manifesto into a certain perspective. . .

Below is from today's life drawing (sans gestures). Graphite in the old 8.5 X 11 Canson book. Trying to be intuitive on measuring (fails a bit). Trying to see and draw volumes as opposed to outlines. Pretty scant on modeling-- but, I'll get there as I get tighter on the volumetric thing.

Probably do future life on newsprint or laid paper with charcoal pencil or vine, respectfully. Charcoal pencil on newsprint is much more "responsive" than graphite on lightly toothed paper. Plus, you can "punch out" much better darks. Otherwise, vine is probably the best tool for studying and knocking out values most efficiently.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ha ha I had to laugh at your 'mission' post and Diarum comment. Great goals though and it's good to have you back. I shall continue to enjoy watching your progress.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamber Parrk View Post
    Extended Journal-like Comment:

(I'm getting back to this SB after my day job enlarged to a couple of back-to-back 80 hour weeks. I'm assured that this is not normal. And, I should now be on a more sane schedule.)

I've probably lost too much time to finish up 365 images for this year. But, ya never know. . . I'll still consider 100 images a "Book" and 365 images a "Volume" and just keep drawing, regardless.

MISSION STATEMENT

My goal, now, is to make the jump from persistent hobbyist to legitimate amateur artist. (By "amateur" I mean professional grade work worthy of financial compensation, though without the compensation-- sort of like an Olympic athlete.)

My focus is on two areas: Becoming an independent cartoonist and/or a fine arts watercolor painter with a focus on nature and animals. Admittedly, making a serious living in either of these areas is a statistical long shot. But, I'll see if I can make it to being a real amateur then worry about the rest when the time comes.

To the above ends, I've identified directions I must take with my time from here on:

1. Focusing on producing actual comic strips.
    2. Focusing on producing actual paintings.
    3. Mastering Life Drawing to the extent that I am able.
    4. Learning Digital Painting.

Thus, the bulk of my "studies" and "sketches," from hereon, will be roughs and developmental work for 1 and 2 above. (The Daily in my SB, here, will turn into a sampling of these or a 20 minute random sketch on days I'm doing more abstract or book learning tasks).

I'm trying to hit a least 1 local Life Drawing session per week. But, in achieving #3 above I feel that I can't go it alone. So, eventually, this is going to involve hopping on a plane down to So Cal and attending some workshops of the "Modified Reilly" sort.

Same deal with some watercolor workshops-- I neither need nor want to spend 2 to 4 years in "art school," but I don't think I can bring my skills to a fine edge without some live correction/instruction from people who know what they're doing.

As to digital, I'm in no real hurry. I gather that most community college type classes are very elemental. But, signing up for a class would qualify me for student discounts on the better software. Per Art Discussion discussions, getting better at trad art will lay the foundation for good digital practice. And, I'm guessing that most good digital instruction out there is probably through downloads and DVDs.

ANYWAY-- all that is just to focus my mind on the direction I'm headed. . .

Guy working on his SB, 25 min., graphite.
    Kamber is finally back!

Great to see you listing so many clear objectives, at least now you've much more defined goals and that should aid in further improving your skills!

As for digital painting, our teacher recommended us to get this James Gurney book: http://www.amazon.com/Color-Light-Gu...9847896&sr=8-1
    I've just bought one and its on the way here.

May you become a great cartoonist + realist nature painter one day!

Thanks
    Marian: Diarum has a knack for putting me in my place about the time I really need it! (Gotta catch up with your SB and those of several other who have commented earlier).

Xeon: Good to be back! My goals are pretty basic-- "start making real stuff" about sums it up. Though, some instruction I think is sorely needed to avoid "re-inventing the wheel" in many areas.

Got the Gurney book! Will probably buy the other one soon-- Imaginative Realism.

Re future: the really weird thing would be if I someday ended up producing professionally relevant sculpture as an off-shoot to my maquette making.

Anyway. . .

Downtime allowed me to attend a life session that I usually can't make during normal business hours-- more graphite in the 8.5 X 11 Canson book-- always a great size for scanning. . .

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Anyway, in keeping with the manifesto and trying to get the Daily to be a Daily again:

a page of coon roughs from a National Geographic book on coons I bought from Goodwill for ref.

Thanks
    This is a couple pages of re-working the coon characters and a rough of their human companion. My project goal, for now, is working up a professional grade "model sheet" for 3 distinct coons and a human I call "Vicky," who may be suffering from severe mental illness or may actually be living with three talking raccoons.

[Yep! This SB is going to get pretty bad before it gets better. . .]

[Probably, get around to resurrecting my "Yurmby Wheel" after Life Drawing tomorrow.]

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Page 44 of 53 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 LastLast