Thanks

Guild Wars 2 Trailer...holy crap

Seriously,
    WATCH IT

I've been working as an environment artist with dreams of concept art, in the video game industry for almost 3 years now, and in the military sim world for 2 before that. I have to say things got a little muddled about why I wanted to do what recently has seemed thankless and soul-draining (and unstable, as I just got laid off with 90% of my company) in the first place...it totally sucked the life out of why I wanted to work in video games to begin with.

Then I watched that trailer...holy shit, it's like having the dust and grime wiped away from my eyes to be reminded of why I wanted to be involved with this industry to begin with. A HUGE thank you to the entire ArenaNet team for relighting my fire. FUCK YEAH.
    Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cthogua For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Watched this yesterday. I'm surprised people don't do this type of trailer more often considering how concept art tends to look better than the actual games.

I'm not a Guild Wars type of player but it looks badass.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 755 Posts
    It's all masterfully done and taken to the limits but honestly I've seen so much of this type of heroic fantasy art that it doesn't work on me anymore. I almost forgot what I saw.

Sigh...I sometimes wonder if I'm too old for being concept artist.

Thanks
    Farvus, I know what you mean about the saturation of heroic fantasy, and to be honest I've been largely ignoring ALOT of 3D stuff lately. However it reminded me that it was that kind of stuff that really got me excited to begin with, and made me want to do what I do. I remember back when I was first learning 3D stuff and every crazy rendered image of damn near anything was astounding...now that I've been doing it for a few years...seen all those images, seen them repeated ad infinitum the impressed effect wore off as the jadedness grew. However I was recently laid off and it's caused me to really think about what I'm doing in the game industry vs where I really want to be, and what I want to be working on. I let too much dust collect on my dreams and fantasies and largely forgot what they looked like, and what it felt like to see something and just think "FUCK YEAH" To be honest I've never played a single one of the Guild Wars games, but the posts of the concept art on here have always blown my socks off. It reminds me to shake off the layer of boredom and jadedness and to try to bring my own visions to life with as much intensity as I can transform into pixels.
    Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

Thanks
    I watched this the day it was released, and several times over... it's just amazing! I'm a dedicated Guild Wars fan and player, having played it since the first game was released, so I jusy HAD to see the trailer. Brilliant artwork!
    It's the first trailer I have seen like it, and my god I fell in love with it instantly! The downside is, is that it's so good I wish the game would be released sooner, although by the look of the trailer alone... its going to be amazing when it's finished.

Thanks
    Love the designs and enviroments, very fresh. And I'm usually not into heroic fantasy kind of stuff.

Thanks
    Was awesome seeing the concept art animated like that. I believe it's animated using after effects, I've been meaning to learn how to do it.
    The environments in the game look really fantastic. They got an amazing art department.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 655 Posts
    Good to see more older motion mediums being put to good use.

The artwork is undoubtedly great, however I didn't find the video all that exciting. The editing leaves much to be desired.

I was instantly reminded of this video from awhile back in the same style, using simpler artwork but in my opinion has far more punch, due to the great editing.