Art: Sculpey usage technique
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Sculpey usage technique

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sculpey usage technique

Hello

New to this forum as well as to Sculpey. (So please excuse my rookie questions)

I am beginning a project where I will be (likely) using Super Sculpey, since I have several pounds of it available.

I am creating a sculpt which I need to build up in layers.
    I intend on working the sculpey to soften it.
    I will roll the sculpey into 1/4" thick flat pieces.
    I will cut these into strips. The strips will be apx 1/4" x 1/4" x 12" lengths.

I need to create something which is topographical in nature. So imagine having a topographical map of a terrain, with all the curves denoting each elevation change. I will have printouts of each elevation change.

I intend on applying the sculpey strips along the curvature of each elevation and cutting along those given lines.
    I then need to take each layer of sculpey and attach (lay) it upon the previously made layer.

(Imagine taking one of your completed soft-sculpts and slicing it into 1/4" sections and then having to put it back together)

Now since I will only be able to slightly smooth the 'joint' between the finished surface I am concerned that there may be cracking that will occur revealing the layer 'breaks'.

I will be able to work together the 'unseen' side of the scupley to bind it more firmly.
    But, in essence, only 2 sides will be sealed together. (the visible face and the unseen face.)

I am pretty sure you may understand my concerns about there being "air' gaps between the 'layed on' layers, as well as possible cracking.

Any recommendations ?

I would like to take the finished sculpt(s) and use them as the master molds. for silicone pour and final plaster products.

I'm not sure if I will be 'required' to bake the sculpey once the model is complete to make the molds from (??) Or if I would be able to apply some type of release to the 'raw' sculpey and create the mold in this way. The benefit of the latter would be that no cracking would occur while the sculpey is in it's raw form.

Please advise with any suggestions you may have.
    I do not 'have' to use super sculpey, so if you suggest something else that sounds like it will work well, please advise.

Please remember, I am a novice in this, but I am not afraid of learning.
    I work in digital 3d medium and it has been a while since I have done any true physical sculpting.

Thank you for your time and efforts to assist me.

Last edited by Etcha_Sketch; August 21st, 2009 at 09:59 AM. Reason: more info
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.