Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Painter zoom out / rotate function

hi everyone

i'm having a hard time viewing clearly my drawings while I either rotate or zoom out to an "irregular" percentage (anyother then 50% or 25%). I'm using painter ver 9.5

I did check/enable the "draw zoomed out views using averaging" under the preferences, but the drawing is still pixelated as before. Is there any update/fix/patch for this issue? its really annoying because cheaper products (moneywise) like OpenCanvas keeps the drawing crisp clear when rotated and/or zoomed out.

Thanks in adv
    Lee

*edit - i know this was asked before but the suggestion was always to enable that option...which still didnt work*

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Do you have the latest drivers for your graphics card installed?
    I'm running Painter IX.5 as well and it works just fine, always has.

There's likely some jagging of edges to occur when rotating or zooming, but your image should still be displayed relatively well.

Thanks
    well i'll try re-updating my video cards maybe it helps; but i'm sure they're more recent then the painter version itself.

I will also post a screen shot after the update just in case

Thanks
    Do you mean ctrl 0? It'll zoom out 100% or ctrl - or + And sometimes your resolution has something to do with it too.

You can visit me at my new blog Musings & Quips of an Artist

I'm out to conquer the world equipped with a pencil, digital paint and a
    Sketchbook
    and when I do achieve that goal...I'll conquer the moon too

"When you draw nervously you end up with a nervous drawing, so drawing strongly produces lines filled with vitality"- Nightow Yasuhiro

"Use the ability you already have, and use it, and use it, and make it develop itself."-Robert Henri

Thanks
    i've updated the video card driver but its still the same

here's a screen shot how it looks like at 100% zoom rotate - the one on the left is another application

I know it might not look that bad, but i draw mostly thin lineart more then color painting, and worst thing is that i do not draw at a 3000px resolution as i've got limited hardware
    (my screen res is 1280x800)

Painter zoom out / rotate function

Thanks
    For thin lineart there's nothing better than Paint Tool SAI's ink layer, Painter simply doesn't anti-aliase the viewing, it does if you check "Draw zoomed out blabablalb..." but it's quite slow.

Also what brushes are you using in Painter? For inking stick to the Scratchboard pen or whatever it's called, it uses the brilliant Rendered engine which is ultra responsive and perfect for ink lines.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Portus View Post
    For thin lineart there's nothing better than Paint Tool SAI's ink layer, Painter simply doesn't anti-aliase the viewing, it does if you check "Draw zoomed out blabablalb..." but it's quite slow.

Also what brushes are you using in Painter? For inking stick to the Scratchboard pen or whatever it's called, it uses the brilliant Rendered engine which is ultra responsive and perfect for ink lines.
    Paint Tool SAI is another application thought isnt it?

as for the inking i use the pens cartegory. they almost all do the same if the settings are alike

as for the 'draw zoom ... ' option it still doesnt do anti-alias even if checked

Thanks
    AFAIK, it's just the way it works in Painter. The visual renderer is just very, very crappy. I suspect the very slow brushes also to be blamed on bad code rather than insane complexitiy. Trying Artrage then Painter is a spit in the face of Corel's coders. That said Artrage is too much of a toy to be an option for serious work.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,855 Times in 601 Posts
    The pixellation only happens in rotate, which doesn't use anti-aliasing. Zoom-only can be smoothed using the Area Averaging option.

Quote Originally Posted by Grégory Makles View Post
    That said Artrage is too much of a toy to be an option for serious work.
    Nonsense.

Thanks
    I'd be very happy if I am wrong. I find the soft to be very well coded and smartly designed (something I wouldn't say about Painter, quite the opposite actually). I'd love to switch to it. But let's face it :
    - no custom brushes, you've got one of each kind and that's it. WTF ?
    - no tool to ink with.
    - stencils is actually what you have in plenty of other soft with less control and fancy display.

That said it would not need a lot of things to become a serious option. Add a real airbrush (Painter has the lead for that), the ability to create a custom brush library (with keyb shortcut like in paint sai), a grid, a selection tool, some pen/felt pen tools and we'd start to get something very cool.

I must confess thus that my perspective is one from a comic book artitst rather than illustrator (also I do some painting for covers sometimes). No doubt you can use Artrage in addition to other soft (it completes well with Paint Tool SAI for instance) but this is the kind of workflow I try to avoid.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,855 Times in 601 Posts
    Depends what you're looking for. AR does have a basic tool set but it's meant to replicate traditional painting, and if you paint traditionally you just have one canvas and a brush. AR would benefit from a few extras, most of which will likely be implemented in V3, but it's perfectly usable in its current form if, like me, you don't bother with complex workflow. I painted my last three pieces 95% in AR, just using Painter to neaten up the blending right at the end. It's nowhere near as comprehensive as Painter but it does what it does incredibly well.

Thanks
    Ok, this is getting OT but when I am painting IRL I do have several brushes, pen, etc.
    I like your painting and I'd be very happy to see what you can do with AR BTW. PM welcome !

My comic book blog (french).. Some draws by Vincent Makles, some by me...

Thanks
    AR is a gimmick, everything is a gimmick in that program, I've only seen one person use it and not look like it was made in AR, it has quite some issue like the cursor not being precise, using the pencil tool is a proof of this. Plus it's incredibly limited and not in a good way, you have to export and import the PSD files, how tiresome is that?

If Painter has the auto-painters, AR has the auto-tracers with the stencils.

Simply put AR is a toy for the hobbyist to play and that's perfectly fine, it doesn't change the fact that an incredible talented person with it could make amazing works, after all there are persons who do incredible work with the worse/basic tools. I would not recommend AR2.5 to any serious artist, the tools are simply too crappy, they all look bad apart from the oils which only have one look and it is a very slow program.

SAI is like a light version of Painter with full anti-aliasing and neat original and usable tools. AR is a joke that got too far, I hope that AR3 changes this because even the developers are aware of this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.