View Poll Results: Change the Domain from Conceptart.org to Theartdepartment.org?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Conceptart.org - CA.ORG

52 53.61%
  • Theartdepartment.org - TAD.ORG

14 14.43%
  • Undecided

8 8.25%
  • Kvick should stop smoking crack blunts

28 28.87%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

Thumbs down TAD.org???? The future of the world as we know it is in Jason MAnley's hands,episode5

EDIT: Okay since I guess I didn't make it clear enough with the title or poll choices that this thread is infact...
    NOT A SERIOUS POST

But since I've become aggrovated, here goes...

I just wrote this out because it would be more interesting to read than "I don't like it, opinions?" I see people who post those as boring, flat people, though it's probably not true, I don't care (I imagine they're the same people that ask me "what's up?" and have nothing else to say, if that's you, I don't like you, this is more SARCASM BTW if you couldn't interpret that either). If i seriously wanted to sway Jason Manley's mind about the direction I wouldn't post it in the lounge first off, and he'd probably just disagree because i'm sure he knows a helluva lot more than I do about the topic of business.

I love jason and I trust him on these kind of decisions more than I probably ever would myself. He's just created a site that has literally shifted my entire life, and im sure tons others. CA.org has become more than just a website to me. Had I never found ca, I would definitely not be in artschool at this very moment, I would have never had the motivation to start working towards a career when I was a sophomore in highschool, and I probably would be with my stoner friends at the community college across the street from my highschool, not knowing what to major in, smoking weed everyday just to make it through the monotony of community college, only taking required courses because my parents were making me.

THIS is the life I see nearly ALL of my old friends taking, none of them are doing SHIT with their lives. If it weren't for CA I would probably be in their very same situation.

Or say I did want to draw for whatever reason, without CA, being CONCEPTART.ORG that attracted my attention in the first place(I saw other sites like CGTalk, didn't click them, for some reason this one got my attention), I'd be probably doodling shitty anime, maybe posting on deviant art (that was the first site I clicked on) with no sense of anatomy probably wouldn't even get to the idea of painting. The first thread I clicked on in CA is the one that really sparked my interest in art, it was a sketchbook thread by Crunch (His sketchbook doesn't have any working links in it anymore btw). After that I wanted to find more, I found Marko's thread second, the one with the starfish drawing, and THAT thread was the one that convinced me that I wanted to become a professional artist in some form or another, at that point I didn't even realize drawings like that could be done, it was an intense realization.

In Conclusion and in short: I care about what Jason has manifested, it's fucking awesome, if it popped up as Theartdepartment.org I honestly don't think I would have clicked it leading my life to this. Does anybody else have opinions, about the name? I AM NOT TRYING TO SERIOUSLY CHANGE JASON'S MIND, it's his company, he'll do whatever he wants to it.

Also the tags I put were an inside joke between my old government teacher and I, if it's super-necessary to remove it, be my guest, after all... it was only a joke.

Here's the original post below.

Does anybody else think that changing the domain name from Conceptart.org to Theartdepartment.org could have a.... different name?

No offense and I understand why you'd want to change it to accept a broader audience, but I think the name is bollocks. Department in the name just reminds me of Michael's Arts n crafts or some tacky art place that no one walks into, with plastic flowers everywhere.

I don't really know how to express my thoughts on this, I just personally don't like the name change, CA.ORG just sounds legit as fuck and it's become so huge on its own, changing to TAD.org would be like.... just not as cool.... I don't wanna be goin through the hallways at school askin people if they checked out the new epic masterpiece at TAD, ya get what I'm sayin??? probably not, I don't know, any other opinions?
    Last edited by Kvick; August 21st, 2009 at 11:03 AM. Reason: miscommunication

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    It destroyed my day when I saw the email this morning. TAD is pretty lame.

Thanks
    I didn't receive any email, is this for real? I don't like it =/

Thanks
    I think they are still keeping conceptart.org running though, when it comes down to it, it does sound a little tacky, but to me it doesn't really matter so long as this site remains as is.

Thanks
    "What's in a name? That which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet."

who cares, eatpoo is called eatpoo and it used to be huge.
    [

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Taj For This Useful Post:

m@.

Thanks
    First a thunderstorm now this (I honestly can't decide which is worse).

Thanks
    snazzy choice of tags.

Thanks
    Honestly, I don't care about the name, but really like the actual one.

Thanks
    Do not fret for Manley is a marketing Jedi and will guide us true.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Old news.

I mean it is still on the same page of your post http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=165628

If it was a problem, should have brought it up there.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I don't know if I'd call your post very well-reasoned or persuasive, with all the "man it's cool" and "legit as fuck" in there it makes you look like a crazy 16 year old (edit: and yeah, the tags don't help).

If you've ever went to art highschool/college, "The Art Department" would sound more like the actual art department of your school, rather than give you images of kinkade prints being sold alongside scratchy $9 sketchbooks. Seeing as how CA has always felt as if it had paint on the walls and stained plastic plates used as palettes stacked up in the corner, the art department brings out what I've always felt about CA: it's the place to learn.

That said, I'm still against the name change, mainly for consistency's sake.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    jason I don't know if you could tell by the title, or the poll choices. It's not a very serious thread. I was just wondering if anyone else had opinions about it. But our administration still values your support to our cause

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    I like it cause it's like a department from art to the future. We are departing on a great adventure together to discover new things and new places and make new friends together. In conclusion, theartdepartment is my choice for new title. I can not wait to embark on this journey.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckWeisel View Post
    I like it cause it's like a department from art to the future. We are departing on a great adventure together to discover new things and new places and make new friends together. In conclusion, theartdepartment is my choice for new title. I can not wait to embark on this journey.
    This message and you avatar match in a way, so perfect that I cannot describe. I love it.

Thanks
    Jason! I'm all for name changes but please figure out a better one! One that doesn't sound like it came from college or something...

Thanks
    Could just be that I'm so used to this place and it feels sad to move into a new house and leave the old one behind, but the art department just sounds so generic. CA has energy and flare
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    CA and the conceptart.org domain aren't going away. There's simply going to be an umbrella domain linking CA with other, less boobs-and-rayguns focused types of art.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

21. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Theirs Art withOUT ray guns and Boobies

BLASPHEMY
    -Demo-
    -Sketch Book Updated Sporadically-
    My Blog
    Tumbler & Wookmark (finished pieces and Cool stuff I find)
    -Facebook(always on but never post)-

If you see me on FB, or CA Talk to me, never to busy to talk and love to hear from you, chat me up about anything (Music, Games, art, ect)
    If anyone is interested in streams or hangouts let me know!

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Demo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Personally, I don't like the name change.
    'The Art Department' sounds small and cozy to me... not quite indicative of what CA has become.
    Not to mention, there is already a very well know blog called "The Art Department", which has a large following amongst SFF Illustrators.
    - Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DSillustration For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah, I was wondering about that, too. If the new domain has anything to do with that. I think the art department, and I think of Irene's ste.

Thanks
    I really don't know how I feel about the name to be honest, but does anyone have an alternative to suggest?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphotic Phoenix View Post
    I really don't know how I feel about the name to be honest, but does anyone have an alternative to suggest?
    Agreed there. If you're not agreeing with something don't just whine about it but come with solutions. Everyone can complain, but most people fail to think a little further down the road while doing so.

It took me a while to get used to the new name too, and I'm still a little concerned as to the effects, but I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with the actual name as much as with the fact that I'm so used to Conceptart.org and what it stands for.

Humans are naturally afraid of rapid or big changes, but once they're over and people are settling in their worst fears usually are already forgotten. I think the name 'The Art Department' is as good as any, and at least more descriptive than some others I could think of. The fact that Irene Gallo's blog is named similarly is unfortunate but is being worked on from what I gather.

Edit: Also, your poll is misinformed as the Conceptart.org part of the site, along with its' domainname is going to remain in place as far as I know. There's just going to be added parts outside of CA, and the whole thing is going to be called TAD.

Also, I think the tone you hit in the first post is not going to help your cause, really.
    Last edited by yoitisi; August 21st, 2009 at 04:03 AM.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 797 Posts
    I'm not a huge fan of TAD but I am glad the name is changing. I think "conceptart.org" is a misnomer considering that there are a lot of artists here who are working and developing themselves in the general area of illustration but not necesssarily conceptual art. I think having such a specific domain name could easily deter artists who are not familiar with the site and assume it's a community for concept art only.

I'm more curious to see how dividing the site into general art disciplines will work out and how it will be organized.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Well like I said earlier, my problem is that barely anyone says anything on Jason's thread about it, but then kinda start... "shitposting" in a new thread about the name change especially the OP. It kinda looks cowardly. I mean all I see are a bunch of Thanks on his post about the changes then over here...it looks so detached or childish in a way :/

so the name isn't exciting, but the old name isn't going away either.

Edit - I'm also killing the non relevant tags.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    CA and the conceptart.org domain aren't going away. There's simply going to be an umbrella domain linking CA with other, less boobs-and-rayguns focused types of art.
    Amish art?

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyskoa For This Useful Post:

The7Artist7 is offline I'll have a double Rocktastic with added awesome please
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 559 Posts
    - edited as I re-read my post and felt I was a little o.t.t. also I do think the expansion is an awesome thing-

Now I just want to make clear I disagree with the wording of the original post as I find it disrespectful but agree with the feeling

I'm not for putting down Jason (as he rocks!) but in my eyes right now 'theartdepartment.org' is not the best choice.

When I heard the new name this was my reaction:

----------------------

1 - I quite simply don't like the name - feels a bit too clinical and bland

2 - is long-winded to quote to friends etc (doesn't flow off the tongue as conceptart.org does)

3 - there is already that other blog that seems to be well known

4 - does it really describe what the new site will be about... ?? to me, not particularly well - 'department' immediately gives me the impression of a shop or store. A place to go and purchase something - cool but not anything like the buzzing community I've come to know CA is.

---------------------

Now I'm kinda getting more used to the idea of the change but still would rather a different name if there's the option

I will now go see if it relevant to repost this in the other thread or send it as a PM to Jason (edit: I breifly read through the other thread and enough people brought up the name issue for Jason to be aware of it)

At the end of the day it will be what name it will be and I'm certain due to the excellent people running the sites and the community CA.org has, that TAD.org would become known to be as awesome.
    Last edited by The7Artist7; August 21st, 2009 at 10:00 AM.

Thanks
    Why not call it NAD.org (gNarly Art Dump, National Art Depository, Neo Art Display, Ninny Achh Dooo, ....etc.) or RAD.org (Really Awesome Designs, Rapturous Art Decadence, Rad Awesome Dood, Rockin All Dimensions, Royal Art Department (for the brits here ), Rebel Art Development, Revolutionary Art Divination,...etc)

-TeT-
    Keep your dream alive - Feed it daily!

"The true essence of swordsmanship is like the willow blowing in the gentle breeze" - Tesshu (someday my art will be like this)

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tetsuo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I second RAD

The7Artist7 is offline I'll have a double Rocktastic with added awesome please
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
    Why not call it NAD.org (gNarly Art Dump, National Art Depository, Neo Art Display, Ninny Achh Dooo, ....etc.) or RAD.org (Really Awesome Designs, Rapturous Art Decadence, Rad Awesome Dood, Rockin All Dimensions, Royal Art Department (for the brits here ), Rebel Art Development, Revolutionary Art Divination,...etc)

-TeT-
    lol that's awesome - yeh RAD! ...

... Hold on 'The Art Dimension' would be pretty cool - I know it's still 'TAD' but the vibe sits better for me.

anyways I've said enough - I'm sure it'll rock whatever I'm off to do art

39. The Following User Says Thank You to The7Artist7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I understand the need for a name change, but I do agree The Art Department feels a little like a budget trade school. While Concept Art has come to encompass far more than concept art, and will continue to grow in other directions, I'd be in favor of something less generic sounding.

However, that said, you can make a case for a more generic sounding name having a broader appeal and accessibility. Sometimes blunt and straightforward is exactly what you want to get your point across.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to J Wilson For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast