Thanks

What is Concept Art really?

I like this site a lot. I like to see serious discussion about art, from talented people, without flame wars and bullshit.

I am bit confused though: what is exactly "concept art"?
    that might be a stupid question, but I don't see it explained anywhere.
    Is it different from illustration and fine art?
    http://MacCreator.com
    http://domai.com
    http://stobblehouse.com

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    the basic definition of a concept artist i guess would be someone who creates an idea for film, games, industrial design (a bit of a different field, but the same idea) commercial products etc.

they are responsible for coming up with the ideas and turning them into visuals that can be used for final production, whether that be 3D for films and games, sculptures, props, sets, environments, creatures, cotumes, storyboards...its limitless i think =)

the true concept artist should be able to create anything asked of them ..its takes a broad range of artistic skill, something that many of us here (myself included ) are trying to accomplish.
    -------
    I wont fail now

Thanks
    I think people tend to be a little confused by the title of the site.

Concept Art = Ideas presented through a medium.
    Conceptual Artist = An artist who presents ideas.

A Concept Artist should equate A Conceptual Artist, but neither are neccessarily the same. Concept Design would make sense as a title for the site in place of Concept Art because most of the work presented here needs additional context to be successful. (i.e.: this is an important character because he/she will be part of a larger story).

If a drawing/painting is meant to support another body of work (a book, a game, an article), then it is an illustration. So, maybe Concept Illustration would work as a title. In any event, all of the above are facets of Art. So, maybe Concept Art is a fine title.

Chile
    P.S.
    A prime example of a Conceptual Artist would be Christo. Christo produces compositions that works on many levels beyond the visual presentation. He arrives at an idea, develops the idea, finds local support for the idea, then sells illustrations and studies of his idea to fund the idea as a project. With a staff sometimes numbering in the hundreds, Christo produces massive compositions that often utilize the environment (islands, water, mountains) and man made objects (umbrellas, buildings, statues, plactics) together.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Chile

A Concept Artist should equate A Conceptual Artist, but neither are neccessarily the same. Concept Design would make sense as a title for the site in place of Concept Art because most of the work presented here needs additional context to be successful. (i.e.: this is an important character because he/she will be part of a larger story).

If a drawing/painting is meant to support another body of work (a book, a game, an article), then it is an illustration. So, maybe Concept Illustration would work as a title. In any event, all of the above are facets of Art. So, maybe Concept Art is a fine title.

thats a very intersting point. i hadn't thought of the definition in that way but it does work.

IMO a concept artist is someone who can presents several visual ideas of an object whether it be an environment, product, or character...to help the project move along. Its more about finding a definition of a story line and creating a form that relates to the project, than making a pretty picture. The drawings have to be done faster than it would take a modeller to model, otherwise it would be simpler just to model it in the first place. Most importantly these visual cues are used to help everyone involved in the process keep on the same page.

Alot of the stuff I see here is a bit rendered out, more time is taken to make them beautiful pieces in themselves. I consider pieces like this illustrations. The proud pieces that you would show the public when you don't have a finished project yet.

Thanks
    I asked the same question some months ago... different thread, same topic

I liked the answer "playing god" the most... It has something.
    » hitchhiking... (progress thread)
    » circum

rising to fall

Thanks
    Exo wrote:
    Basically, it's self explanitory. I don't know why so many people have trouble grasping the idea. The ART is the CONCEPT your trying to realize. It's the development of subject matter for a variety of media; hense someone has to visualize it before it can exist in it's respective medium. it can be a simple character, environment, prop design or the visualization of a scene. the point is that it DOESN'T exist untill you think of it and visualize it. the idea itself is the art form, the rendering is simply a means of which to deliver it. It's the visual articulation of a concept.

You can see why people here might not appreciate fan-art or 500 nearly identicle chicks with swords or anime rip-offs. Don't get me wrong, it's great...the first ten or fifteen times you see it. What bugs us is that an art form the we pursue seriously is being trivialized. It's not that we don't want to mingle with people of lesser skill (by the way I make no claims about being especially good at what I do) it's that when we are trying to learn and benefit from eachothers skills and experience while others don't seem to know what to do here.
    ... I think one reason the site has these problems is that it is not explained upfront WHAT THE SITE IS ABOUT.

I had used the site for a week, before I found out that it was not about Art generally. I had never heard about artists working to make ideas for films and games.

I think the definition of Concept Art should be put up on the home page and other obvious places, like the FAQ.
    http://MacCreator.com
    http://domai.com
    http://stobblehouse.com