Sketchbook: Ardescoere's Sketchbook o' Doom

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ardescoere's Sketchbook o' Doom

Hi there,

Thanks for visiting my sketch book! It took me a lot of nerve to finally post some things here. But I figured it was about time I stopped being a chicken and put some things up here. So I want to be an artist. For various reasons I couldn't go to school for it, despite being accepted in to Sheridan in Toronto. It was a really hard day for me and it caused me to basically give up art for a year or two. I was so disappointed that circumstances had so screwed me I just lost all motivation. But about three months ago I was talking with my significant other and talking about the fact I had no direction of where I wanted to go and he asked me (like so many others have) why I didn't try to get into art more. I said well I couldn't go to school for it. He told me to stop being dumb. He said that if I really wanted to do it I could and to just get back into it. He told me that if I really wanted it school wouldn't matter, it's your portfolio. And well... he was right. I found concept art and started asking some questions and looking around. Now I love it here and spend time every day looking at everyone else's work. Now I want to work on mine. I have a long way to go, I am out of practice. But my goal is to get a job in the art industry. So any help I can get... I'd really appreciate it. Anything to get to my dream. So be hard on me, please. I want it!

I'd like to preface this and say I'm writing it from work so I'm posting some pieces of art to show where I was and where I am right now. But it's only the stuff I have access to from work so there's only three pictures lol. My drawings are my attempts at humans. I used to be terribly afraid of them. But now I'm finding that finding new pictures to draw (I've been using references recently although I want to do more life drawing) I'm looking for challenges. In the first image I had a TERRIBLE time trying to draw that woman's hair. I'd never done humans (I used to draw a lot of horses...) and their hair and hands was really difficult for me. The second one I'm posting is about a year later and it was a lot easier for me to draw the people, so I chose something new - white clothing. It was really difficult for me to learn how to do the shading values properly. And the last one, I decided a seriously black (done in charcoal) background and a woman with wet hair was going to be my challenge. That one isn't done yet, I haven't finished her hair. But it gives an idea of where I am.

But any kind of criticism or advice based on these, I'd really appreciate it.

I removed the really old pic and just left this one. As the other one was like 3 years old.

And then there is the one in the thumbnail which is the most recent.

Thanks!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jen Wardell; October 6th, 2011 at 09:59 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jen Wardell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The last one is great! Good tonal contrast and an exciting visual. The others don't have the depth that you generated in the third.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LauraGarabedian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That third one is just amazing. The shadows that you did there in that second one are real good. May ask what pencils you used? How exactly do you start shading by the way?

Add more stuff! This is really good. I'm also glad you decided to return to the art!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rolo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraGarabedian View Post
    The last one is great! Good tonal contrast and an exciting visual. The others don't have the depth that you generated in the third.
    Thanks Yeah that was to sort of show progression. They are in chronological order.

I'd really like to continue to practice with the depth though. I wish I could have gotten the brights brighter... Hmm.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, make sense

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
    That third one is just amazing. The shadows that you did there in that second one are real good. May ask what pencils you used? How exactly do you start shading by the way?

Add more stuff! This is really good. I'm also glad you decided to return to the art!
    I was using derwent pencils the graphic set of the 12 graphic sketching pencils. I also used various hardnesses of charcoal for the background. That one I don't know on the top of my head.

And the shading... Well first I would do an initial line art (obviously light) sketch of the figure and position. Then I'd move on to sort of... showing where the darker areas would be through light outlines. I think that's like a value outline. And then I'd start with the darkest parts on the upper left and move towards the bottom right. I mean I know you can see in mine I didn't necessarily stick 100% to that if I had things that were the same and continuous shade. But I did work on the graphite before I added the charcoal. Until I couldn't resist to add it anymore because I wanted to see her pop out of the page.

I always like to have the darkest parts done at the proper shade first because it gives me a guideline for all the other shades. If that makes sense?

I used to be afraid of going dark too... But I gues I got over that. I had an amazing art teacher in my final year of highschool and she helped me with that a lot. Just have to be able to take that risk and make the darks REALLY dark. (not lecturing, just repeating what she told me lol)

Thank you so much for stopping by though!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice pencils sometimes the values seem a bit off....keep an eye on them!!! an perhaps do experiments on how to draw hair
    keep drawing

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jatherip For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is alot of progression between the three images the last being the best. Its got alot more depth to it that you havent got in the fifrst two. Slightly coloured/tinted paper can help with that and using a white pencil to put in highlights instead of using the white of the paper gives you alot more control

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kovah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jatherip View Post
    nice pencils sometimes the values seem a bit off....keep an eye on them!!! an perhaps do experiments on how to draw hair
    keep drawing

Hi there,

Sorry the delay in reply, I've been off conceptart for a few weeks!

Thank you for the advice I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kovah View Post
    There is alot of progression between the three images the last being the best. Its got alot more depth to it that you havent got in the fifrst two. Slightly coloured/tinted paper can help with that and using a white pencil to put in highlights instead of using the white of the paper gives you alot more control
    Oh you know, it hadn't even crossed my mind to use a white pencil haha. It's a very good idea. I think I'll try that on the one I am working on now. I'm pretty excited about it but the white might brighten up the areas I really wanted to brighten and hadn't been able to. Thanks for the suggestion and comment

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    third one is good, although the other two i would suggest working on hair. It looks to stringy. Remember hair is in chunks.

Like the third one, especially the hair. You can tell it looks wet which is a good effect to learn.

My observational skills may be great but i said nothing about my drawing skills

My Blog/Tumblr

My Sketchbook - College Years

My Sketchbook - High School

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please comment on my deviant art I need friends T-T
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BUY MY SHIRTS PLEASE - They're awesome.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to My57 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi My57

Thanks for taking the time to comment. You're right the first two were terrible for hair lol. I think they are each a year apart. It was all I had on my work computer and I appear to be terrible at going on my computer at home and posting works here.

I think I really should look at non-wet look hair though and work on it Thanks though! I'll stop by your sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your value and depth in the third one are really nice. I'd suggest doing anatomy studies, life drawing, and master studies every week too.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to jeremygordon89 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The progression between the three pictures is great. I'd like to see some more stuff when you get a chance.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Dorkthrone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really great start to your sketchbook. definite improvement from the first piece to the third. I can't wait to see more from you, and I'll try to give actual critique next time rather then this fairly flat comment.

----------------------------------------
    -peace

25. The Following User Says Thank You to MilanDM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyg0rd0n View Post
    Your value and depth in the third one are really nice. I'd suggest doing anatomy studies, life drawing, and master studies every week too.
    thanks Jeremy

I've been doing quite a lot of anatomy studies, which I'll post tomorrow when I have the desire to fight with my scanner (it hates me, don't you know).

I'm interested in doing master studies, just haven't decided where to start. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjacat11 View Post
    The progression between the three pictures is great. I'd like to see some more stuff when you get a chance.
    Hey ninjacat thanks for the reply. I'll definitely be posting more, likely tomorrow sometime. I have a lot of updates to do. Hopefully you'll check back again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MilanDM View Post
    really great start to your sketchbook. definite improvement from the first piece to the third. I can't wait to see more from you, and I'll try to give actual critique next time rather then this fairly flat comment.
    Lol flat comments are better than no comments? I really do appreciate you stopping by though And next time I'll have more content on here, I promise... Hence the ssg lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As for master studies, you should make a folder of folders of artists you love, and save images of their work you'd like to draw from. Some good artists I like are:

Adam Hughes, Adrian Gottlieb, Alphonse Mucha, Arthur Rackham, Aubrey Beardsley, Barnaby Ward, Brom, Dustin Nguyen, Esao Andrews, Francis Vallejo, Frank Stockton, Gustave Klimt, James Jean, Jana Schi, Jeffrey Catherine Jones, Joao Ruas, Josh Middleton, M.W. Kaluta, Marco Nelor, Marko Djurdjevic, Matthew Woodson, Michael Parks, Michael Shantz, Michael Turner, Sam Weber, Yuko Shimizu

That's plenty to start with huh? : p

30. The Following User Says Thank You to jeremygordon89 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know, I think 40 would have been a more round number? Kidding hehe. That's great, thanks Jeremy!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 277 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I love the values in the third piece as well - I'd kill to be that good at realism!

Do make some drawings from imagination. I'd love to see those.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to crossmirage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by crossmirage View Post
    I love the values in the third piece as well - I'd kill to be that good at realism!

Do make some drawings from imagination. I'd love to see those.
    Thanks crossmirage I think you're right and I"ll be honest, I have a hard time drawing from imagination... I'm not quite sure how to get there though. So I decided lots of life study and anatomy lessons for myself might be in order. The more comfortable I am drawing those it should translate into imaginative drawings, right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, a good grasp on anatomy and lots of life drawings are important to imagination drawings, but the MOST important part is exactly what it's called imagination.

If you're gonna draw something from imagination make sure it's something that will hold your interest, otherwise it becomes a chore. And that's no fun at all.
    of course this statement doesn't apply as strongly to when the piece is a commission. haha.

----------------------------------------
    -peace

36. The Following User Says Thank You to MilanDM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I was at work and on lunch and had brought my sketchbook with me. The scanners here are terrible some of it looks washed out (I'll fix that when I get home) but this is a skeleton I drew, I'm trying to learn and remember the differnet aspects of the human body. And I think it's important to know the bone structure so I can better decide where muscles go.

I'll be doing front and back views as well as muscle overlays later today. It's really interesting and I'm enjoying it.

The references are in "Drawing the human body" by Giovanni Civardi.

I know it's only one pic but it's what I had at hand and I needed an update in here hehe.

Attached Images Attached Images  

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Jen Wardell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Ardescoere, that third portrait is awesome. Can't wait to see some more

40. The Following User Says Thank You to danlucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Danlucas I'll be posting more tonight!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like how your anatomy drawing is turning out.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Dorkthrone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks ninjacat I have more to post, I just got a little distracted yesterday while on my way to post then hehe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Finally got to say something in your SB here! Sorry it took me so long.

I can't say much as far as crits, mind you. I need to see more stuff. What I see though, is a good attention to detail with your pencils! Nice and clean, overall. I am curious about the pictures: When did you do the third in comparison to those two? I just want an idea of the progress you made. Looks like you had a comfortable amount of time, or were in a more comfy frame-of-mind with the third one. Hopefully, if that's the case, you'll get times like those more often!

I'll be very interested to see your progress with pictures. And I know it's tough to draw from imagination, but you will have to trust your imagination and bring out something--anything--on paper when your mind is whirling with ideas! See what you can do! It's hard for ME, my fears get in the way more often than not. So yeah, keep at it and let's see more!

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Jazz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey
    As everyone said already: Giant progress from the first to the last one.
    Did you use Foto reference? I kinda see it in the first and third one, not so much the second one. In the first one it didn't really work. Some proportions look off, the values are very shallow and the faces look a bit weird. The second one seems more from imagination, which is an important part. Values are a lot better as well.
    The last one is a good foto reffed image, but it still is fotoreffed, which isn't seen kindly in the art schools I know ( I live in Germany, so do not take my word for granted regarding your area! =D) I really like the hair, expression and especially values, but the foto reference kinda takes away the "soul" of the image, if you know what I mean. Your interpretation of the subject doesn't come through. It's still gorgeous though.
    Nice to see more studies. Give us your dirty work as well though! The fast sketches and scribbles. They can be a real goldmine.

Cheers

48. The Following User Says Thank You to Janos For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1