Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Think before thy posteth...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Wasp Think before thy posteth...

A very simple request for everyone posting on CA, and especially for those of us who post in the lounge. By its very nature the Lounge is a place that gathers all sorts of threads and posts, some more random and/or useless than others but in general on page 2 the original topic has been butchered already. It's a place to hang out in and have fun in, or to post emotionally laden stuff, and it's easy to overstep peoples boundaries (it's the Internet too, after all).

My question to everyone therefore is to please think before you make a post. Consider what you are writing and how it might be read by others.

This is a public place, and though it's the Internet it does not mean you have a right to act like (be) a dick on here, or to be dumb and stupid. In case you hadn't noticed, potential employers, collegues and friends are out here too. You don't want them to see your drunken puking pictures on Facebook, you don't want them to see you insulting entire halves of the population either.

I am fully aware that this thread is probably not going to help at all but I felt like posting it nonetheless, in the hope one or two of you stop and think for a second.

Also, it's probably way too much text for the lounge...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and i was just about to delete my last post in that thread, was like a slow motion train wreck

dan's sketchbook

The ssg with no name.. for now
    NRX - Frasermct - Walid D - The wannabe Dr, Mr Phil - Dilated

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrx View Post
    and i was just about to delete my last post in that thread, was like a slow motion train wreck
    It wasn't just that particular thread really, it's the general approach to the Lounge that some people have that frankly amazes me sometimes. I just felt like putting it out there in the faint hope that doing so once in a while actually helps...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Know what stinks even more, replying to a guy on page 2, not reading what's on page 4, and having your post be the last before a thread closes....doh!

But yes, a little discretion can go a long way.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slash For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Rule #1: Don't be a dick.
    Rule #2: You're probably not as clever as you think.
    Rule #3: People who are as clever as they think often enjoy being dicks to those who ignore rules #1 and 2.
    (Note to self: See rule #1.)

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

9. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like the idiotic threads that sometimes appear. We're human and it's nice to see it show even when I don't agree.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

LORD M is offline That guy from the cheer me up thread Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,790 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice put. Are you going to sticky this?

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD M View Post
    Nice put. Are you going to sticky this?
    I think there are enough stickies for people to ignore already. -_-

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Aphotic Phoenix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    I like the idiotic threads that sometimes appear. We're human and it's nice to see it show even when I don't agree.
    I don't mind some of the silly threads really, they can be very inspiring sometimes. There's always a certain number of misfires for each good silly thread but I can live with that. It's the posts were people 'accidentaly' insult others or where they are actively looking for a fight that get on my nerves.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphotic Phoenix View Post
    I think there are enough stickies for people to ignore already. -_-
    Yeh I just felt like putting this out there for a bit. Though, I might clean out the stickies in here a little, combine a few etc. when I start the restructuring of the main forums too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 394 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hear hear.

I personally love some of the comments you guys come out with, but some can be too random, and just plain weird.

Overall, I quote the wise words of Samuel L Jackson...

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Choob For This Useful Post:

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by yoitisi View Post
    It's the posts were people 'accidentaly' insult others or where they are actively looking for a fight that get on my nerves.
    We need a fight forum, but we won't talk about it. Maybe something like this.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We need to close the lounge!

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 427 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by GriNGo View Post
    We need to close the lounge!
    Then it will just spill over into the forums where the actual cool stuff happens.
    Keep the junk in the junk drawer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Exactily, but there is not only junk here in the Lounge. Besides, the Lounge it's a good place to go when you are stressed

And this is probably the only place where you get the opportunity to use this awesome emoticon:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If I actually think before I post, I may never post again...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

23. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Anid Maro is offline Psychotic Eldritch Zeppelin Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Consider what you are writing and how it might be read by others.
    I do say this is excellent advice for writing or saying anything anywhere.

Also consider whether or not you should even participate in the conversation, just because there is a religious/political thread doesn't mean you must post in it. That's advice from my own mistakes. I'd participated in far too many such threads in the past here and even watched posters get banned from the Lounge over them, and I can't say any of us were any better off for the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Rule #3: People who are as clever as they think often enjoy being dicks to those who ignore rules #1 and 2.
    (Note to self: See rule #1.)
    I've been at both the receiving and giving end of rule #3, and as Elwell notes if you're dishing out with rule #3 you'd be better off with rule #1. After all the other two might also apply.

Although I've yet to see anyone get the best of Elwell. :)

-My work can be found at my local directory thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A very simple request for everyone posting on CA, and especially for those of us who post in the lounge. By its very nature the Lounge is a place that gathers all sorts of threads and posts, some more random and/or useless than others but in general on page 2 the original topic has been butchered already. It's a place to hang out in and have fun in, or to post emotionally laden stuff, and it's easy to overstep peoples boundaries (it's the Internet too, after all).

My question to everyone therefore is to please think before you make a post. Consider what you are writing and how it might be read by others.

This is a public place, and though it's the Internet it does not mean you have a right to act like (be) a dick on here, or to be dumb and stupid. In case you hadn't noticed, potential employers, collegues and friends are out here too. You don't want them to see your drunken puking pictures on Facebook, you don't want them to see you insulting entire halves of the population either.

I am fully aware that this thread is probably not going to help at all but I felt like posting it nonetheless, in the hope one or two of you stop and think for a second.

Also, it's probably way too much text for the lounge...
    this sounds great in theory, but honestly if this was perfectly adhered to the only person that would ever post in the lounge would be jason manley

now i dont know about you guys but i have come to accept that the lounge is just generally where people come to be assholes and try to show each other how much smarter they are than each other, and i would gladly continue to accept that if people would keep their shitty comments and asshole egos out of forums that are actually useful and meaningful , like the wip section and the critiques forums.

i would much rather hear someone expressing their opinion that girls wherever are ugly or worthless or whatever nonsense has everyone all flustered , than go to the critiques forum and see someone post "you suck " without pointing out what was wrong or give any useful solutions to fix it.

but seriously if you get all butthurt over one persons opinion maybe you shouldn't be online.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to ShotgunTony For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunTony View Post
    ...but seriously if you get all butthurt over one persons opinion maybe you shouldn't be online.

I was not replying to any case in particular in here, I was saying this out loud in general as I see way too often people just drop all and everything on here without thinking it might actually offend someone. Sometimes it's better to keep your opinion to yourself, or to consider how to write it down properly before posting.

The whole 'dude, it's the Internet' or 'it's the Lounge' approach is also not something I consider an excuse to just drop all manners, though it's been used plenty of times. I just hope this post can make a tiny bit of a difference for the time it's around, though I have no illusions it actually will. If no-one opens his/her mouth about it it certainly won't help, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by JessiBean View Post
    Then it will just spill over into the forums where the actual cool stuff happens.
    Keep the junk in the junk drawer.
    While I totally agree that the Lounge should stay if only to catch all the junk off of the rest of the forums (and for the occassional awesome thread in here), this still is not an excuse to just abandon all manners and start flinging poo around in here.

Last edited by yoitisi; August 19th, 2009 at 04:08 AM.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Rule #3: People who are not as clever as they think always enjoy being dicks to those who ignore rules #1 and 2.
    Fixed.

In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i would much rather hear someone expressing their opinion that girls wherever are ugly or worthless or whatever nonsense has everyone all flustered , than go to the critiques forum and see someone post "you suck " without pointing out what was wrong or give any useful solutions to fix it.
    How about just treating people with the respect that you would if you were talking to them in real life? Is that really so hard?

CA isn't 4chan, it's not anonymous. Most people here are actually very easy to track down, for a reason - trying to get work, trying to make a name for ourselves. I know it's just the lounge but there are a few people on here that I would *never* hire based on their attitudes here, so maybe keeping that in mind is a good idea.

There is never a good reason to be disrespectful, whatever bullshit excuse you want to give about letting people be assholes here so they don't have to be elsewhere.

If you really, really want to act like an ass, go somewhere where you are anonymous, rather than where your professionalism is on the line.

31. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 775 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i have come to accept that the lounge is just generally where people come to be assholes
    I dunno about you, but I find that statement very depressing.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you can look over my post if you want but i never said it was right, i never said it was acceptable. i just said it is what it is, you cant blame me for that.

and you somehow find a way to associate me with the ridiculous post in here, really think back to what the last thread i posted in before all this was and what i posted was. i bet 98% of you cant without using the database to look it up for you.

i fully agree with the original idea proposed here, i have left these forums for long periods of time ive deleted older accounts because of how people act on here.

and its not just the random newcomers acting like assholes either it seems like once a person gets a postcount between 1000 and 3000 post they stomp around acting like they own CA and being dicks because nobody with a lower post count is going to do anything but agree with them. (i made this new account to test this whole theory and when it proved valid i gave up posting on here for the most part.)

and it makes me sad , it really does. because the people of massive black work so hard to make this place great and hundreds of new people come here every day, every one of them has the potential to learn from this site yet most are chased off by the "your post count is low so you dont fucking matter" attitude.

this site has alot of great features and alot of great people but in the end its like sifting shit with your hands to find diamonds.

i honestly hope on the next site they ditch having a visible post count and get rid of the ranking system. it serves no positive purpose.

and i seriously doubt ill ever have trouble getting a job in my chosen field

Last edited by ShotgunTony; August 19th, 2009 at 04:54 PM. Reason: added stuff

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 394 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    and it makes me sad , it really does. because the people of massive black work so hard to make this place great and hundreds of new people come here every day, every one of them has the potential to learn from this site yet most are chased off by the "your post count is low so you dont fucking matter" attitude.
    Hear hear.

I personally never use my postcount against people, or try to intimidate them. My latest idea is to comment on everybody's work in the DSG and other activities, not just the good ones, because the others are trying, and crave any recognition or help. Even acknowledging their existence and recognising that they took time out for the activity is a good enough thing.

Even if it makes my hands bleed, I'm gonna keep encouraging these guys to get better, try harder, and go for their goals, even if everyone else is better.

I don't agree as much with your rant on the rankings and postcount getting abolished, at least this site has the thanks system, so we can see who's posts are useful.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If kitty stops posting I quit

a little civility is never out of line
    you know...golden rule and stuff

I think of it as Manners
    but then Im hopelessly old fashioned.
    and about post count? um
    that isn't any thing remotely related to what matters

but service to the community is. and does.

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chaosrocks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ... I never said it was right...I just said it is what it is.

I replied to it earlier by saying that the reasoning that posting crap in the Lounge is okay because it is the Lounge, is not a valid excuse and never was. Your resignation to people using it as their toilet is therefore regretable. All I am asking is for people kindly not to post their worst crap in here anymore, as I refuse to sit back without at least trying to do something about it.

...really think back to what the last thread i posted in before all this was and what i posted was. i bet 98% of you cant without using the database to look it up for you.
    You're doing a great job in making yourself known out there, I must say.

More to the point, I think that everyone can make mistakes now and again. However, there are a few people out there who stand out like a sore thumb with their online behavior and believe me, those will be remembered. Again though, I'm asking for people to try and behave a little more respectful towards each other in general, not just to hide their worst garbage. If you insult someone or are disrespectful towards someone, that person will certainly remember you.

...and its not just the random newcomers acting like assholes either it seems like once a person gets a postcount between 1000 and 3000 post they stomp around acting like they own CA and being dicks because nobody with a lower post count is going to do anything but agree with them. (i made this new account to test this whole theory and when it proved valid i gave up posting on here for the most part.)

While I agree this can happen now and again, I've yet to see the "your post count is low so you dont fucking matter" attitude on here really. Also, if it gets really out of hand there's always the 'report post' button, or moderators or admins are within reach of a PM.

Last edited by yoitisi; August 19th, 2009 at 05:44 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

You're doing a great job in making yourself known out there, I must say.

oh is that what im supposed to be doing.

see when i used to come on here i thought it was about learning new things and helping people where i could, now i see i was doing it all wrong. i should have been more worried about being popular and getting famous all along. i wish someone would have told me this sooner.

PS: chaos your badass ,,, jadefoodog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    see rule#2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just don't close this thread and every other one when things get "out of hand." The LOUNGE doesn't have to be serious business. It's fun. It's random. It doesn't have to do with art. I agree with ShotgunTony. People can get so emotional over others' posts. If it bugs you, just stay away from it all.

I hate the closed threads feature because it conveys the idea that no one is entitled to their opinion, no matter how stupid. Who are these gods of moderation that can't handle a stupid topic? Lighten up. If people want to not think about their user names associated with their ridiculous posts, that's their right. The only reason a thread should be closed is if it directly attacks another user or their race, beliefs, religion, etc.

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good evening, Jadefood, and how are you?

No, wait........ my post count is WAY too high for me to talk to you.

Long time no see! (And it's still hard to get me to shut up)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.