Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks

Mysti's Sketch Book - Need Constructive Critique

First off, ohai CA.org

I'm Mysti, and I'm new here~

I hope to improve dramatically, and learn all about the wonders of digipainting and all other art~

Anyway, without further ado... arttt~

---

Personally I think it looks better with the smiley face, buuuut, because I need to learn about how to do things, I'll post a version with the face showing.

click here for fail.

I need to either learn how to draw up and paint a face less... anime like.. idk, or learn to paint more stylized, and not assume that when it comes to painting, things MUST BE REALISTIC.

cos it doesn't work that way, and is a LAME way of thinking.

Anyway. Opinions? Criticism is welcomed, but please don't tear it apart too bad
    Last edited by Mystiqe; January 23rd, 2012 at 09:30 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    So I decided to add some of my other paintings to this thing. You know, give you epic people SOMETHING to look at.

First off is like... a little storybook kinda image with an idea that popped into mind when I was working on a Sunday and it was SO SLOW. So I drew on a receipt c:

The more monotone is of a character created for a project that I'm involved in with some friends. More anime-ish, because hey, it's what I draw. But I bounce around style wise, and I wanted to go for a maybe pseudo realistic look? Anyway. Opinions?

Thanks
    Yay, glad you made it! Now get rid of that happy face, and show some process of you working on it. And people here can give you crits on how to make it better! Go go go!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Seage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Some little doodles!

I was just dicking around in Paint Tool SAI for a little bit out of boredom and these are what were produced. I was really just playing around with tools ^^;;;

Thanks
    So, Got some new sketches and tests, and what not.

The dinky little fox head... I was just mucking around with a painting style that I wanted to try.

Same with the face. Wanted to approach painting a face non realistically, because I haven't been able to do it until then.

The serval? Uh... just something cute.

lowest painting is some doodling I fleshed out and refined.

Thanks

Yay doodles~

Thanks
    Fixed her boobs a little bit. Now they look more naturallll~

Not to mention they have nips now~ Heeheee

Thanks
    This isnt too bad for an anime style i suppose, just keep practicing proper anatomy (you know, loomis, hogarth, villppu, posemaniacs.com) and try to add more depth to your drawings. By studying them youll become aware of all the little mistakes youve made.

Ill just pinpoint a few to give you an example of what you should work on. IM SORRY IF I SEEM MEAN HERE, really, im trying to help, but maybe my approach is a bit too blunt.
    In your first drawing: The chest seems to be pointing a bit to the right of the viewer while the hips seem to be facing the viewer, (perhaps im wrong on this one, dont take this comment too seriously) this looks odd. The pink part of the hair seems alright but the purple looks weird the way its puffed out like that. I dont really understand why her legs are squatting like that, is she supposed to be flying? Also, her chin should be a bit larger, thats probably one of the main reasons it looks a bit odd.

For the third drawing: the forearm are a bit off. (Look at some musculature diagrams, that lump of muscle you have going to the left (our left) of her left arm should be going to the right, thats not to say that the other side should be flat.

For the fourth and fifth drawing: the heads just look massive, this is what i mean by having a heavily stylised way of drawing. Also, that thick outlines take away from the depth.

For the seventh drawing: You should study the general shape of the face, Andrew loomis has a great book dedicated to drawing only the head and hands (i believe the .pdf file of all of his books are free to download somewhere).

For the tenth and eleventh drawings: Again, forearm muscles are a bit off, also, your hips seem a bit off to be as well, but idk really.

Well there you go, i hope my critiques help, and i hope i didnt crush your spirit with them.
    Good luck with your studies,
    Visit my sketchbook here

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NecroPhone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ahhh thank you soo much for the critique x) I've been waiting for one like that! I appreciate it quite a lot, and I hope I can learn from it xD;

Thanks
    New doodles for everyone to see!

ok I lied. I just have one, and I was just messing around with a brush. Anyway. Enjoy!

Thanks
    So, remember that old doodle I did in my first post? Well, I worked on the face XD

Check it out!

Thanks
    So, today I hung out with a friend. Decided I'd do some life drawing sketches for a portfolio since last night I applied to a University! Woo!

Anyway. First drawing is of my friend Diane that I drew when we were hanging out at her place. Second is a drawing of two girls at the Tim Hortons that I was chillin at.

For the drawing of Diane, I know that there's somethin' wrong with her right shoulder, I'll fix it sometime tomorrow. In any case, enjoy, and if you have some helpful tips it would be awesome ^^

Thanks
    Messing around in Paint Tool SAI. Just drawing and stuff with shapes mostly, it evolved into a face, which then evolved into a bust. Trying to break into stylistic realism I suppose? Breaking out of the box that is anime.

Took around 20-30 minutes.
    Last edited by Mystiqe; April 4th, 2010 at 03:34 PM.

Thanks
    You should be updating this more often, because while your anatomy and proportions are good; they still need a bit of work. Also, I would recommend that you study perspective and composition when you get the chance.
    The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I stopped using it years ago.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Zenithian Oh, and I am also a GNASH supporter/promoter.
    Nintendo Network ID: FightingSeraph

Thanks
    I haven't been posting much because much of what i do is anime and the sort like it and i hear its not very welcome here, but i will post more :3 and I'll try to do some studies. Thank you!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast