Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: One Nice Day

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking One Nice Day

Hi all!

I've decided to keep a sketchbook for myself to monitor my own progress. I've serious problems with drawing and can proudly boast that I got the worst results among my art class when I was a teen eons ago (partly due to laziness).

Now I'm trying hard and learning to draw in the hope that before I die decades from now, I can at least draw a recognizable sketch of a human face.

As some of you may know, I'm now at chapter 5 (or 6) of Betty Edwards' book and is currently learning contour drawing (that is, drawing and outlines of subjects etc.).

------------------------------------

Attached is one of my drawing I did. Now, I would be happy if anyone is able to recognize what it is (no, it's not a military tank).

It took me nearly 3 bloody hours just to come up with this piece of arse and I must admit I kinda got frustrated during the process.

As you can see, the left side of the subject is drawn wrongly (too slanted).

Overall, although I can personally see what it is (since I drew it), I must say I'm not happy at all with the results.

I was intending to draw a very exact and accurate line art version of the subject.

The bending parts of this subject (the area around and below the screws) are particularly hard to draw even when I close one eye.
    Pls critique if possible, on the proportions, line, sketch quality, angle, anything.

And I've no ego, so feel free to abuse my drawings if you've a bad day.

Thanks!
    Xeon

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Xeon_OND; March 22nd, 2010 at 08:41 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks like a hole-puncher to me...

please tell me im right!

im really not sure...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WRappiii For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by WRappiii View Post
    looks like a hole-puncher to me...

please tell me im right!

im really not sure...
    LOL, you get no prizes for guessing right!

I'll be uploading more drawings here maybe tomorrow.
    Seriously, I feel like deleting this thread away when I look at everyone else's sketchbooks and mine is like absolute shit!!!! I must applaude myself for even having the guts to start this crap.

I wish CA has some way to let us set our threads as private so only I get to see it.

Good day!
    Xeon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you want a private sketchbook, then why make a thread?

When I started my sketchbook, I was really scared and embarrassed even. But that temporary courage turned out to work in my favor and I feel more motivated than ever to work on my weaknesses. Seeing so much great art makes me want to work even harder.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JJacks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JJacks View Post
    If you want a private sketchbook, then why make a thread?
    Thanks! Well, starting a sketchbook and then keep it private will let me keep track of my drawings and yet no one can see it. Like a private blog, if you will.

Anyway, thanks for your comments.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm guessing it's a hole puncher as well. I'm expecting my 100 in the mail lol.

You shouldn't feel intimidated by anyone else's sketchbooks. No one is perfect and that's the reason we're all posting them up.
    Getting a little criticism won't take away from you current skills and abilities at all, but it will allow you to grow from your current state.

You should upload more ^_^

Current Projects:
    3D CyberPunk Characters W.I.P

Bloghttp://z3nzy-fmp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by aesir
    I fully intend to become rich as fuck through art. How you ask? By being awesome.
    Awesome artists get rich. You guys just don't love art enough to get rich. Maybe if you cared about money more you might have more motivation to get awesome.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZenzybaR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Xeon, keep at it. By the sound of you talking about the way you draw you seem faaar too worried about the outcome of each and every individual drawing. Embrace the fact that you're learning and instead of seeing each drawing as a finished piece which should be aimed at perfection, see them each as a step (no matter how big) towards improved drawing. Don't be embarrassed about your sketchbook, I feel the same way about mine (so much so I removed the link to it from my sig until I have some stuff I'm proud of in there), there are so many amazing artists here on CA that it can feel quite demoralising at times. But you need to realise that those people got good through hard work and time spent drawing and if you're prepared to do the same there's no reason why you can't be as good as anyone on this site.

Now that all sounds very idealistic I know, I'm struggling with the whole idea myself but that's part of the challenge, if it was easy it wouldn't be satisfying.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Smashed_Pumpkin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, you should feel embarrassed about display your artwork. The more comments and crits that you get the better get at it. I like when people give me feed on my stuff really helps me instead of those who just says this is good and all. You came to conceptart for a reason and that reason is to improve you artwork. Keep the thread and keep going at it. Never give up and don't feel embarrassed. Every great artist started somewhere. I'm going to save your thread in my favorites and expects more drawings on here from me comment on. So everyone in CA community can help on endeavor of becoming an artist. And I been there and felt the way you felt many time before.

You can do it!!!!!!

"True artistic talent is the ability to pursue your goals and not give up until you succeed, whether it is on the second or seventieth try," Daniel Pelavin.

Back to the Basics

[http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...hp?t=158168]In My Head[/url]

"Good for you, son. If there's one thing this world needs, it's more lawyers. Could you imagine a world without lawyers?," Lionel Hutz

13. The Following User Says Thank You to crimsoneye For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

Hi guys! Sorry that it's been some time since I update this but I was kinda busy last week.

Many thanks to everyone here for your kind words. Every freaking time I come to CA, I always feel a bit like sobbing as I'm so touched.

Below are scans of my work done last week and the week before, together with my comments.
    There's "words" on the drawing paper cos' it's recycled paper at the back and the scanner can pick that up too.

The key below is supposed to "go back" and extend away from the viewer into space, but it looks like it's floating in thin air no matter how I draw. I think I may need to draw a table to "give it context".

The line quality of the paper clips is TRASH. The stapler is my first version.

The stapler (2nd version) looks better now:

The object at the upper-left is a tiny souvenir. The head is kinda off, though. Curves are very hard to estimate and draw!!!! Shit it.

And the contour drawing of my hand below. I think it's recognizable, though the anatomy and parts of it is wrong. I didn't draw this myself, though. I used the plastic viewfinder to help me in gauging the proportions etc (as per Betty Edwards' exercise in her book). Spent 1.5+ hours or so on this.

Another contour drawing of the hand. As you can see, some fingers look a bit fat and off, and the finger that's touching the thumb is too obese.

My 1st perspective drawing of a corner of my room. Took nearly 4 hours to do it as the sighting of proportions and angles is MIND-BOGGLING and a bit stressful. I keep closing one eye and my left eye was kinda tired yesterday. I wanted to draw a bit more but I started out too large and paper has no space left.
    If you can identify what these stuff are easily, maybe I could consider giving you a virtual kiss. LOL

Feel free to critique! My line quality is crappy, btw.

My conclusion: Drawing is addictive and now I really like it though my art truly sucks. I'm gonna work hard at it and I've come to a point where I'm not gonna give up ever and my resolution is set and sealed in stone.

I'm gonna do more practice on more subjects. It might be some time before I update this thread here again.

Best wishes!!!
    Xeon

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Xeon

I know you're working from Betty's book, but try this: Try to visualize the vanishing points of everything you're drawing.

The horizon line is simply your "eye level" line. Whatever it is you're drawing can be drawn in perspective. If it's a squarish shape, like the hole punch, so much the easier for you. Perspective is just a tool to help you make these drawings from observation easier to do.

You're allowed to use tools like that, even though you're trying to draw a contour.

Also, try not to "finish up" lines too early. You'll have to catch yourself and STOP yourself when you just go in and slap a line in there to "finish" the shape. Make sure you carefully observe each and every time.

Hope that helps ya. Keep working!

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

16. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if i ever start up a sketchbook you can come check it out and im sure itll
    make you feel better about yourself!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WRappiii For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice, P Sage!

Quote Originally Posted by WRappiii View Post
    if i ever start up a sketchbook you can come check it out and im sure itll
    make you feel better about yourself!
    Oh yeah, thanks for the kind words, although seriously, considering that I'm already the worst artist in CA then and now, I would be impressed if there is an artist worst than me. And I'm not kidding.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon_OND View Post
    Thanks for the advice, P Sage!

Oh yeah, thanks for the kind words, although seriously, considering that I'm already the worst artist in CA then and now, I would be impressed if there is an artist worst than me. And I'm not kidding.
    One thing I've noticed is that you're always saying your lines suck or you're the worst artist or things that are negative. Biggest piece of advice I can give you is to stop thinking negatively. I used to go on deviantart and see some drawing and pieces on there and it made me feel so crappy... like I could never do things like that. But in reality I was my own worst enemy. If you think positively and just tell yourself "i'm not there yet but I WILL get there." it will help you more than anything else. Have faith in yourself and rather than saying they're crappy, mark what you don't like and next time fix it! It's all about gradual improvements.

Example... your fist stapler the perspective is off. The second one is much closer. You can see an improvement even between the two. So just keep it up and STOP saying negative things.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jen Wardell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I definitely agree with Ardescoere, man, you should stop putting yourself down. There is no point in telling yourself (or anyone else) that you suck over and over again and making that your mantra, that's not working towards anything but your own demise as an artist and a person. It's a good thing to recognize ones own shortcomings and being able to spot your own mistakes, but be glad that you have this ability and use it to better yourself. Analyze your drawings when they don't come out the way you want them to, find out why and give it another go trying to avoid making the same mistake again.

I am a beginner myself, and the best thing I've done for my own advancement was to stop letting my failures bum me out. Just put the pen to the paper and draw, failed attempts are a part of the learning process and they are nothing to be upset about. I used to get really disheartened when I made a bad drawing, and it even stopped me from practicing for a very long time because I was afraid of failing even before I drew the first line - in hindsight this seems ridiculous and I regret that I didn't realize it sooner, but I think it's common for beginners.

My sketchbook is bigger than yours.
    (not really)

Cool people you might want to check out:

Dy.laneA

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Crass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks folks! I'll stop saying such negative things from now.

Btw, Andre and Crass, you two have any sketchbooks? Don't seem to see it in your sigs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How about some ideas for drawing exercises? I hated them to death when I did them but they helped so very much.

Exercise 1: Copy part of a photograph or painting, zoomed in so you can't tell what the subject is anymore just by looking at it. This will help you see shapes, colour and value, rather than "an arm" or "a face" or "a stapler".

Exercise 2: Turn an abstract painting upside-down and try to capture it in one line.

Exercise 3: Draw an object from one angle, then turn it and draw it again, over the top of the first drawing. This might help you see how objects change with viewpoint.

All the best! Keep going and don't put yourself down.

sketchbook

I want to be a writer when I grow up.

My first book is going on sale in 2011!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to ataxas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Btw, Andre and Crass, you two have any sketchbooks? Don't seem to see it in your sigs.
    lol I think you meant me? I do.... I haven't linked it yet since I've only posted some random things and need to sit down and upload more stuff. But it's here

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=166653

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Jen Wardell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I do now.

(not really)

Dy.laneA

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Crass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardescoere View Post
    lol I think you meant me? I do.... I haven't linked it yet since I've only posted some random things and need to sit down and upload more stuff. But it's here
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=166653
    LOL, finally got to see your SB. The facial features may be kinda off (especially the guy in the first pic), but I see the shading in all your pics are awesome! Seems that you truly have real talent when it comes to lighting. It's unbelievable. And don't do personal work during office hours. You've been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Crass View Post
    I do now.
    Saw your SB finally! Good anatomy even though you're a beginner. I truly aspire to be like you and Arde!
    Anyway, considering you're only 22 or so, and is at this stage, you likely will reach the stage of members like Puck here when you get older.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Saw your SB finally! Good anatomy even though you're a beginner. I truly aspire to be like you and Arde!
    Anyway, considering you're only 22 or so, and is at this stage, you likely will reach the stage of members like Puck here when you get older.
    Thanks. So will you if you work hard!

(not really)

Dy.laneA

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Crass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Less talk more draw everyone. Less "self help" advice more "art help".

Some ideas on vanishing points: they are needed to organize simple planar structures in space. Simple planar structures tend to be arranged perpendicularly, so you only need a few vanishing points.
    Complex bodies like the human body, or any other organic body, literally have infinite vanishing points. Therefore, in a sense, they have no vanishing points.

The human body can't be drawn using the measuring techniques used for machines and buildings. And even when sketching buildings the vanishing points don't have to be accurate, that's why isometric projection has a spatial effect even though it doesn't use vanishing points.
    This tells us that what's important, among many other important things, is that we should put our attention on the object before us and it's surfaces rather than a non-existant vanishing point.

Last edited by armando; August 30th, 2009 at 03:49 PM. Reason: changed phrase
    Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

35. The Following User Says Thank You to armando For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Hey guys! And hi Armando, thanks for your advice on perspective.

Btw, I just got Jack Hamm's "Drawing the Head and Figure" after seeing how it got 4.5 / 5 stars at Amazon.com, outta 65 reviews, which is an amazing score.

This would be a good book to start, after which I'll go on to a more advanced book, like Loomis's "Figure drawing for all it's worth".

Now at page 1 of Jack's book, which shows how to make very basic female heads using 6 steps.

There's a lot of great art at CA and it doesn't hurt to view crappy art now and then:

As you can see, they're trashy, but I'll be learning on the more accurate proportions in later pages of the book (page 2 onwards).

Although these heads look as if they're created by a 3-year old toddler, I enjoy drawing them.

As you can see, I any-how-oh shade in the hair.

I try to make the heads look more feminine by drawing the head longer and the chin sharper, but it doesn't look quite right. Looks like she-males to me.

If anyone has tips or comments on any of my heads, pls let me know so that it can speed up my progress.

Have a nice day!
    Xeon

Last edited by Xeon_OND; August 31st, 2009 at 10:27 PM.

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

those definitely look like a lot of Jack Hamm heads. LOL.

Try doing some 3/4 shots as well as some profiles, some from below, some from above, etc.

In this way you'll come to understand the head as a whole and not just from the front perspective.

Good work tho. Keep going.

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

38. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by p sage View Post
    those definitely look like a lot of Jack Hamm heads. LOL.

Try doing some 3/4 shots as well as some profiles, some from below, some from above, etc.

In this way you'll come to understand the head as a whole and not just from the front perspective.

Good work tho. Keep going.
    LOL, well thanks, P Sage! I will work hard on learning the head and the next time I post here, hopefully I'll have some decent looking faces and heads.

These heads I've drawn so far look like faeces, not faces.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're drawing the same formless head, clearly from imagination, over and over. Stop it. That's not what a head looks like, that's not what eyes look like, and that's certainly not what a nose looks like. Go grab an anatomy book and study the major forms that make up a head. Draw from life and photo reference. Go grab a mirror and do some self portraits. Not just one, do twenty five of them. And no more churning out line drawings of cartoon heads. You're gonna have to learn to draw REAL heads before you get to those.

Let's see some head studies, proportions and anatomy especially. More importantly, let's see some RENDERINGS, from life and photo reference, no more cartoons. Hope to see some of this stuff from you soon.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Lamp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Lamp View Post
    You're drawing the same formless head, clearly from imagination, over and over. Stop it. That's not what a head looks like, that's not what eyes look like, and that's certainly not what a nose looks like. Go grab an anatomy book and study the major forms that make up a head. Draw from life and photo reference. Go grab a mirror and do some self portraits. Not just one, do twenty five of them. And no more churning out line drawings of cartoon heads. You're gonna have to learn to draw REAL heads before you get to those.

Let's see some head studies, proportions and anatomy especially. More importantly, let's see some RENDERINGS, from life and photo reference, no more cartoons. Hope to see some of this stuff from you soon.
    Well, thanks for your precious insight, Lamp! Yeah, I'm drawing all these from imagination.

As you can see, I'm reading Jack Hamm's book now and is familiarizing myself with the placement and location of the facial features and basic head construction techniques.
    I'm also trying to build up some confidence in drawing cos' I can't draw proper lines etc. In other words, I'm at pre-beginner level now.

I understand that he teaches a bit of these cartooning styles first and later goes into more depth in anatomy (same as Andrew Loomis's books, whereby he teaches all these basics first, and then later progress to drawing from life and photos).

Heck, to be honest, if you tell me to look at myself in the mirror or some model now and draw the face, I won't even know where to start!

My goal is to draw from photos in future, though (absoutely no money to pay for models)!

Thanks again for your valuable post.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loomis teaches you the basics of structure--then how to render.

You cannot study the features of the face without understanding the forms that they are sitting on---none the less know where they are supposed to go.

"pre-beginner" level is the best time to start doing things right.

IMO, drop the Hamms book and start reading Loomis.
    Because after reading loomis you will know where to start when drawing from life, just within the first chapter alone.

I also think you should pick up "Drawing on the right side of the brain" to avoid making mistakes along the way in the process of learning.

Like I said this is in my opinion, but this "Familiarizing" is leading to a bad habit of repetition without understanding what those facial features actually are. Fix it now while you can and you'll have an excellent foundation to improve upon.

"Be either full-assed or no-assed. There is no half assed."

SSG SKETCHPOT/FLYING RADISHES/ OR JUST PLAIN AWESOME.
    KT | Reutte | Darkmoon |Asatira | AnthonyV

[CENTER]
    My Website
    ~ My Sketchbook ~ My Blog ~ My Twitter ~ My Deviantart ~

44. The Following User Says Thank You to hala For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by hala View Post
    Loomis teaches you the basics of structure--then how to render.

You cannot study the features of the face without understanding the forms that they are sitting on---none the less know where they are supposed to go.

"pre-beginner" level is the best time to start doing things right.

IMO, drop the Hamms book and start reading Loomis.
    Because after reading loomis you will know where to start when drawing from life, just within the first chapter alone.

I also think you should pick up "Drawing on the right side of the brain" to avoid making mistakes along the way in the process of learning.

Like I said this is in my opinion, but this "Familiarizing" is leading to a bad habit of repetition without understanding what those facial features actually are. Fix it now while you can and you'll have an excellent foundation to improve upon.
    Thanks Hala! I assume you mean Loomis's "Figure drawing for all it's worth"? I'm currently cross-referencing from several books during my self-studies.

However, I'm not sure if you have seen Hamm's book, but it's one of the top books out there.

Thanks for your advice again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everyone.

I've dropped Hamm's book and taken up Loomis.
    Twas' a pity, though, as I went all the way to the city like a sweaty dog just to get Hamm's book and now this.

Anyway, Loomis's concept is good, but it's hard to understand his construction of the head. I even started a thread a few days ago on knowing how and where to draw the ear line on the ball.

Here's some of my practice sketches below. The earlier ones are quite wrong but there are more correct ones in the later sketches (the 3rd and 4th pics, I think).

I'm gonna do more over the course of next week to try to understand this better before I go further on his heads.

I've made it a point to swear and curse at Loomis but that said, I'll still continue learning his method.

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Xeon_OND For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work. Making your private sketch book public holds you to some personal accountability. The feedback doesn't hurt either.

Nice stuff

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 9