Sketchbook: One Nice Day - Page 8
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: One Nice Day

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Xeon, much luck to you!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the support, Diarum, Mike, Chaser and Kamber!

Quote Originally Posted by Diarum View Post
    Damn, what are you gonna do for money then? Thats good that you are gonna put that much dedication into it.
    I can survive on my savings for the next 2 years. Which is why it's always very important to save, because you never know when you need the $.
    Since 10 years ago when I started saving all my money like mad, I never thought this day would come!
    Always make a habit of saving at least 80% of your montly salary or weekly allowance.

I myself need to put my nose to the paper cuz I don't have to work for the time being, at least till school is out. You really seem to be improving a lot, that might be cause of the time between your updates . the last two are amazing lol, so awesome.
    In case of misunderstanding, I would like to take this opportunity to declare again that the last 2 drawings are not done by me!
    They are done by Robert Schultz, an American contemporary artist. If those last 2 were by me, then the heavens would crack open and hell would tremble in fear (and I wouldn't need to go to school :p)

I CHALLENGE YOU TO A RACE AROUND THE WORLD!!!
    LOL, ok, where's the starting point, ending point and are we gonna race using ships, feet, cars or bikes?

See ye all!
    Xeon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Xeon, wow man congrats on chasing your dream. i guess the rest of the Penvirate are gonna have to work twice as hard to keep up with you now! lol. but seriously, i am excited for you and am excited for all of us who get to be a part of your journey. the next couple of years are gonna rock!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PermaN00b For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I gotta say that your quest is truly inspiring. Keep it up man!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister Dark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon_OND View Post
    Thanks for the support, Diarum, Mike, Chaser and Kamber!

I can survive on my savings for the next 2 years. Which is why it's always very important to save, because you never know when you need the $.
    Since 10 years ago when I started saving all my money like mad, I never thought this day would come!
    Always make a habit of saving at least 80% of your montly salary or weekly allowance.
    Damn that is a lot of saving. thats really good though!

In case of misunderstanding, I would like to take this opportunity to declare again that the last 2 drawings are not done by me!
    They are done by Robert Schultz, an American contemporary artist. If those last 2 were by me, then the heavens would crack open and hell would tremble in fear (and I wouldn't need to go to school :p)
    Must have missed that part lol, lol I thought you had past be by like 100 fold with those last 2

LOL, ok, where's the starting point, ending point and are we gonna race using ships, feet, cars or bikes?
    It starts at beginner and ends at professional level! and we are using drawing utensils!

See ye all!
    Xeon[/QUOTE]

The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Diarum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great decision! You won't see master drawings from me in 2011 though. I'm not even halfway there yet. To be honest, lately I've felt I don't have the passion to be a really outstanding artist but I think I can make a poor/ok living out of this. I'm not saying I'm not practicing, I do that every day but it feels a bit stale and not too fun. I'm never inspired, I just get up at 6-7 am and begin my routines.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Taneli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PermaN00b View Post
    Xeon, wow man congrats on chasing your dream. i guess the rest of the Penvirate are gonna have to work twice as hard to keep up with you now! lol. but seriously, i am excited for you and am excited for all of us who get to be a part of your journey. the next couple of years are gonna rock!
    LOL, thanks....but it's not a fine arts school, though. They're more of a digital animation school that offers specialization in concept art training (which means lots of drawing), so I'm don't expect to become anywhere near the top guys here, although I'll try to draw really hard.
    And don't worry about catching up with me.
    Since you're still young, you may become like Elwell by the time you reach 30 if you work your ass off!

It starts at beginner and ends at professional level! and we are using drawing utensils!
    Then, at the end of the art race, I want to see your face at the finishing point!

Quote Originally Posted by Taneli View Post
    Great decision! You won't see master drawings from me in 2011 though. I'm not even halfway there yet. To be honest, lately I've felt I don't have the passion to be a really outstanding artist but I think I can make a poor/ok living out of this. I'm not saying I'm not practicing, I do that every day but it feels a bit stale and not too fun. I'm never inspired, I just get up at 6-7 am and begin my routines.
    I can't believe I'm reading this from the Great Taneli, one of the foremost folks here at CA who has inspired my journey and art!

Maybe you're feeling this way cos' you haven't updated your SB in ages? It's time to dust your SB and put some drawings back in, don't wait till 2011! Remember, your SB is one of the few that shows the most amazing leaps in terms of progress and it's so evident from post to post.

I remember you go to an art school, so maybe you're suffering from a burn-out? I always love those stuff in your SB that you drew from imagination.

"Enthusiasm means to be possessed by a god" - Armando

Take care and don't sweat it!
    Xeon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First time I've seen your book.
    Flicking through the pages [but not reading much as there seems to be a lot of talking, so apologies if this is repeating someone else] you seem to be quite hard on yourself. From what I can see you are definetly improving, but as you've probably been told it's a slow and steady process.
    Just comparing your first page to your last you can see more confidence in your lines and you're not doing repetative stokes, your getting nice, smooth curves.

Also some people are harder to draw than others, I find that all the time ans it's weird how you can get some and not others. Just the way of the world really.

Keep going.

My Site

Sketchbook - Crits and opinions needed and welcomed

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Porg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, thanks. That cheered me up! The previous post was just a result of me trying to draw after a 2 week long, depressing break (trying to heal my hand) and failing miserably. I'm back in business now and just today I drew the most convincing character I've done. No updates until 2011 though! I don't go to school. I thought about it, but I don't have the money.

I still have to say that I don't get these magical inspiration boosts. I have motivation and persistence, but real inspiration comes very, very rarely.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Taneli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Thanks a lot, Porg! And Taneli, even if you've decided not to update your SB, do visit CA often!

Anyway, it's been a hectic last week as I had to rush around to prepare the documents etc. for my upcoming school.

Anyway, this weekend, I spent most of my time on drawing faces from magazine photos.

For the time being, I prefer to use mostly lines and minimal tone for my portrait / face drawings, because I've realized that if a portrait has likeness, the likeness will start showing up even before tone is applied (look at Sargent's non-rendered portrait drawings). If the portrait has no likeness by the time you're done with the pencil sketch, then it fails. "A portrait drawing which has no likeness isn't a portrait".

Below is my own self-portrait I did as part of the bi-weekly project for my own sketchgroup at CA, The Penvirate. I have to say this self-portrait has the best likeness of me so far, better than that previous one with the smudged tone and shading. It may be due to 90% luck.

Click on images to see un-distorted size.

(took 2.5 freaking hours to do this, including 30+ mins of erasing and re-posing the mouth after the pencil drop out of my mouth and the saliva dripped. Most memorable and fun self-portrait ever; tks guys, you know who you're )

This table has been with us for over 14 years. It's being carried away by the time you read this. I drew the table in memory of it. Bye, friend.

Non-stop sketching of bedroom scene from imagination, under 20 seconds. Now that I looked at it, the perspective of the bed looks weird though I've taken the vanishing points into account. Maybe it's due to the curvy lines on the floor:

Argh......can't get a likeness!!! Now do I realize the line of the forehead is way off! A pity!

Now that I look at it, the jaw area of my drawing should be wider and longer; my drawing's face is too narrow and thin:

Regardless of how I try, I can't get the drawing below to look the same.

To me, trying to get a likeness in drawing faces is the single most challenging part. "A portrait that has no likeness, no matter how well done, invariably fails".

As usual, if anyone has feedback or comments, pls post them! Even bad useless advice is better than no advice. :-P

See you all!
    Xeon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Xeon,

I guess I'll reserve crits of your SP for our Penvirate thread. (Though, I think it is your strongest so far).

How long are you taking on the magazine women? I think your handling of eyes is getting pretty strong. Re the middle one, I think it's a pretty strong study-- you could probably fix the nasal bone brow ridge curve and the lopped off chin without damaging the overall work. Though, sometimes you just have to work a few 'til you really wreck 'em-- just for the learning. . .

Re your desk sketch-- I have old SBs containing people places and things that really take me back-- like old snapshots-- you'd be surprised, in the future, how a rough sketch can really bring back memories.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamber Parrk View Post
    How long are you taking on the magazine women? I think your handling of eyes is getting pretty strong. Re the middle one, I think it's a pretty strong study-- you could probably fix the nasal bone brow ridge curve and the lopped off chin without damaging the overall work. Though, sometimes you just have to work a few 'til you really wreck 'em-- just for the learning. ..
    Thanks Kamber! I take around 2 hours (sometimes slightly less) for each magazine face drawing.

20+ mins to get in the overall proportions and feature placements, then another 30 - 40 mins to try to draw in the features accurately, and then about 1 hour to render in the thing and touch up (I admit I spend a lot of time on touching up and refining stuff).

Re your desk sketch-- I have old SBs containing people places and things that really take me back-- like old snapshots-- you'd be surprised, in the future, how a rough sketch can really bring back memories.
    I guess we're both sentimental people!

See you around,
    Xeon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm glad to see that you're so persistent to become a better drawer. I can only repeat the advice that others have already said. Keep drawing, observe from life and stick with anatomy book.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Ivan Turcin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Turcin View Post
    I'm glad to see that you're so persistent to become a better drawer. I can only repeat the advice that others have already said. Keep drawing, observe from life and stick with anatomy book.
    Hi Ivan, thanks for dropping by!

I was curious, so I visited your SB, and those portraits at the beginning of your SB......are exactly the same kind of SHIT I want to achieve one day!

If you don't mind, do you mind sharing how you learn portraiture and how long you took to attain such results? They're so photo-realistic and now that I look at my own stuff, they look so lame and worse than trash.

You're truly the Duke of Portraiture! I've this book which contains 42 Sargent's portraits and your style is even more realistic than his.

One major stumbling block with regards to learning portraiture seems to be that it's very hard / near-impossible to find models who would sit down for 1 - 2 hours. In the case of figure drawing, at least you have models who pose nude for 30 seconds - 2+ hours.
    Sometimes, I wonder if those guys like Sargent learnt portraiture from copying photos when they start out?

See you guys,
    Xeon

Last edited by Xeon_OND; April 21st, 2010 at 06:22 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Xeon I really like the most recent portraits. I agree with kamber about the eyes you seem to really be putting a lot of love into them. Overall there is significant improvement from the last portraits u posted. Keep up the good work my friend!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to PermaN00b For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would like to know who is that in your avatar? Is that a painting?
    Good luck on your quest.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Junpei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by PermaN00b View Post
    Xeon I really like the most recent portraits. I agree with kamber about the eyes you seem to really be putting a lot of love into them. Overall there is significant improvement from the last portraits u posted. Keep up the good work my friend!
    Thanks, and you too!

Quote Originally Posted by Junpei View Post
    I would like to know who is that in your avatar? Is that a painting? Good luck on your quest.
    Ah no! It's a pretty Taiwanese model who got embroiled in a sex scandal some months back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ahh..asian models and starlets who get involved in sex scandals..god bless 'em!

I admire your decision to go for what you want man. That takes a lot of balls to make.
    We are all rooting for you!

I SWEAR ON THE GRAVES OF ALL THE TALENTED FILIPINO ARTISTS WHO HAVE GONE BEFORE ME, THE FILIPINO ART LEGACY WILL CONTINUE!

MY DAY JOB http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=136204

MY ANGRY SKETCHBOOKhttp://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...129015&page=13

30. The Following User Says Thank You to the ANGRY filipino For This Useful Post:

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's nice to see you shading faces, but you're only shading the darkest areas. The lighter areas are still flat white, and the hair you draw is still all one value. Real hair has a ton of different values. You need to practice different levels of gray. Try shading an entire piece of paper black and then drawing just with an eraser.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon_OND View Post
    Hi Ivan, thanks for dropping by!

I was curious, so I visited your SB, and those portraits at the beginning of your SB......are exactly the same kind of SHIT I want to achieve one day!

If you don't mind, do you mind sharing how you learn portraiture and how long you took to attain such results? They're so photo-realistic and now that I look at my own stuff, they look so lame and worse than trash.

You're truly the Duke of Portraiture! I've this book which contains 42 Sargent's portraits and your style is even more realistic than his.

One major stumbling block with regards to learning portraiture seems to be that it's very hard / near-impossible to find models who would sit down for 1 - 2 hours. In the case of figure drawing, at least you have models who pose nude for 30 seconds - 2+ hours.
    Sometimes, I wonder if those guys like Sargent learnt portraiture from copying photos when they start out?

See you guys,
    Xeon
    Hey Xeon,
    thank you for the kind words. But here on conceptart.org are more then thousands of artists better then me at portraits
    It takes time to gain skills, and lots of hard work. I still have a lot of trouble drawing a portrait. If you don't have the opportunity to study from life use photos. You can learn a lot by doing so.
    Always observe what others did. There are many painters from Renaissance who are masters of the portrait.
    I will look for some good links and let you know what I found.

Keep working, cheers!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Ivan Turcin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by TASmith View Post
    It's nice to see you shading faces, but you're only shading the darkest areas. The lighter areas are still flat white, and the hair you draw is still all one value. Real hair has a ton of different values. You need to practice different levels of gray. Try shading an entire piece of paper black and then drawing just with an eraser.
    Hey TASmith, great to see you posting here! I haven't really get into the rendering of objects yet, but in order to make the face drawing have a good likeness of the subject, I have no choice but to try to duplicate the values. As for the hair, I have no patience to render that now, especially when my faces doesn't have a likeness.
    I'll try out your method in my drawings in the next 2 weeks.

--------------------------------------
    Update for the past 2 weeks:

Been playing Bayonetta recently (a very truly epic xBox 360 action-adventure game), to get inspiration and ideas from the fighting moves and attacks they use in the game. It's also a good opportunity to observe special effects and perspective, environmental and weapon design in the game.

There's 2 songs in the game which I personally find very sweet and hot to listen to:

Fly me to the moon (Climax mix)

Lets' dance, boys!

I'm waiting for this book to arrive from the library, to see whether I can get new insights to drawing the head, and achieve more likeness than what I'm getting now. All my face drawings suck big-time!

I've been drawing quite a bit of faces from A4-size magazine photos recently that my drawing-from-life skills are starting to take a dip, but I'm gonna strike a 50-50% balance between the two.

In some of the recent drawings below, I left the lines as they are, because I don't wanna waste time refining these things too much. The time could be better spent on actual drawing.

Photo ref for Ford Crown Victoria for my CA Sketchgroup "The Penvirate" bi-weekly project:

And my drawings of faces:

Below is the longest drawing I've ever done since the first day I took up drawing. Almost 4 hours, and the result is The Ultimate Portrait of Failure:

My Sharon Stone looks more like Michael Jackson + transvestite mix:

As recommended by a certain Ms. RedHawk, I've started drawing 3/4 self-portraits. Maybe it's because of my mirror setups, but the image on the mirror looks really small and I can't make out the features / shapes / edges of the foreshortened side of the face clearly.
    I've decided to draw more of these from now. 3/4 self-portraits seems to take much faster to complete:

Before I went for dinner, I did a frontal self-portrait without much touching up. I remember Monsieur Ingres once said something about "honest drawings".

I've 2 more weeks of work, then I'll be leaving the corporate world, and embark on my new life. I'll be flying to the moon, passing Cloud 9, reaching Elysium...

The thought of being able to draw still life setups with others in a class and life drawing makes me high.

More drawings over the next few week, though to be honest, I'm still stuck at the same old level.

Good day,
    Xeon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Xeon, nice faces! I'm just a beginner so take anything I say with a grain of salt. If I could make a suggestion, try taking the photo into Photoshop or Gimp or whatever and desaturating it so you are just working with black and white. That should make it easier to see the values.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to kmoeini For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    xeon jesus man your portraits are just getting better and better! i don't know wat else to say but keep it up. i hope you can see your improvement as much as i can.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to PermaN00b For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Line drawing is getting pretty strong.

For "mass drawing"-- the use of tone, you need to start working with some charcoal-- vine charcoal on "laid paper," charcoal pencils on "newsprint."

You won't like it for your line drawing, at first, 'cause it's brittle and goes dull quick. But, the above tools, on the above surfaces, will give you the greater control of "modelling" that you're working on.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agree your lines are strong, just wondering though, what makes the paper look so weird? I mean it looks like the draw3ing is like fading in to the paper. Not sure how to discribe(no spell check at school sorry if some spelling is wrong >.<) it. You are still not "looking" at the faces to get their likness down. Lol you are really good at though still life but still need working on the looking for details lol. Anyway good job keep it upz.

P.S. I have always wondered what is that in picture two? I've seen you draw it like 100 times lol

The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Diarum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

You are still not "looking" at the faces to get their likness down. Lol you are really good at though still life but still need working on the looking for details lol. Anyway good job keep it upz.
    I wish it was that easy! A lot of times, though, while you can see clearly the lines and contours of the subject, but when you get down to actually drawing it, it becomes a totally different issue.

Agree your lines are strong, just wondering though, what makes the paper look so weird? I mean it looks like the draw3ing is like fading in to the paper.
    My drawing is fading into the paper? Maybe because I'm using the kneaded erase to soften the outer edges and lines (especially those faces)? Not sure if that's what you mean.

P.S. I have always wondered what is that in picture two? I've seen you draw it like 100 times lol
    LOL, that's the F-clamp. It's a small mechanical device you clamp to your table to get it to hold some other subject still. Usually used for carpentry works. It's handy to carry around and yet a challenge to draw, especially the ellipses.

--------------------------------
    UPDATE:

Haven't been drawing much these 3 weeks due to work and miscellaneous issues to settle before school begins. And the less you draw, the LESS you feel like drawing. It's like, once you stop for a while, the momentum slowly dies down and you lose the groove.
    In fact, my drawings actually got worse!

I'm slowly picking up my pencil these couple of days and will get back into the groove soon.

Not much to show; mostly quick sketches and all failed drawings of faces:

Top corner face: Victoria Beckham

Anne Hathaway:

Bi-weekly assignment for The Penvirate:

Photo ref for above drawing:

Kate Winslet: The Ultimate Portrait of Fail. It's so bad it's good. EPIC. Fuck yeah (quoted from Kool-Ka-Lang in his "Fuck yeah!" thread).

Princess Grace Kelly of Monaco. My most respected Hollywood celebrity. The drawing is screwed up, though.

Good night,
    Xeon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey nice stuff so far. When you're copying from a photo, try thinking of it not as an image of something familiar, like "a woman's face," but instead as a series of abstract interlocking shapes. Imagine if you cut out the neck in that last picture with a scissors. the silhouette of the neck would be completely abstract, unrecognizable. Try to draw that unrecognizable shape. Also concentrate on shadows. Lines don't really exist, so it's difficult ascribing lines to a photo. Try focusing on light and shade. Make up your drawing by drawing the abstract shapes of the darkest shadows. You'll find that by drawing the shadow, rather than "hair," or "a nose," your drawings will magically come together into something recognizable.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to papervampire For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Xeon,

Re Kate Winslet: you're "off model" a bit, but that is still a very nice drawing.

You're being a little too hard on yourself on that one!

48. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your work is coming along, keep at it. Some pointers that might help you out, when doing a portrait worry less about getting 100% likeness and worry more on focusing on the general areas of a face. You seem to compare way too much to the photo reference and focusing on the small details, this makes you miss the larger construction problems. You seem to be missing the general shape of the head when doing a portrait, you focus on the face and then add in hair. By doing this in some of the portraits the model's head looks disproportionate. Also when doing the hair, try breaking it into larger shapes not just lines.
    Your doing very well, keep practicing and you'll keep improving.

Check out my sketchbook: Draw or Die

50. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Young For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good, your faces seem to be improving quite a bit. Can I ask if you have done any Loomis face studies? If not, I highly recommend them, they really help understand how the face works in various angles. Keep up the good work!

52. The Following User Says Thank You to cgaddict For This Useful Post:

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 10