Sketchbook: One Nice Day - Page 21
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Thread: One Nice Day

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_ View Post
    man is there a lot of work here! i see a lot of technical practices and thats good but dont forget to apply it either! cool sb!
    I remain amazed at just how much work Xeon has done in a relatively short time, and how much progress he made. I think we should now petition him to start a web comic - I can't wait to see the applied results of all the hard work. :-)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to blogmatix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the kind comments, folks!

@ BlogMatrix: Web comic? LOL , not now. I've been doing mostly studies so far and haven't drawn any shit from imagination for like......half a year or so. LOL Soon, soon!

-------------------------UPDATE------------------------------

Have just purchased the Aftershock XM17 custom laptop and waiting for it to arrive around next Thursday or so, then I'll be able to connect the Intuous 4 to this heavenly beast and practice painting in my home!
    With 24 GB of RAM, it should be enough to handle paintings at A0 size / 300 DPI with 250+ layers in Photoshop turned on, with no lag. :p

I'm planning a short family trip to some nearby country end December. Maybe Malaysia.

I've also started using copic markers to do my head and figure drawings.
    Not sure why, but the markers finished up real fast, in 2 weeks. This is my 2nd batch, and if it gets used up so fast, I'm considering watercolor instead. Maybe it's because I'm using thick paper? Not sure.

I do the lay-in using a light copic marker, then draw on it using pen (the marker lay-in helps reduce the pen lines somewhat, since I've a bad habit of over-construction), then I switch to copics again, this time using 2 darker markers for the shadow and core shadow. Used another 2 - 3 grey markers for the hair and a peach color to make the skin look more humane.

Drawings for the past 6 weeks below:

Will be practicing more on drawing hands and feet. Fucking hard as hell, especially drawing the palm side of the hand and the feet from underneath etc.

I've also started reading Hogarth's book on drapery. I'm not a fan of Hogarth, but his drapery book trounces all others, including Vilppu's! Sad to say, since Vilppu is my god. Well......

The end of the year is coming! End of the world 2012? That's bullshit, because I'll still be drawing all the way into the New Year! Cheers!!!

Next update: 23 December 2012 (approx)

Good day!
    Xeon

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xeon_OND For This Useful Post:

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey X....

Good work as usual.

I know you like critiques, so take into consideration what I'm saying at least.

What I'm seeing in many of your head drawings (especially) and it also manifests itself in some hand and figure drawings: there's a loss of "the whole"...

In some ways, "the whole" means symmetry. For instance, if I compare one eye to the other eye, and then both eyes to the face... they very often look crooked.

Example: http://www.oneniceday.com/Artwork/2101.jpg

If you flip the image horizontally, you may see the mistake a bit better. Compare the right eye (our left) to the left jaw (our right). Then compare both eyes to each other. By and large this drawing is an improvement on your past drawings... but it still suffers the "loss of the whole" (it's skewed).

This always comes back to not seeing "the whole", and the cause is "drawing by parts".

Drawing "by parts" means you draw a head shape. Then you draw an eye. Then you draw a nose. Then you draw a mouth. Then you go down and draw an arm. You're focusing on each individual feature by itself. You're trying to get these individual shapes very precise; but what happens when drawing this way is you tend to lose the relationship of these parts to the whole. The pieces never seem to play well together.

Drawing is all about relationships. You have to keep one side of the head in your peripheral vision while drawing the other side. You have to keep the eye you've just drawn in your peripheral vision when drawing the other eye. This is called "relating". If you notice, even Vilppu uses the term "relate". This means that each line, each shape, each feature you draw fits with everything else you've already drawn.

There's really no other way of doing that than keeping what you've already drawn in a sort of "peripheral vision" when you're drawing the next feature.

Anyway... keep up the good work... and consider what I've said at least

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Sage! What you've just said is very enlightening (yes, I love negative feedback)!

This is one big-ass major problem I'm having now. I tried to draw the construction lines as accurately as I can so that the features align, but everytime when I flip them over in Photoshop, everything goes skewed. Maybe it's a cock-eye problem. I'll try your advice, and try to keep the other stuff in my sight when I'm drawing a particular thing. To be honest, I never try this before (I always lay in the construction in one shot, then go in and draw the individual parts etc.)

Thanks!
    Xeon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool It's Chinese New Year!

Yes! 2012 is gone. It's been a crazy year now that I think of it.

The earlier half of 2012 was about rushing school assignments and cramping as much art stuff as I can absorb before school finishes, while the second half the year was being lucky enough to get into a company and doing user interfaces. It's not what I learned in school, but doing something new for a change is not a bad thing as long as it's art-related (actually, it's possible to apply art stuff when designing icons and buttons etc).

The good thing, though, is that every now and then, work is lesser and thus I've the time to practice my painting and drawing.

I'm currently working on my own concept art project and will alternate to-and-fro the usual anatomy / technical studies, because doing the latter alone makes it slower to absorb (because there's no application and you're just doing routine stuff). I'll be posting the artwork and concepts for this project at another site. I've purchased the domain name and will post the link here once the initial sketches and processes are ready.

I've been playing Super Street Fighter 4 : Arcade Edition 2012 at home and fighting with my colleague LOL
    My main character is Juri (awesome character design, btw); used to be Ryu but got tired of him.

Below are some digital paintings done during work (not part of the work, but personal practice. SHhhhhhh......:p)

They are referenced from photos; but once the painting starts coming together, I rely less and less on the photo and start painting it the way I see fit.
    The more complete environments are done in about 8 hours, some slightly less, some slightly more.
    The head paintings are done in about 8 - 12 hours (on and off).

I use the default hard round brush (Shape Dynamics + Transfer [Pen pressure + Flow]) and the default hard round eraser for all paintings. This way, I don't get distracted by fancy custom brushes.

Paintings below are not in any date, but generally speaking, the more completed ones are the latest ones.

Below head is a style study of one of Johannes Helgeson's paintings. His work is at : http://www.helgesonart.blogspot.com
    I really love this kind of animation style and plan to learn this sort of style together with anatomy studies.

Learning to paint fire. It seems one can paint decent looking fire by painting a soft glowing orange-red hue, then overlap harsh yellows in the middle, then overlap white on top of the yellows:

This is a painting done last year, in August.

Study of Goro Fujita's painting:

No dates for the next update; most probably sometime in March!

Again, any comments or feedback is highly welcomed and appreciated!

Good day!
    Xeon

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Xeon_OND For This Useful Post:

Zazerzs is online now ....bing me the bore worms Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have improved so much "never give up never surrender "

"Talent is a word found in the mouth of the lazy to dismiss the hard work of those who have achieved."
    Anatomy Thread
    Sketchbook
    Interested in learning more about color? Read this!
    Fletcher:Color Control

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zazerzs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies! You are really making progress. I especially like how you painted the fruit So keep them coming!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Yinari For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wink

Long long update! Please bear with me. Many things to write in this blog due to accumulated backlog.

Yup, judging from the title, one can guess that I've been dabbling in Naruto recently. Never cared about the manga / anime in the past cos' the graphics and faces look crappy. I mean, the costume designs of most of the characters look so normal and boring etc., yet it's such a hit???!!! I guess it's because of the really DEEP story; their fighting moves design are so deep and not just stuff like "The Fist of death!" or "Thousand leg kick!".

After seeing some youtube xBox 360 gameplay of Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 3, I was hooked by the fighting animation and graphics.
    The game graphics is cel-shaded characters against a fully-rendered background (effects are fully-rendered too). This style is rather popular nowadays since it looks so vibrant and clean. Another example is Rayman Origins from Ubisoft.

Regarding the blog, I'll update it every month now (I promise). Back then when this site first started, the goal was to keep a log to spur myself on so that I don't give up within the first few months. Now that almost 4 years have passed since then, that motivation is still in me to draw, and so, blog or no blog, I'm drawing. But yeah, this site will still be updated!

Some updates:

Work: Still going good so far. Still doing user interfaces for the games and graphic designs for events.
    But good thing is: I get to spend several hours at work practicing my own stuff daily, and still go back at 6.30 PM every day and get a salary, which is a blessing!
    Thing though, is that I don't intend to spend all my life as a graphic designer, it's not what I really want (read below "The future").

The Hellish Government Bond: Cheers! My bond with the government is ending soon.....in 3 weeks time! Back then at art school, I was so terrified every night that I would be owning the government S$35000+ if I can't fulfill their conditions (find a job within 1 year + work at that job for 1 year). Now that the bond is ending, I'm a FREE MAN!!!! Yahoo!!!!!

My Art:Still at the same spot. LOL But nowadays, I'm narrowing down my area of studies: painting different materials / surfaces, drawing animals and drawing drapery. I'm drawing less figures for now, since I just realized I've no idea how to draw anything other than figures, and not that my figures are good either; still lacking in correctness.

The future:Currently doing my own series of cute-sey characters and intending to put them on merchandise to sell and try to make some extra $ by the side, even if it's just $1 of profit after 5 years LOL Haven't thought about the selling / marketing part yet, but definitely no Cafepress or the like. I'm trying the traditional route, most likely. Designs are still on-going and will be done before end July (hopefully), but target audience will be little girls. Crap, no, I'm not a pedophile. When the time comes, most likely I'll look for a partner to do the marketing / sales for me while I do the back-end.
    Of course, my dream would be that this would take off some day so that I can quit my day job.....but to be realistic, that day may or may not come. That's another hurdle to cross soon.

The good old days:Many times, I can't help but feel nostalgic. In the past when I was working at a shipping company, I would dream of myself in an art-related job. Now that I've an art-related job, I miss the good old days, Those days, I would take out my Keys to Drawing book at night, flip the pages and do the exercises etc. Back then, drawing was purely for drawing sake. It was like really innocent fun. Somehow, when drawing gets fused with commercial stuff with the politics and industry, most of the purity and fun is gone, though it's still fun in a certain way. A very different way.

And now, on to the drawings and paintings! (actually, mostly studies LOL)

Not sure why most people seem to be able to draw drapery with ease, but to me, it seems even harder than figure drawing. It's almost impossible to see where one fold ends and where the next begins since they fade into each other; all of the folds are melding into each other and your eyes just go round and round on the drapery in infinity trying to trace the start / end points.
    I intend to give myself 2 years to learn drapery.

Been going to an un-guided figure drawing session every Thursday night after work.
    It's insanity at its best: All the poses below are from 60 seconds to 10 mins at most. 10 MINUTES!!!! How do I have the time to observe and understand in this amount of time!!!
    Sometimes the anatomy and pose is so complex that you need time to figure and analyze what's happening. However, the teacher in charge (he's the organizer and not instructor in this case), can still end up with a white-chalk-sanguine-drawing-on-toned-paper that looks just like Vilppu's works. If I have one thing to say, it would be the 4-letter F word.

Most of the people there are students and from what I see, many just end up with very loose scribbles (meaning, 10 minute pose looks like 60 second drawing). They need to throw in 30 mins poses.
    In Vilppu's interview DVD, he says he only has short poses when he was studying at Art Center. I wonder how he even learned that way. Guess maybe he was just born to draw and excel without hard work.

Materials study. I'm trying to practice them to the point where I can paint X material from imagination.

I'm using 3D Studio Max to render specific materials as reference, then paint from those reference. Because I can rotate objects and adjust the lights in 3Dsmax, it gives me a much clearer idea of why certain things behave a certain way, compared to using photos. It's hard to get some of these effects from life due to lack of lighting equipment etc. (besides, I'm doing all these in the office, so obviously I can't draw from life LOL)

Have started learning clouds and then I'll go back to metals and plastics again, then to wood, then back to plastic metal clouds wood, then to new materials etc...

That's all!

Next update: 7 July 2013

Good day!
    Xeon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    xeon. Glad to hear about the grant and job situation. I have so far failed on the job front so it's always good to hear people being successful! Those material studies are really, really nice. Also digging the pen on that red paper, very cool.

Keep being awesome!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikHolfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tks Eek! I just realized that I've confused you with another member here on CA for the past 1 year or so. His user name is eezaques@nl.... or something LOL
    Glad to see you're back! Keep up on the monkey paintings. The fur is really good. And it seems your style is slowly coming out (the shapes of the characters).

Are you still studying now? Don't give up on the job front yet. It's nothing glorious for me either: it's mainly graphic design type of stuff and occasional "art-related" stuff, but I got in as the school has some connections with the employers. If you're in a school, they might have contacts too!

Good luck!
    Xeon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the support xeon. I've been out of school for a while now actually. My school didn't really know what to do with me in terms of helping me get a job. Just comes down to I don't have a good portfolio, so it's hard! But I'll keep looking around and all that. Eventually I'm sure I'll get some kind of job!

Thanks for the art comments too. Keep up your own work as well!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Xeon. Nice materials. Clouds are coming along good too. I love painting clouds.

Keep it up!

My SKETCHBOOK

Check it out and help me get better.

My folio website: http://www.haydenzammit.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice to hear from you, Hayden! Hoping to see more of your 3D work. Do you have a CGHub account?

Update!!!! The digital studies at the bottom may increase the loading time, just bear with it.

75% of the drawings below are done from a life drawing session every Thursday. I've also gradually switched to the chalk pastel pencils due to their texture (which I love) and using less of the pen. Everytime when I use the pen, I just get overwhelmed by the fear of "oh no, if the line I put down is the wrong line, it's the end of me". Makes the drawing so tense and stressful and it's harder to "feel" that way.

Also, next week, I'll be asking the guy in charge of the drawing session to critique my drawings, though it's an un-instructed session. I mean, after all, this guy is a direct student of Vilppu and not some sight-seeing teacher who does the atelier style.

Speaking of life drawing, I encountered a guy at the session, 17 years old kid, who draws using brush pen and also does some drawings in charcoal. He draws in an extreme style that is so vibrant and overpowering that I nearly crap in my pants. The guy in charge was so impressed that he squatted down and admire that kid's drawings one by one. He's only 17 years old, but his drawings quality easily rival most of the top guys in the industry based on what I saw. In fact, his drawings probably give Vilppu's gestures a run for his money. No kidding. I give him a nickname called The Demon. Hopefully there'll be a chance to take photos of his work and post them here. Fucking insane. The chinese say "There's a heaven beyond heaven". I now know it's true.

I'm so scared now that I need to work harder.

The poses in the life drawing session is 10 mins at max for nude, 20 mins for costumed.

20 min drapery from life drawing. Have TOTALLY NO IDEA what the hell I was doing.

For below pose in the life session, the pencil broke halfway during the original drawing, so I switch to pen and started on a new one (no time to re-sharpen). Ended up screwing the whole thing in terms of proportions and everything.

99% of digital studies below done using the default hard round brush with the roundness set to 4% and angled a bit. I really love the look this brush gives.

Gonna be doing more snow studies and then moving on to ice, crystal, reflections of water, then back to metal, plastic... again.
    Then, it's time to do hundreds of thousands of millions of studies of human faces.

It'll be a fun ride ahead!

Next update: 10 August 2013

Good day!
    Xeon

Last edited by Xeon_OND; July 13th, 2013 at 11:32 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your ocean waves, waterfalls and trees are looking cool, keep up the studies, looks like you are learning quite a bit.

Sketchbook - freakmod wants to learn how to draw really well

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Tks for dropping by, Freakmod!

--------------------UPDATE------------------

Since about 3 weeks ago, I bought those woodless Cretacolor sanguine oil sticks and use a lead holder to encase them and draw with it so that I can use those overhand / violin bow and side grips etc for more line variety and the ability to "feel" more, rather than in the writing position. But the lead holder feels awkward to hold, so I got rid of it a few days ago, and realized that if I break the sanguine stick into 2 , and use the shorter piece to draw, it feels so natural. It's like holding a piece of small chalk in your hand, and the tool becomes part of your hand.

Currently also watching the Stan Prokopenko videos. This guy is amazing!

Anyway, drawings and studies below. I must admit, the new way of holding the tool can be a bit hard to adjust to.
    And yes, still struggling with drapery. Especially zig-zag folds. Crap.

I didn't adjust the scanner brightness etc, and turns out all the scanned stuff were too pale and faint, so I use photoshop levels to bump them up dramatically. Might have affected the tones though. Crap.

Poses below are mostly 5 - 10 min poses. The really rough ones are 2 mins I think. 2 mins ones from photos.

Currently, I'm pretty sick of doing environment studies, so next week onwards to end of this year, will be head studies and paintings, and paint studies of various parts of the human body. To be honest, up till now, I still haven't really done any real digital figure painting! LOL

The time has come. But I'll still jump back into material and environment studies now and then to break the monotony.

Next update: 1 September 2013

That's all for now.

Good night!
    Xeon

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Members who have read this thread: 9