Sketchbook: One Nice Day - Page 17
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: One Nice Day

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Thanks for pointing out the mistakes, guys! I appreciate that!

@ Diarum: U better update your SB soon or I'll set a rottweiler on your arse! Or a Doberman. Or a Pit bull mastiff.

@ Sage: FINALLY! Your new SB is out! Been waiting for that for ages! Now, if you don't mind, I would like to stalk it for some time to study from it.
    The piles of papers you've stacked on the chair in that photo actually makes me feel lazy!

Good day!
    Xeon

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking through your sketchbook, I am impressed by just how much progress you have made since you started it. You have earned it: I have not counted, but you have made a LOT of drawings! Keep up the good work; you are truly an inspiration.

You're pretty good with ballpoint pen. Do you first draw lightly in pencil, or are you a brave soul who jumps straight in with the pen?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to blogmatix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by blogmatix View Post
    Do you first draw lightly in pencil, or are you a brave soul who jumps straight in with the pen?
    Thanks Matrix! Nah, I just jump in with the pen. IMO, it's a waste of time to draw with the pencil and then trace over it with the pen, unless one is trying to do some inking or professional work.

Btw, you should experiment with pens too. I used to think the HB pencil is the sexiest object in the world and would draw with nothing but it, but after trying the pen and other mediums, well....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon_OND View Post
    Thanks Matrix! Nah, I just jump in with the pen. IMO, it's a waste of time to draw with the pencil and then trace over it with the pen, unless one is trying to do some inking or professional work.

Btw, you should experiment with pens too. I used to think the HB pencil is the sexiest object in the world and would draw with nothing but it, but after trying the pen and other mediums, well....
    I have drawn a lot with ballpoint in the past. I sort of go through phases with it. I use it mostly for drawing in sketchbooks, because pencil tends to get smudged. I like it because it is a sort of modern equivalent of Renaissance silverpoint: one can get somewhat similar effects with it. And because you can't erase, it is just as exhilarating and terrifying. ;-)

Ah, here are some old sketches in ballpoint:

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/a...5-8572_IMG.jpg

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/a...4-8495_IMG.jpg

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/a...3-8378_IMG.jpg

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/a...4-8406_IMG.jpg

Another thing I like about ballpoint: one can get an etch-like sort of effect with it, and I like etchings.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to blogmatix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, your hard work is very inspiring. Do you have any tips to keep oneself motivated as you are?

My Sketchbook (started drawing in July, 2011)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Motoko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by blogmatix View Post
    I have drawn a lot with ballpoint in the past. I sort of go through phases with it. I use it mostly for drawing in sketchbooks, because pencil tends to get smudged. I like it because it is a sort of modern equivalent of Renaissance silverpoint: one can get somewhat similar effects with it. And because you can't erase, it is just as exhilarating and terrifying. ;-)

Ah, here are some old sketches in ballpoint:

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/a...5-8572_IMG.jpg

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/a...4-8495_IMG.jpg

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/a...3-8378_IMG.jpg

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/a...4-8406_IMG.jpg
    Wow, your pen drawings are great! Especially the lady with the turban thing on her head!

Quote Originally Posted by Motoko View Post
    Wow, your hard work is very inspiring. Do you have any tips to keep oneself motivated as you are?
    There's a way to force yourself to be "motivated". Make it a point to draw something everyday even if you don't feel like it. Once you do it consistently long enough like it's some kind of DO-THIS-OR-DIE ritual, your soul will start getting used to it and you've no choice but to work hard. It will become 2nd nature.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

School has started 2 weeks ago! Have to constantly fight against the tight school schedule to do my own drawings. :cry:

Joined another class for life drawing sessions 2 - 3 weeks ago, of which I fell into the trap of wanting to produce "complete" drawings within each 40-min pose. As usual, relied on mainly contours as I have no idea which muscle is which:

After doing the last drawing above, I found myself getting hit by an art burnout. The burnout lasted 1 week and took another week to go away. During this period, I felt all art was disgusting and gross. Good thing about burnouts is that you come out from it feeling refreshed and recharged! I should get more burnouts! LOL

Joined another class 3 weeks ago and did some animal drawings projected onto the wall. Most of the poses were 2 mins. LOL. A fun change from the usual figure drawing sessions:

Our figure drawing teacher this term was the same old gentleman who taught us storyboarding last semester.

This gentleman, whenever he talks about Vilppu, would be full of vigor. For the 2nd time, I hear him ranting "Vilppu is a modern day Michelangelo". I believe I can understand why he feels so excited whenever he talks about the master.

Been waiting for eons for someone trained in the classical drawing approach to show me something about this craft. How many days, how many years? Perhaps the wait has ended.

On the other hand, the man tells us to hold the pencil in a painful grip that looks like this:

According to him, we should hold the pencil this way so that we can feel the flow of the gesture. Personally, I believe as long as one can feel the gesture, it doesn't matter whichever way one holds the medium, since the feel comes from within and not from the hand. Some gestures done on that same day with the nasty grip. Each gesture was about 5 - 10 mins, if I remember:

Managed to regain some of my manhood last 3 weeks, not by popping blue pills, but by going to the Three Gardens to draw, and to heal my broken art soul. The big black ants generally don't bother me much, though one did came up and sniff my shorts, trying to figure out what I am.

The tranquility around Jurong Lake Park will probably not last for long, as the government seems to have begun work around the area. Saw huge expanses of greenery being dug up and excavators crawling all over. The guy who proposed this plan needs to have his neck wringed. How many more hotels and shopping malls does this tiny island need? Leave Nature alone!

Did below tree drawing in the midst of dragonflies atop a slope. In the company of dragonflies, man is safest from all nasty insects like mosquitoes and the like.
    The tree itself was a challenge to draw with ink, as the leaves of the tree are feathery and soft, and the tree, seen as a whole, looks dreamy and hazy. Tried using all-vertical strokes to suggest the hazy look. Non-ink mediums would be better for this, I guess:

The noon sunlight was getting too harsh and painful for the eyes, so I quickly scribbled in the tree before leaving:

I've realized that elevation perspective is not practical for actual purposes, since it makes the whole drawing too messy, especially for more complex buildings, unless one uses layers of tracing paper.

Have started piling the Pectoralis Major and Trapezius these 3 weeks.
    Still have plenty to learn as muscles are very complicated and confusing:

Currently experimenting with the Reilly method on top of the Loomis approach to break the head construction down further into smaller planes:

Couldn't resist using the Polychromos to do a self-portrait, and so...
    Tried to apply construction to my self-portrait by laying in the units etc, then drawing the face on top. Result? FREAKISH. Parents of disobedient kids should print out a copy of this and use it to scare their children:

From above mistake, I've since learned that in portraiture, one cannot rely too much on construction knowledge. It's more like 10% construction, 90% observational drawing, because...actual faces are considerably different from the construction stuff found in books.

Feeling indignant, I woke up yesterday morning to do another one.
    Note to self: Nostrils are a bit flared and width of face is a bit narrower than the actual face. The process is faster, more enjoyable and less painful if one uses construction lay-in initially, instead of using pure contour for the entire drawing

Resolution for the next 2 weeks:
    i) Continue gesture
    ii) Continue studying SCM, Pectoralis and Trapezius
    iii) Start learning the Deltoid, and if there's time, the Teres Major
    iv) Get comfortable with the Reilly face chart and if there's time, start breaking the planes down based on that
    v) Continue going to the Three Gardens like last few weeks. No more slacking off again.
    vi) Do at least 1 more self-portrait!

Next update: 2 August 2011

Till then!
    Qi

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Xeon_OND For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Xeon,

I really like this combined image:

I think it's a milestone for you-- it shows a solid handling of both mechanical and organic forms-- in pen no less.

I understand what you're saying about head construction-- I'm also trying to use/reconcile volumetric construction with the live model-- trying to do layouts with volumes, not lines, not easy!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got quite an inspiring sketchbook here, your figures are great but your inks are really quite superb, thoroughly enjoyed skimming through them, keep working hard (as you do) you're doing very well.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Invalid User For This Useful Post:

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hello again, Mr. XD

The lines you are getting with the blue pen are getting really good; I'm getting jealous

For the self portraits--you're right... observation is quite important. However, knowledge of facial structure and construction is essential to producing a confident and strong drawing from imagination.

It takes a lot of practice, but I find that using lines that radiate from common points on the center line of a portrait help keep the proportions in check and help relate one side of the face to the other. I still think you're tending to draw features like the eyes out of a concept of "eyes" instead of from observation.

Study the images in Vanderpoel to see how eyes can be drawn and then apply that knowledge to what you see in the mirror when drawing the self portraits.

Cheers and keep working.

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

17. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey there , i see that you develop too much from page 1 to 17 , you have a good gestures and i like enviroment sketches , heads studies
    all i have to say is keep it up man

WaSSIM

Change is such hard work

Sketchbook - Blog

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Wassim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by WaSsiM View Post
    hey there , i see that you develop too much from page 1 to 17 , you have a good gestures and i like enviroment sketches , heads studies
    all i have to say is keep it up man

WaSSIM
    How do you develop too much?
    Great work Xeon, I know I know Istill have uploaded anything, I TRUST ME, I would have like 5 pages(forum pages) to post if and when I get around to it, which I prob won't upload that much because I don't like 99.9% of it! I am in the process of doing all 19/20 assignments for this study group, so I will upload all of those when I am finished, which should be soon....I hope...!

The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Diarum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by p sage View Post
    Hello again, Mr. XD The lines you are getting with the blue pen are getting really good; I'm getting jealous
    LOL, not really! They're actually a bit rough in the initial lay-in, just that after the thing is done, I use more strength to draw over the entire thing and that's why the lines look smoother!

Study the images in Vanderpoel to see how eyes can be drawn and then apply that knowledge to what you see in the mirror when drawing the self portraits.
    Thanks for the feedback! I dunno about the eyes, though. I just try to follow the contours but I must admit it's hard. In the near future when I start studying the structure of an eye, I hope it will look better. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by WaSsiM View Post
    [B]hey there , i see that you develop too much from page 1 to 17 , you have a good gestures and i like enviroment sketches , heads studies all i have to say is keep it up man
    One of my gripes about learning art is that one needs to work very hard consistently before one can even see any hint of improvement, if at all! Grrrrr. I wish art is like playing an RPG. You grind for 14 hours and you end up being a lvl 89 warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by Diarum View Post
    I still have uploaded anything, I TRUST ME, I would have like 5 pages(forum pages) to post if and when I get around to it, which I prob won't upload that much because I don't like 99.9% of it! I am in the process of doing all 19/20 assignments for this study group, so I will upload all of those when I am finished, which should be soon....I hope...!
    Not an excuse, Diarum Dude! Just post what you draw, even if you think it sucks! Otherwise, you won't get around to posting anything. It's time I hire a maid to clear away the thick cobwebs in your SB.

Quote Originally Posted by Invalid User View Post
    You've got quite an inspiring sketchbook here, your figures are great but your inks are really quite superb, thoroughly enjoyed skimming through them, keep working hard (as you do) you're doing very well.
    Thanks for the encouragement!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yya great update!loving the garden drawings those are good man and lots of study you post.that is great progress keep it going!

My sketchbook.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...=203100&page=7

Awesome artist and friends

Nkristian

24. The Following User Says Thank You to strangedawn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! What a nice studies! Pen works are great! Of course it is necessary to do a lot of work, but progress is obvious! So keep posting)

sketchbook
    my web Looking for a work

Помогите c активностью форуму-скетчбуку mentalant.com

26. The Following User Says Thank You to n1frit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ehh, Good Job! I am well... near your position with Vilppu, I'm studying figure drawing as a next step beyond Portraits ; Anyways, In gestural drawing, there was a certain tool that improved my gestural drawings like... tenfold and overnight; I don't know If you already know about it or not but well... It's the 30-second pose tool, In short, Head to posemaniacs.com and click on thirty-second pose; Full-screen it, be sure to have a LOT of paper [You will really need alot] and have a mechanical pencil [Constant sharpening at this pace would be impossible] and draw each pose that will be shown in 30-second intervals, I personally started with 60 seconds in the first hour [That's 60 figures per that hour only] and then 30 seconds in the second two hours [That's 240 figures!] I use pretty cheap A4 paper for this, I basically just woke up, sat down with a heck lot of paper for 3 hours and blast! afterwards I found that gesture flowed very smoothly for me.
    You gotta try it .
    I also wanted to ask concerning Vilppu, Do you follow the manual or the DVDs? I personally have the manual from the day before yesterday, I sit with it for about 4-6 hours a ay and draw, copy a lot from it and so on; Reached page 141 out of 178, Will probably be finished with the light chapters by tommorow; I'm seeing goood improvement, but well, I couldn't benefit much at all from his anatomy, have you reached there yet? I plan after Vilppu to begin reading Hampton, obviously Hampton's style is a bit clearer and well... I'm heading there for anatomy!
    Thanks and Good Job!

P.S: If you hate the muscle-shapes of PoseManiacs, I [just now, before sleep] discovered this one, which is slightly more advanced, and looks waay better with real models.

Last edited by Necron33; July 25th, 2011 at 11:41 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Necron33 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the replies, folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Necron33 View Post
    I'm studying figure drawing as a next step beyond Portraits ; Anyways, In gestural drawing, there was a certain tool that improved my gestural drawings like... tenfold and overnight; I don't know If you already know about it or not but well... It's the 30-second pose tool, In short, Head to posemaniacs.com and click on thirty-second pose; Full-screen it, be sure to have a LOT of paper [You will really need alot] and have a mechanical pencil [Constant sharpening at this pace would be impossible] and draw each pose that will be shown in 30-second intervals, I personally started with 60 seconds in the first hour [That's 60 figures per that hour only] and then 30 seconds in the second two hours [That's 240 figures!] I use pretty cheap A4 paper for this, I basically just woke up, sat down with a heck lot of paper for 3 hours and blast! afterwards I found that gesture flowed very smoothly for me.

You gotta try it .
    LOL, I used to try PoseManiacs for a while sometime back. I agree that it kinda significantly helps to improve one's gestures and the ability to get more used to drawing crazy positions, but currently, I'm focusing more on gesture drawing from real humans in photos as they're better than PM.
    Nothing beats drawing from life, of course, but photo refs are the next best thing.

I also wanted to ask concerning Vilppu, Do you follow the manual or the DVDs? I personally have the manual from the day before yesterday, I sit with it for about 4-6 hours a ay and draw, copy a lot from it and so on; Reached page 141 out of 178, Will probably be finished with the light chapters by tommorow; I'm seeing goood improvement, but well, I couldn't benefit much at all from his anatomy, have you reached there yet?
    I do have his drawing manual and some of his DVDs, but personally, I find that the drawing manual is too brief for beginners. If one already knows something about figurative drawing prior to reading it, then one can more easily understand what he's talking about.

I seldom use his manual except for copying his gesture drawings in chapter 1 quite some time ago. His DVDs are better, but for someone my level, it gets rather overwhelming at times, since the master himself tends to delve into lots of anatomy and the nuts and bolts of things.

I use Hampton's book as my main source of learning since it's easier to digest, then refer to Vilppu's vids when needed. I'm also refering to Sheldon's anatomy vids (Sheldon Borenstein = one of Vilppu's more famous student), since it's easier to understand than Vilppu's as well.

I don't really copy drawings from books, although I do use them as reference, and after understanding the stuff, I try to construct my own version based on them. Not sure if you're doing the same, but I find that copying drawings, especially copying the contour lines of drawings in books, helps little.

P.S: If you hate the muscle-shapes of PoseManiacs, I [just now, before sleep] discovered this one, which is slightly more advanced, and looks waay better with real models.
    LOL, I've tried that before, but what I do now is to collect pics from porn sites (girl-only poses with no intercourse whatsoever) and then use Irfanview to slideshow the images every 90 seconds for gestures. Have about 859 images in my hard disk now. You should try it too!

Btw, do you have a SB somewhere? LOL

Good day!
    Xeon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your last update, you improved so much! Espesially your gestures and landscapes))

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

LOL, I used to try PoseManiacs for a while sometime back. I agree that it kinda significantly helps to improve one's gestures and the ability to get more used to drawing crazy positions, but currently, I'm focusing more on gesture drawing from real humans in photos as they're better than PM.
    Nothing beats drawing from life, of course, but photo refs are the next best thing.
    Ehh, Posemaniacs' crazy positions are nothing but just cameras tilted and so, They'd train you better on a higher level of thinking, I guess so.
    I also draw from photos but when drawing from photos, I immediately after the gesture and construction stage directly turn realist and produce a realist copy rather than work on value using construction.
    Life drawing, well... I've got no models here, atleast not around my area, and Models are... extremely expensive here; I live in Cairo.

I do have his drawing manual and some of his DVDs, but personally, I find that the drawing manual is too brief for beginners. If one already knows something about figurative drawing prior to reading it, then one can more easily understand what he's talking about.
    I already knew a lot about figurative drawing, but Vilppu's Anatomical shapes are not clear at all, It is near-impossible to comprehend what is he talking about in relation to anatomy, I overviewed Hampton's sections on anatomy and they are much clearer, I plan to finally finish Vilppu's sections on shade today + a PoseManiacs session then move on to Norling's Perspective Made Easy, It's time to tackle the mystery out of perspective!
    I seldom use his manual except for copying his gesture drawings in chapter 1 quite some time ago. His DVDs are better, but for someone my level, it gets rather overwhelming at times, since the master himself tends to delve into lots of anatomy and the nuts and bolts of things.
    Ehh, Unmanaged then, I guess then that I should not buy it then, It costs toooo much here =D;
    I use Hampton's book as my main source of learning since it's easier to digest, then refer to Vilppu's vids when needed. I'm also refering to Sheldon's anatomy vids (Sheldon Borenstein = one of Vilppu's more famous student), since it's easier to understand than Vilppu's as well.
    Sheldon's vids? I'll check them out; I seem to get better feedback on Hampton =D;
    I don't really copy drawings from books, although I do use them as reference, and after understanding the stuff, I try to construct my own version based on them. Not sure if you're doing the same, but I find that copying drawings, especially copying the contour lines of drawings in books, helps little.
    The construction stage is easy and It's equally applicable to both drawings and photos, I do not copy contours, I do that with the Bargue Plates [I downloaded em!] but not with Vilppu; Construction is really, really easy. Simplifying a shape into basic shapes is very easy and I really did not get why Vilppu had me simplifying the human body into 3 different shapes before finally putting them together into cylinders, seemed useless for me!

[QUOTE]LOL, I've tried that before, but what I do now is to collect pics from porn sites (girl-only poses with no intercourse whatsoever) and then use Irfanview to slideshow the images every 90 seconds for gestures. Have about 859 images in my hard disk now. You should try it too! [QUOTE
    You can alter Irfanview's Slideshow's time? That would be wonderful... But well, I do not really like keeping collecting porn pictures myself, heck, If I don't draw em right away, I'd most likely get a hard-on, and you know the rest!

Btw, do you have a SB somewhere? LOL
    Good day!
    Xeon
    Eh.. Not really, My camera is really a crappy one and It's takin a while to fix my scanner, but most likely I'll have a one by next month.
    The only easy day was yesterday ; Today is a hard one .
    Necron.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Necron33 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I love your scenery drawing.

I totally understand what you mean about the pencil issue. I see professionals holding their pencils in many different ways. I was told it was for greater wrist movement. I don't really know though. It takes a lot of getting used to.

Keep up the awesome work!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to N-KK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good improvement from the first page!
    great to see you working hard on your skills ... keep it uP!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Elophant For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good improvement from the first page!
    great to see you working hard on your skills ... keep it uP!

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Elophant For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

LOL, tks guys!

It's Singapore's 46th birthday today!

"Your hands are too big!"
    "Your feet are humongous!"
    "Your thighs are giant!"
    "Your feet looks like Donald Duck's feet!"
    "Your legs are too long! You have a tendency to draw long legs!"

Those were the exact words the old lecturer said to me during the sessions. I didn't even realized these mistakes before! Now that I look at it....he's right!
    Will definitely keep these stuff in mind next session. Figure drawing from life is so incredibly difficult! ARGH!!!!

Here they are (5 mins to 30 mins). Gesture and synthetic forms, rather than any actual anatomy:

Have started adding the deltoid. The Deltoid is the most complex muscle I've encountered at this point. In complex poses, this muscle becomes even more confusing to draw.

I just realized last week that the humerus does not attach to the clavicle, but only to the scapula! Crap! And I've been drawing it as being attached to the clavicle all along. There is some gap between the clavicle and the humerus, though. I've always been very curious what exactly does "humerus" means, and after some checking, it seems to mean "shoulder" in Latin:

Have started adding the rectus abdominis at this stage. The 8 divisions of this muscle is kinda confusing, so I'm just drawing in the simplified divisions first:

Have started constructing the eye. Will spend the next 1 month on this before moving into the nose. The long vertical lines around the eyes are cross-contours.

I've come to discover that whenever I use construction lay-in for self-portraits, the face tends to end up TOO LONG!!!!! Crap.
    The distance between hairline to brow line, brow line to base of nose and base of nose to chin bottom seems correct, but I guess it's because the face is too narrow that's why it looks so long.
    Will attempt more of these to find out the problem.

The death of my first Polychromos pencil. "The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters."

Have started learning how to draw cartoons. This is SO MUCH HARDER and challenging than I thought. I used to think drawing from life is hard enough, but drawing cartoons is not much better. In fact, it seems even harder than life drawing of any kind. It just gets harder and harder! I guess these are considered the first cartoons I've ever drawn in my life. Before these were 2D kindergarten-style stick figures! LOL
    Need to practice more of these:

The days ahead:Working on the last part of the first piece of my final year project illustration now. If all goes well, it should be ready by next post. The mere thought of holding my half-baked portfolio and going into the real world trying to land any job really shatters the last remaining ball that I've. I really hope companies in the creative industries need toilet cleaners and coffee boys like me. I promise to work really hard, work for free and not complain. QUE SERA SERA!!!!!

Resolution for the next 3 weeks:
    i) Usual gesture + construction
    ii) Continue with drawing eyes and planes of the head
    iii) Improvise the drawing of the rectus abdominis
    iv) Add the external obliques onto the construction
    v) Draw a couple more self-portraits
    vi) Practice drawing cartoon heads

Next update: 29 Aug 2011

All feedback are welcomed!

Good day!
    Xeon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice update, BTW!

LOL, tks guys!

It's Singapore's 46th birthday today!

"Your hands are too big!"
    "Your feet are humongous!"
    "Your thighs are giant!"
    "Your feet looks like Donald Duck's feet!"
    "Your legs are too long! You have a tendency to draw long legs!"

Those were the exact words the old lecturer said to me during the sessions. I didn't even realized these mistakes before! Now that I look at it....he's right!
    Will definitely keep these stuff in mind next session. Figure drawing from life is so incredibly difficult! ARGH!!!!
    This is what we've known all along with Vilppu; he doesn't teach proportion much. I believe he expects his students to know proportion already, which is why I've suggested that he's really more for intermediate to advanced artists.

In addition to those points, I would say that the forearms are too short and the thighs are too long (in the red piece).

Resolution for the next 3 weeks:
    i) Usual gesture + construction
    Bingo. That's the method in a nutshell... gesture and construction should work in harmony... they're not mutually exclusive.

Good luck dude... and keep adding to your pencil miles. You're doing great!

How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

41. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by p sage View Post
    Very nice update, BTW!
    This is what we've known all along with Vilppu; he doesn't teach proportion much. I believe he expects his students to know proportion already, which is why I've suggested that he's really more for intermediate to advanced artists.
    Yo Sage! Vilppu does mention about proportions in some of his videos (although not much), but his style of approach seems to be less focused on proportions. If I remember, his students like Michael Hampton (in his book) and Sheldon also rarely talk much about proportions compared to other schools of drawing. Anyway, I think proportions (especially when drawing from ref or life), is mainly based on careful observation and patience, something which really need to work on. A lot of times, doing the gesture and construction gets me carried away and I never bother to check proportions / landmarks carefully (I would just glance at it and rough it in). LOL

Another problem which I personally have with the Vilppu's style of gesture (the curvy swooshy lines) is that it's hard to gauge proportions accurately because it's too loose, unless one stops to measure and draw, measure and draw etc, but that kinda defeats the purpose of gesture.

In addition to those points, I would say that the forearms are too short and the thighs are too long (in the red piece).
    Oh YEAH! Now that you pointed that out, only do I realized it! Thanks!

Good day!
    Xeon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anyway, I think proportions (especially when drawing from ref or life), is mainly based on careful observation and patience
    .. which in my experience means measuring. I'm not good enough to eyeball it yet.

Another problem which I personally have with the Vilppu's style of gesture (the curvy swooshy lines) is that it's hard to gauge proportions accurately because it's too loose, unless one stops to measure and draw, measure and draw etc, but that kinda defeats the purpose of gesture.
    mmm... not really. Gesture is supposed to work with construction. It doesn't mean stop and measure during the gesture... you're still supposed to focus on accurate proportion when putting in gesture... it's just another aspect to focus on.

I do gestures of spheres and bottles and rarely do I stop and measure... I just go for it--and it's because I've practiced those at a slower pace, noting the proportions as I go. Only later do I try and work speed and energy into it.

Well... good luck and keep going!

How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

44. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn Xeon, glad to see you're still pounding away here! As usual I find your outdoor sketches to be a breath of fresh air. I really enjoy them.

I agree I think some work with proportion would really give your figures a boost. You've got some nice action in the gestures, now follow it up with solid construction! Even if you don't know them by heart, simply observe the figure as you're drawing to see how the hip width relates to the shoulder with which relates to the feet width, etc. Watch angles, perspective and negative space to start to be really accurate. A lot of times, making your own observations (like about standards of proportion) can teach you a lot more than just memorizing something from a book. Though learning Loomis is highly recommended as well.

Just a couple thoughts. You might have mentioned some of this already and I just missed it. In any case, just keep going. You're putting in the work, the rest will come (so long as you think hard about the WHY of everything)!

Good luck my friend!

46. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikHolfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great progress from the beginning to the end. I only recently began my learning (as evident in my sketchbook) but hope to reach your level some day .

48. The Following User Says Thank You to wiseachoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL, tks Eek and Sage! Yeah, will be putting more effort into careful observation from now.

Quote Originally Posted by wiseachoo View Post
    Great progress from the beginning to the end. I only recently began my learning (as evident in my sketchbook) but hope to reach your level some day .
    Heck no! Don't hope to reach my level, because you won't go far if you think that way. You should aim for higher levels, like maybe Elwell, DPaint's skill level, or even Vilppu's level. "If you aim for the stars and fall, at least you'll still land on the moon."

Btw, where's your SB link?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Heck no! Don't hope to reach my level, because you won't go far if you think that way. You should aim for higher levels, like maybe Elwell, DPaint's skill level, or even Vilppu's level. "If you aim for the stars and fall, at least you'll still land on the moon."

Btw, where's your SB link?

Hey Xeon,

Good thought on aiming as high as possible . I just updated my signature to have my sketchbook link like many others do, so hopefully it'll work.

51. The Following User Says Thank You to wiseachoo For This Useful Post:

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 10