Sketchbook: One Nice Day - Page 12
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: One Nice Day

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it been over 2 weeks where the fuck are you?!?!?!?!?

The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Diarum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

To my dear sweet Marlee and Diarum,

I've decided to give up art altogether because it's just too hard.
    I was thinking : since I can't draw like Leonardo, Ingres, Sargent and even Vilppu, there's no point in carrying on. I'm just wasting my fucking time. I've thrown in the towel altogether and is now making a peaceful living begging on the streets and selling ice-cream illegally without any government-approved license, in my part time.

And......

JUST KIDDING! LOL! SERIOUSLY, though, the next update will be on 25th October. It's the end-of-semester presentation now, and next Wed, we gotta show all our school work in front of a group of lecturers and fellow schoolmates, so it's exciting, and the past week was spent brushing up on stupid 3D Maya modeling crap, animation shit and crappy abstract stuff. I'm considered lucky, because most of my classmates hasn't slept for days.

I didn't get the chance to draw this week, but starting tomorrow (2 Oct 2010), I'm embarking on a 3-week long intense Drawing Orgy, where I'll draw and draw till the next semester begins (or until I collapse), and even then, I'll still be drawing. Am gonna buy a fold-up wooden stool and draw outdoors these 3 weeks too!
    I've already set my sight on a small harbour.

So, till 25th October, and on that day, the amount of drawings in my SB will crash the servers here. Hopefully!

You two li'l ninnies better work hard yourselves. Both your SBs seems pretty tranquil recently. LOL

Btw, thanks for adding my SB to your link, Marlee! Though I'm not too sure why there's a "HD" in my name. High-Definition TV?

Good day!
    Xeon

Last edited by Xeon_OND; October 1st, 2010 at 11:36 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Xeon_OND For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I almost.....ALMOST fell for that you sneaky bastard lol, but then I skipped down to the "Just kidding"
    the 25th well thats better then never again LOL. Good luck on your stuff dude, hope it turns out for the best!

I got a scanner so I will be updating daily so no more tranquil SB from me, least 6 hours a day from now on unless I get really lazy....

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Diarum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I await the results of your labors Xenon High Definition, er Xeon that is!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Diarum View Post
    I got a scanner so I will be updating daily so no more tranquil SB from me, least 6 hours a day from now on unless I get really lazy....
    LOL, your SB is getting tranquil again! Last update was in 30 Sept?

Quote Originally Posted by Kamber Parrk View Post
    I await the results of your labors Xenon High Definition, er Xeon that is!
    Yo Kamber! How have you been?

Anyway, I can't afford to wait till 25 Oct before I scan the shit in, because there's too much and I don't wanna lose my sanity by scanning in hundreds of pages of drawings.

Did a lot of gestures this week from photos, and once I feel more comfortable, I'll do them based on real people.

I'm starting this post with some quickies I did. Satire.

*MRT = Mass Rapid Transit. It's a rail train system over here in Singapore. During peak hours, the stations and trains are choked full of sweaty bodies and people get squeezed till their faces are pressed against the doors (I heard the situation is worse in London's "Tube").

This one is pretty self-explanatory. I'm the guy at the corner.

My long-time pet peeve below. Although recently, I've started to see abstract art in a much better light, but still...

My sister sprays her hair every morning and the smell smells really toxic. I'm pretty sure there's an article somewhere that says using hair spray everyday causes harmful effects to the health in the long-term. I use them myself too. :roll:

Drawing done several weeks ago. It's a 30-min pose, but I didn't finish it, and had to do all the shading from imagination. Crappy outcome:

Below shading partially done from imagination, but I had managed to mark out the light / shadow areas before the time was up.

Drawing of the reception area of our school. This whole area is called "The Cave" due to its architecture. I'm disappointed with how the rock textures turned out. Our school's gonna re-locate to a new premise very soon, so I wanted this drawing to be a record of my stay there:

2nd version of "The Cave". Didn't have the time / sanity to finish everything on time, so I tried to throw the focus in the background and have everything fade out using lines:

School homework, shading from imagination. Didn't use rulers for this. Urgh!!!! *triple face-palms again and again*

Studies of 2 small rocks I carried back home. I refer to Hamm's book and Marlee's SB to get some ideas. Didn't do the textures cos' I dunno how to, but the most important thing for rocks is solidity:

And now it's gestures all the way. I've been drawing them so much that I feel sick of them, but I still want to draw them cos' I want to get them right. And it's quite fun. I can feel the twist and action of the poses, but trying to represent them using lines is very hard. My line flow and lines still looks weird and un-natural:

*face-palms after looking at trashy tree drawings* :roll:

Tried playing around with markers:

Have tried drawing the xBox 360 controller several times, but this time I decided to do a detailed and complete study:

The original sketch above was too dirty, so I traced over it and did the shading. No smudging; HB only:

I plan to go back to school during these 2 weeks as I heard from our teacher that we can join other classes for figure drawing. I'll check it out this Thursday and if all goes well, I can probably attend 3 - 4 more *free* figure drawing sessions during vacation!

Drawing from the nude is an extremely scary and traumatizing activity, but I must do it, and so...

Next update will be 2 weeks from now, when school begins.
    Hopefully by then, there'll be some improvements in my gesture drawings. More flow, more fluidity, hopefully.

As usual, all feedback are greatly welcomed!

Good day!
    Xeon

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xeon_OND For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Xeon, nice to meet you here, i felt so ashamed to look at your SB, I should always practice, your improvement is obvious (at least i think), I should pick up my pencil and start practice now, hope to see more of your works^^

12. The Following User Says Thank You to u91tedpark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great work dude, lots of stuff

Yea I've been SUPER lazy. I've been in a slump, I didn't draw shit last week, and the week before the only did like 2 pieces of paper, which I didn't feel like scanning. I hope to start again soon

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Diarum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

how ya doin

I see that you are still a beginer some important advice i got is draw when you feel like but at least try to draw when your doing nothing even if its just
    doodeling that migth enspire you some more dont worry about the lazyness
    im also conflicted with this problem i feel that if rest a bit and go back to it
    you usally see what you did worng and go back to it as for getting better
    what i do is use reaferince form internet magazine or even other artis im not
    the greats also but i fill that it helps keep up the good work!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mangabiz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ive dropped in here a few times and I always mean to drop in a comment. I think that you're taking the idea of construction as a style more than as a way of understanding. Putting lines through forms is a great way to understand form.. but its something that you should use as a study tool.. not as a style... unless of course you really love the way all of those lines look on your drawings. Yes some artists leave construction lines in their drawings, but only to add to the form, and they do it tastefully. I feel like your drawings are flooded with these lines... try visualizing them sometimes instead of drawing every single one. You don't need to draw every single cross contour of an object to understand where its going in space.

And also.. I notice that your absorbed in drawing like Vilppu. I think that one of the worst things you can do as a beginning artist is become absorbed with one approach to drawing. Yes I agree that Vilppus ideas make it easy to interpret the figure.. but to be honest I don't think his drawings are all that beautiful. His methods are meant to teach animation students how to capture gesture and form... but his finished drawings just don't do it for me. Anyway thats all personal opinion and really means nothing for you. Plus, there are many ways to do a gesture drawing... and not just like he does them

In the end I just want to stress a few things.. First of all HAVE FUN. From the start of this sketchbook you have definitely gotten better, but you havent once done anything out of the ordinary. Still lifes are crucially important, Im aware of that... but try doing something less structured.. something with less rules. Maybe do some ink washes, painting, etc. Secondly... try different approaches! Every drawing doesnt have to be "constructed" like a 3d model. Try to figure out other ways to create the illusion of form.

I don't want to seem like I'm bashing your studies because I'm not.. truthfully I see a lot of myself in what your doing. When I started drawing a few years back... I thought that I had to follow a certain path or I would surely fail. Once I realized how incorrect that is... thats when I began to love creating. Maybe I'm totally misinterpreting this SB and you are doing other things, but Im just judging what I see here. Do some master copies, do some copies of people that you admire.. fuck.. who cares if theyre considered "masters", go outside and draw people, paint people, etc. Also, I'm not sure If you have the desire to create from your imagination, but if you do.. START DOING THAT NOW. Don't assume that if you draw from life for years that you will magically be able to create a three headed ogre that looks realistic. If anyone tells you different they are full of shit. You learn to draw from your mind by drawing from your mind, analyzing the crap you produced, and using real life to correct it. Rinse, Repeat, Etc. Good Luck man and I wish you well. Dont burn out! I know for sure that If I continued doing those fucking Vilppu gestures for much longer I would have hated art a long time ago

"We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams."

MY SKETCHBOOK!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JParrilla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by u91tedpark View Post
    Hi Xeon, nice to meet you here, i felt so ashamed to look at your SB, I should always practice, your improvement is obvious (at least i think), I should pick up my pencil and start practice now, hope to see more of your works^^
    Welcome and thanks for dropping by! Now, where's your SB link?
    Post it here! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Diarum View Post
    Yea I've been SUPER lazy. I've been in a slump, I didn't draw shit last week, and the week before the only did like 2 pieces of paper, which I didn't feel like scanning. I hope to start again soon
    I knew it! I'm not interested in which girl you brought home on Wednesday last week, or how chicks you did last summer. I'm only interested in your art, so start drawing now! LOL

Seriously, though, at your age, you can take it slow and easy and learn things at your own comfortable pace, as long as you don't kill off the enjoyment. Teen years are a boon, and I really wished I had played hard when I was a teen. Now I'm actually starting to regret! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by JParrilla View Post
    I feel like your drawings are flooded with these lines... try visualizing them sometimes instead of drawing every single one. You don't need to draw every single cross contour of an object to understand where its going in space.
    Yo Joe Parrilla! I haven't seen you posting much nowadays, if at all, in the Art Discussion forum. True, my drawings have plenty of construction lines, plumb and level lines, to the point they look like an engineering blueprint especially if the subject is complex.
    The issue is made worse as I avoid the use of erasers during drawing.
    The lines are delibrate, though, and it makes me feel good whenever I see my drawings are choke full of construction lines. It's a fetish, but...

And also.. I notice that your absorbed in drawing like Vilppu. I think that one of the worst things you can do as a beginning artist is become absorbed with one approach to drawing. Yes I agree that Vilppus ideas make it easy to interpret the figure.. but to be honest I don't think his drawings are all that beautiful.
    LOL, in August 2009, I first read about Vilppu through another member here, P_Sage, who was doing plenty of Vilppu gestures back then (his infamous goal to have 1000 SB pages of gesture drawings!!!), so I checked out Vilppu on Google and his website, and I was so impressed and shocked at his kind of drawings that from that point on, I didn't give a shit to Bridgeman and Loomis, and swore to learn all about Vilppu's method of drawing one day.

Back then, about 1+ year ago, I didn't have a clue what I was doing, and my gestures were like:

But it's gotten somewhat better now. Of course, I'm not limiting myself to 1 approach, but I think it's good to use Vilppu as a starting point and refer to Loomis / Bridgeman / Reily and Hogarth once I'm more comfortable.

Some drawings by Vilppu:

I'm trying to learn the most basic gesture first (the 1st one) using some simple lines. The 2nd one next to it is much more complex and I don't quite understand how he get so many lines compared to the 1st. Already, the 2nd one has the effect of intense movement. The 3rd and 4th ones are what I eventually hope to achieve one day, but I think it requires a strong mastery of construction and anatomy to be able to come up with such berserk gestures like those. IMHO, these drawings are sexier than any piece of concept art I've ever seen, by Marko or whatever. I admit I'm a crazy Vilppu fanboy and plan to buy his t-shirts in future.

I don't want to seem like I'm bashing your studies because I'm not.. truthfully I see a lot of myself in what your doing. When I started drawing a few years back... I thought that I had to follow a certain path or I would surely fail. Once I realized how incorrect that is... thats when I began to love creating.Also, I'm not sure If you have the desire to create from your imagination, but if you do.. START DOING THAT NOW. Don't assume that if you draw from life for years that you will magically be able to create a three headed ogre that looks realistic. If anyone tells you different they are full of shit. You learn to draw from your mind by drawing from your mind, analyzing the crap you produced, and using real life to correct it. Rinse, Repeat, Etc. Good Luck man and I wish you well. Dont burn out! I know for sure that If I continued doing those fucking Vilppu gestures for much longer I would have hated art a long time ago
    No problem, Joe! Another friend has told me the same thing a couple of days ago, and I'm gonna think about this carefully tonight.

The main reason why I don't create stuff from imagination is cos' I'm so thrilled by drawing from life. LOL I know it sounds crazy for anyone to enjoy drawing still life for 1+ year, but I do! It's not the subject matter; it's the process of drawing.

I'm especially struck by your sentence "You learn to draw from your mind by drawing from your mind, analyzing the crap you produced, and using real life to correct it. Rinse, Repeat".

Gonna give this serious thought tonight, and maybe I'm gonna post some imaginative stuff end of this month. I love posts like yours! It's posts like these that really change my path and my life.

Good day!
    Xeon

Last edited by Xeon_OND; October 15th, 2010 at 07:16 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    YOU my friend have been ultra busy... MRT sounds scary... though it would be a 'fun' experience haha. Your rendering is getting better and I'm glad you're doing figure studies now

Sketchbook
    Blog
    Drachen

Matt
    Jamie
    King
    Henri
    Lukas

available for commission/work
    email: mister.guiang@gmail.com

21. The Following User Says Thank You to teapo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wowww Xeon, thats incredible improvement in your gestures! I went back and looked at some of my old ones a few days ago and lol'd...they were pretty bad. And I also want to see imaginative stuff!!!

Whooo , more

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Marlee. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't think I've stopped by here yet! Wtf?!

You do have a great hold on the motion of gestures. They really show some great balance and rhythm.

I'd suggest using higher black pencils sometimes to get a greater range of value. Sometimes your drawings go kind of gray and I think some more contrast would really give them some dimension. I do this a lot too.

This sb is a great showing of dedication and I hope you stick with it for at least several more eons!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikHolfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by eekolite View Post
    Don't think I've stopped by here yet! Wtf?!
    And I've been waiting for your grandiose arrival upon my humble SB for ages! LOL

I'd suggest using higher black pencils sometimes to get a greater range of value. Sometimes your drawings go kind of gray and I think some more contrast would really give them some dimension. I do this a lot too.
    True, the HB pencil is kinda light, and I'm thinking of changing drawing mediums, but I'm lazy to always switch pencils to and fro. HB is the most versatile pencil for me now.

This sb is a great showing of dedication and I hope you stick with it for at least several more eons!
    No way! I want to stick with it for all of eternity! And I hope you and Marlee, as well as my dear sweet Kamber Parrk do as well!!!!!!!

--------------------UPDATE FOR PAST 2 WEEKS-------------
    Today, school starts again; it's Semester 2 now!
    First day today. We're told to buy DSLR cameras.

VERY COOL INDEED.

I had expected this disaster to befall me some weeks ago.
    The only question now is where to find S$999 - S$1600 required for that motherfucking junk.

Enough of the nonsense. I spent the last 2 weeks doing nothing but practicing gesture drawing and studying anatomy, starting with the skeletal structure.

Below drawings are divided into various sections, with the last section being a mountain load of gesture drawings. The figure drawings are all from life:

Mainly contour-based approach. Only the upper legs are constructed:

Used boxes to construct the hip and torso:

This was a 1-hour pose, if I remember correctly. Entire drawing done using contour-based approach, sighting and 4B pencil. Shading done during last 10 mins. The 4B proved too dark for me, so I decided to go back to the HB after this. HB rulez.

Below drawing is the first time I started using the oval to construct the rib cage, and rectangular box for the pelvis. This and below drawings onward were done after reading Peck's anatomy book, whereby I had a better understanding of how the rib cage, scapula, clavicle and spine connect to each other.

2-hour pose. Took my own sweet time to observe the figure and the landmarks, structure of the torso and hips. Rendering / shading is my least-concerned priority now:

Anatomy notes and greatly-simplified bone drawings which I wrote down for memorization. It's been said that the human form is one of the best and most well-designed machine that ever existed. After studying anatomy, I fully agree now. The way joints are interconnected and how they work so well with each other is just so amazing. At this point, I've only covered the spine, rib cage, scapula, clavicle, humerus, radius and ulna. In the next few weeks, I'll try to cover the pelvis and the legs. Head, hands and feet will be left to the far future:

Drawings of a helmet in various views, based on a frontal photo ref.

Imaginary crown:

Drawings of a witch's crown from frontal photo ref. This is one of the Warcraft witch's crown, I think. Not too sure:

Contour drawing of my mom's heels. I missed the days of pure contour drawing of still life, but construction is better:

Imaginary doodle:

This is a 4th attempt at drawing the bushes in front of my home.
    Compared to previous 3 attempts, this is a lot better, since the previous ones were unrecognizable masses of dung:

Tightly-finished drawing done last week. 6+ hours and pre-dominantly HB. 4B was used for the really dark bits. This is a good opportunity to draw glass. I still remember my painful experience a few months ago when I gave up my glass drawing in class cos' it's too hard:

Below gesture drawings are done from the nude model. 2 min poses.

And now, it's gesture-gesture all the way. In the later drawings at the bottom, I've gotten rid of the Line of Action as I have a tendency to draw everything according to the Line of Action and it makes the gesture look stiff and un-natural. Thus, in the recent ones at the bottom, I just feel and draw the flow, whatever comes naturally. I've also started to add form to the gesture using ellipses, but I'm still not too sure on that part yet. Hopefully, I can produce better gestures in a couple more months time:

My resolution for now: I'll continue to practice gesture drawings every day, and continue with the study of anatomy, and also start to go into construction of the human form in the next few weeks. At the same time, I'll also try my best to look for available figure drawing sessions wherever possible.

Next update will be 8 November, and I'll also try to do some drawings from imagination these few weeks.

Again, any feedback would be awesome. Feedback!

Good day!
    Xeon

Last edited by Xeon_OND; October 25th, 2010 at 06:33 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow let me just say I'm impressed with your work ethic, that's probably the most gestures I've seen on one page ever in a sketchbook haha. Just keep that up, and keep inspiring people like myself to keep drawing!!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Jasper_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy crap that is such a huge dump! Awesome haha! (How long does it take you to scan when you update?? )

So, I love how much effort you're putting into these gestures. Seriously this is going to pay out HUGE dividends later on when you focus more on longer drawings. You're already acheiving such fluidity with these, i cant wait to see more longer poses. And I love the constructive figures!! That it what i've been really waiting for from you, your constructive stuff killllllss. That crank/wheel thing is really great. So is the glass/spoon study, its great to see some more value contrast ; try to carry that over to the crumpled paper and foliage studies. Other than that i don't have much to crit.

I love checking this SB, you're updates kick my ass and i always get the urge to work wayy harder Keep going Xeon!!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Marlee. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper_ View Post
    Wow let me just say I'm impressed with your work ethic, that's probably the most gestures I've seen on one page ever in a sketchbook haha. Just keep that up, and keep inspiring people like myself to keep drawing!!
    LOL, nah. Check out this other guy called "P_Sage" and view his SB. Overall, he has way more gesture drawings than me!

Quote Originally Posted by Marlee. View Post
    Holy crap that is such a huge dump! Awesome haha! (How long does it take you to scan when you update?? )
    Yo Marlee! Everytime you didn't post for several days, I had this feeling that you

i) gave up drawing or
    ii) gave up on your CA SB or
    ii) both

LOL, because plenty of folks come on here and start SBs everyday, but after a few months, one by one, they vanish. Some probably still continued drawing seriously but were too lazy to update their CA SB, while some gave up drawing altogether as it's a short-lived passion.

So, I love how much effort you're putting into these gestures. Seriously this is going to pay out HUGE dividends later on when you focus more on longer drawings. You're already acheiving such fluidity with these, i cant wait to see more longer poses.
    LOL, Vilppu's gestures were one of those major motivators for me, and since I intend to draw in his style in future (albeit with some modifications on my own), I'm spending all my efforts trying to learn these. Hampton's gestures are also super-powerful to the point that they can crack beds into pieces.
    It'll be some time before I can even draw longer poses well; the anatomy and tone etc. are killers.

And I love the constructive figures!! That it what i've been really waiting for from you, your constructive stuff killllllss. That crank/wheel thing is really great. So is the glass/spoon study, its great to see some more value contrast ; try to carry that over to the crumpled paper and foliage studies.
    Constructive figure? If you're refering to that drawing composed entirely of rectangular blocks from head-to-toe, that's a copy from a book.

I love checking this SB, you're updates kick my ass and i always get the urge to work wayy harder Keep going Xeon!!
    Quality is more important that quantity, dude (don't mind me; I use "dude" for both guys and girls).
    If I had a choice, I would rather have your SB, seriously. LOL

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your dedication is breathtaking. All them gestures, wow. Keep it up

Cheers/ your friend PMB

"Painting my brain with memories of the future"
    Pencil and brush is my choice of weapons!

My Sketchbook!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=177145&page=8

33. The Following User Says Thank You to PaintMyBrain For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep it up Xeon ! its really great to see your dedication will visit again to see your progress !
    btw, are you coming for the sketchwalk this saturday?

35. The Following User Says Thank You to shyamshriram For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got a truly epic amount of work in here Xeon! I'd love to see some more variety and experimentation. For example with the gestures, I'd love to see maybe some mass gestures, gestures with left hand, etc!!

Keep up in any case man, you're blasting away!!

Quote Originally Posted by Xeon_OND View Post
    Yo Marlee! Everytime you didn't post for several days, I had this feeling that you

i) gave up drawing or
    ii) both
    I HAVE THE SAME FEAR. D: Luckily she always pulls through!!

37. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikHolfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by
    I'm trying to learn the most basic gesture first (the 1st one) using some simple lines. The 2nd one next to it is much more complex and I don't quite understand how he get so many lines compared to the 1st. Already, the 2nd one has the effect of intense movement. The 3rd and 4th ones are what I eventually hope to achieve one day, but I think it requires a strong mastery of construction and anatomy to be able to come up with such berserk gestures like those. IMHO, these drawings are sexier than any piece of concept art I've ever seen, by Marko or whatever. :D I admit I'm a crazy Vilppu fanboy and plan to buy his t-shirts in future.

Hey man , great sketchbook ! I Hope im not too late on the discussion from above quote. Im learning to draw too, but dont you think if you go to step 2, so move on to form even if you havent mastered gesture yet, that understanding the form will actualy give you a better understanding of gesture ? So for example if you would move further to step 3: shading/light, that would give you a beter understanding of form and even better understanding of gesture ? So what i think is that it works in layers, each new layer will refine and improve the previous one.
    Why i say this is because people who i think are very good at drawing alot of their gesture drawings consist of basic shapes for shadows that describe form that describe the movement. So eventualy you see beautifull 2 mins gesture drawings that are made of simple shadow shapes.
    I hope i made my point understandable , i would love to hear your thoughts on that.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Eew For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats for that Poses !

They're Incredible
    Keep it up

cheers

41. The Following User Says Thank You to wasabi89 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon_OND View Post

i) gave up drawing or
    ii) both

LOL, because plenty of folks come on here and start SBs everyday, but after a few months, one by one, they vanish. Some probably still continued drawing seriously but were too lazy to update their CA SB, while some gave up drawing altogether as it's a short-lived passion.

PPPFFTT , are you kidding?? Like I would ever leave you and eekolite behind So don't worry, I'm not going anywhere! (And you better not either!!) My passion is permanent! I just go to a retardedly difficult highschool and take an overload of classes (Mandarin is killing my life), while at the same time trying to keep up with violin stuff (in too many orchestras), = sometimes i can't update.. but hey I'm not into excuses, you're right, i should keep it daily like eekolite manages to

Annyywayy I eagerly await the next update

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Marlee. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Took about 35+ mins to scan in the stuff, and about 1+ hour to resize them in Photoshop, and some more time to upload to server post here...
    Anyway, vacation has ended, so there's gonna be somewhat less drawings from now, but I will constantly sacrifice everything in this world for time to draw.

Quote Originally Posted by PaintMyBrain View Post
    your dedication is breathtaking. All them gestures, wow. Keep it up
    Nah, it's just a personal fetish I have for these which keeps me going.
    Btw, your hand drawings are very solid! Hope to see more figure drawings in your SB!

Quote Originally Posted by shyamshriram View Post
    Keep it up Xeon ! its really great to see your dedication will visit again to see your progress !
    btw, are you coming for the sketchwalk this saturday?
    Hi Shyam! Your post is like a strong vote of confidence to me! I don't know a lot of people who have great technical drawing skills in Singapore, so you're one of those few I greatly admire here. LOL I remember seeing a drawing of yours during Portrait Day earlier this year where you drew the entire person (a teen girl among a group of 3) in pen, using just a few long flowing lines! That has since got engraved in my mind till now.

I'm not coming for the Sketchwalk these few months, but maybe starting next year. When I see all these OIC illustrators and their pen sketching + ink washes, I feel so overwhelmed and intimidated.
    Hope you didn't get bitten by mosquitoes during the Ubin trip!

My passion is permanent! I just go to a retardedly difficult highschool and take an overload of classes (Mandarin is killing my life)
    Mandarin? May the Lord Bless You. LOL, it's not easy, but if you could sponsor me an air ticket to Florence, Italy, I don't mind doing all your Mandarin homework for you!

Good day,
    Xeon

Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 905 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hot damn, that's one hell of a dump. Those studies are inspiring!
    That long glass and spoon rendering's very impressive as well. I love when that happens--approaching something I had a fuckload of trouble with in the past, and not being afraid of it anymore! I have that right now with ears, only took me 2 friggin years. xD

46. The Following User Says Thank You to a la bapsi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think i got the solution to why you say your gestures don't look as full of life as they should. It may seem curious but logical for you, that these "solutions" are actually within vilppu's method. anyway

just as he says "the problem with gesture is that technically speaking is very simple, but the hard part is experiencing the feeling, it's psychological" also I've noticed that you're doing your gestures as if they were gonna be the final piece, in other words you're using too definitive lines. Keep in mind "drawings will look as if they had been done very fast but the reality is that they were made quite slow", so spend more time in your gestures, what do I mean by more time? I mean all the time that's necessary, remember we're still learning it, no need to rush. It's not matter of quantity but of quality.
    And finally again quoting vilppu "drawing is not well done until you show the state of mind" and right there relies the importance of gesture as the most fundamental and hardest step.

stay safe
    and keep it up

PS: these are not empty words, i've got them materialized in my sb, just from when i just started studying vilppu's method although he's the first one to say "This is not my method this is a reconstruction of the traditional methods of the Old Masters"

Last edited by andres333; October 29th, 2010 at 10:44 AM.

48. The Following User Says Thank You to andres333 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by a la bapsi View Post
    hot damn, that's one hell of a dump. Those studies are inspiring!That long glass and spoon rendering's very impressive as well. I love when that happens--approaching something I had a fuckload of trouble with in the past, and not being afraid of it anymore! I have that right now with ears, only took me 2 friggin years. xD
    Thanks Bapsi! Btw, I look at your "Location" and it says you're from Pasadena. I believe that's in the US?
    In one issue of the ImagineFX magazine, there's this article about the industrial design method of figure drawing (using geometric solids and forms to construct the figure), and it says something like "The origins of this method are age-old, but it was first perfected at the University of Pasadena".
    LOL, that's why Pasadena sounds so legendary and mythical!

Quote Originally Posted by andres333 View Post
    I think i got the solution to why you say your gestures don't look as full of life as they should. It may seem curious but logical for you, that these "solutions" are actually within vilppu's method. anyway just as he says "the problem with gesture is that technically speaking is very simple, but the hard part is experiencing the feeling, it's psychological" also I've noticed that you're doing your gestures as if they were gonna be the final piece, in other words you're using too definitive lines. Keep in mind "drawings will look as if they had been done very fast but the reality is that they were made quite slow", so spend more time in your gestures, what do I mean by more time? I mean all the time that's necessary, remember we're still learning it, no need to rush. It's not matter of quantity but of quality.
    And finally again quoting vilppu "drawing is not well done until you show the state of mind" and right there relies the importance of gesture as the most fundamental and hardest step.
    I see that you're using the Vilppu-style gesture in your SB!

My primary concern now is with the "feel" of the action. What I would do, is to take a few seconds to look at the model, try to imagine lines flowing from his head down to the feet and where those lines go, and then I'll re-draw those lines out on paper. I'm not sure if this is what you and other Vilppuians are doing, so if this is wrong, pls let me know. I agree that it's not the tech part that's hard, it's the psychological part of feeling the action, and coming up with lines that describe "the feel of the action / attitude".

The issue is that when I start to actually draw out the lines on paper, I tend to hit a roadblock in that I can't find the right sort of lines to describe the action. With curvy / action poses, it's not so bad, but with stiff poses (standing upright etc.), I get stuck. And when I get stuck, I just imagine water flowing down the figure and try to draw those lines.

As for the definitive lines, I got that by looking at Vilppu's videos and seeing how he seems to do the same. If you have his Gesture video (the first video among the Drawing Manual series), the last section of the video shows him doing gesture drawing from 9 photos, 6 of which are nude and the rest of the 3 are clothed. In the gesture drawings of the 6 nude photos, he first feels the action and then puts down the line, and repeats this throughout the body.

Actually, I'm not too sure what you mean by "too definitive" lines, but if I try to draw by using plenty of lines (like those Nicolaides / Daumier type), I start to lose sense of the action. If you could, pls elaborate!

Each of these gesture drawing took about 2 - 4 mins. Vilppu is right.....gesture is the hardest step. Anatomy is tough but it's not as crazy as gesture.

PS: these are not empty words, i've got them materialized in my sb, just from when i just started studying vilppu's method although he's the first one to say "This is not my method this is a reconstruction of the traditional methods of the Old Masters"
    One question: does the understanding of construction and anatomy greatly help in making the gestures look more alive?

Thanks!
    Xeon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really liking those gestures, keep it up (and maybe some life drawing even more)

good stuff

MY SKETCHBOOK IN BIG LETTERS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=116474
    COMPLETE LIST OF THE FORGOTTEN SKETCHBOOKS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post1992378

51. The Following User Says Thank You to Nettle_Mountain For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's a crazy bunch of studies mate. I especially liked the xbox controller. The only thing that concerns me is that you continually keep refering to vilppu's drawing procedure as a style when it's only a way of thinking. You should use this method as a starting point and add something of your own to it. Experiment with other approaches and try to combine what you learn with this one. Right now I think you're focusing too much on what lines you should or should not put down instead of focusing on capturing the action of the figure. Anyways those are just my thoughts. And to answer your question: yes, understanding anatomy and structure helps you decide what lines to put down to communicate the figure more clearly.
    Keep up the hard work!

53. The Following User Says Thank You to fantasyartist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A suggestion for your gestures would be to start drawing the skeleton, looking at how the joints work and what the physical limitations are. It may help give you a more structured approach, as although these gestures are nice and loose, they don't quite translate into a mechanical figure yet. The figure is a bundle of joints and masses, it might be worth looking at the body as a machine. It'll also be useful to start getting used to more accurate proportions.

Just a thought, I hope this is useful

Edit: You are working hard, trust me it will pay off!

Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

55. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Man For This Useful Post:

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 10