Sketchbook: One Nice Day - Page 10
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: One Nice Day

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude were the F**k is that update, I swear to god if you don't, I'm going to <censored> <censored> <censored> you <censored> in the <censored> <censored> from now till who knows when!!

The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Diarum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Diarum View Post
    dude were the F**k is that update, I swear to god if you don't, I'm going to <censored> <censored> <censored> you <censored> in the <censored> <censored> from now till who knows when!!
    U cute little <censored>, Diarum! You never cease to make my <censored> day, do ye'? How can a <censored> <censored> like me forget to update my <censored> SB? Though in future, if I don't update my SB for more than 3 weeks, I give you permission to <censored> me until God knows when!

LOL, anyway, it's been 2 weeks, and I'm trying to find time constantly to draw.

I just spent hundreds of $ last week to order Sheldon Borenstein's complete drawing package + the 3 texbooks. IOnce the shit arrives, I'll start officially learning how to draw humans. My drawings of humans all look like stickmen drawn by a 2-year old kid. :roll:

I'll eventually go out and sketch real people in public, but it's scary. LOL

For your amusement, below are 2 pages of sketches as part of my Staging (film studies, composition etc.) homework. Take a good look and laugh hard. Most beautiful crap I've ever done! LOL
    To be honest, I was laughing as I drew these because they are too crappy:

My Wacom Intuos 4 has arrived!
    I'll try to make it a point to search for a couple of tutorials every week and follow them. I still dunno WTH am I doing in my digital paintings. 101% random trial-and-error guesswork without knowledge of the concept and light / color mechanics.

My attempt at painting a sphere:

And finally, drawings for the past 2 weeks:

Nearly wanted to give up on below drawing after struggling with getting the ellipses right, but I continued and eventually it looks quite decent:

The xBox 360 controller is a monstrous nightmare to try and break apart into the geometric forms. I've thought of using a box for the middle of the body and 2 straight cylinders for the two curvy parts that protrude out from the body, but the curves are a true horror.
    I'll try to study this again these few weeks and find a solution to break this:

Old router broken down into 2 boxes, with one being inserted into the other. The 2 sticks at the back are broken into tapered cylinders:

Our teacher got us to draw portraits of our own classmates, and I drew 2 of them. Activities like these are much more fun than any xBox 360 game!

I am very grateful to my below classmate for her helpfulness and kindness, for posing as the model! Likeness pretty much fails, though.

Another of my classmate. I have big problems drawing the eyes of bespectacled people in 3/4 view (even my own), due to the glass frames blocking most of the eye and yet leaving some out. I must find a solution to cure this:

Work-in-progress. Bi-weekly drawing for my sketchgroup. I'll trying to paint it digitally and re-post it:

Failed sphere shading. I've issues with shading spheres. It's hit-or-miss for me:

Some studies for a confusing problem. I was trying to break down my tap into the geometric forms. The dispenser part (the thing sticking out) is angled up, but when seen from certain angles, it actually angles down! :roll: I'm still stuck at this:

Work-in-progress. Still life homework with multiple light sources. I'm not sure if I can handle this:

I rarely render my drawings in tone because it takes up too much time (which could be better used for actual drawing), but below one is probably my most careful attempt so far:

The tone below is from imagination (for fun) and not from observation:

The teacher gave us a reference photo and we had to copy it. It's a good thing the photo already had the sides and jaws of the face cropped off, so I don't need to worry about them. The contour of the face is the most confusing to draw, and one which scares me. The eyes are a bit off:

As usual, feedback and comments are welcomed.
    More drawings next week, hopefully. I'll need to break down the xBox 360 controller, the mantel clock and the tap. These are my worse enemies thus far. Then it will be the shoes.

Good day!
    Xeon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh no worries I will get on your case about updating lol! but that last portrait is good, it actually looks like the person Watch the pupils though because they are getting distorted in your drawings. And the shape of the eyes are kinda not there yet. The curves of the left side of the face are slightly off.
    Your self portrait is better then ever so that is a plus for sure.
    You need to do some digi still lifes!!! in Black and white! or color Both is either is fine! If I was you ( and I need to do this more because I've become kinda lazy doing it) is watch a ton of tutorials on digi painting and just everything you can get your hand on, because they help so much and you can never get enough info about it.
    You spent hundreds of $ on heldon Borenstein's complete drawing package + the 3 texbooks, geez lol you could have learned it on the internet for free (minus the cost of electricity and internet) lol but thats your choice
    If you want a cheat sheet to tutorials I posted a whole bunch in the tips tricks and tutorial sections! I don't know if you have see it or not but they should help! lol scared to draw in public, I would draw with you but I am a couple thousand miles away! I've been drawing my family when we are out side, they are really crappy but whatever right. Lol my mom does not like to be drawn.

sure have been doing a lot of drawings of cylinders haven't you. Thats good that is something that I should do. I feel kinda dumb for drawing because they seem to always turn out bad in front of other people. Lol and I for the most part can not draw when my whole famiy is over because all of the little kids want to see what I am drawing and if they see me drawing them they will move away of stand by me to see me draw then which I can't really do so because they are no longer there.

Lol my nephew took this green book that I have that has all of the drawing that I've done in the last couple of months and took it home with him so he can copy some of the pictures in it, which is ok, but he took it without asking. Lol he like has a orgy over my drawings is so excited about it. But is really hard on himself because he wants to be at the level I'm at but hell he is only 6 only 7 and hes better then most of the kids in my family.

I know its a wall of text, at least it is in this box. lol but Man I gotta work harder or your gonna rocket past me! but its exciting to think about how much we are improving, lol I still gotta do the city scape! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Diarum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ---Nice process. Keep more posting & creating. Good luck my friend...

Here is my: S-K-E-T-C-H-B-O-O-K

/.....if there is someone from AUSTRALIA especially from SYDNEY on this site, then leave a msg for me, and I really want to meet with you & to making a friends-of course if you'd agree it...............please

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mag-Neo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Xeon, pretty big dump o' work!

Keep up the diligence. Great that you got people willing to pose for you!

Mild crits: yer breakin' the "90 degree rule" on the cityscape. (Take a look at D'Amelio-- it's in there!) Maybe soften your edges on your female photo figure's nose modelling (the cartilage part of the tip I mean)-- when I step back from the monitor, that drawing reads pretty nice, but the rendering in the nose tip is a bit hard.

BTW, why'd you decide on an I4? Class req? Personal pref?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is a tutorial on circles and stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Xeon congrats on the intuos! trust me man you will learn to love it. the sphere looks great btw! wow, well done. the updates are looking stellar man. you are coming SUCH a long way since you started your classes. i really am SUPER impressed with your commitment and progress. the portraits are looking so damn good! jesus, it looks like all the members of penvirate are working hard and improving except for me. i need to get my butt in gear!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PermaN00b For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

You need to do some digi still lifes!!! in Black and white! or color Both is either is fine! If I was you ( and I need to do this more because I've become kinda lazy doing it) is watch a ton of tutorials on digi painting and just everything you can get your hand on, because they help so much and you can never get enough info about it.
    Thanks Diarum! But the thought of setting up a still life on my computer table and drawing on the tablet is weird! For the time being, I'll draw on paper and pencil, and then scan and paint digitally if needed. My understanding of tone on more complex objects still suck. I'll post my "6-hour tragic tonal drawing" next week with the updates.

You spent hundreds of $ on heldon Borenstein's complete drawing package + the 3 texbooks, geez lol you could have learned it on the internet for free (minus the cost of electricity and internet) lol but thats your choice
    Nah, Sheldon's complete drawing package thing is actually a set of figure drawing DVDs. Here: http://www.sheldonsartacademy.com/videoPurchase.php
    My bank account bleeded like mad, but a man gotta do what he's gotta do.

lol scared to draw in public, I would draw with you but I am a couple thousand miles away! I've been drawing my family when we are out side, they are really crappy but whatever right. Lol my mom does not like to be drawn.
    Oh yes, I badly need a partner to draw with me in public! Too bad! In future, if you ever draw in public by yourself, just remember that in another continent thousand of miles away, another guy by the name of Xeon is also on the same boat, in case you ever need courage.

sure have been doing a lot of drawings of cylinders haven't you. Thats good that is something that I should do.
    You should! Cylindrical objects may look simple and it's easy to brush it off as "it's just a cylinder! Piece of cake!", but when tilted at challenging angles etc., it's hard. Like a flask or a complex jug.

I feel kinda dumb for drawing because they seem to always turn out bad in front of other people. Lol and I for the most part can not draw when my whole famiy is over because all of the little kids want to see what I am drawing and if they see me drawing them they will move away of stand by me to see me draw then which I can't really do so because they are no longer there.
    LOL, take it easy! If a drawing is bad, just screw it and draw again.
    Kids and animals are the hardest to draw, though, because they never keep still. I can still remember the horrors at a portrait event some months back, where the posers (kids) were moving every single second and I can't get anything down.

Lol he like has a orgy over my drawings is so excited about it. But is really hard on himself because he wants to be at the level I'm at but hell he is only 6 only 7 and hes better then most of the kids in my family.
    LOL, I cracked and nearly rolled off my chair when I read the first sentence!

I know its a wall of text, at least it is in this box. lol but Man I gotta work harder or your gonna rocket past me! but its exciting to think about how much we are improving, lol I still gotta do the city scape! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Nay, as mentioned in that inspirational video posted last week (the bald guy with the super long oval head), "drawing is not a race".

Quote Originally Posted by Mag-Neo View Post
    ---Nice process. Keep more posting & creating. Good luck my friend...
    Thanks for dropping by!

Quote Originally Posted by Kamber Parrk View Post
    Mild crits: yer breakin' the "90 degree rule" on the cityscape. (Take a look at D'Amelio-- it's in there!) Maybe soften your edges on your female photo figure's nose modelling (the cartilage part of the tip I mean)-- when I step back from the monitor, that drawing reads pretty nice, but the rendering in the nose tip is a bit hard.
    Thanks Kamber! Now that I looked at the nose, yeah, the sides are pretty hard. Never noticed it before. I wish my face has more than 20 sets of eyes so that I can see things from fresh perspective everytime!

For the cityscape, I believe you're referring to the "distorted perspective", due to the close gap between the vanishing points? Norling also has mentioned about this violent / warped perspective before.

BTW, why'd you decide on an I4? Class req? Personal pref?
    Yeah, it's kind of a class req, as we need to digital paint for our school work, or I would never buy an I4 at this time. The price of an I4 = stacks of A3 paper and hundreds of HB pencils!

The I4 I got is at a reduced price from the distributor, and that also means that a lot of the accessories are not included. I only have the tablet, the pen, the USB cable and the pen holder. The additional stylus nibs and stuff are not in there, but it's ok with me.

Quote Originally Posted by PermaN00b View Post
    Xeon congrats on the intuos! trust me man you will learn to love it. the sphere looks great btw! wow, well done. the updates are looking stellar man. you are coming SUCH a long way since you started your classes. i really am SUPER impressed with your commitment and progress. the portraits are looking so damn good! jesus, it looks like all the members of penvirate are working hard and improving except for me. i need to get my butt in gear!
    Even you're working hard! And now where's CyGear? It's time I <censored> his <censored> for lazing around!
    I don't think I've improved that much even though class has started, it's just that I'm putting in more effort and time to do a couple of more completed drawings, that's all.

here is a tutorial on circles and stuff
    It's Robertson's tutorial! Thanks Diarum!

Take care, guys. Till next week!
    Xeon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love those practices Sketches! I need to do the same.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SageTso For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love that quote in your signature from Baron Impossible. Very inspiring and motivating for me, because I'm 34.

Do you know where I can find any of Baron Impossible's illustrations.

BTW, you are on the right track I think. I should be on the right track too.

Edit: Forget it, I've found him. I know, Google is my friend, I just happen to forget it sometimes. He's great.

Last edited by gordebak; June 30th, 2010 at 10:05 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to gordebak For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've looked through your whole thread and admire your dedication! I see improvement in your drawings. Hope to see more.

Keep on drawing and posting!

My Sketchbook

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -- Confucius

19. The Following User Says Thank You to purplegoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it seems like your doing a lot of buying.. You really dont need so many things to learn to draw. The first 2 years that I started drawing all I had was the free Loomis books. You can learn so much from observing life and other artists. Spending money on magic dvds isnt always the answer. Just be careful with what you buy!

"We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams."

MY SKETCHBOOK!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to JParrilla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JParrilla View Post
    it seems like your doing a lot of buying.. You really dont need so many things to learn to draw. The first 2 years that I started drawing all I had was the free Loomis books. You can learn so much from observing life and other artists. Spending money on magic dvds isnt always the answer. Just be careful with what you buy!
    It's been a long time since I see you around at CA, JParrilla!
    Hope you've been doing well!

For me, sometimes when I see useful-looking art books, I can't help but buy them. It's an uncontrollable urge. Loomis is good but I can't understand half of what he's saying, and his books are more towards the advanced perspective and figure drawing stuff. My "magic DVDs" are now trapped at customs for inspection and I just hope those hundreds of $$$ don't go to waste or I'll kill myself. LOL

Anyway, updates:

------------------------------------------
    Below drawing, which is my class homework:

What happened: I sat down and shaded the thing non-stop for 6 hours till my neck and shoulder hurts for 2 days. Longest tonal rendering I've ever done. The result is crap, and I'm starting to question my self-worth. :roll:

Now that I look at it, the vase is distorted. The rendering of the vase looks flat, lame and fake. And the shadows look too hard.

And after being asked to render metal spoons using tone and ending up with crap again, I've come to realize the sad truth that I totally do not know how to render at all.

My current approach with tones is to:

-squint and pick out the mid-tone of the subject
    -get that mid-tone down on paper
    -squint to pick out darkest and lightest value
    -get those 2 tones down on paper
    -now the drawing has 4 tones (lightest, medium, darkest and the absolute white of paper)
    -render the rest of the more subtle tones using the 4 tones as guides
    -throw in ascent, reflected light and cast shadow

For the time being, it's working quite well for me on very simple objects like the cylinder, cone and sphere. For complicated objects, I'll need to find a solution to approach those. Some day.

My drawings this week. Not much detailed studies, but plenty of quick sketches to train on construction:

Our teacher showed us how to construct heads, based on this website: http://anticz.com/heads.htm :

Cars in front of my flat. Haven't drawn these for a long time. They park at the petrol station to top-up fuel, and leave within 5 mins. I stopped drawing once the car leaves:

Meet my oven, fruit blender and tap:

Rendering of the styrofoam cone under dim light. The cone looks fake, as usual. :roll:

Left: Quick sketch of a van. Right: After the van drove off, I re-drew again based on the quick sketch, and also based on what I remember, and also fixed some perspective inaccuracies in the sketch:

Top-left: The hole puncher again, after eons! The last time I drew this object was via contour drawing, which was painful. Construction approach takes most of the pain out.

I saw an interesting cyber-gaming addiction checklist in the Straits Times today. So, I've modified the questions of the quiz accordingly:

I need to see a psychiatrist soon.

Good day!
    Xeon

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Xeon_OND For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol sorry I was gonna comment the say that you posted and then I got side tracked. But here it goes anyhoo
    SO your 6 hour shadowing and snuff looks good but yea 6 hours is way to much time to spend on that lol, but you already know that. How come no digital work?
    Your shading is really improving so thats a plus!
    Not a whole lot more to add! so why have you posted your landscape!!!

daaaa I'm addicted

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Diarum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Xeon! All of this stuff from life that relies heavily on construction is really gonna pay off. I'm looking at it and saying, this is what I need to be doing to get better! So don't worry, you're on the right path. I'm excited to see where this sketchbook takes you

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Marlee. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    xeon, i can see you are really starting to get comfortable with that graphite. the still lifes and shading exercises are looking great man. keep that up.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to PermaN00b For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

How come no digital work?
    While digital paintings and drawings are very sleek-looking, they kinda lack the soul in them. And plus, for the time being, I wanna concentrate on the basics first. And...I hate digital drawing and painting! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Marlee. View Post
    Hey Xeon! All of this stuff from life that relies heavily on construction is really gonna pay off. I'm looking at it and saying, this is what I need to be doing to get better! So don't worry, you're on the right path. I'm excited to see where this sketchbook takes you
    Hey Marlee! I've just added your SB to my watch list after seeing the shit in it. LOL....seems that I'm watching a lot of people's SB : Perma, Diarum, IvanTurcin, Armando, Kamber, CyGear (WTF are u?!)....and now yours! Seriously, your drawings are truly out of this universe for a 16 year old. When did you start drawing? If at 16 and you can produce this shit, then at 20, you'll already be nearing the level of industry's young prodigies like Marko Djurjedvic, and by 25, you'll be on par with him, and at 31, your skills would be >= the sum of all of Massive Black's top artists and at 40, you would be way past the Renaissance Greats. I wish I was you.

Your inked drawings and hatching reminds me a lot of Taneli's (another member) work.
    Post more in your SB so that we can all learn from it!

Quote Originally Posted by PermaN00b View Post
    xeon, i can see you are really starting to get comfortable with that graphite. the still lifes and shading exercises are looking great man. keep that up.
    Thanks Perma! Now, update your SB more, you lazy dog of summer! LOL

Anyway:

Of late, the Art History module in my school has taught me lots of new things I never knew before. I actually realize the concept and style of the Rococo paintings click with me (never even heard of "Rococo" before this). Blue skies, lushy grasses, stress-free, infinite joy, gentle clouds, all play and no work, Paradise, Heaven, Arcadia and Elysium...back to reality. :roll:

I very very rarely give up on my drawings halfway, but in below still life drawing as part of the class work, I gave up after being so confused with the different base colors of the objects. I'll attempt this again:

Metal and glass. I find glass to be much harder to render than metal.

Right tap drawn from life. Left tap drawn from memory by re-assembling the same geometric solids from another angle.
    I plan to do more of such exercises from now.

Head construction using cubes. I always have problems visualizing the sphere and estimating accurately the 3 lines across the sphere, so I'll stick with the cube for the time being:

Right clock 50-50% from life and memory. Left clock from memory.
    LOL, my lines look hesitant and unsure when drawing from memory.

Tonal study of a crumpled piece of paper. This is really fun and I intend to do it at least twice a week. I hope future attempts will look more realistic, since it looks un-convincing at this point:

My plan for the next few weeks, at least, is to continue with construction practice, memory drawings, tonal studies, and getting familiar with the basics of the gesture of the human body.

Till next week!

Good day!
    Xeon

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Xeon_OND For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whaoh Xeon, this stuff is great You're post left me with a big smile on my face, reminds me that I need to be doing this kind of stuff, and working waaay harder at studying and analyzing things from life. I think thats the key, really, what you're doing; not just drawing what you see but what is actually there. All this construction stuff is pushing you waaayyy in the right direction!
    I love the metal studies, the spoons especially. My advice would be to push you're values a bit more in the really tonal stuff and to clean up your lines. Like, look at the sink faucet on the right side of the page you posted. WOAH clean lines, its awesome. Try more of that stuff, putting thought into every line you make on the page (it helps me to clean up my lines by using my whole arm to draw) and trying your best to feel it and get it right the first time. When i do this, i sometimes go to make the mark i want to a few times without fully touching my pencil to the paper, you know? Like preparing myself for it i guess.. ha it seems to work. Would like to see more, and what about some self portraits? They're intimidating, i know, but there must be a reason everyone says to do them

And about my stuff, mannnn you are WAY too nice! I am still not very good, but I remind myself that i only started getting serious a few months ago, and that no one starts out awesome, not even people like Marko. I heard from someone on CA who met him, they asked him if he was always that good and he was like "yeah, you know i'm just a prodigy. .... ha . No man, i was horrible in highschool. I sucked." So don't worry, everyone struggles through the stuff we're doing, but i think the end result is worth it. Thanks again, Xeon, you're post seriously cheered me up so much.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Marlee. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. Your ability go give everything form using the boxes is really inspiring. I really need to start doing those. Great work! Your values seem great and your definitely very good at giving the objects an exact and real feel to them.

I definitely need to do more of this kind of stuff. My only suggestion would be to do some stuff from your mind. That is when you discover if you really know what your drawing. Great job and keep it up!

35. The Following User Says Thank You to loper42 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Marlee. View Post
    Like, look at the sink faucet on the right side of the page you posted. WOAH clean lines, its awesome. Try more of that stuff, putting thought into every line you make on the page (it helps me to clean up my lines by using my whole arm to draw) and trying your best to feel it and get it right the first time. When i do this, i sometimes go to make the mark i want to a few times without fully touching my pencil to the paper, you know? Like preparing myself for it i guess.. ha it seems to work. Would like to see more, and what about some self portraits? They're intimidating, i know, but there must be a reason everyone says to do them
    Thanks Marlee! I did some self-portraits only on an occasional practice to train the eye and accuracy. Btw, I don't remember seeing you did any of your self-portraits in your SB? LOL

And about my stuff, mannnn you are WAY too nice! I am still not very good, but I remind myself that i only started getting serious a few months ago, and that no one starts out awesome, not even people like Marko.
    Nah, you're too humble! Keep posting more studies in your SB, I wanna see more! Vilppu-style drawings and landscape!

Quote Originally Posted by loper42 View Post
    Wow. Your ability go give everything form using the boxes is really inspiring. I really need to start doing those. Great work! Your values seem great and your definitely very good at giving the objects an exact and real feel to them.
    Thanks for dropping by, Loper! Seriously, my values ain't great, and my understanding is pathetic. A lot of the time when I shade in tone, and there's too many different levels of darkness and light, I kinda give up and just roughly shade in what I see (probably 70% observation + 30% imagination). LOL

----------------------------------------

Update:

After spending 1 year drawing mostly nothing but still life and the occasional self-portrait and faces from magazines, I am now beginning to take the first step in learning how to draw the human figure. Hopefully...this will be a fun and exciting journey.

I will still continue to draw the humble still life, for they have taught me a lot!

This site will now contain nudity in the form of photographic references (gotten mostly from art websites and forums) and drawings, thus the disclaimer on the main page.

Sometimes, I wish mankind can have 48 hours a day. That will be the best gift for me!

Didn't draw a lot of still life these 2 weeks, as I'm focusing on picking out the rhythms, weight and motivation of the human form.

Drawings...for the past 2 weeks:

The small curvy lines are rhythm and opposing curves practice:

Clear glass bottle. My tonal understanding is....ugh.

Failed portrait. I feel ashamed of myself, my understanding, my eyes...

Studies of my own feet and classmates' feet:

Memory re-construction of bread shelf and pancake-making machine from my neighborhood bread shop:

Memory re-construction of TV and traffic lights:

Rendering of toy bread and apples:

Drapery study as part of class assignment. I had wanted to give up on the drawing in the initial stages but one of my classmates told me to continue and use 4B, 6B pencils if needed. I'm glad I took his advice. I have no clue how to render the basket...so I use zig-zag hatching to suggest the texture, and it's crap.

Recently, as I was tidying up my old drawings, I came across this valuable quote which I recorded from a library book some time ago:

"You should look into drawing as a research, a way to know and understand the subject matter thoroughly. Whether or not the drawing is frameable is secondary."

Till next week!
    Xeon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    holy crap dude, your really coming a long that last one is amazing,

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Diarum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really seeing a lot of improvement from the last time i was here. So much work as well lol.

Keep it up maaaan.

Current Projects:
    3D CyberPunk Characters W.I.P

Bloghttp://z3nzy-fmp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by aesir
    I fully intend to become rich as fuck through art. How you ask? By being awesome.
    Awesome artists get rich. You guys just don't love art enough to get rich. Maybe if you cared about money more you might have more motivation to get awesome.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to ZenzybaR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies of objects but when drawing the human face try to draw the underlying structure (just as in the case of objects) and not just the main features (i.e. eyes, lips, etc.). Keep it up!

42. The Following User Says Thank You to pixel cheetah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Xeon,

Re the portrait in #290:

Initially, I thought the rendering was a tad rough. BUT, then I backed about 6 feet away from the screen-- dang! You're actually developing a pretty good eye for values.

The facial structure does not allow enough room for the vertical component of the figure's left side jaw. Advice? Back away a few steps in the initial construction stage of the piece and eyeball to make sure your construction satisfies your ref before you get to far along.

Main crit? Study the mouth! Learn to see and "feel" the way the upper lip curves back around the teeth. Study the "lobular" structure of both lips.

The eyes? Hmm, they really weren't too bad. . . .

You did draw in pupils that I can't see from the ref though!

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you are so tenacious. never lose that. you'll always be on the right track as long as you have that. :0

n e n 念 .
    where flash becomes word and silents selfloud.
    incapax . devArt . sketchbook
    MASCHINELL || ISCARIOT

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Erotopia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome ass improvement. The way you are constructing things is really good. Please give me some advice on rendering, cause yours is getting better. And as far as critique I think you are like me and are making things harder than they are supposed to be.

"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasum." Cliff Blezenski

48. The Following User Says Thank You to xxPurple Nugxx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great improvement, your studies are coming along, but you should study some books for anatomy such as andre loomis and such, there are others if you don't, pretty sure you could find them on web somewhere that will improve your drawing of the human body. Also where the lines are for the face that way they won't end up crocked, all in all, keep it up, sure you will get better soon, BTW don't forget to start painting digitally, its easier in some ways to graphite, since you do and undo and move around components of your graphite drawings. Keep it up!!!!! and good luck!!!

Also come check out my SB sometime!!!!
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=191864

50. The Following User Says Thank You to ArghosRo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Thanks a lot for all your comments, guys!
    It's been a long time since I update this SB....3 weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by xxPurple Nugxx View Post
    Awesome ass improvement. The way you are constructing things is really good. Please give me some advice on rendering, cause yours is getting better. And as far as critique I think you are like me and are making things harder than they are supposed to be.
    With rendering, I'm still struggling myself to make sense of converting colors to grayscale and then making sure the grays are correct relative to each other. IMO, observation is all you need to get better. The more intense and accurate your observation, the better the shit will look.
    Keep it up!

UPDATE:
    --------------------------------------
    Drawings of the head, hands and feet from imagination as part of my class test. I dunno what I'm drawing, and I'm surprised the teacher was lenient enough to pass me:

Every morning, I would walk past all these cute pushcarts packed with stuff, and these are memory re-constructions of them:

Got a new toy styrofoam bird to learn tone and shading:

Studies of the kitchen knife and re-construction from mind:

Memory re-construction of security cameras at the train station:

Piece of black lump at the upper-right corner is a plasticine. Very difficult to render and I can't get it right:

Copy of tree from "Pencil Magic" book:

Memory drawing of excavator near my house. The excavator is a fascinating machine, and I'll try to do more drawings of it in time to come now that I've observed its movable parts last week. Hope future ones will be better:

Memory re-construction of bus-stop. Not exact, but roughly...

Life drawing of my classmates' arms:

Rhythm studies traced on top of figure drawings to find the main and secondary rhythms, motivation, line of action, weight, balance, compress and stretch:

Rendering of a pear. The dark patches on my pear look fake, for sure! Still trying to figure out textures:

Trying to get 5 ellipses of varying sizes on the F-Clamp is a big challenge for me as usual, but I think it'll be easier if I group them into one big tapered cylinder and draw them...will try that this week:

Bi-weekly drawing for the sketchgroup, theme "Towers of Doom".
    Tried doing a 3-pointer and swirling clouds, but clouds = texture and texture = impossible for me! LOL Crap. I've left some construction lines for future keepsake:

Drawings of my classmates' legs. Drawn mostly by observation as I'm not too sure how to construct legs other than 2 cylinders. :roll:
    I'm starting to fall in deep love with open strokes (hatching), and will try to spam them in all my shading from now on. Definitely need more practice on them:

Been some time since I played with line variety. I admit I'm a die-hard fan of lost edges. *swoons* Will spam these from now on too. LOL

996, 997, 998, 999, 1000+! Couch in my home, HB and 4B, 3+ hours. I've decided to do 1 tightly-rendered drawing every week from now:

Today, while waiting for the train to arrive, I took the time to admire the mass of beautiful trees and their textures around Chinese Garden, and one question came to my mind:

Have I felt helpless before?
    Yes.

When was that?
    Whenever I see all these beautiful things around me and I don't know how to draw them.

And so, I will continue to work hard to change that.

As usual, all criticism and feedback is priceless to me and highly appreciated!

I'm now busting out more and more on Sheldon's studies, starting with a sound understanding of rhythms first, otherwise I would face huge problems when trying to do gesture drawing some time down the road.

Good day!
    Xeon

52. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xeon_OND For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Strange that you think of that while looking at the trees in Chinese Garden since... I stay around that area :p

CA Sketchbook

Deviantart

Blog

SSG:

Sonia Leticia / Ninjacat / Demo / Odiolitos / Nicktrip / HolyBovine

Never too old, too lousy, too crap. Only too lazy.

54. The Following User Says Thank You to HolyBovine For This Useful Post:

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Your rendering skills are soo much greater! And it's not just about finishing something, you're showing a much greater sensitivity to precision and value scale. Excellent work! Try some more self portraits from the mirror!

56. The Following User Says Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 10