Sketchbook: DefiledVisions Sketchbook - Page 72
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 72 of 78 FirstFirst ... 22 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,160 of 2327
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 918 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't stopped by here in forever nice to see you still posting man!
    keep it up
    -Jamie

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

kidult is offline Does this sketch make my ass look fat? Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like Orf too, looks real good. Keep up the good work mr defiledvisions

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep up the beautiful work!

Talent and Creativity are yours to use and keep

[S K E T C H B O O K]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Orf is looking hot! great lines on the shaman hoping to see more of that one.
    keep up the awesome work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey. skimmed through this once again. Man.. there are so many things visually to admire, and learn from, so I hope you're not offended I used the word skim lol. I totally understand what you mean with that reply to Aryeh. I've got similar desires and can reflect totally with what you mean about studying so hard, that your ideas cannot be fully attained, and yet you're still trying. I understand what you mean, about 'why do I keep drawing'... 'I've tried everything else'... I totally get it man. There is something spiritual about art, especially as the one with the creative desire within, that drives us to want to keep creating. It's an awesome and also overwhelming feeling. Never being able to fully 'manifest' your visions. Maybe one day. I don't know if your spiritual (not religious)- but I can imagine a heaven where the ability to create will be an actuality. We would envision let's say, a "creature" or something, and it would come to life. Just me expressing my faith tho lol.. In one sense we play gods ourselves, to have the potential and focus of instilling emotion or power into the work we make-- wanting it to transcend the pages into someone's heart and mind. That's a true ability-- some don't understand what the visual medium can do.. same thing with the music-- the whole arts region really: dance, music, visual-arts, etc. It's all so very powerful to use.

Long story short-- creating visions is a gift. Transcending your creativity to inspire another's creativity is a deeper challenge, but one worthy to attain.

I pray that God will bless you in your endeavors.
    "Who is like you, Yahweh, among the gods? Who is like you, glorious in holiness, fearful in praises, doing wonders?" (exodus 15:11)

Peace friend!

Behind every great master is a great student...

Imagination is more important than knowledge- Albert Einstein...
    _________
    NEW SKETCHBOOK -- http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...40#post3743640

OLD SKETCHBOOK: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...25#post2543225

8. The Following User Says Thank You to poetry man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Incredibly inspirational, and love the way you paint. Please keep going, and good luck with Wizards.

Freelance Artist Website : http://www.allyalbon.com

Blog : http://allyalbon.wordpress.com/

Black Cat Chronicles : Soul Thief now published
    http://aileenpettigrew.wordpress.com/

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AllyAlbon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow just read the very insight bringing discussion of you guys on the tricky nature of creativity.

everytime I read this kind of discussion it feels like some sort of small step toward deliverence out of the state you know you're in but have no idea of how to get the hang of.

anyway I think I've a new rule for myself after lots of repetition with the same challenges and that's to be realistic and know that if I don't draw or sculpt or ... for fun and enjoyment's sake as much as for obliging reasons I'll never have a sound relationship to being creative and the capacity to be creative won't last and I'll end up in a block that I'll have to get out of.
    when you're there in that state of "I should work on that thing, arhh I can't stomach it" and just because you can't seem to take on one the current pressing piece of work you fall into the trap of not doing any work at all.

and I have to keep being reminded of this issue so often when looking back in hindsight and saying yeah.. I spent the last week working only so and so many hours with art.. was that all I felt like doing art? heck no.. but it was just how much I could stomach that singular specific project and all else fell with it...

I think I'm going to have a new rule for myself from now on. make sure to warm-up with fun stuff before getting down to more pretentious business and to schedule play. to assume that it's necessary in order to keep inspiration and motivation flowing and a healthy creativity.

why do I always think "ok so perhaps I should draw draw/do cg now, ok what's most important? yeah that, I'll have to work up the motivation to pick that up". I think when I look back so many of my best pieces has been done at a friends place or away from my work station.. started during meal time or on the train etc... still have to work toward professionality I guess but I have to remember what get's me creative in the first place or what's the point of high goals? :/...

now I'm off to have some fun (doing something that'll prolly turn out a good piece but doesn't have to) after a few days of "not feeling like doing that specific thing and so did none". I'm considering buying a deck of Oblique Strategies... check them out on one of the online versions or getting a rotating wallpaper (hasn't windows had that since vista?) with motivating inspirational artwork and photos and sayings and oblique strategies cards and other such reminder work like this nice layout of the "29 ways to stay creative".

best of luck maintaining your creative health you too guys!

Last edited by nim; June 7th, 2012 at 07:44 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 925 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think the guys at SMV are a good example of mixing fun and work in a balanced and somewhat trashy way.

The point is... living life. And if you forfeit your best years for something you arnt enjoying and treasuring, then is it worth it?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JakehC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 672 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Poetry Man ^ loved reading that. I've got some stuff to add, but that'll have to wait until I update.

Nim, good to see you. I really liked the big post you made for all "high-aspiring beginners" as well as the post you dropped here.

Everyone else, thank you very much. All of you dropping by and leaving comments means a lot to me ☼ Still going through some deep shit.. but all is well.

Be with you in the near future. Until then, take care and keep the discussions alive and open!

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DefiledVisions For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by in my sketchbook. Appreciate it : ). Looking forward to more posts on here! Hope alls well and good luck with your freelance work . keep me updated if you still want to do a collaboration if you have time.

Thanks!
    Ash

[S K E T C H B O O K]

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Odayga For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool variations on the shaman. Nice line work on the character designs.

Figure's 'n' Stuff SketchBook

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."-Thomas A. Edison

"Convention is craft. Invention is art. In art, knowledge assists invention"-John E. Carlsson

20. The Following User Says Thank You to AztcFireFlower For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    F**** me! This place has exploded since the last time I posted. (page 11)
    I wish I had half the dedication as you have. How do you merge threads, btw? I shouldn've started a new SB.

Anyway - this place kicks ass - you kick ass - keep kicking ass.
    I'm subscribing to this sucker.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Christoffer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your drawings are amazing. you should totally colour a few of them (i don't know if they're pencil or digital .. - but nevetrmind) a good drawing is the base of a good painting - just keep practicing!

Art is beautiful, but requires a lot of work. Karl Valentin

sketchbook | deviantArt | twitter

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Nianto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was observing this SB for several days now, finally finished. I dropped my jaw somewhere in the middle pages You definitely cheered me up and gave me valuable source of inspiration. I really enjoyed digging thru this SB and I am looking forward for more great updates!

DEVIANTART -:|:- BLOG -:|:- SKETCHBOOK -:|:- GOOGLE+ -:|:- FACEBOOK |:::| Available for freelance: Spellsword95@gmail.com

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Spellsword95 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been a while man but it's great to see your still apart of this community. The crits you have given myself and others in the past and recently are gold and it's awesome that you constantly share that knowledge.
    Being an artist is a strange life, and i think sites like ca.org and others are important for keeping an artists sanity (at least it is for mine :p). I'm constantly told by family and friends that i need to 'get a real job and start a family' while instead i'm holding everything aside to improve my skills. People think i'm stupid or crazy or abit of a looser, maybe i am but i guess this is the path i have chosen. Also, i don't know how relavant this is but it help me alot and is awesome to listen to while painitng - http://blog.joerogan.net/
    Hes an awesome dude and talks alot about life and all that cool stuff. Stay strong mate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo hows life and everything going for you? Hope alls well!

[S K E T C H B O O K]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really loving those line drawings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dan liimatta - Glad you think so man!

Baconstrap - Pure love!

Qikalain - awesome to hear! go do some

Jamie Romoser - Thank you! glad to hear. I had a long break from posting back then. Now I'm back

Kidult - cheers!

MightCrawler - Thank you mr MightCrawler

Odayga - Thank you!

Yor - Yeah, I want to re-visit those shamans.. feel I have a lot more to give on that one. Thanks!

midknight523 - Thanks man!

Poetry man - As said earlier, I wanted to write a solid reply to your post. Thanks for your post man. It made me happy to read. I don't think I have much to add, I completely agree with you. The next step, after realizing that we are able to create is to start creating. We can do something for the world with what we do.
    We all have the ability to express our selves one way or another, and the world needs everyone's unique voice in this. The heaven you're talking about is the reality of what art can do. The "creature" might not be living or breathing, yet the image still has the power to impact those who looks at it. The same goes for the emotion we instill in our work. It's indeed a very powerful medium.

AllyAlbon - Thank you, makes me happy to hear!

Nim - Thanks for your post my friend. It's always interesting to hear what you all bring to the table. I really appreciate it.

JakehC - The SixMoreVodka team seems like a bunch of incredibly cool people yeah. I saw Marko's work in Berlin at their Etnologische museum. It was awesome. On to doing art vs living life.. I think it depends on who you are and what you want to do with art. There will always be sacrifices, but it's a decision we are prepared to take as embarkers on our own road. What's most important is that we are in tune with our selves. We shouldn't be choking ourselves to fulfill our creative goals. The source of creation comes from within and that part of us needs to feel good and be taken care of, or it will all come tumbling down as we start to build.

Odayga - I'll keep you updated about the collab!

AztcFireFlower - Thank you for dropping by! your figuredrawing is so inspirational! I read some advice in your sketchbook about learning about proportions first when trying to learn about the figure. It's something I've taken to heart ever since.

Christoffer - *BOOOM!* Thanks man! whisper an admin about merging threads.. I think I talked to Elwell Sub that sucker yo.

Nianto - Thanks Nianto! It's something I'll keep in mind let's keep up!

Spellsword95 - Thank you for spending your precious days looking through my sketchbook! makes me happy to hear you found some valuable stuff in here! See you around

Warburton - Thanks for sharing that blog! really appreciate it. As for your peers not supporting your decision of getting into art.. it's a tough one being surrounded by such negativity. Definitely challenging. Stay strong and keep on doing what you love. Don't let anything stop you. We're all a part of this! we're all here to help. If you need to surround yourself with more supportive people we're here. Stay strong.

Odayga - Thanks for writing I trust the plan of my higher power.. things are going as they should (me replying should be a good sign ) Intersting stuff is definitely going to happen now. I'm in a good place at the moment.

Hyunjae - Thanks! glad to hear!

Thanks for being patient with me and for dropping by again and again and again. I've said it many times, and I'll say it again. This means so much to me! the support I receive here is so amazing. From the bottom of my heart, thank you.

I'm in a better place now and will return to this sketchbook with new ambitions, ideas and goals 2013 is a new beginning. More to come!

1hour drawingchallenge with the cool people over at Improvement Addicts!
    Name:  1hdc-angel.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  161.5 KBName:  1hdc-mount.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  147.8 KBName:  1hdc-swords.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  152.8 KB

Random stuff.. a pencil study of master Odd Nerdrum's painting. Some Creature of the week pictures.
    Name:  110923-dsg1651.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  115.2 KBName:  229347_10151232941149468_1501317879_n.jpg
Views: 1570
Size:  71.2 KBName:  270107_10151344754834468_1448584301_n.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  41.2 KBName:  301058_10151241895079468_1484370154_n.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  77.2 KBName:  481610_10151344754899468_593739049_n.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  62.0 KBName:  creatureconcept-cancer.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  173.6 KB

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DefiledVisions For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok latest update completely blew my mind!!!!! love the latest creature kinda reminds of necromophs dead space stuff really really good man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man those creature designs are awesome! the green worm guy and alien portrait with beard are my favs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome man! Love the master study. How have you been?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some really cool, beautiful and creative stuff!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was really cool. Like mr pencil study very much yes. We will speak soon I hope. (haben keine pengar po pellefonen) D:

If anybody knows or have the contact stuff to the most wonderfull singer in the known universe please give her this... plxOr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice stuff in the latest update, I agree with mr Baconstrap, I love the pencil study a lot, keep up the work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update! awesome stuff! Esp. Like the winged skelleton wip!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ergh! Scary creatures. In a good way, of course.

My site:
    http://thecentersphere.yolasite.com/

DA:
    http://halfshavenbananas.deviantart.com/

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DennisH-Art – Thanks man!

Dimi – That’s awesome to hear! The necromorphs are really cool

Hyunjae – Thanks! Glad you like them!

Ludic – Hey man, nice to see you! Long story short: (and not trying to lable things as good or bad). I’ve been going through a lot of loss emotional wounds from the past. A lot has healed now so I feel better in myself which is great. I can do art again

Elias Leonard – Thank you! Makes me happy to hear

Baconstrap – Haha.. psst.. mr pencilstudy likes you too x: Det var ett fint samtal we talk moar yes?

Mightcrawler – Thank you my friend! I will

Nim – nice to see you! How are things at the atelier? Updates coming Up!

Vulgar - thanks man! that's a good thing

A quick warning, this is a long post. Don’t feel like reading? pictures at the bottom!

This update contains perspective studies. In my “back to the basics” project that I have going on I decided to get into perspective first. Behind all my decisions I try to have good reasons, and make intelligent choices. The reasons why I am starting with perspective and not any of the other fundamentals are many:

1. It’s a weakness. I’ve never actually studied perspective so I have very limited knowledge about it. I’ve spent much more time studying anatomy, colortheory and other subjects.

2. In the book “A treatise on painting” Leonardo da Vinci writes “The young student should, in the first place, acquire knowledge of perspective. Next, he must study Nature, in order to confirm and fix his mind the reason of those percepts which he has learnt. He must also bestow some time in viewing the works of various old masters, to form his eye and judgment, in order that he may be able to put in practice all that he has been taught.” Reading this made sense to me.

3. The more I look at artists that inspire me the most, and whose artworks make me scream like a pubescent fangirl, the more I realize that a strong knowledge of perspective enables them to create those amazing pictures. (Kim Jung Gi I’m pointing at you! Ò_ó)

4. Perspective seems to be that invisible skeleton that, once you learn how to draw and see it, keeps everything together and I want to be able to see it as well so I can draw cooler stuff from imagination.

With that in mind I’ve started doing perspective starting with the very basics. Last week was spent on gathering some resources and exploring 1point perspective. This week I continue into 2point and 3point perspective.

I will combine textbook practices such as drawing cubes and other geometric shapes, with drawing from life and studying masters. I’ve found that architecture, manga and other comics, and renaissance paintings are especially good resources for perspective.
    I don’t expect to be a master of perspective in any way after doing this. However, I do expect to have a basic enough knowledge of perspective that I will be able to spot its various forms in nature and much better be able to draw scenery from life. I’m only giving myself 2 weeks because there are many other fundamentals I wish to improve on as well. This doesn’t mean I won’t continue doing perspective after this. It only means that I will be working on my chosen subject during school-time.

My spring semester is project-based and the subjects are completely up to the individual which is so great. I can finally spend my time working on what I want to!

I’d also like to share something I learned when learning guitar a while back. It’s very simple yet so powerful, and important to keep in mind. You ready for it?

Work on what you can’t do!

What does this mean? From a music point-of-view, if you’re learning chords, and you are good at nailing the D-chord, but struggle with the G-chord, then go practice on getting the G-chord right. It won’t do you much good if you keep practicing what you know again and again. Also, don’t worry about that D-chord, every time you play it you will passively get better. I try to apply this to my drawings.

There’s no need to draw page after page of cubes in a 1point perspective if you already know how to draw them in that perspective. Instead, go draw a scene from life in 1point perspective. Sit in a corridor or look at a painting with that perspective and do a study of that. I bet it’s much more challenging than drawing cubes and I also bet you’ll learn much more.

When I am confident in drawing volumes in perspective I’ll move on to drawing from life and masters.

---

Resources I am using:

Nature

Websites:
    Cool article on renaissance perspective - http://www.webexhibits.org/sciartper...spective1.html
    More on the renaissance - http://www.internal.schools.net.au/e...rspective.html
    References paintings - http://literaria.net/RP/L3/RPL3.htm
    Perspective tutorial - http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ctive-Tutorial
    Seedling’s Perspective 101 (awesome thread) - http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...-101&p=1485584
    More from Seedling on perspective - http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...chgarden/page2

Books:
    http://www.artgraphica.net/free-art-...r-artists.html
    This book seems incredibly comprehensive. It’s also available as a good-quality pdf from -here- rightclick on pdf and choose “save as”

-"Norling – Perspective Made Easy"
    -"Design Sketching, Umeå institute of design"
    -"Sketching, drawing techniques for product designers"

Workshops:
    -Matte surface rendering by Scott Robertson
    http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/sto.../#.UPVPACeCA4k

I won’t be able to read all these books or work with all of the material listed here, but I thought I’d list them anyway. I am starting with the perspective 101 thread since it seemed like a really well-arranged and comprehensive guide to perspective.
    If anyone feels like adding to this list, feel free to share

Now on to the pictures and keeping it short here. What have I learned so far?

-complex shapes are difficult to do in 1-point perspective. Simple geometry works really well, but as soon as you want to start subtracting or adding volumes, it gets difficult. Especially since you’re limited to vertical, horizontal and receding lines.

-I always thought the horizon-line to be a given divider of space, with everything above the the horizon being in air, but now I think it’s only true under certain conditions. When I started observing nature I found that groundplanes could be above the theoretical horizon. Something that confused me a lot at first but that I now seem grasp.

-horizon is at eyehight of the observer

-drawing from life was so much harder than expected! spent hours on the "simple" picture with a corridor and a door.

I’ll share more when I learn more!

Sorry for the long read hehe.

Attached Images Attached Images            
    Last edited by DefiledVisions; January 17th, 2013 at 11:52 AM.

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

42. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DefiledVisions For This Useful Post:

Page 72 of 78 FirstFirst ... 22 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 238