Page 55 of 181 FirstFirst ... 5 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 105 155 ... LastLast

Thread: DefiledVisions Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,352 Times in 700 Posts
    miycko - Thanks! same here, hope it turns out good

Texahol - ... I actually like it. Should change my 'registered user' into 'filed visions' haha. Your sb is awesome.

UmpaArt - Thanks Umpa! see you around, when will you update with new stuff?

Sevarenge
    - Nice man! im looking forward to it. You should add a link in your sig

Arh people! I'm in a good mood. I feel like I finally got something really damn important that I never knew until now.. kinda. After doing that photostudy I somehow drastically improved in my shading. I finally realise how light and shade works, a little better. example, highlight is not at the edge, and the darkest area is the terminator between light and shadow (depending on lightsources. Feels so damn good.
    Also, I've never been able to paint in grayscale before.. I still can't 'paint' but I can sketch. Somehow sketching with lines doesn't confuse me at all.. arh I was allways told to paint as I draw.. this is it haha.
    Here's some sketches from bridgman, and COW. I call them Phallosbeasts, they are due to my friends perverse art-direction. I have decided not to take him seriously any more (love the idea though, might do some more just for the macabreness of it (is that even a word?))
    laters!
    Last edited by DefiledVisions; February 23rd, 2010 at 07:14 PM.

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to DefiledVisions For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I love your drawings man!!!Gaahh, so nice to look at. Your gesture work is awesome. Whats up with the dangling ding a ling? Haha.

Updated my SB earlier today btw.
    The Sketchbook of Naj and Stu!:
    SKETCHBOOK

And of course go check out the SB of DefiledVisions

Thanks
    Woo yeah! I love the latest one for CoW, perversion can be quite cool under your pencil (err... it might seems like i play with word here, but i'm not .)

Well, keep it up!
    I'm making mess here: Sketchbook .
    also on dA and tumblr
    Old sketchbook, in case anyone interested.

Thanks
    Great work man. I really love the recent monster paintings. The poses look really dynamic

Thanks
    UmpaArt - Thanks! The ding dong is well.. yeah.. not realy necessary but it's part of the whole "demon from hell, your nightmares incarnate" thing. I droped you a line
    btw... regarding ding a lings... (couldn't resist)

Witcrack - Haha there's a thin line between art and utter perversion. I havn't tried approaching it yet, though I like doing these things so far.

Rushlord - Thanks man!

Some more COW sketching. Another Phallosbeast and an Avatar inspired creature. I don't know what to do regarding this freestyle topic.. arh. I want to do something really macabre
    I'm getting into gray shading! It's so fun, I could keep on sketching these things all day haha.

By the way, Jon running the ArtOrder blogg has a cool challenge going on! - http://artorder.blogspot.com/
    you guys should check it out! it's like COW and CHOW, choose either! p.s ... mutants involved

James Gurney is currently going through the colourwheel, a very good read. Check this out aswell - http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DefiledVisions For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ha nice vid.

I went back and looked at your creature sketches. Your right, gesture comes mad easy for your creature creation.

So, in painting in ps what do you suggest, painting in gray scale then doing an overlay layer of color, or painting directly with color? I know people have told me to paint in gray scale but after that color study I did a while back on photoshop it made me think just painting with color would be a more fulfilling task.
    The Sketchbook of Naj and Stu!:
    SKETCHBOOK

And of course go check out the SB of DefiledVisions

Thanks
    These are pretty awesome. wonderings...how do you go about learning to draw dragons and stuff of that sort?
    The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Mann you've improved a lot ! Would be nice to see more colors though

Thanks
    i always think it's so funny how people who are good at drawing in line struggle on rendering.

breakthroughs always feel so good I wish I had more of them

Thanks
    Diggin the dick-demons. Also linkin to Gunther is always worth extra kudos
    The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    witcrack, Bman, purb, Jeff
    kostas, danny

Thanks
    If i was mafia boss, i would say: "I Like your style"

Which i say right now. I have nothing to crit. about your work as novice.. sorry. But..

Ever thought about animal fusions? turned into something further.. now that would be something to see ^^

Thanks
    Vackert! I'm really glad I had a look in your SB. I really like your style and you show great dedication in your studies.
    Sculpt some more.
    My path of learning (sb)
    What I do
    wellander.com
    Where I sell my sculptures
    Galleri Hantverket
    Where I have my studio
    Bryggeriet

Thanks
    UmpaArt - Thanks, I'll adress your qestion further down.

Diarum - Thank you, I'll also adress this further down

Mark Tarrisse - Thanks! arh, don't make me go back to colours now hat I finally understand some of the art behind rendering in gray! haha

Texahol
    - yeah feels great. So is this like a common thing? good with lines, bad with volumes? ater studies I'm much better with rendering but still can't start a piece from mind with blobs of colour.

Krel - oh.. you touch my tralala

J-P Nihtinen - It's fun that you mention animal fusion, the art-order challenge is just about that! skethes coming up

Lander - Tackar! glad you enjoyed the stay!

As this might turn into a behemoth of posts I'd like to adress Umpa's question for itself. I'll try to go through the different ways of rendering I tried and then explain why I'm inclined to render the way I am doing now and, I dunno, this might help a few people and I think most ppl, like myself don't read much of other people's posts and skip right away to the good parts.
    Right.. here goes.
    This is a question that bugged me so much when I just got into digital painting exactly 2 years ago. The first months were so confusing cause I had all these questions and couldn't find any answers - there were'nt really any tutorials and I didn't spend so much time here as I do now.
    There is no right answer to this question as I found out through trying all kinds of approaches, in the end it comes down to what you feel comfortable with.
    Like yourself, I saw that the majority on these boards did render their work in gray before applying colour and I tried to do the same but it never really worked out for me. My strength is sketching, I tend to sketch fast with bold strokes and a certain looseness, or so I've been told and based on this I found a comfortable way of rendering a piece from start to finish.

My first piece ever was rendered by drawing a basic linework sketch and then applying a layer of underlying colour, basic blue and brown hues. I didn't know anything about what I was doing, I was just so happy to finally have a tablet and renderd it beyond mercy. I spent more than 20 hours on it and was really proud, now I think it sucks so hard.. could probably do a better piece in under an hour
    Here's the piece.

I've also tried the way of rendering you were talking about, basic linework first and then start directly with colour. I havn't tried it much since then but it works fine. The reason why I didn't stick with it s because when I got into the rendering point I felt I just knew too little about colour to keep it consistent. I couldn't keep it loose either.
    Here and here are examples of that. Actually it was my prefered way of rendering in the beginning. What I didn't know back then is how important underpainting is.. basically the tone of your background plays a major part in the piece. My knowledge was just too limited.

Finished version of troll and phoenix.

Over to rendering in gray, this is the process I've had most trouble with and still can't work with for unknown reasons. It's basically only two days ago I've been able to render a gray sketch without trying really hard.
    Here and here are pics of process done in gray.
    And here's some more process of another C.O.W piece - this and this.
    What I did with these was basically a linesketch first and then render it in gray before applying colour. Again - what stoped me from going into this was my lack of knowledge about how to create the illusion of 3 dimensions.. I knew little of light and shadow relationships back then.

Today I've found another way of combining a few of these. As I mentioned earlier I like to sketch loosely with bold strokes, I try to apply this looseness to my rendering. First I throw a quick wash of gray over the sketch, just to get some variations of gray, a bit darker in the areas whre I want to define shadow. And then I multiply colours, still keeping it on the basic level of the sketch filled in. After that I render.
    I like this method because it's very intuitive at start and I kind of let the piece create itself before my intellect kicks in with all these rules of light, shadow and relationships.

Important, any of these ways of rendering work just as good. What dictates your success is knowledge of the fundamentals. Knowledge of colour relations, light and shadow and so on aswell as dedication to learning and improving.
    I'm at a point know where I have decent knowledge of the fundamentals, though yet sooooooo much to learn.
    Basically just keep an open mind and try to approach all kinds of methods until you find something that suits you. Keep a healthy mixture of studies from life, anatomy and work from imagination. Too much of either and you'll dry up in no time (been there many times. Managed to get "serious" for a couple of days ending up totally burning out - keep it consistent.)
    I could go on forever but writing this massive post really won't do it well enough.

Here guys and girls, ceck out Dave Rapoza's (Mr.Delicious) live-streams: http://www.livestream.com/fuckinartwithmrdelicious

He covers all of this stuff so good! Had he only been around when I started painting.. arh damn. Don't worry if it's too early for you, you can watch older streams. He talks about A LOT of important good to know stuff. Freelance, fundamentals, ways of rendering.
    And best of all, you get to see him paint, which will teach you more than any forum post of massive proportions.

Hope this helps you Umpa, and anyone else for that matter. I know that it's important to keep it as simple as possible when trying to teach something but yeah, I kinda failed at that.
    If there's anything else anone want me to elaborate on, or questions about any of these processes, fundamentals or why there are no purple cats around, please feel free to PM me, would love to discuss and try to answer to the level of my ability. After all we improve the most when learning together!
    (Thanks Dave fo your awesome streams)

sry Diarum, I'll adress your question in m next post ^^ this got bit too big.
    Last edited by DefiledVisions; February 25th, 2010 at 06:21 PM.

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DefiledVisions For This Useful Post:

Page 55 of 181 FirstFirst ... 5 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 105 155 ... LastLast