Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts

How "traditional" are you...

A variation of this question has been asked a thousand times, probably, but never head on as far as I can see...it always was posed as an "us vs. them" kind of thing. I'm looking for a straight-forward preference that serves you as your primary way of working.

How many of you actually do what you consider your best work using traditional NON-computer methodology?

I began as a printmaker/sculptor/painter (often mixed media) and still prefer that work to my puny computer attempts, though I think I've improved tremendously bit by bit using the idiot box, and now I'm doing pure experimentation with Illustrator and PS that I didn't have time to pursue before. BUT...my heart will always be with the basics I learned as I started out.

So, I'm curious...how many here actually prefer to work traditionally AND do it on a regular basis (or always) for your art, whether it's professional, student or hobby-type stuff? And I DO mean for Concept Art, Illustration, and personal expression/gallery art. I don't really care about your style or approach, either, or whether you're a traditional "realistic" type, or more "adventurous"/experimental, either.
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Traditional is my love and I do it for my fine art work, though I have done it for my illustration work too.

I have done computer work in the past mainly for illustration work.

Thanks
    I'd say about 60% digital, 40% traditional in illustration work. My "fine" art is 100% traditional, but my digital stuff looks much better. I like to balance things out.
    "Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 399 Posts
    While im not a professional yet, i always love to work in pencil or pen, rather than digital. Pen/pencil sketches have so much more personallity, thats why i spend most of my time looking at the sketchbooks rather than finished pieces.

continuious line sketching is generally my way of sketching, i guess i just love lines. once i've made some space im gonna get into painting again, its been to long, although for the sake of my career i should brush up on photoshop...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    "How many of you actually do what you consider your best work using traditional NON-computer methodology?"

Me Not that it's great.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 1,109 Posts
    Yes, I believe my traditionally sketches and drawings are better than my digital work.
    Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 797 Posts
    I was a lithography nut in university, and though I haven't done it in a few years now (largely due to the fact that I simply don't have access to the equipment for it), I still sometimes think about the subtle texture of Arches paper and the smell of white ink mixed with setswell. Ofc I often think about taking the time to get back into it, but I think everyone who goes digital and leaves their favorite medium behind feels that way to some extent. But I think printmaking is something you shouldn't have to leave behind when working digitally because printing processes can easily incorporate digital imagery (for instance, you can layer photo-litho plate runs over litho stone washes and toss a drawn litho layer on top to pull it all together).

Printmaking aside, I still enjoy working in charcoal occassionally but I haven't seriously considered using it for portfolio work. More like, a way to get away from the computer but still get some studies/practice in.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    I sometimes use the felt wacom tip if that counts.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Traditional. Nothing beats a well detailed wooden model, a beautiful glass sculpture, or hand drafted documents. Sadly, there's little time for traditional in this rushed madness that is architecture...
    Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Traditional work always feels like more of an achievement. Digital tends to feel slightly like cheating, almost, because I know I could never get the same results from acrylics or something. My work has been 100% digital for the last few months, it was about half and half before that. Would love to try painting properly again some time. It seems to have more sale value (namely having an original) if nothing else.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I only use acrylic for painting so I guess I'm traditional. Although a lot of elitist hot heads would probably think of acrylic as a modern approach to painting, thus not really a traditional method. But they talk out of their perfumed asses anyway.

Thanks
    Oilpaint was after graphite the very first medium I "tried to use" as I became more intrested in art. Today I still work with oils as much as I can, wich means probably every day
    I like working digital as well and I do it just as much as oilpainting but I think that everything i've learned about color and values so far goes back to the traditional stuff I've done. I feel it's just much more "intense" than working digital where actually everything you do can be undone with one shortcut.
    Kinda funny, even if I am not using the "undo" button, trying to correct every mistake by repainting it seems that the possibility alone of being able to do so if I wanted, makes me work much more quickly and maybe even sloppier than I would ever do using oils or any other traditional medium
    -----------------------
    Available for freelance work! contact me via : cgrobelski@gmail.com

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

friend me on Facebook!!!!

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 586 Posts
    I'm not very good at it yet, but I prefer using pencils and oil paint to working digitally. Much more control over the marks, and using color in Photoshop confuses the hell out of me. Still, I use both just about equally, since I'm still learning.

Thanks
    I "grew up" non-digital, primarily as dierat did, in the lithography-etching-engraving world. ( dierat: I also miss those unmistakable print room smells) The process of working digitally is still relatively new to me but, philosophically, the transition from analog to digital was quite easy given the fact that printmaking incorporates a heavy amount of technology to achieve the end result.

To answer Ilaekae's question, I would have to say that the value I attach to any piece has little to do with process and everything to do with design and structural unity.

Thanks
    I use pens only for practice
    VatselArt@Gmail.com

Vatsel.com

Facebook page . Twitter

Thanks
    traditional; painting, mostly, but also any medium. i love it's connection with history and everything about it. whilst i do my painting in oils, i'm always flipping between that and illustration, and i prefer to do my illustrating digitally due to convenience.

Thanks
    Right now I love pencil & pen sketching above all else and I do that about 90% of the time.

It's hard to deny the power of Photoshop and the quality of work it allows you to produce so occasionally I scan one of those sketches in so I can practice digital. Unfortunately, most of the time I feel like a lot of what I put into the sketch gets lost so right now I'm just trying to find a way to make the transition without losing my sketching style. After I'm completely comfortable with digital I'll just start sketching right into Photoshop to cut out the first step.

Thanks
    I prefer to work in oil paint rather than in Photoshop, and I'm happier with my results, but I sometimes think that's because I'm more patient with traditional media (ie: I take weeks on my paintings sometimes, but if a digital painting takes longer than a day I start to get bored and annoyed with it).

Thanks
    Traditional wins the day for me. One of the main reasons being that traditional media feel and act more organic. You can get your hands dirty, smell the turpentine, it all adds to the feeling of working on something 'real'. Digital may be more practical, and it certainly has it's advantages, but for true working pleasure, I go traditional. Printmaking, now there's something I'd like to explore further! I had my first 'baby-steps' in that field last year, and there's so many things I'd like to try. I just feel that traditional media still have so many possibilities, even in these times.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Yngling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    traditional over digital at about 100%, Is been a while I didnt use photoshop....

I started art at like age 19 using photoshop, then moved to 3D ( 3ds max ) till around age 27. I then proceed to a 180! Learned to draw on a real piece of paper, then discovered paint and I don't think I could go back to computer.

While I'm still interested in 3D/Digital stuff, I tried recently, even downloaded the 3D previz from Coro, about 5minute in 3dMAX I just close it and good bye. Something about tradiotional I like much better...

Thanks
    i definately feel like i can get into the traditional more.
    oil is one of the most enjoyable things in the world for me
    the smell of turp and paint and running the brush on a canvas and laying it on thick and thiin and touching it with your fingers. squeezing the brush as you run it through the turp and daintily touching the surface of the oil.massaging the brush in your blue towels and gently squeezing it. stark blacks and milky whites, warm browns ooooooohhhhh!!! add loud music and nude women and you sir are good to go

26. The Following User Says Thank You to hunchback For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Holy crap, man, get a room.

Traditional here, but I don't do much with it but study.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Ninjerk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Digital is my way of making a living. When I do traditional, it's for fun or educational purposes.

Thanks
    as long as you have a good foundation in art it really doesn't matter what your tool is.

but traditional really does give your piece a unique feel because of all the random stuff that can happen and the lack of ctrl+z

I am a digital guy, but since have gone not using a computer for about a month now, and im really loving it. Even better than digital.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    I do most of my prelims digital and shoot my refs with digital photography, but all my finished work is traditional
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    I thought this would be a thread about having 1.5 kids, a home, spouse, etc.

I have no patience with digital anymore. I was raised without a computer, and my old 1"x1" Intuos II Wacom hurts my wrist. It's too limited in space and the brushes on screen glitch.

I love oils and pencil. I use PS to do layouts for composition and color and then post production color & levels correction on final illustrations. Occasionally, I still use Corel Draw for fun vector illustration if I'm really in the mood for computer art.

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

33. The Following User Says Thank You to magicgoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I've always found that for some reason I can work longer using traditional methods. On the computer it feels like I need a break every half hour or so, but when just sketching or something I can usually work on something and by the time I finish I'll look at the clock and go "woah that took 3 hours"
    Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    I'm still learning, but I found that I'd rather do sketching and linearting in traditional. I can "feel" better, and I can move my hand far, far freer than when I'm doing it with Photoshop

but there's ctrl+Z in Photoshop. That, and my coloring is somewhat better there, and there's effects and masks, although that's rather cheating.

In one and another way, that maybe means I have to learn more about coloring in traditional.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    My physical paintings have more interesting detail and texture, but I do not care much about that because I see myself as a concept artist. I much prefer working digitally where I'm able to nudge details around, try out color schemes and experiment in general. If I'm too slow throwing interesting ideas onto the canvas, or if I spend too much time turd polishing rather than exploring, then I'm doing my job poorly.

I do prefer doing exploratory thumbnails on paper though. Small ones are fast to make and it's nice being mobile and physically close to the medium. I then scan, scale up, refine and color. However, if I happen to already be at my computer I often find it more effective to thumbnail (or just draw roughs) digitally, especially if color feel is important.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Prometheus|ANJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    about 6 years ago my computer wasnt an art tool at all to me. then I realised, that the digital medium had a lot of potential and could lead to a more efficient workflow- wich it did. ever since i have done my professional work digitally.

when it comes to personal works or sculpting (i HATE working with 3d programs) i still prefer to do them traditionally.

"How do you know you're good enough?" "You know." "What if you're wrong?" "You find out."

*** Help a CA artist! Visit the Critique Center! ***

MY HOMEPAGE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast