Sketchbook: My amazingly amazing sketchbook(with airbrush and other cool stuff!)

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My amazingly amazing sketchbook(with airbrush and other cool stuff!)

Hi there, I used to be a member about a year ago but quite coming due to the fact that I lost the motivation to do anything with art. Now my motivation is back in many different forms. A little info for you guys: I'm 17, decided to not go to school for graphic design and illustration due to the fact that I can learn more from the guys I work with than in college.I work at an airbrush stand in Myrtle Beach,South Carolina where I'm apprenticing. I just got photoshop so I am working on getting a wacom. Here I'll post some of my old stuff first then the newer stuff last. Hope you guys like and tell me what you think. My scanner is broken so my new sketches and stuff are going to be taken by camera.If my Images don't work on here, then check out my work on photobucket... http://s980.photobucket.com/albums/a...aylormclawson/

OLD TO NEW

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by TayMC; August 16th, 2009 at 02:18 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, I'm glad you've gotten your motivation back! It's good that you're doing studies. I would recommend doing some drawings from life, maybe a self-portrait or two. I've always envied people who know how to airbrush so keep it up!

♥♥ SKETCHBOOK ♥♥ BLOG ♥♥ PORTFOLIO ♥♥ dA GALLERY ♥♥

If there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this life.
    - Albert Camus

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I'm actually working on a few life studies atm. I just did the last two pics today...so hopefully I'll have more up tomorrow.

Check out the sketchbook,you know you want to...it has airbrush and other cool stuff in it!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=166335

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work. Good studies and I like the airbrush stuff, especially the face. Airbrushing seems like fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comment! Yeah, airbrush is really fun and very,very hard. Probably the hardest thing I've learned how to do lol.

Check out the sketchbook,you know you want to...it has airbrush and other cool stuff in it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not a chance you would learn more air brushing then going to school and earning a BFA in illustration, but that stuff is neat none the less.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is that a question or statement? I'm not that good at airbrush and the guys I work with have done just about everything there is to do with airbrush so I'm pretty sure I can learn more from them than the people at the local community college. As far as illustration, I work with a guy who works for D&D East so I'm pretty sure I can learn a lot more from him too .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comment!
    The drawings look flat, despite being shaded - it's especially prominent in this horned skull one. The light seems to come from the direction of the viewer, but the drawing lacks contrast. The very last one suffers from that, too(it's from Hogarth, isn't it?). There's this exercise from Nicolaides' book called weighted drawing (Glenn Vilppu also uses it), when you make the form go darker when it goes back in space - this exercise produces the same effect, but still: it's not shading!
    The head shape study is looking more three-dimentional, because of consistent light source and much contrast between the light and shadow. Anatomy studies look good, do LOTS of them.
    I wouldn't recommend Hogarth for anatomy, mainly because he draws all the muscles flexed, which is just impossible to do (try to flex your biceps and triceps at the same time!). He has some nice points, but you'll be better off with Peck's "Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist". Mike Bierek's got a really good video on form and lightning here at conceptart - it's definetely worth its price.
    Maybe try different medium? Charcoals are great for drawing forms that just jump at you from the paper

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to take a look into them. Yeah, I'm kinda limited to my mediums...I use regular pencils...so I should probably invest in some more mediums and anatomy books. I've noticed that about Hogarth too... But I don't think it's necessarily bad to study from him...he makes anatomy pretty easy. So here are some new studies from today..I finished the last hogarth piece and I have 2 more...the last one isn't finished(it's a study of the arm)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah Hogarth for sure is a good read to memorise the basic masses and placement of muscles, as you said - he makes it look easy. There are many topics here where Hogarth is either hated or, well, liked - go check them if you have time.
    Just make sure not to limit yourself to one style/medium/author/topic of your studies! And remember that books are only there to aid you with studying from life - grab some nude photos, or look in the mirror and copy what you see there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with TMTH, Hogarth is good for learning where the muscles go...what fits into what and all... but when it comes to drawing a person that feels more natural, you'll want to pay attention to what you learn in your self portraits. do a bunch of them. get sick of them. and then keep doing them. Try to set up a good light source that shows the planes of the head and capture that. Thanks for the comment by the way. :0)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, love your recent studies, keep at it. draw how you want. Hogarth is good, one of the greats learned from Hogarth than he switched. his name is Marko Djurdjević, he even speaks about in his awesome dvd. If you have the time and funds I suggest checking it out. and His work. You can learn a lot from him. So yeah stick with Hogarth right now, but It never hurts to get a couple more books on anatomy just to mix it up a bit (wont hurt your style either) Like Human anatomy by Giovanni Civardi (which is more natural) Or Anatomy for the artist by Barcsay (you can learn shading pretty well from him, and natural form).

Dont let what others say bring you down bro. Keep at it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got some nice studies so far. I'd echo everyone who suggested to look into different sources for learning and not just concentrating on one. When it comes to draw people in a quite natural tone Loomis worked for me best. If you have time, have a look at his books.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.