Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks

ZIRNGIMANIA --"Physical Sketchbook" Update-- (4/03/10)

Warm greetings, everyone! My name is Kirsten Zirngibl and I've decided to attempt posting my journey to improvement online, where it will likely be buried under the great churning gob of awesomeness known as "other people's sketchbooks". We'll see what I can do to stay afloat, and maybe learn (or perhaps teach a little) something along the way! I want to get into the habit of posting something every day, even if it's a piece of simple schoolwork. (I'll be a junior illustration major this fall.)

I hope to get better at drawing from my imagination (especially anatomy), using good stroke economy, and composing my images with more clarity.

I don’t want to post a whole lot of old work here, so please check out the links in my sig if you want to get an idea of stuff I’ve done.

But I guess I’ll kick off this thing with some stuff I did only recently so I can trick myself into thinking this is a good start.
    Last edited by Zirngibism; September 1st, 2011 at 06:55 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    OK, here's some of that more recent stuff. (More info on 'em can be found on my dA and .)

I feel like I'm kind of all over the board style-wise, like I haven't really "found my voice" yet. Maybe I can develop that as I go on in this SB.
    Last edited by Zirngibism; August 14th, 2009 at 04:01 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zirngibism For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,321 Posts

Thanks
    NoodleDoodle: Thanks! Hopefully I can stay motivated and not peter out... :-\

Here's what I'm currently working on:

I have to do an illustration about the release of Windows 7, and how it relates to the Provantage company, which sells computer accessories. It's my first commercial print illustration.

(About 250,000 people across the US, half business, half personal consumers, will be getting this buyer's guide in the mail. I'm both psyched and scared. I'd hate to have some big problem with it and know there's nothing I can do to change it once it goes to press.)

But if there's anything that's fixable and jumps out at you for whatever reason, point it out and I'll take it into consideration. (I have a couple days left, so I can't completely overhaul it.)

Finally, keep in mind that I'm still refining edges and small details.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 1,087 Posts
    nice start!

i really like the perspective you did in these posts so far, and the two alien dudes at the table..really nice idea!

what can i say?! so far so cool, and
    Post MOWR!
    Sketchbook - I really appreciate comments and critique, please visit!

Danny_K Icecold

"Good artists are the crappy artists who never gave up!!"

Thanks
    BlackDelphin: Thank you!

Here's something I finished just today. It was a pencil sketch I did during a lecture back when I was working on this. This is basically one of those bicycling workers. He's a "light hazardous waste" cleaner.

Anyway I scanned it in and forgot about it, then decided to color it today in photoshop.

(The entire thing was done without ref. I guess I was kind of testing myself to see what I struggled with most. I remember having a little trouble with the pose. Anyway, crits appreciated!)
    Last edited by Zirngibism; August 14th, 2009 at 10:01 PM.

Thanks
    woot, those enviro's kick ass O_O

Thanks
    chriis.zed: Thank you! Enviro's are probably my favorite things to do. I love the "God" feeling of creating a whole space-- like creating a whole new reality as opposed to a single entity...

Anyway, I'm going to try to make a habit of posting something every other day or so, even if it's just a measly scribble or study.

Here are some random structural drawings. I'm taking an industrial design class called "advanced structural drawing" (though my teacher's going to let me get a little more crazy with my designs since I'm an illustration major.)

I did these these quick drawings during class for about an hour (though I didn't draw the the whole time). He told us to draw whatever we wanted, so he could get a sense of where we we all were.

(I really like doing this stuff!)

He didn't say much about mine, but I figure-- no news is good news!
    Last edited by Zirngibism; August 26th, 2009 at 09:38 PM.

Thanks
    Here's a little 5" x 5" study I did in acrylic.

Just trying to get a feel for the medium. I'm also trying to get myself to paint more thickly and boldly... figured it would be best to start small.

Don't remember how long I spent on it, but it was two rather short sittings. I'd guess an hour total but it was probably longer... it always takes longer than you think...

Based on a scene in Bhutan (awesome place, look it up!)

Anyway, I might digitally paint over this-- I have some interesting ideas about what to do with it.
    Last edited by Zirngibism; August 26th, 2009 at 11:22 PM.

Thanks
    Here are some things I did at the Columbus Zoo I did this past monday. They're all from life, and were really hard to do because the animals wouldn't stop, well... being alive!

Thanks
    Dude, your brushwork is awesome !!!

great stuff

(ps: maybe a little bit more anatomy here and some more knowledge about light and colours could put u on the next lever, tho u allready rock)

Thanks
    Brun: Thanks for your comment! Yeah, I totally agree-- I think a couple weakest areas right now are anatomy and color. Currently working on both, though.

Here are a couple figure drawings I did this past Wednesday.
    (Decided to try out charcoal pencil. 1st time using it-- I have mixed feelings, but intend to give it another shot.)

About 4 mins on the 1st & 2nd.
    About 1 hr 15 mins on the 3rd. (It was kind of an odd view and still bothers me a tad bit but the proportions actually are pretty accurate.)

Thanks

Final Provantage Cover

The art director sent me this-- it's the buyer's guide cover with the final text. It will ship in a couple of weeks. I'm excited!

Anyway, it was cool to see how much the wording and text evolved among the comps.

Thanks
    nice sketchbook! I like your illustration style and the use of directional strokes stars for you

Thanks
    eparts: Thanks so much!

Here are some studies I did yesterday, for the purpose of better blocking in values before starting on an actual landscape painting. These were 4 different hours, and we (as in, my landscape painting class) drew them from a projector.

About 25-30 mins each.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast