Sketchbook: Middle aged madness: First signs - Page 9
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Middle aged madness: First signs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The head studies are looking great. I just started a head drawing video which look like it uses a similar method as you are using with the rhythm lines. The Christmas card is nicely done. A new year is upon us. I'm excited to see what improvement the new year will bring in our drawing skills. I'm sure if we keep up steady practice and study by this time next year we will be rocking it!

Cheers!

My Sketchbook

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -- Confucius
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah! The "envelope" method. I really fought against that approach with the angles for a long time, but once I embraced it, my figures started looking much more accurate.

You're putting it to good use too!

Can't wait for the next update

SKETCHBOOK

BLOG

"Only put off till tomorrow, what you are willing to die left undone." -Pablo Picasso

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ThomasM: Thanks Tom for the reassurance it is much appreciated. I haven't touched my master study since my last post, lazy me!

lennon: 'Modern Abstract Madness - inner feelings of artist' .......... Hey lennon you made me really laugh with this. Thanks so much for mentioning my short legs. I did think I was drawing them too short, especially knee to ankle. I shall have to train myself to always think of it and add a little. Your help is much appreciated as well as your humour.

purplegoat: Hey PG I was just looking in your SB yesterday and saw you got the Ron Lemen video as well. So we are quite literally studying the same page at the moment. Glad you liked my Christmas card. I shot the photo from my bedroom window a couple of weeks back when we had a lot of snow for us! I'm excited as well to see what we can achieve next year. We will both have to keep an eye on each other so we don't get distracted and keep up with our studies.

kiwigarbage: Hey kiwi that's good to know you have walked this path. So thanks for that and the encouragement. I can see the potential of this method even though at times it seems so alien to me.

Sketches Update:
    So last update for this year and it's more head studies after Loomis and Lemen. Had a little laugh at the top page as the one in the middle on the top row reminds me of the film Mars Attack, not intentional! The cartoon fans among you will recognise my Preston Blair studies. Apart from being fun I wanted to do these to help me see forms in perspective and practice wrapping the forms around each other. I really do struggle with these two areas. Finally a page trying to put the studies into action and see what I'm retaining. They are all from reference and I'm pleased that some of these studies are starting to imprint more permanently on my brain.

Attached Images Attached Images        

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BOO! hey Marian hows things? looks like you have been super busy! I will be back in the new year with a few more words and maybe some art????

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all art and science.
    (Albert Einstein)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to latigid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    latigid: Hey Glenn great to hear from you. I'm doing good thanks and still loving learning how to draw. Be great to see what you've been doing as I've really missed having you around.

Sketches Update:
    Happy New Year to you all. Thought I'd start the New Year off with a couple of self portraits. Not to good for likeness but I think the proportions aren't bad and I really enjoyed doing them.

Last edited by Marian Rowling; January 2nd, 2011 at 03:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Marian, Happy new year to you!! keep up the good work. I like the transition from realistic to cartoon figures. I personally do that a lot. It keeps the imaginative juices flowing!

keep doing those ellipse studies, and always remember that the perfect ellipse is found within a half sphere, and the sphere is found within the framework of a box.

keep pushing yourself, and I hope all goes well with you.

peace.

Behind every great master is a great student...

Imagination is more important than knowledge- Albert Einstein...
    _________
    NEW SKETCHBOOK -- http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...40#post3743640

OLD SKETCHBOOK: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...25#post2543225

8. The Following User Says Thank You to poetry man For This Useful Post:

ThomasM is offline Artist in training.... Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hola Marian!

Nice start to the new year. Whether you think there is a likeness or not doesn't matter so much as both your portraits have some key similarities so you must be doing something right!

The facial proportions in the last couple of posts are looking better, so you are obviously paying more care to getting them just right - always a good sign.

One thing I've noticed is that you have a tendency to make the eye sockets quite deep and perhaps a tad too large overall. Its only a tiny thing but its worth mentioning to avoid that skeletal look that some people develop, where the bone structure is overly prominent.

Looking good, more please!

Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    poetry man: Hey Andre thanks again for the support and help. I am finding that my cartoon heads are helping me a lot to imagine the head in perspective and they are fun to do.

ThomasM: Hey Tom thanks for the kind words and pointing out my eye socket problem. I shall try to watch out for that.

Sketches Update:

Here's an update on my Master study. More Loomis and Blair studies, and some heads from photo ref http://www.flickr.com/photos/themuse...7623741486824/. There is so much to learn about the head that I'm am going to continue studying it until I get a much better understanding of it all. My Life Drawing class starts up again this week so I'm looking forward to it and seeing how much I remember.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you'd benefit from some symmetry practice. Looks like you skew things on one side of an axis.

Something that helps me is to draw a vertical line, then on one side (left or right, it's good to alternate) draw a curving line that broadens out from that central line and returns in different shapes, then try to mirror it on the other side.

Sounds strange, but it really helps

SKETCHBOOK

BLOG

"Only put off till tomorrow, what you are willing to die left undone." -Pablo Picasso

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kiwigarbage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It seems like your using a lot of broken lines... I would suggest blind contour drawings to help you with the line "flow", or consistency. Well, that's just my input personally.

To me, having least amount of broken lines helps with line confidence. One way I have recently learned to achieve line confidence is by using shapes. I believe that element of art is like the second most important one, next to space and line. lol... well, those 3 are what most good art starts from.

:peace: until next time!

Behind every great master is a great student...

Imagination is more important than knowledge- Albert Einstein...
    _________
    NEW SKETCHBOOK -- http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...40#post3743640

OLD SKETCHBOOK: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...25#post2543225

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kiwigarbage: Thanks kiwi that's a great idea and I'm doing it.

poetry man: Hey Andre I hadn't really noticed so thanks for pointing it out. I appreciate your help as I do need to improve my line as I was so indecisive with it in this week's life class.

Life Drawing: Term 5

So after a long break I wasn't expecting it to be easy BUT it was so hard. The class was really hot so it was like drawing in a sauna. Even if it hadn't been really hot I think I still would have been perspiring as the poses were very challenging. It seemed to me that I made a good start and then got progressively worse with each drawing. I was trying to be loose and I just got tighter and my drawings got stiffer and my marks so indecisive. So it's great to be back because I really need this kind of challenge if I'm going to improve. I can't wait to have another go at it next week.

1. 5 min gestures - I thought these weren't bad.
    2. 20 min pose - This seemed to be going ok.
    3. 25 min pose - Then, what's up with the tiny child size chair!
    4. 40 min pose - That old problem of the model moving and my drawing falls apart.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ---VERY NICE STUDYING........ KEEP CREATE 'EM.... GOOD LUCK!.....

Here is my: S-K-E-T-C-H-B-O-O-K

/.....if there is someone from AUSTRALIA especially from SYDNEY on this site, then leave a msg for me, and I really want to meet with you & to making a friends-of course if you'd agree it...............please

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mag-Neo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Marian I just bought (and got in the post today) a very well reviewed book by Anthony Ryder on drawing the figure.

Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Artists-Comp...5374781&sr=8-6

I have only managed to read the first 50 pages so far, but I'm finding it extremely useful. It might be a good one for you to get hold of, so you can get the most out of all these life drawing classes!

Its looking good so keep it up

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can really feel the weight of these figures! Way to capture the gravity with such simple shapes

SKETCHBOOK

BLOG

21. The Following User Says Thank You to kiwigarbage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mag-Neo: Hey Mag-Neo thank you very much for your support.

ThomasM:
    Hey Tom thanks for that. I do have the Anthony Ryder book and I have been trying to approach my master study using his envelope method. Although I have read the whole book I know that I only understood a little and I am sure that I will continue to refer to it as my skills progress. It will be interesting to see what you do with it.

kiwigarbage: Thanks kiwi you are too kind.

Sketches Update:

I'm still drawing heads from the same photo source. I really enjoy doing these. I've been practicing symmetry thanks to Kiwi's suggestion. I think it's a good idea and I've been doing a page of Kiwi's when ever I can. I've also been looking again at Vilppu's teachings especially ellipses and I did another crazy page of biro gestures all from photos. The pears still life was an attempt to do some rendering and study form shadow. Finally a little update on my master study. It has been very slow going and as I refine my envelope I am actually finding it harder, I had thought is would get easier. That said though I always check the accuracy of what I've done after a session with a draw over on perspex and I do think my errors are getting less which is good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the accuracy of that study looks good so far, far better than mine thats for sure. Personally I didn't draw the outline, I just drew it as I went along, rendering as I went - before I had read about the technique of breaking it down to constituent shapes.

I don't have the original in front of me but I would recommend checking the thickness of your arms however. The right one looks very thick in comparison the the left. Sometimes obvious things like that don't appear if you focus in on smaller areas. The left arm's tricep area looks particularly narrow to me, but maybe I'm imagining things.

Keep on working away the improvement is spurning me on to improve myself!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Marian - those heads in #255 - I wonder if you focused less on detail and - at least at first - more on the basic shadow and light shapes ( positive and negative spaces/shapes).. the thing they have in common to me is less about what you might be seeing (observing light and shape in nature) than what you are expecting to see ( symbol-oriented). I like that tony r -style envelope. Tony did evelopes for 6 months - doing hundreds of them before his teacher Ted Seth Jacobs told him "ok stop" now let's move on to a whole figure drawing. That repetition made him so good at them. Careful practice and repetition - things I know you understand - are your best friends! Keep up the good work!

Kevin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yea i would agree with kevin, but u will improve regardless of how u appoach it because it is about repitition and finding wat works for u. keep up the hard work man.

some people just dont have the patience for such a routine kev lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some examples Marian..

HEre's what I was referring to re: our discussion.. still not good shadows shapes but useful for shadow/form blocking-in to more clearly see the shapes!

I screen grabbed them, cropped and tweaked in Powerpoint and then in Office Image software.

-best - Kevin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wazzzap marian
    figure drawings are loking really good! its nice to see more still lifes i really liked the ones on the early pages. more of them please!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ThomasM: Hey Tom now you have the book you know I'm using Anthony Ryder's approach which I find to be similar to the George Bargue plates you may also have heard of. It's not a natural way for me to draw, but I do think the main advantages of this approach are in training the eye to judge distance and angles. I've been struggling with the arms so I will check them as you suggest. With thanks as always.

kevinwueste: Hey Kevin thanks so much for stopping by twice and helping me understand more about shadow shapes. It's a big help. This post is a little something I did when still a bit confused. I also really appreciate the extra info about Tony Ryder. It's very cool that you have studied with him.

Jesus Food:
    Hey Jesus Food, what a cool handle. Thanks so much for your support it is really appreciated.

Raffix: Hey Raffix thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you like the still life's as I do enjoy doing them. I think I get so wrapped up with all my other studies that I just forget to do them. I shall do must best to rectify that.

Shadow shapes:
    This was a drawing I did after reading Kevin's first post about drawing the shadow shapes. Unfortunately as you see the photo refs I've been using are not really good at all for this. Even so I found this drawing very interesting to do thinking about the forms. The little head to the left came after Kevin's second post and was just from imagination thinking about what he said.

Last edited by Marian Rowling; January 23rd, 2011 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Add photo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Felt more relaxed this week plus it wasn't so hot which was good. I decided to go back to doing a little thumbnail sketch first with the longer poses just to help me get a feel for the pose and take a good look at shapes and alignments. I had problems with a heavily foreshortened knee and found the last pose difficult to know how best to start but overall I felt it was going well.

1. 5 min gestures
    2. 45 min pose
    3. 40 min pose

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ---Doing great here..... GOOD LUCK & THANKS FOR THE COMPLEMENT.....

Here is my: S-K-E-T-C-H-B-O-O-K

/.....if there is someone from AUSTRALIA especially from SYDNEY on this site, then leave a msg for me, and I really want to meet with you & to making a friends-of course if you'd agree it...............please

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great work on your life drawing. my local class stopped recently due to low demand. :-( i need to find a new one.

how are you finding loomis? i used it for the stick figure tutorials, but found it not very useful beyond that. it felt too complicated and too old.

my collaborative

join to me to make beautiful drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mag-Neo: Thanks and you are welcome.

Catish: Hey Catish thanks for your kind words. That's a shame about your life drawing class. There just doesn't seem to be much demand for it here in the UK. Hopefully that might change soon. I've been following Loomis' Head and Hands which so far I've found pretty good because I want to practice drawing heads from many different angles. Something I find really difficult to do at the moment, even when I have a picture in front of me!

Sketches Update:
    A couple of pages of gestures from photo ref. I timed myself with these to see what I could do in 2 mins. Two more heads from the photo refs above. I think I over did the rendering on these and made then look a bit hairy....sorry ladies!

Last edited by Marian Rowling; January 25th, 2011 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Add replies

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Marian Rowling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Marian Rowling,

Liked your figure studies very much. Gesture is caught in almost all of them.

As for portraits, in my opinion some of them seem over-detailed, really "hairy" everywhere, all details being equal.
    You may find useful to make face sketches trying to catch only main shapes, lights and shadows. Instead of pencil, gel pen or felt pen are good for this. This also helps great for correct features construction - either from memory or model.

Thank you, and please keep posting!

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Graworks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the one in post #255 (the one with the green red and blue figures). Cool to see all of the dynamic poses on one page like that in different colors. All of these loose gestures will really help you breathe some life into your figure drawings. Measuring to get proportions right in figure drawing is important as well, combined with gesture and they look "alive". I think that you are starting to capture that in your work. I can tell that you are really analyzing the model. As Vilppu says: analyze, don't copy the model

My Sketchbook

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -- Confucius

37. The Following User Says Thank You to purplegoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey marian,

Sorry I haven't stopped by in a few days, but its great to see you've been busy churning out the artworks.

There are just a few places where I think these last portraits could be "tweaked" but apart from that they are a pretty good likeness!

I find a good thing to do once you start to feel like you aren't making any more progress with a portrait is to have a little break from it and come back with "fresh eyes". I leave it for an hour or two and when I come back I really try and block in the basic shapes with my eyes to see whats different.

For example, the woman with the broad chin in the photo. Our left (her right) cheek is angled in the drawing to slope in towards her chin but in the photo it is almost vertical. holding up your pencil to any obvious vertical or horizontals helps me during this process.

I hope that helps. The "fresh eyes" thing really gives you a chance to see the piece anew.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Graworks: Hey Graworks thanks for your kind words and the tip about using felt tip pens. It's a good idea and I shall give it a go.

purplegoat: Hey PG so glad you like my multi coloured biro gestures. You are right I am trying to analyse and fully understand what I'm drawing rather than just blindly copying.

ThomasM: Hey Tom thanks for that. I know when I was drawing it I thought her face was too broad now it looks to narrow to me. So "fresh eyes" indeed is the way to go.

I really enjoyed myself at this week's class and I feel quite pleased with my efforts.

1. 5 min gestures.
    2. 45 min pose.
    3. 40 min pose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Marian! I just wanted to add a little comment about the shadow shapes study in post #261. The thing I'm noticing is that your shapes are good but there is a problem with the values (relative to each other). For example the shadow directly under the chin should be one of darkest skin shadows. While the shadow around the nose should be a lot lighter. I think if you adjusted the values so that they sit well relative to each other, your shadow shapes study will really start to come alive!

41. The Following User Says Thank You to redpandafire For This Useful Post:

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 164