Page 5 of 72 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: Middle aged madness: First signs

Thanks
    Ivan Turcin: Hey Ivan thanks so much for stopping by. Your SB is great so I really appreciate your help and advice.

latigid: Hey Glenn I'm good thanks I hope you are well. I would love to say I did have a full grasp of Bridgman but I think its still early days yet. The photographer guy was one of those break through moments when everything just feels right. Alas it came and went quite quickly. The skull was a good study to do and you learn a lot. I do like doing the Bargues but they are so hard and try though I may things always look a little off. Thanks as always for your continued support.

Izer: Thanks so much for you encouragement Izer it really does help.

Chronberg:
    Hey there! Glad you like the skull I learned a lot doing it. I shall make sure I do some more, probably after checking your SB to see what your copying. Thanks for stopping by.

Sketches

I'm still focusing on trying to visualise Bridgman's blocks and masses. I still find it really difficult to draw the blocks in the correct perspective but I do think it's good practice to keep trying. I continue to be inspired by the community here and so I've carried on trying to do self portraits.

1. Bargue study in Bridgman style.
    2. Bridgman.
    3. Self portraits from photo. Not a good likeness.
    4. Loomis study in Bridgman style.
    5. Gestures of my Dad.
    6. Self portrait in biro using webcam.
    7. Jack Hamm study.
    8. Self portrait using mirror.
    9. Self portrait in charcoal and charcoal pencil using mirror.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hey Marian good to see you are still working hard! The Bridgeman Bargue study is real good shows you are getting to understand the underlying structure i really like the gestures of your dad too he looks like an intelligent guy sat there probably reading your Bargue book i would have thought?! Also good to see you still doing the self portraits i am finding it real hard to get motivated to do more of those myself maybe i should dig out some props and start doing them with hats on and fake moustaches! Keep going and dont stop posting
    Take care

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all art and science.
    (Albert Einstein)

Thanks
    Hi Marian, thanks for dropping by my sketchbook.

Lots of interesting life drawing sessions and thoses bridgemans come nicely.

Speaking about the perspective, if you are having issues try to isolate the problem from the rest. For example you can follow a basic tutorial about perspective (there is many accross the web). Then you can try to apply it by drawing simple cubes, houses, streets... It only takes few hours but can be helpfull for the rest of your life
    ] Teh Latecomers Sketch Group

~ Me, Myself and I ~ Krel ~ UrbanHermit

Thanks
    latigid: Hey Glenn your comments about my Dad will make him happy as he is indeed an intelligent guy! Thanks so much for your continued support I hope you know its appreciated. I will be looking out for your 'dressing up' self portraits. As we approach Christmas maybe you could do yourself as a Santa or a little Elf with great BIG ears.

DiR3Kt: Thanks for coming to mine and posting. Your comments are kind and appreciated. You are right about my perspective issues and I am grateful for your advice.

Life Drawing class Week 8 (18.11.09)

1. Quick warm up sketches

2. 35 min pose: I really struggled with this one. First I had the head to big and I just couldn't work the legs out, hard though I tried. Also the model kept moving her arms really out of position which caused some confusion in the arm area.

3. 35 min pose: I felt things went much better with this pose and I felt my measuring was working out. Sadly again the model kept moving her head out of position so the teacher called an end to the pose as some of the other students were complaining in subtle ways. I would have liked to continued with it.

4. 10 min pose: I was too tired to make a proper effort with this one. I just approached it like a quick warm up and it shows! I was pleased with the shape of her foot on the stool rung.

Thanks
    Sketches

1. Trying to Bridgmanise my life drawing.
    2. Mathew De Marco study working on measuring.
    3. Another life drawing Bridgmanised.
    4-11. 90 secs Posemaniacs.com drawings.
    12. Playing with charcoal in a study of my life drawing.
    13. My eye from life. Eye tutorial by Jesse McGibney. My studies from the Anatomy for Artists by the brilliant Marshall Vandruff.
    14. Preston Blair rabbit and more studies listening to Marshall Vandruff.

Thanks
    Life Drawing class - Week 9 (25.11.09)

1. Quick poses
    2. Long pose: 40 mins. Things didn't start out so good with this one however I kept trying and did manage to get the basic shape. A lot of work even though it doesn't look like it.
    3. Long pose: 45 mins. I was only allowed to make very short marks with the side of the charcoal. It was really hard work but it got me to focus on all the different angles of the body. Have to say I was surprised with the result and pleased.

Thanks
    Hey man thanks for checking my sketchbook pretty regularly.
    That last 45min study where you only used short marks is great. You really notice improvements when it comes to life drawing. Keep it up man.

Thanks
    Josh Murr: Hey Josh thanks for returning the favour and your words of encouragement. I do really enjoy life drawing even though my results are inconsistent. I do sometimes surprise myself and hope those surprises are glimmers of what is to come if I keep at it.

Life Drawing class - Week 10 (2.12.09)

1. Quick warm up sketches. I was actually pleased with how the bottom right one turned out.
    2. Long pose 35 mins. I think the left hand thigh is too skinny and I had trouble with the right hand foot due to the foreshortening. That aside I was enjoying this pose.
    3. Long pose 40 mins. I tried starting this one by using the side of the charcoal to try to block in the whole forms of the model, Although I captured the whole pose quickly I wasn't very accurate and had to go back and change all my proportions. Ended up being a messy drawing.

Thanks
    Finally checked out your SB, you draw very nicely and your still-lifes and studies are great! One thing I'm noticing though is a stiffness in your drawings of people. If you haven't tried gesture drawing yet, I recommend it... basically in a 30 or 60-second pose, you draw the model in a quick, fluid motion without lifting your pencil (or charcoal) from the paper. It's important to look mostly at the model and just glance at your drawing every now & then. I usually start with a 'line of action' down the spine but there are other ways that work too. this is a pretty good example of gesture drawing. Once you've warmed up with that, your longer poses will start to look more fluid too.

Good luck, keep up the great work
    Arish in the Mirror - Self-Portrait page

Sketchbook

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Arish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Can I encourage you to get a copy of Anthony Ryder's book on figure drawing, as this will show you a great way of doing good observational long-pose life-drawing; And Richard Williams' "Animators Survival Guide" as this will explain things you need to know about dynamic poses, gait, and weight-balance.

While life-drawing is an important thing to do, I think a lot of UK life-drawing classes are run very poorly, with lots of short poses just leading to people struggling to get figures down very rapidly, with poor proportions, balance, etc. Accuracy is better taught in the first instance from cast-drawing and from very long-poses; and then short poses can be used for gestural drawing and understanding of weight-distribution and dynamic poses - rather than being used (as they often are in UK life-classes run by people who have no idea what life-classes are actually for, other than that they are "artistic") to try to get down lots of very quick (and rushed, bad) versions of what should be long-pose drawings.

A group of us meet up informally at the V&A on friday afternoons and evenings from 2pm through to about 9pm to draw from sculptures there (and discuss art). If you could get up from Farnborough, you would be very welcome to join us.

Dave

Thanks
    Hey Marian i am alive but only just! been really ill then my partner got it and finally little Oliver came down with it so its been a horrid time really but im back on track now! Wow you have been busy in here i love the posemaniacs stuff do you find they help you at all? My favourite has to be the short mark figure in post#58 i think its quite beautiful and your life drawings are improving in leaps and bounds keep cracking at it. Oh and congrats on reaching page 3 see ya soon

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all art and science.
    (Albert Einstein)

Thanks
    Arish: Thanks so much for stopping by I really do appreciate it. Your observations are spot on about the stiffness in my figure drawing. I do actually even feel stiff and awkward when I am drawing sometimes so your tips and link are great thanks.

dcorc: Hi Dave you can indeed encourage me to get Anthony Ryder's book as I do have it on my wish list already. I brought Richard Williams book many years ago as I am an Animation fan. I had no idea though that it could help with my life drawing studies. In the past I just enjoyed looking at the drawings. Maybe I should get it of the shelf and draw from it.

Thanks for your comments on Life drawing classes the one I attend is only a night school class. So its only a 2 hour lesson once a week. My teacher is always emphasising the importance of first observing and often says 'if you only get two accurate lines down its better than a complete inaccurate drawing'. I try to start by marking the top and bottom and then progress to break that down to find shoulder, hip, knee, elbow and hand position, observing and comparing as I measure. However I still don't think my measuring is accurate and my figures will end up getting shorter and shorter!! It is the very first marks that i find the hardest. When I am uncertain on how to start and proceed the drawing doesn't go well and just gets more confused. I did look into buying a cast however I can't find any UK suppliers so I brought the Charles Bargue book instead. I'm currently copying the first plate of eyes from the book.

I would love to meet and draw with you and the others. Sadly the train ticket is expensive and not something I can afford at the moment. I have it on my wish list though so hopefully in the not to distant future I will be able to join you and maybe even convince latigid to come as well. Thanks once again Dave for taking the time to help and support me I really do appreciate it.

latigid: Phew Glenn am I glad to hear from you. I was worrying so I'm glad you're alive but so sorry to hear you've all been really ill. In answer to your question about posemaniacs I did find doing them was a lot of fun and I found it quite addictive doing page after page after page. I did them in an effort to loosen myself up and to try and capture that joy you have when you draw as a young child. Do you remember just drawing because you enjoyed it and proudly handing your scribbles to your parents to display on the fridge without the fear that it didn't look good! I've lead a very regimented and routine life, which I think shows in the stiff lines and awkwardness of my drawings. So I think just letting myself go occasionally may help in the long run.....or am I just going barking mad.

I think the short mark pose in post #58 is my best result to date. Its strange though because I can't repeat what I did. I'm hoping its a glimmer of what's to come. So good to have you back Glenn. Don't forget you promised to do a self portrait in a silly hat.....I'll be checking up on you to see it.

Life Drawing class - Week 11 (9.12.09)

I have signed up for the next term of life drawing class as next week will be our last class.

1. Quick warm up sketches. I just really try to feel the pose with these.

2. Long pose - 30 mins. I messed up my measuring again with the right leg and I think the head looks big again. Another stiff, awkward drawing.

3. Long pose - 45 mins. I think sensing I was struggling this week my teacher covered the paper with charcoal for me and instructed me to use my putty rubber to draw with first, then going back in with the charcoal after, but only use the side, no lines. My first attempts were bad but I kept trying and then got quite into it. I was quite pleased with the way the straight leg and foot tucked behind came out. I felt I had captured some form although overall I felt the drawing lacked contrast. I enjoyed doing this though as it felt more like painting would and I got very hands on with it.

Thanks
    Hey! Thank you, for the encouragement. Made my evening
    I love your more technical work (something I wish I could make myself sit down and do more often. ) Your studies show a high understanding of the concepts being explained. Thank you for sharing.
    |blog | deviantart | cgsociety | sketchbook | Also: TerminalFears |

Page 5 of 72 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 ... LastLast