Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Sirkenneth: I really appreciate your feedback and insight into your methods of breaking down the figure. You have a clear and interesting way of explaining things that makes sense to me. I'm really struggling with getting my basic body proportions and angles right at the moment, so your help and support has come just at the right time. Thankyou so much for coming back and taking the time to comment.

Life Drawing class Week 5 (14.10.09)

1. Quick warm up sketches
    2. Long pose about 30mins - Really struggled with the legs.
    3. Long pose about 45mins - I tried to slow down with this and focus on looking at the model and working out how to measure and get down the basic proportions and angles.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    nice star so far! You're doing a lot of studies, which is good, as it's the fastest way to improve.

I might suggest doing some more value studies to balance out your contour line studies. They help build two different skills.

Thanks
    Sublimus: Thanks so much for your feedback. In my eagerness to learn I don't always realise what I'm not studying enough of so I really appreciate your help.

6.10.09 - 15.10.09 Sketches

1. Work in progress (W.I.P.) Ron Tiner study
    2. Bridgman study and pose from www.characterdesigns.com
    3. Walt Reed study
    4. Raphael study
    5. Tonal study
    6. Michelangelo study

Thanks
    Hey Marian thanks for stopping by my little old sketchbook from looking at yours i see i have some catching up to do to get to your pencil level, i love your bridgeman studies something i will be diving into soon! I also got the structure of man from Riven Phoenix thought i had learnt loads and then seemed to forget it all! but i am sure it will all help in the end. Also i think i may have to find a life drawing class near me looks like fun and attempting to draw with "kitchen roll paper, tin foil, sponge, newspaper, plastic and a sweet chestnut still in its prickly case" now thats just plain insane!! Keep at it i say your doing great!

tis indeed a small world whereabouts in Bucks does your sister live?

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all art and science.
    (Albert Einstein)

Thanks
    really nice work keep posting.

MY SKETCHBOOK
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=171543

Thanks
    latigid: Thanks for your kind words. I had to laugh as I did exactly the same as you with regard to Riven Phoenix. There's so much I want to learn that I have tended to jump from one to the other. I would highly recommend taking a life class if you can as you learn so much.

extremeilustrator: Thankyou for your kind words of encouragement. Its great to have feedback from fellow artists.

Life Drawing class Week 6 (21.10.09)

I really enjoyed myself this week. We had a lovely young women modelling who I found really interesting to draw. Although it might not be obvious from my drawings I was also pleased that I planned and filled the A1 paper with my poses. By slowing down and spending more time studying the model I was able to get a more accurate drawing of the proportions and angles. I was especially pleased with my attempt at the laying down pose as the foreshortening was really challenging. The sitting pose looks wrong to me I think the head is too big.

2. Long pose 30mins
    3. Long pose 45mins

Thanks
    It's great that your starting to slow down and really observe your models, someone told me that you should spend about 70% of your time observing, and 30% drawing. Really forces you to focus on shapes and contours and such. Life drawing will help your drawing so much so keep up the good work. With your seated pose, I think her legs are too short and thin as oppose to the head being too big.

Peace
    Dan

Thanks
    It's great you're starting to take the time to really focus on your model. Someone once told me that about 70% of your time should be spent observing when life drawing. Forces you to really focus on shapes and contours and such. Life drawing will help your skills develop no end so keep up the good work. With your seated pose, I think her legs are too short and thin as oppose to her head being too big.

Peace
    Dan

Thanks
    Thanks for sharing your sketchbook! I'm 35 years old and just started learning how to draw. Your sketchbook is inspiring

I like the studies you've done. I've been working through the Jack Hamm "Drawing the Head and Figure" book so it's good to see someone else doing studies from Hamm as well.

I'll keep an eye on your sketchbook to see what you're up to. Keep it up!
    My Sketchbook

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -- Confucius

Thanks
    Hey Marian thanx for the encouragement in my SB!! Where have you been? and where are the updates? Hope to see some soon. Take care

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all art and science.
    (Albert Einstein)

Thanks
    danlambert: Hi Dan thanks for stopping by again. I really appreciate your help and advice. Thanks for the feedback on the seated pose I can see its not right but I can't always see what's wrong.

purplegoat: Hi and welcome to CA.org. Thanks so much for your kind comments you made me feel really good about what I've done. I just started with Jack Hamm and then I found looking at fellow members sketchbooks gave me loads of inspiration and direction of what to study. I shall be popping in on your sketchbook to see how your doing.

Latigid: Thanks for checking up on me I was away last week but fear not I took Bridgman with me for company and you inspired me to do a self portrait.

16.10.09 - 1.11.09 Sketches

No life drawing post for last week as it was half term. I've been way helping relatives so I thought I would take the opportunity to draw them. Have to save I failed at capturing any likeness, partially due to my skills, or lack there of, and partially due to my relatives being a couple of fidget bum fairies. I so admire artists that can capture people quickly. I hope I can get to that level some day.

Also inspired last week by fellow members Latigid and JoshMurr to have a go at a self portrait. I used the computer webcam instead of a mirror and I have to say, unfortunately, I do really look like this. Finished my week even more inspired by the self portrait day thread (http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=171682) so decided to have another go.

1. WIP - Study of Raphael’s study of David by Michelangelo
    2. Bridgman + Raphael study
    3. Digital from imagination - not a self portrait!
    4. Bridgman study
    5. Relatives + my feet.
    6. Self portrait + Bridgman study
    7. WIP - Bridgman study
    8. Bridgman study
    9. Self portrait for November 1st Self portrait day. Done in Photoshop from webcam still.

Thanks
    your still life studies are very good. Practice makes perfect. Nice to see you're doing proportion studies. Way to go

Thanks
    Hey Marian how are you? Its good to see you took mr Bridgeman away with you! And really nice to know i have actually inspired someone The Bridgeman studies are really good got a nice sense of weight to them and your PS SP is awesome much better than my attempt!!
    I also really like you stylised head i thought it was your SP at first and that maybe you had giraffe relations! keep on posting and dont stop drawing! I am contemplating doing a Bargue study but im not sure i can handle it ill keep you posted!
    Take care

(Albert Einstein)

Thanks
    Ivan Turcin: Thanks so much for your kind comments.

latigid: I'm good thanks hope you are. Yes you did inspire me as I thought your last SP was great. Thanks again for the kind comments I, and my giraffe relations..hehe..., really do appreciate your continued support. I've been doing Bargue drawings and I really enjoy it. Takes a lot of time but I think it makes you really focus on training your eyes. I reckon you should go for it. Happy drawing.

Life Drawing class Week 7 (4.11.09)

Glad to be back at class. Same model this week as the first week. I'm still focusing on observing so there's not much to see in the long poses.

2. This is my attempt at drawing the model while he was constantly moving in a circle stepping up on a chair then onto a table then jumping down. Teacher said it didn't work because there was no motion in my marks and my marks weren't interesting. To be honest I was stumped by this exercise and didn't really know what to do. At least next time I'll know not what to do.
    3. Long pose 20mins
    4. Long pose 50mins

Thanks
    Sketches 2.11.09 - 4.11.09

1. Bargue progress
    2. Ron Tiner study:
    a. My progress. I stopped because I could see it didn't look right but I couldn't see why.
    b. Original (in red) overlayed on my drawing (black). I could see I was way off and had drawn everything over to the right.
    c. My drawing all erased except the feet which were nearly accurate. Ready to try again.
    d. Quick studies simplifying the drawing.

Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 ... LastLast